• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
plagiarize said:
edit: this is a pretty unique release with little to compare to. it isn't an all new release. it's a side story without the franchises poster boy with largely recycled multiplayer. expecting too much from it is i think unfair.

It is the only place ot get the last 3 maps in the mythic map pack for Halo 3.. so a good chunk of the Halo 3 multiplayer base will be buying it to move on.

Firefight will also wind up pushing a good number of Halo multiplayer guys into purchasing it.

It also has a really killer ad going for it.. which is very likely to hype up fans of the Halo franchise that might not have it on their radar otherwise. The 'limited' single player may not be a concern for the more casual Halo fans simply because they have no idea what the game is about going into it. We may know that the single player is a departure for the series.. but most people aren't as in tune to the games development as GAFers.

orion434

plagiarize said:
yes. i'm in a monthly sales thread. i'm not in a 'make up nonsense metrics' thread.

from a real world gamer/market perspective yes.

developers and publishers won't care which console has the larger install base if we see PS3 software and hardware doing better month on month in the charts. they will focus their development on PS3 more than 360 because that will be where the money currently is.

to me, talking about install base is fantasy football geekery. if you're openly doing that, i have no issues. if you're arguing that it MEANS something, then yeah, i'm going to debate that cause it doesn't.

it's like people that argue that Microsoft or Sony have to make back all their previous losses for their gaming divisions to be seen as a success when that's completely ignorant of the reality of business.

we can look to the past to help predict trends going forwards. no question. but no developer is going to go 'sure the 360 is outselling the Wii now, but it didn't for three years so lets spend our money developing Wii games' should your scenario occur.

aligned launches, install base, etc etc. it's all just bragging rights that have little to no meaning in the business world.

as a gamer i care about the metrics that decide which games are made, how much is spent on them and which systems they will launch on, and when it comes to that, yes, the only thing that counts is how things have been doing over the last few months.

I agree all that "Fantasy Football Geekery" is useless in the business world because it's what's happening TODAY that matters. From a business perspective there is WAY more that determines how much resources are allocated per project. There are people out that that make good $$$ trying to predict those trends... those people are not us, the only way WE matter is with out Wallet :D

I'm obsessed with statistics I confess... I'm a Physicist :D

rayner said:
I'm obsessed with statistics I confess... I'm a Physicist :D
my condolences to your family. ;)

Launch time differences are important though, and so you have to take them into account, although they get less important as time goes on. In the first year of the PS3 and Wii's release it would have been pointless to make a direct comparison to the 360 without acknowledging the launch difference.
important to who? useful to who?

comparing the sales of the PS3 and the Wii to the 360 in a year with completely different market conditions told us pretty much nothing.

the PS3 was ahead in aligned launch, but that 'trend' didn't continue, and is it failed to sell more than the 360 was doing at the same time, it only lost ground on the system.

someone smarter than me described the 360's first year as being like practice laps. all that counted for anything was how it was selling once the competition was on the market.

logic would say it should have sold WORSE with the new competition. no one would have been talking about aligned launches if the PS3 did what the Wii did and outsold the 360 out of the gate.

it was desperate searching for a consolation prize, and it was sad to see it happening, just as it would have been meaningless to see 360 fanboys talking install base if the PS3 had outsold it from the beginning.

StoOgE said:
It is the only place ot get the last 3 maps in the mythic map pack for Halo 3.. so a good chunk of the Halo 3 multiplayer base will be buying it to move on.

Firefight will also wind up pushing a good number of Halo multiplayer guys into purchasing it.

It also has a really killer ad going for it.. which is very likely to hype up fans of the Halo franchise that might not have it on their radar otherwise. The 'limited' single player may not be a concern for the more casual Halo fans simply because they have no idea what the game is about going into it. We may know that the single player is a departure for the series.. but most people aren't as in tune to the games development as GAFers.
it's going to sell well, of course, but expecting it to push hardware is i think unfair. i'm not saying it won't, i'm saying it's unfair to expect it to (and then to criticize it if it fails to).

it's setting the bar unreasonably high.

Jokeropia

Moonstone said:
Wow Playstation family outsells the DS alone!
Nope. DS is ~100k above PS3 + PS2 + PSP.
EazyB said:
I don't think ODST will give the 360 a Halo 3 level bump but it should help move a few units if it's marketed heavily enough. Is there anything coming out on the Wii in September to reverse its downward trend? If not I can easily see the 360 outselling it, it's already gotten close with no major releases.
Wii is up month on month. Moreso than 360, actually.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Madden 07 and 08 PS3 ran at half the framerate with worse textures than the 360 verison in both cases, 360 version (and logo) is used in all commercials to this day, and PS3 owners still bought it then and still buy it now.

