• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Timber

Good to see Fallout 3 still doing well. I do think its sales were somewhat hurt by releasing so close to Fable 2 (which couldn't have done Fable much good, either). There weren't any big WRPGs released the entire year, and then the two big guns got released with about a week or two between the two. They've both performed very well, but would've done better had there been a couple months between the two.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cheebs said:
Yeah but compared to Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine not just the 2D ones the thing has weak legs. Obviously it will outsell Sunshine in the end but it was A LOT more front loaded than Sunshine was. I remember sunshine topping gamecube charts for most of the systems life. The front-loaded nature of Galaxy really shows that the game sold to the hardcore and not the casual's. It's more similar to something like Zelda in that way than traditional Mario games. Which I can't recall ever happening before. Mario Sunshine had a rather average opening month but sold consistently the entire life of GameCube.

No that's not really the case I think. Mario is still extremely powerful of an icon. Mario Kart sells shitloads, and the 2D mario's like New Super Mario Bros. are gigantic hits. It's the 3D Mario this generation that suffers which is really quite sad since that is by far the best game with Mario's name on it out right now. NSMB doubling Mario Galaxy is quite something.

Galaxy outsold Sunshine ages ago.

Quazar

Top 10 Xbox 360 Games

1. 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
2. 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* MICROSOFT
3. 360 LEFT 4 DEAD ELECTRONIC ARTS
4. 360 FALLOUT 3* BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
5. 360 MADDEN NFL 09* ELECTRONIC ARTS
6. 360 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7. 360 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE* MIDWAY
8. 360 ROCK BAND 2* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS
9. 360 FABLE II* MICROSOFT
10. 360 PRINCE OF PERSIA* UBISOFT

Damn LR isn't even in top 10 360 :lol

beef3483 said:
That's more of a First Person Adventure with shooting elements.

And the day it becomes a full on shooter (hopefully never) is the day I quit the series. Unlike most traditional FPS you actually have to be mindful of where you are within the world.

I absolutely have ZERO idea why people keep claiming that this is a shooter. It is pretty much the very definition of an action-adventure game (much like nobody calls GTA a shooter but a sandbox game).

markatisu said:
Yes, Wii Music #11 was around 487k and #20 Shaun White was higher than 150k

We know Rock Band 2 Wii sold 150k in December and since that was not even in the Wii Top 10 it means everything else (Nerf N-Strike, Cod WaW Wii, and Shaun White) were all higher than 150k

Damn Shaun White Wii has some legs. Doesn't that mean that it sold more last month then it did it's debut month?

Quazar said:
Damn LR isn't even in top 10 360 :lol

...And people are arguing that JRPG's should go to the 360 or and PS3 and not the Wii why again?

Vinci

Danish
Flying_Phoenix said:
...And people are arguing that JRPG's should go to the 360 or and PS3 and not the Wii why again?

Technically speaking, has any RPG shown up in the Wii's sales outside of Dragon Quest Swords in Japan? At this point, the only viable RPG machine is the DS. Until someone comes along and changes the situation - which ain't happening for the Wii anytime soon, methinks.

Eteric Rice

Vinci said:
Technically speaking, has any RPG shown up in the Wii's sales outside of Dragon Quest Swords in Japan? At this point, the only viable RPG machine is the DS. Until someone comes along and changes the situation - which ain't happening for the Wii anytime soon, methinks.

I think Tales of Symphonia spin-off did over 200k.

Not positive, though.

You guys shouldn't write off LR just yet, it is December, you don't need to be top 10 to have good sales. Be great if we got LR, ToS2 and CT numbers.

Vinci

Danish
BishopLamont said:
You guys shouldn't write off LR just yet, it is December, you don't need to be top 10 to have good sales. Be great if we got LR, ToS2 and CT numbers.

Have any RPGs shown strong legs on the 360 or PS3?

Vinci said:

Tales of Symphonia 2 and Fire Emblem. Either way if you're making a console JRPG it's far better to take a risk on the fastest selling system ever with cheap development costs then spend $20 million dollars on systems that have only seen success once (twice counting Japan...and keep in mind there are 2 consoles we are comparing to 1).

Vinci said:

Lost Odyessy - World-Wide

White Knight Story - (maybe) Japan

Dirtbag

Vinci said:
JRPG's....
nope, dead genre on both consoles.
they do well on DS, maybe wii or ps2 (haven't bothered to care).

