• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Eteric Rice

Kapsama said:
Halo is scifi, Gears is scifi, Killzone is scifi, yet no one calls them generic.

And lol @ pointing out that something is trolling is being overly sensitive now.

They're all generic now adays. They're nothing special anymore.

Hence generic.

Kapsama said:
Halo is scifi, Gears is scifi, Killzone is scifi, yet no one calls them generic.

And lol @ pointing out that something is trolling is being overly sensitive now.
Halo, Resistance and KZ are all generic.

Happy now?

(put them side by side in front of a non-gamer for the first time and I doubt they'd be able to tell the difference)

farnham

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
They really don't. Not saying RARE is bad, but they're not what they used to be.
id say nintendo could fix them up again...

but then again.. nintendo does not need them anymore.. they sell more then enough

Neomoto said:
I think they'll have a greater then usual january because of these shortages.
You think? Last year Wii went from a 1.35 million December to a 274K January; the only month under 400K in the whole year. Though to be fair and give a whole picture, December 2007 just after launch was over 400K (with a 5-week month).
titiklabingapat said:
January is traditionally very dry for the them since the DS.
Oh man. This made me check the last two Janury -> December DS shifts.
1.60 million -> 239K (and this is even with a freak 5-week January)
2.47 million -> 251K
Dirtbag said:
Isn't japan still primarily a portables market? I thought the big home console markets were U.S. and Europe? Am I off-base here?
Yeah, that's pretty much the case since 2005.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, guys, article complete. Should be up Monday morning, I hope. Editor has to look it over. Now I can go back to being a normal gamer for a day. Maybe I'll finally finish BioShock.

Now I need sleep.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
JoshuaJSlone said:
You think? Last year Wii went from a 1.35 million December to a 274K January; the only month under 400K in the whole year. Though to be fair and give a whole picture, December 2007 just after launch was over 400K (with a 5-week month).

December 2007? Do you mean January?

jvm said:
...in other news, did anyone find any additional figures? Raw64Life needs to give us an update. I only have one rough number that I've not seen mentioned that I can add, with possibly more later in the coming week. We'll see.

Spill it, buddy.

Rolf NB

Thrakier said:
Does anyone know how high the loss per unit is for the PS3 at the moment? With a source?
Nah, don't think so. The Sony earnings report should come out next week though, for the bigger picture.

Maxpower (Sony industry insider on the Blu-Ray forums) claimed the iSuppli figures overestimated the Blu-Ray drive costs and that Sony only loses about $15 on each PS3 right now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Private Hoffman said:
Maxpower (Sony industry insider on the Blu-Ray forums) claimed the iSuppli figures overestimated the Blu-Ray drive costs and that Sony only loses about $15 on each PS3 right now.

iSuppli

Luckyman

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Not confirmed at all, more common sense thinking esp after seeing R2 sales this Christmas.

How would R2 really sell much more if it was multi? The game gets much more attention then perhaps is warranted by being published by Sony.

360 has seen many generic shooters that don't sell like L4D and Call of Duty. And R2 would likely fall in that range.

Dirtbag said:
Ahh......
Well a while back maybe such ideas were illogical, but presently it seems the wii favors the Jrpg market (of the big 3 home consoles) and now that FF13 has gone multi-platform, things have definitely changed. It seems like a very logical step for a 3rd Party software house. I just don't understand why anyone thinks there is loyalty in this business.. especially in hard economic times. Peeps got to eat.

"There is no going back, he's changed things"

Really? What Wii RPGs have sold as well as Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bigmakstudios said:

I think he's saying that JRPG's are probably going to the Wii as opposed to the other 2 home consoles.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
soldat7 said:
Mario Galaxy is innovative. Motion controls are innovative. The DS is innovative. 99% of Nintendo software is not innovative in any way, however (at least recently).
The Wii is innovative, Nintendogs is innovative, Brain Age is innovative, Wii Sports is innovative, Wii Fit is innovative, Wii Music is innovative, Zelda PH is innovative, so I'm not really sure what you are getting at.