Madden 07 and 08 both reviewed well, both controlled well (based on the content of those reviews), had exclusive content, and were one of only a handful of online games (and an even smaller subset of online sports games) on Wii. And they still sold like shit.
Madden 07 and 08 actually sold similarly (LTD) on Wii and PS3. (08 thanks to better legs.)

gerg

Jokeropia said:
Madden 07 and 08 actually sold similarly (LTD) on Wii and PS3. (08 thanks to better legs.)

I forgot about that. What were the sales of both titles in the end? I guess my earlier statement was a bit rash. Madden's poor sales now are most likely the fault of EA's handling of the series, alienating the (small?) audience they once held. I can't remember whether or not they were particularly impressive X years ago, but they probably represent a better investment on the Wii than FPSs would ever have.

wazoo

Funny thing is that Madden Wii would be a good start for expanding this franchise outside US. For us, europeans, Madden is way more too complex to handle.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
wazoo said:
Funny thing is that Madden Wii would be a good start for expanding this franchise outside US. For us, europeans, Madden is way more too complex to handle.

Sports games are pretty much only purchased by fans of that sport. I don't see Madden ever selling well outside of North America until football actually becomes popular in other parts of the world (if ever).

You could come out with the best cricket or Rugby game in the world and it wouldn't sell well in the US because people here don't watch those sports in large numbers.

F1 games have done somewhat well in the past in the states, but that is more a product of it having something of a fanbase over here.. but probably more because it's just viewed as a racing game over here (like how Forza or GT sell well over here despite us not watching that kind of racing in the US)

botticus

gerg said:
I forgot about that. What were the sales of both titles in the end? I guess my earlier statement was a bit rash. Madden's poor sales now are most likely the fault of EA's handling of the series, alienating the (small?) audience they once held. I can't remember whether or not they were particularly impressive X years ago, but they probably represent a better investment on the Wii than FPSs would ever have.
(heavily rounded: 07 -> 08)
Wii: ~400k -> ~700k
PS3: ~400k -> ~800k

They cultivated the PS3 (and obviously 360) audience by doing what they always do - providing an updated version the next year. With the Wii, they instead decided to rebrand the game every year, adding and removing features seemingly at random. 09 saw a 50% increase for PS3 and nothing for Wii.

gerg said:
I don't think a Star Wars game - a brand perhaps on par with LEGO and Disney - can give us much conclusive evidence as to the specific demographics of Wii owners.
Regardless of who actually bought it, it was marketed specifically to the "core gamer" demographic, and it sold on a console believed not to have such a demographic.

Besides there are countless other examples of third party Wii games kljfwelajrle fuck it

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StoOgE said:
Sports games are pretty much only purchased by fans of that sport. I don't see Madden ever selling well outside of North America until football actually becomes popular in other parts of the world (if ever).

You could come out with the best cricket or Rugby game in the world and it wouldn't sell well in the US because people here don't watch those sports in large numbers.

F1 games have done somewhat well in the past in the states, but that is more a product of it having something of a fanbase over here.. but probably more because it's just viewed as a racing game over here (like how Forza or GT sell well over here despite us not watching that kind of racing in the US)
Exactly.

Vinci

Danish
Madden is basically screwed on the Wii currently. It would've served them better to do one of two things: Either go feature-perfect as close as they could with the Wii version or steal PES's brilliant use of the pointer and adapt it towards Madden in some fashion. Make it distinct enough to be worth double-dipping for people.

gerg

botticus said:
(heavily rounded: 07 -> 08)
Wii: ~400k -> ~700k
PS3: ~400k -> ~800k

They cultivated the PS3 (and obviously 360) audience by doing what they always do - providing an updated version the next year. With the Wii, they instead decided to rebrand the game every year, adding and removing features seemingly at random. 09 saw a 50% increase for PS3 and nothing for Wii.

Hmm... I was wrong. I think an audience for Madden, at least, could have been cultivated on the Wii.

I still think this is consistent with my belief that FPSs were always doomed on the system, however. Is a large portion of the appeal of madden something akin to online play? I wouldn't know.