RPG's in general (specifically western rpg's)..
Do really well on 360. You'll notice Fable 2 and Fallout3 and Mass Effect all have seen great success on the console.

Vinci said:
That applies to all system though, we don't see any DS or Wii RPGs chart. LR could have bombed, but it is a bit premature to call it one right now. We can't call bombs with the numbers/charts we get, the only way to find out is through specific companies financial reports.

Dirtbag

I can't wait till Final Fantasy VS. is announced multi-plat and on Wii
will be every bit as entertaining as betraylton part 1.

Dirtbag said:
I can't wait till Final Fantasy VS. is announced multi-plat and on Wii
If SE is willing to down port versus they would already do it for FF13. If Wii is to see any FF13 spinoff, my bet would be a brand new one.

onipex

X26 said:
When Nintendo does well, no one else does. You look at the Wii's software sales and there's practically no 3rd party titles there, and the ones that are there are dwarfed by first party sales.

So yea, good job on the 360/PS3's part in not going out of their way to cut out 3rd party developers.

Did you even read the thread? This has already been shot down.

Dirtbag

BishopLamont said:
If SE is willing to down port versus they would already do it for FF13. If Wii is to see any FF13 spinoff, my bet would be a brand new one.

I would just assume since we've seen/heard so little about versus at this point, it would be the easier project to switch development on without further delaying FF13. A brand new wii FF13 game is also probable, but would square really want to start development of a 3rd FF13 game before the first has even launched? Could they justify it internally, isn't that putting alot of eggs in one basket?

Vinci

Danish
Dirtbag said:
I would just assume since we've seen/heard so little about versus at this point, it would be the easier project to switch development on without further delaying FF13. A brand new wii FF13 game is also probable, but would square really want to start development of a 3rd FF13 game before the first has even launched? Could they justify it internally, isn't that putting alot of eggs in one basket?

I'm just wondering when the whole FF XIII is going to end. Seems like there's this neverending torrent of things SE wants to do with it already.

Jokeropia

X26 said:
When Nintendo does well, no one else does. You look at the Wii's software sales and there's practically no 3rd party titles there, and the ones that are there are dwarfed by first party sales.

So yea, good job on the 360/PS3's part in not going out of their way to cut out 3rd party developers.
Holy crap you're clueless. :lol

Mindlog

Vinci said:
I'm just wondering when the whole FF XIII is going to end. Seems like there's this neverending torrent of things SE wants to do with it already.

Out of necessity imo.

I have no idea how many copies FF XIII has to sell the break even, but... I understand FF is the grand daddy of them all and it's easy money to bet on it selling well... it just has to sell really really really well... in an environment that seems to be mostly ambivalent towards JRPGs...

farnham

Banned
Dirtbag said:
isnt the moku train thing bannable... ?

Vinci

Danish
Mindlog said:
Out of necessity imo.

I have no idea how many copies FF XIII has to sell the break even, but... I understand FF is the grand daddy of them all and it's easy money to bet on it selling well... it just has to sell really really really well... in an environment that seems to be mostly ambivalent towards JRPGs...

I agree... though I can't imagine it breaking even at this point...

Dirtbag

farnham said:

the fuck is a moku train?

maybe this is the wrong thread for such discussion, but if what I posted is in any way bannable then this forum has really lost its way.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
I agree... though I can't imagine it breaking even at this point...

It will. Easily. Its reaching enough systems and has enough pull with Western audiences to make the money back and then some

Eteric Rice

Dirtbag said:

maybe this is the wrong thread for such discussion, but if what I posted is in any way bannable then this forum has really lost its way.

A while back Moku had the theory that FFXIII would come to the Wii in some way. Everyone that agreed with him would say that they're jumping on the "Moku train." The subject used to get discussed so much that they banned it.

Or thats how I think it went, was a while ago.

Dirtbag

Eteric Rice said:
A while back Moku had the theory that FFXIII would come to the Wii in some way. Everyone that agreed with him would say that they're jumping on the "Moku train." The subject used to get discussed so much that they banned it.

Or thats how I think it went, was a while ago.

Ahh......
Well a while back maybe such ideas were illogical, but presently it seems the wii favors the Jrpg market (of the big 3 home consoles) and now that FF13 has gone multi-platform, things have definitely changed. It seems like a very logical step for a 3rd Party software house. I just don't understand why anyone thinks there is loyalty in this business.. especially in hard economic times. Peeps got to eat.