The reason they are winning this generation is because they are the only company that are bringing new, original, different, innovative and fun experiences to people.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
No, it was 450k shipped worldwide

Not bad for a puzzle game.

It has sold 450k+ according to EA as of 7/29/08
During an investor meeting earlier today, EA revealed that Boom Blox has sold over 450,000 copies since launch in May. Thanks to such moderate sales numbers, EA CFO Eric Brown said the title has met the publisher's expectations. Whether or not these sales numbers only represent North America isn't known.

Not to mention it was sold out at many Targets in Nov and Dec requiring 2 weeks of Rain Checks, and was a featured game in Toys R Us Buy 1 Wii game get the other 50% off sales

We won't know till EA releases their financials in the next few months what the actual WW number is but it should be well past 450k by now

Jammy

Banned
bigmakstudios said:

Dragon Quest Swords
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia 2

360 RPGs don't really put up big numbers, and they also require much higher development costs. This is why we're seeing a main entry in the Tales series on Wii now, as well as Dragon Quest X, etc. coming.

Spiegel

markatisu said:
It has sold 450k+ according to EA as of 7/29/08

Not to mention it was sold out at many Targets in Nov and Dec requiring 2 weeks of Rain Checks, and was a featured game in Toys R Us Buy 1 Wii game get the other 50% off sales

We won't know till EA releases their financials in the next few months what the actual WW number is but it should be well past 450k by now

Yeah, EA shipped 450k as of 7/29/08. Where am I wrong?

I was correcting KuwabaraTheMan.

The LTD sales of Boom Blox (NPD number) in the US are unknown. We only know the worldwide shipped numbers as of August.

Spiegel

markatisu said:
Because you are saying shipped, EA was commenting on sold in relation to the poor "sales" it had in the previous months NPD

You should know EA, Ubi, Nintendo, Sony, MS, Square Enix,... always talk about shipped numbers because a shipped copy (sold to retailers) is a sold copy for them.

But what's the matter? EA has sold (shipped) 450k. Like I said it's a good number for a puzzle and only three months of sales.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
You should know EA, Ubi, Nintendo, Sony, MS, Square Enix,... always talk about shipped numbers because a shipped copy (sold to retailers) is a sold copy for them.

But what's the matter? EA has sold (shipped) 450k. Like I said it's a good number for a puzzle and only three months of sales.

EA and Nintendo usually do not when they are referring to the US and EU markets, the shipped/sold has much more relevance in Japan where you get % of sell through on shipments and companies like Namco use it as a guide.

EA does not come out and say we shipped 2m copies of Madden and sold 100% of that, they say we sold meaning sell through to consumer not to retailer

But as you said for a puzzle game that is excellent, it was also one of the first that indicated 3rd party Wii games do not die after month 1 and continue to sell through to moderate or heavy success

Johann

Kapsama said:
I don't remember people resorting to calling Halo or Mario Kart generic every time the little fanboy in them find no real faults. It's a crutch to diss a game, especially that has garnered solid grades all around.

Hardly an explanation. Resistance has unique weapons, a somewhat unique background that mixes the past with future and gameplay similar to Halo's. Exactly what is generic about that?

By trolls I'm sure.

It's really a matter of art direction. I can spot a game like Gears or Killzone (mostly due to the character design of the Helghast) in a montage (like Gametrailer's bonus round intro) thanks to their distinct look.

With Resistance, I always go "was that Resistance or Area 51: Blacksite or something?" I can imagine most consumers dismissing it as another Turning Point: Fall of Liberty or Timeshift due to the game's aesthetics.

Spiegel

markatisu said:
EA and Nintendo usually do not when they are referring to the US and EU markets, the shipped/sold has much more relevance in Japan where you get % of sell through on shipments and companies like Namco use it as a guide.