Aaron Strife said:
Regardless of who actually bought it, it was marketed specifically to the "core gamer" demographic, and it sold on a console believed not to have such a demographic.

Besides there are countless other examples of third party Wii games kljfwelajrle fuck it

I'm glad you take my point seriously enough to give it a decent response.

I never said that the Wii doesn't have a one or two million 18-35 male audience. I never said that third party games sell badly on the Wii. I did, however, make a mistake with painting a far too broad brush-stroke with my theories about the potentiality that certain genres had to sell well on the system.

Xeke

Banned
StoOgE said:
ODST is going to move some Hardware.

Halo 2 moved hardware long after Halo 1 had come out. Gears 2 moved hardware long after Gears 1 came out.

It won't move Halo 3 levels of hardware, but it is going to be significant..

You have the wrong analogy all together.

Halo 1 is to Halo 2 as Gears 1 is to Gears 2.
Halo 1 is to Halo 2 as Halo 3 is to Halo 4, not ODST.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
plagiarize said:
important to who? useful to who?

comparing the sales of the PS3 and the Wii to the 360 in a year with completely different market conditions told us pretty much nothing.
Important to anyone interested in predicting what is going to happen in the future. Just looking at monthly sales figures, the majority of development would have stayed on the PS2, except that everyone knew it was coming to the end of its lifetime. If you don't take into account launch dates and just take into account monthly sales then the PS2 seems to be the way to go in 2006, maybe the 360 and forget the PS3 and Wii.
From the archive:

HW Sales (month and LTD)
Nintendo DS 1.6 mm 9.2 mm
PS2 1.4 mm 37.1 mm
GBA 850.7 K 35.1 mm
Xbox 360 1.1 mm 4.5 mm
Wii 604.2 K 1.1 mm
PSP 953.2 K 6.7 mm
PS3 490.7 K 687.3 K

Top 10 Video Games - December 2006
360 GEARS OF WAR - MICROSOFT 815.7 K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR - ACTIVISION 805.2 K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 - ELECTRONIC ARTS 737.1 K
GCN LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 532.9 K
WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 519.2 K
PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2007 - THQ 484.5 K
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS - NINTENDO 427.5 K
360 CALL OF DUTY 3 - ACTIVISION 410.8 K
NDS YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 - NINTENDO 407.2 K
PS2 CALL OF DUTY 3 - ACTIVISION 365.3 K

Top 10 Video Games - Annual 2006
PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 - ELECTRONIC ARTS 2.8 mm
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS - NINTENDO 2.0 mm
360 GEARS OF WAR - MICROSOFT 1.8 mm
PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS II - SQUARE ENIX 1.7 mm
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR - ACTIVISION 1.3 mm
PS2 FINAL FANTASY XII - SQUARE ENIX 1.3 mm
NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN - NINTENDO 1.1mm
360 MADDEN NFL 07 - ELECTRONIC ARTS 1.1mm
360 TOM CLANCY'S GRAW - UBISOFT 1.0 mm
PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 07- ELECTRONIC ARTS 1.0 mm

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Vinci said:
Madden is basically screwed on the Wii currently. It would've served them better to do one of two things: Either go feature-perfect as close as they could with the Wii version or steal PES's brilliant use of the pointer and adapt it towards Madden in some fashion. Make it distinct enough to be worth double-dipping for people.

Here's the version (Madden '08) that started it all.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/ea_games.html

PS3/360 Problems
• Players disappearing from free agent pool in franchise mode
• Connection problems during online play
• Substantial lag during online play
• System freezes
• Changing a player's uniform number changes his age
• Yearly player statistics are greatly inflated, sometimes giving a quarterback 50 or more touchdowns in a year

Wii Problems
• Kickers missing many of their field goal attempts in SuperStar mode
• Regular system freezes
• Connection problems during online play
• Substantial lag during online play
• Offensive players, including quarterbacks, being placed on special teams plays
• Quarterbacks often don't hand off the ball as they are supposed to during running plays
• 'No huddles' occur at random
• “No huddles' result in offsides penalties
• Quarterbacks automatically throwing the ball as soon as it is hiked

I've come across a lot of material in regards to it, but that had a solid list, so I decided to use it. PS360 users got patches of course, fixing most of the serious issues, and there aren't many reported problems with the ps2 version, so guess who got left out in the cold? Oh, I checked, and EA didn't even do a disc replacement for that version either.