"There is no going back, he's changed things"

jibblypop said:
People keep mentioning Mario Galaxy in this thread like it was some sort of sales failure... but hasnt it sold like 3 or 4 million copies in the USA alone? Probably like 7 million worldwide?? (I can't remember exact numbers but I just remmeber being extremely impressed when I saw them) I think it's one of the absolute biggest games of this console generation actually.
Yeah, it's definitely sold more than Sunshine did. It just appears to be more frontloaded than Sunshine and NSMB.

Or maybe it's not much more frontloaded, but the greater number of Wii releases keeps the Top 10 filled with more fresh names while it continues trucking on down below. Out of sight, out of mind.
Eteric Rice said:
I think Tales of Symphonia spin-off did over 200k.

Not positive, though.
Yeah. Latest number should be in the Top 100 which will hit any time now, but it shouldn't be too much beyond 200K.

On the other hand there's Opoona, which never even made the weekly Top 30.
Dirtbag said:
Ahaha. An old Japanese sales thread meme. moku was getting more certain FF XIII would end up moved to Wii; those who came around to that point of view were said to be getting on the moku train.

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn Shaun White Wii has some legs. Doesn't that mean that it sold more last month then it did it's debut month?

Yes the Wii version did 103k in November (not going to quote source because I did that in this thread already), so its between 250-300k in the US depending on what the actual number was for December

Ubisoft had expected worldwide it would sell 1m units and it has been on the UK charts a few times so its on its way.

Dirtbag

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ahaha. An old Japanese sales thread meme. moku was getting more certain FF XIII would end up moved to Wii; those who came around to that point of view were said to be getting on the moku train.
Well I'm also not proposing that FF13 gets moved, I think versus however is a very likely candidate though.

Gaborn

Dirtbag said:
Well I'm also not proposing that FF13 gets moved, I think versus however is a very likely candidate though.

From a practical standpoint whether you're right about that in particular or not, I think it'd be pretty shocking if the "next" big Square-Enix announcement wasn't for Wii (in addition to DQX I mean), or DS of course.

AniHawk

Gaborn said:
From a practical standpoint whether you're right about that in particular or not, I think it'd be pretty shocking if the "next" big Square-Enix announcement wasn't for Wii (in addition to DQX I mean), or DS of course.

I'm waiting for a Kingdom Hearts of some sort. Maybe $30 ports of 1, Re:Chains, and 2 building up to 3.

SE isn't like Capcom in that it doesn't usually port everything everywhere though.

Gaborn

AniHawk said:
I'm waiting for a Kingdom Hearts of some sort. Maybe $30 ports of 1, Re:Chains, and 2 building up to 3.

SE isn't like Capcom in that it doesn't usually port everything everywhere though.

Yeah, seems the most logical possibility.

Neomoto

Wii software in the top 10 alone sold more then 2 million more then Xbox360 software in the top 10. Obviously not counting Wii Sports which would mean an additional 2+ million making the 6 Wii games to almost 7 million.

Also having 6 out of 1-10, 7 out of 11-20 and another 7 out of 21-30 is quite telling. Especially when you remember the Wii faced heavy shortages.

I think they'll have a greater then usual january because of these shortages.

Xbox360 did very good and the 2008 top 10 is nice

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I imagine SE will continue to push Crystal Chronicles as the main Nintendo franchise. We should be getting a new Crystal Bearers trailer in under 2 weeks- I imagine a 2009 release is probable.

AniHawk said:

I would think they might package the three together as some sort of "Kingdom Hearts: Ultimate Mix" collection. Although your way would cost more, so it's probably what they would do.

AniHawk

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I would think they might package the three together as some sort of "Kingdom Hearts: Ultimate Mix" collection. Although your way would cost more, so it's probably what they would do.

They have done that sort of thing before, though it's been 8-10 years since they have (FFA and FFC). If they were to rework KH, I wonder if they'd keep it as-is or try to make the keyblade swingable.

Sadist

schuelma said:
I imagine SE will continue to push Crystal Chronicles as the main Nintendo franchise. We should be getting a new Crystal Bearers trailer in under 2 weeks- I imagine a 2009 release is probable.
This is news to me.

And I'm expecting a Kingdom Hearts of some sort for Wii aswell.

[Nintex]

Sadist said:
This is news to me.

And I'm expecting a Kingdom Hearts of some sort.
Square Enix will release:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers Trailer
*With Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time for Wii.

in less than two weeks.