EA does not come out and say we shipped 2m copies of Madden and sold 100% of that, they say we sold meaning sell through to consumer not to retailer

But as you said for a puzzle game that is excellent, it was also one of the first that indicated 3rd party Wii games do not die after month 1 and continue to sell through to moderate or heavy success

Key part of your EA quote: "investor meeting"

It was shipped but it doesn't matter. EA sold to retailers 450k as of August and if what you said before is true they must have shipped much more than that as of now.

Banned
Luckyman said:
How would R2 really sell much more if it was multi? The game gets much more attention then perhaps is warranted by being published by Sony.

360 has seen many generic shooters that don't sell like L4D and Call of Duty. And R2 would likely fall in that range.

Don`t sell? Also, L4D is far from generic.

donny2112

soldat7 said:
Marginally better than Boom Blox at best.

You mean it would've sold marginally better than Boom Blox's LTD during the month of November? I agree! :D

soldat7 said:
Rare is like a great author that's been cursed with writer's block for years.

Would that happen to be six years or so?
:p

soldat7 said:
I have two beefs (hur) with Personal Trainer: Cooking:

1) I can't pause on a step. I'm no Bobby Flay and the lousy cook goes to the next step way too quickly.

2) The voice commands are not that great. I say "Continue" and it jumps back a step; I say "Last Step" and it continues. Maybe I should try using reverse psychology.

Turn off the voice commands. I did two dishes with the voice commands before realizing that it was more frustration than it was worth and turned them off. If you know you're about to do a specific step where your hands will be busy, you can always turn back on the voice commands temporarily.

Turning off the voice commands also acts as a pause, since it won't progress until you hit the button. :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Oh man. This made me check the last two Janury -> December DS shifts.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales Numbers/USHandhelds-3.png

Notice the "DS Shortage" arrows for January in each of the last two years.

Luckyman said:

Generic shooters sell just fine on the 360. Even Rainbow Six 2 (just the 360 sku alone) sold about the same amount as MGS4 did in it's first month.

Firestorm

Jammy said:
Dragon Quest Swords
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia 2

360 RPGs don't really put up big numbers, and they also require much higher development costs. This is why we're seeing a main entry in the Tales series on Wii now, as well as Dragon Quest X, etc. coming.
Super Paper Mario is not an RPG o.o; I didn't realize that Dragon Quest Swords was either.

Tales of Symphonia 2 and Fire Emblem sold over 600k? That's very promising =O I always though FE was much more niche than that.

Jammy

Banned
Firestorm said:
Super Paper Mario is not an RPG o.o; I didn't realize that Dragon Quest Swords was either.

Tales of Symphonia 2 and Fire Emblem sold over 600k? That's very promising =O I always though FE was much more niche than that.

Have you played Super Paper Mario? It's a side-scrolling RPG, not a side-scroller with RPG elements. This is why GAF is so torn about the game.

What about Dragon Quest Swords makes it not an RPG?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:
Have you played Super Paper Mario? It's a side-scrolling RPG, not a side-scroller with RPG elements. This is why GAF is so torn about the game.

What about Dragon Quest Swords makes it not an RPG?

No it just fails at both while needing an editor. I dont see SPM's RPG elements satisfying any RPG player. At least the platforming got 4 characters and the flip ability

farnham

Banned
Firestorm said:
Super Paper Mario is not an RPG o.o;

You have not experienced the whole..

SPM is the second comming of jesus...-> SPM sucks backlash..? it was because SPM was a RPG..

Firestorm said:
I didn't realize that Dragon Quest Swords was either.

Its a simple and short RPG but it is definately a RPG.

Firestorm said:

dunno bout ToS 2 but FE RD sold well over 500k

FE GBA sold 500k in NA alone btw and FE games once did well over 500k in Japan alone..
HK-47 said:
No it just fails at both while needing an editor. I dont see SPM's RPG elements satisfying any RPG player. At least the platforming got 4 characters and the flip ability

well there are a lot of horrible RPGs.. that doesnt mean that those games suddenly turn into action games..

Top Bottom