Edit : Forgot to mention what version it was. D'oh!

Vinci

Danish
Oh I'm not saying they didn't bork the Wii version all the way to hell and back, I'm just saying to revitalize it at all those are the only options I see.

Xeke said:

Halo 1 and 2 are far more unique cases than blood Gears. Not saying ODST fits, but Halo 1 and 2 definitely don't fit.

The only thing really comparable is Episode 1/2. ODST might as well be the orange box of Halo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
vanguardian1 said:
Here's the version problems that started it all.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/ea_games.html

PS3/360 Problems

Wii Problems

I've come across a lot of material in regards to it, but that had a solid list, so I decided to use it. PS360 users got patches of course, fixing most of the serious issues, and there aren't many reported problems with the ps2 version, so guess who got left out in the cold? Oh, I checked, and EA didn't even do a disc replacement for that version either.

wow

I had no idea there's been so many problems with various versions of Madden over the last few years. That's ridiculous. I'm glad I haven't bought Madden since the 2003 edition.

gerg said:
I'm glad you take my point seriously enough to give it a decent response.

I never said that the Wii doesn't have a one or two million 18-35 male audience. I never said that third party games sell badly on the Wii. I did, however, make a mistake with painting a far too broad brush-stroke with my theories about the potentiality that certain genres had to sell well on the system.
No prob.

I guess it just gets annoying for me when you've got armchair analysts who decide that some niche shit like Madworld is reflective of every third party game on the Wii, ever, and then make excuses for the games that do sell well ("Oh, Guitar Hero is a casual game," "Oh, Resident Evil is a franchise," "Oh, Force Unleashed only did well because of Star Wars"). If that wasn't your intention then I apologize.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Vinci said:
Oh I'm not saying they didn't bork the Wii version all the way to hell and back, I'm just saying to revitalize it at all those are the only options I see.

I quoted you to give a list of problems with Madden 08, I wasn't trying to disagree. I should have quoted the person on the previous page who made it sound like the PS3 version was the worst.

vanguardian1 said:
You REALLY don't know what you're talking about here. Your NCAA comment already proves it, so I'll be nice and humor you with an answer anyways.

The franchise is dead on Wii because of how EA has treated it, not the audience OR the hardware. Madden would be dead on any other platform as well if it were treated the same as they did with Madden on Wii, it's been nothing more than a feign of support for the console.

I don't know why you are focusing just on Madden Wii. EA has mishandled Madden on all platforms, the continued YOY deterioration of sales demonstrates that. Madden increasingly only sells to a certain audience, and much of that audience is not pleased at how EA has handled the series.

gerg

Aaron Strife said:
No prob.

I guess it just gets annoying for me when you've got armchair analysts who decide that some niche shit like Madworld is reflective of every third party game on the Wii, ever, and then make excuses for the games that do sell well ("Oh, Guitar Hero is a casual game," "Oh, Resident Evil is a franchise," "Oh, Force Unleashed only did well because of Star Wars"). If that wasn't your intention then I apologize.

I understand. All I'm trying to do is find out why FPSs games are so popular, and whether or not the sales of games targeted at a similar demographic are indicative of whether or not a market for FPSs ever existed on the Wii. If they are, I imagine that's because they are successful for the same reason that FPSs are.

Previously I have stated that the market for FPSs and their ilk (Western 18-35 males), if offered the same game but with either better graphics or motion controls, would generally choose the former over the latter. The fact that Madden has been relatively successful on the Wii, especially in comparison with the PS3 version, may throw a wrench in this theory. What were Madden sales last generation? When the FPS genre expands so greatly - as with CoD 4 - it may be easier to theorise about the percentage of FPS fans who actively care for motion controls. Are Madden sales indicative of a fanbase that has yet to move ship? In any case, I don't think that comparing the Wii version of Madden solely to the PS3 version is entirely fair. I think it is much more ingenuous to compare it to the totality of HD Madden sales.

markatisu

Danthrax said:
wow

I had no idea there's been so many problems with various versions of Madden over the last few years. That's ridiculous. I'm glad I haven't bought Madden since the 2003 edition.