Quazar

Dirtbag said:
Do you want to put a ban bet on which console has better sales of Final Fantasy, 360 or Ps3?
I'll take 360.

a ban bet, wtf? I don't care which one sells the most in the first place considering I never even mentioned FF. I hope it sells a fuckton across both platforms.

I'm a LR fan but it's sad it didn't even chart in top 10 for 360 only.

Fredescu

Flying_Phoenix said:
I absolutely have ZERO idea why people keep claiming that this is a shooter. It is pretty much the very definition of an action-adventure game (much like nobody calls GTA a shooter but a sandbox game).
The argument has been done to death, but really? You have zero idea why people might think a game whose primary method of progress is shooting is a shooter? Let me help. You shoot stuff. A lot of stuff. You even shoot doors.

Neomoto said:
Wii software in the top 10 alone sold more then 2 million more then Xbox360 software in the top 10. Obviously not counting Wii Sports which would mean an additional 2+ million making the 6 Wii games to almost 7 million.

Also having 6 out of 1-10, 7 out of 11-20 and another 7 out of 21-30 is quite telling. Especially when you remember the Wii faced heavy shortages.

I think they'll have a greater then usual january because of these shortages.

Xbox360 did very good and the 2008 top 10 is nice
January will be drier than December, imo.

titiklabingapat said:
January will be drier than December, imo.
Really depends on if Nintendo diverted shipments to Europe or December's supplies had shipment problems and they arrive in January. My guess would be shipment problems.

BishopLamont said:
Really depends on if Nintendo diverted shipments to Europe or December's supplies had shipment problems and they arrive in January. My guess would be shipment problems.
The last week of December and the first 10 days of January were all dry.

Even Gamestop only got 3 consoles each this week since 2008. This applies to almost anything Nintendo. DS, Kart, Fits, Wiis, etc.

so unless there is a downpour of anything Nintendo later this month, January is traditionally very dry for the them since the DS.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Would it?

Yes.

Puncture said:
Also I'm just starting to realize how badly Banjo did.

Nintendo needs RARE back. RARE needs to be back on a Nintendo platform for their sales' sake. Just imagine how much Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would've sold on the Wii this fall.

X26 said:
You look at the Wii's software sales and there's practically no 3rd party titles there, and the ones that are there are dwarfed by first party sales.

We've already been over this. Completely correct, because how your game sells compared to the first-party games on the system is a more significant metric than how many units your games sells. Exactly. :)

botticus said:
But first party Wii games outsold them, so they did terrible.

Yes. This.

farnham said:

Mindless "Choo, Choo!" or "Hop on the train!" is bannable. Coherent discussion is fine.

TJ Spyke

donny2112 said:
Nintendo needs RARE back. RARE needs to be back on a Nintendo platform for their sales' sake. Just imagine how much Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would've sold on the Wii this fall.

That would mean Rare needs Nintendo. Nintendo has proven (back in the GCN era) that they don't need Rare to make good games and (in the Wii era) that they don't need Rare to sell tons of games.

Dirtbag

Quazar said:
a ban bet, wtf? I don't care which one sells the most in the first place considering I never even mentioned FF. I hope it sells a fuckton across both platforms.

I'm a LR fan but it's sad it didn't even chart in top 10 for 360 only.
Because there were 10 better games above it, I'm not sad at all.
How you expected an extremely lightly-marketed, new IP with mixed review scores (most of which bookended with "patch needed don't buy yet") to hit top 10, seemed a more likely jab at the 360's ability to sell a niche (arguably fading) genre like jrpgs. This could also indicate you suffer from the "GAF effect" on game judgement, and have little understanding of the mainstream market... which is interesting because you are in the thread which is essentially tied to it.

Eteric Rice

donny2112 said:
Yes.

We've already been over this. Completely correct, because how your game sells compared to the first-party games on the system is a more significant metric than how many units your games sells. Exactly. :)

Yes. This.

Mindless "Choo, Choo!" or "Hop on the train!" is bannable. Coherent discussion is fine.

They really don't. Not saying RARE is bad, but they're not what they used to be.

titiklabingapat said:
The last week of December and the first 10 days of January were all dry.

Even Gamestop only got 3 consoles each this week since 2008. This applies to almost anything Nintendo. DS, Kart, Fits, Wiis, etc.

so unless there is a downpour of anything Nintendo later this month, January is traditionally very dry for the them since the DS.
Wow, that sounds bad. So they're most likely diverting to Europe? Greedy bastards.

Top Bottom