Well the problems with the Wii version started with Madden 08

Madden 07 was good, it introduced motion controls but had shitty bad early PS2 graphics (I swear my copy of Madden from the Gamecube was better looking)

Madden 08 was pure shit, the online was borked to hell, as well as all the problems listed there

Madden 09 was an attempt to go back to Madden 07 with polish but instead they pushed All Play over the pointer controls

Madden 10 had the same problems, its a MUCH better game than Madden 07-09 but they changed the art style and them over-emphasized the casual no experience option

Madden 10 has a full fledged "hardcore" Madden game inside but you have to go through a series of menus and turn on every advanced aspect of the game. "Core" players do not even try and nobody will listen to anyone who tries to tell them and thats EA's fault as they should have allowed you to customize when you wanted, not forced casual and hid core

This may seem totally random, but how do you guys think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex is going to sell? (yes, that's the name of the COD4 Wii port)

While World at War sold a good amount on Wii (over a million), I'm uncertain about this game's sales. Part of the reason WaW sold so much is because it got a sudden boost in TV advertisement the second month after it's release. Being a 2 year old port, I don't think Activision is going to have any TV ads for this game. All of their ads are going to be for the sequel, Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah...so I'm not too hopeful.

markatisu

Rush2thestart said:
This may seem totally random, but how do you guys think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex is going to sell? (yes, that's the name of the COD4 Wii port)

While World at War sold a good amount on Wii (over a million), I'm uncertain about this game's sales. Part of the reason WaW sold so much is because it got a sudden boost in TV advertisement the second month after it's release. Being a 2 year old port, I don't think Activision is going to have any TV ads for this game. All of their ads are going to be for the sequel, Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah...so I'm not too hopeful.

Activision could hope that the name itself will sell since they will be blitzing TV for Modern Warfare 2

You can probably expect the same ~1m who picked up COD WaW Wii to get COD4, if they had wanted the HD version they would have bought the HD version of WaW in the first place...same goes for COD4

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
markatisu said:
Well the problems with the Wii version started with Madden 08

Madden 07 was good, it introduced motion controls but had shitty bad early PS2 graphics (I swear my copy of Madden from the Gamecube was better looking)

Madden 08 was pure shit, the online was borked to hell, as well as all the problems listed there

Madden 09 was an attempt to go back to Madden 07 with polish but instead they pushed All Play over the pointer controls

Madden 10 had the same problems, its a MUCH better game than Madden 07-09 but they changed the art style and them over-emphasized the casual no experience option

Madden 10 has a full fledged "hardcore" Madden game inside but you have to go through a series of menus and turn on every advanced aspect of the game. "Core" players do not even try and nobody will listen to anyone who tries to tell them and thats EA's fault as they should have allowed you to customize when you wanted, not forced casual and hid core

I didn't just mean for the Wii — it looks like they've all had serious problems. Hell, they replaced people's copies of the PSP version two years in a row. I mean, damn.

But thanks for the rundown on the Wii versions, it's interesting. I remember playing a demo of Madden 07 for the Wii and thinking it looked and played pretty nicely. I may have bought it if I had bought a Wii that Christmas (I didn't get one until almost a year after its launch).

Since buying a Wii, I haven't gotten Madden for it because each version since 07 seemed like EA had done something stupid with it. I've only followed Madden's yearly iterations casually, but it looks like I was correct anyway.

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
the problem is though that they need system sellers. they need to increase the baseline sales of the system in the west (as well as japan). they have nothing that could do that in america apart from nsmb wii, and that wont last forever

they should take a page out of the DS's book. it's got something for everyone

The DS is mostly carried by Japanese efforts. A lot of the big western support for handhelds dried up when people stopped buying PSP software. You'll see western games on the DS, from WayForward and 5th Cell and the like, but they're also making Wii games.

EA is a good example. outside of the tiger woods their content is subpar. lightgun games, kart racers, party games, cutesy low budget puzzle games. what's it going to take for a decent, internally developed title with a bit of a budget? what about a game from one of their more talented teams like criterion

Don't knock Boom Blox. It may not look like the best game out there, but a lot of effort went into that and it was well-received for a reason. It's not Boogie.

The only thing I would say is missing from EA is a Burnout and maybe Mirror's Edge. Unfortunately, I don't think there's really a market for Burnout on the Wii and unless Mirror's Edge was cel-shaded and a bit easier, it probably wouldn't work on the Wii. I have a 360 though, so I'm really happy I get to play those games anyway. Maybe you should get another system and learn to stop worrying.

AniHawk

sharath_kumar said:
Not that far apart... if you align their launches..
How far was 360 when PS3 launched?

The 360 had sold 2.9m units in the year before the 360 launched. It's currently ahead by 7.6m units now.

AniHawk

Sho_Nuff82 said:
They tried with Madden 07 and 08, they tried something different with the All Play and Mascot and super deformed crap, none of it worked, no one wants to play football games with current motion control setups, we get it and I think EA gets it too.

Actually, they managed to at least sell over 100k of 08 and 09 in their first month. I think the fact that they keep changing it, with the All Play and mascot and all that shit is reason why sales are low. It's like moving a TV show around to different time slots.

EA managed to sell 300k-400k (and sometimes more) copies of Madden each year on the Gamecube. They totally, completely screwed up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
Actually, they managed to at least sell over 100k of 08 and 09 in their first month. I think the fact that they keep changing it, with the All Play and mascot and all that shit is reason why sales are low. It's like moving a TV show around to different time slots.
And changing the actors. And making one season animated. And the subsequent one stop motion clay animation.

liuelson

Anita Frazier said:
The industry realized its sixth consecutive month-over-month decline, and while improved over the last several months, it's still a notable decline. The back four months of the year would have to be up 14% in aggregate for 2009 to come in flat in comparison to 2008 sales...

All hardware systems with the exception of the PS2 realized an increase in unit sales over July. The PS3 captured the greatest increase month-over-month with unit sales boosted by 72% over July levels.

For those more versed in the history of the industry - I know that the video game industry appears to be more recession-resistant than most other industries. Is the video game industry a market-leading indicator (at least upward)? In other words, would a rise in the video game industry be a reliable predictor of the overall economy coming out of recession, or would the video game industry tend to improve at the same time or lagging behind the rest of the economy?

imtehman

Banned
Xeke said:

you expect the avg consumer to know the difference?

toxk_02

Black Republican
#11 - #20

But previously unreleased information show that in the lower half of the top 20, there were Nintendo games dating back to 2005 and 2006, namely Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. Half of the bottom 10 titles were first-party Nintendo games.

Nintendo's newly-released puzzler Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box debuted at number 16 after being on the market for only a few days. Judging by confirmed sales for number 17-ranked Madden NFL 10 for Wii and number 10-ranked Fossil Fighters, we know that the new Layton sold between 67,000 and 92,000 for the month.

Electronic Arts captured seven of the top 20 slots, with games including Madden NFL, NCAA Football 10, and EA Sports Active. NCAA Football 10 for Xbox 360 fell from number two last month to number three, while EA Sports Active fell from number 10 to number 19.

11 MARIO KART DS (NDS)
12 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (NDS)
13 WII PLAY W/ REMOTE (WII)
14 POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NDS)
15 NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (360)
16 PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE DIABOLICAL BOX (NDS)
17 MADDEN NFL 10 (WII)
18 WOLFENSTEIN (360)
19 EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (WII)
20 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* (WII)

Linkup

Considering the last few Madden games eventually did more than 500-600k I don't think you can say much of anything yet.

AniHawk said:
It's like moving a TV show around to different time slots.
Where does that sound familiar
Family_Guy.png

laserbeam

Banned
dolemite said:
Just like in Japan, very strange indeed.

Very worrying trend if it continues. Increased sales do nothing for the gaming side of Sony if software sales dont increase to match. Obviously it could be great news for the Movie Studio Side of Sony.

Initially I can see a lack of soaftware boost due to the repeat buyers upgrading to the new model but software sales need to boost longterm

markatisu said:
Activision could hope that the name itself will sell since they will be blitzing TV for Modern Warfare 2

You can probably expect the same ~1m who picked up COD WaW Wii to get COD4, if they had wanted the HD version they would have bought the HD version of WaW in the first place...same goes for COD4

That could be true, but how are WaW Wii buyers going to buy MW:Reflex if they don't even know it exists? TV ads are there to raise awareness of titles, and if the Wii game doesn't have it, it could spell for underwhelming sales.

markatisu

toxk_02 said:
#11 - #20
Nintendo's newly-released puzzler Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box debuted at number 16 after being on the market for only a few days. Judging by confirmed sales for number 17-ranked Madden NFL 10 for Wii and number 10-ranked Fossil Fighters, we know that the new Layton sold between 67,000 and 92,000 for the month.

Awesome Layton 1 sold ~91k in its debut month as well, Nintendo should be pretty happy with that since it was only a few days worth compared to 1 month of the 1st game

Top Bottom