• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

WTF? Why do you even care what other people do? Are you really happy that X360 version is a bad port (comparing to Xbone)?

Lol.. some of you are too funny. Why do I care? Because I have two friends that haven't stepped it up to Xbox next gen yet. And a few of us in the 20C are waiting for them to. That's why I care what other people do.

And yes. I am really happy that the 360 version of TF isn't going to be close to the X1 version. Why would I want that? Why would I want the game to be the same as a next gen version? I'll tell you I was bummed as hell that COD is almost the exact same on both. Hell.. the 360/PS3 versions probably run smoother.

sportz103

Goodnight.

Why do you think that these things exist? So much data is collected in so many different ways and, yes, youtube views are part of it. I don't even think that's a stretch. If people are watching commercials for games on youtube they are interested in seeing said game. It seems to me to be a pretty accurate gauge to find out interest. But it's more than that. It's google searches. It's twitter mentions. It's preorder numbers. It's views on their own stores. They take all of this data and can usually tell when a game is going to do well and when it isn't. Most of the time a game "is sent out to die" it's because they studied all this info and came to the conclusion "no one gives a fuck about this game, don't waste marketing money on it."

The times they are a changin'.
If people are watching commercials on YouTube it can also be because the company is paying to have it run as pre-roll before other videos.

As for the "google searches" point, just no. Even with "infamous" being a real word it's still not nearly as popular a search as Titanfall. It only was briefly when "Lord Infamous" from Three 6 Mafia died.

A0BBRDC.png

Between LEGO and Just Dance doing better on Xbone, it definitely seems that way.

Makes it that much stranger that MS has fuck-all for them, besides Kinect Sports Rivals.
Them as in kids? Zoo Tycoon, PvZ Garden Warfare, Peggle 2. They have a decent amount actually for being so close to launch.

Tripon

Don't know if this was posted yet:

One bright spot in February is software delivered over the Internet, which SuperData Research said jumped nearly 23% to $291.3 million. Joost van Dreunen, head of SuperData, said sales were primarily driven by demand for add-on content software, such as additional story lines or maps for war simulation games, which are often sold separately from the traditional games.

He noted that blockbuster videogame launches, such as the release of Take-Two Interactive Software’s “Grand Theft Auto V” in September, attracted customer attention away from other titles.

SuperData said the top selling traditional videogame software title sold over the Internet was Activision Blizzard’s war simulation game “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” followed by “Grand Theft Auto V” and Ubisoft Entertainment’s “Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.”

Among game disks sold in U.S. retail stores, “Call of Duty: Ghosts” was also the top seller, followed by Warner Bros. Interactive’s “The Lego Movie Videogame,” followed by Take-Two’s popular basketball title, “NBA 2K14,” NPD said.

Revenues for videogames that don’t initially charge customers to play, such as Riot Games’s battle arena style game “League of Legends” for PCs and King.com’s mobile device puzzle title “Candy Crush Saga,” continued to rise, jumping nearly 27% to $584.8 million, SuperData said. Meanwhile, subscription-based games, like Activision’s “World of Warcraft,” saw sales drop more than 24% to $82.8 million.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We'll know the answer to this within a year anyway when we find out what platforms Titanfall 2 is for. My guess is you'll see it on the PS4.

Mort I think the stuff you do is great but Youtube views is kind of ridiculous. Sony has done a -lot- of online marketing for Infamous, just the other day the entire front page of ESPN.com was covered in advertising for the new game and it links directly to the new Youtube video that has a shitload of views that doesn't quite correlate with the small (in comparison) amount of comments it has.

It'll be on PS4, unless MS turns things around AND back ups a shitload of money. It'll be huge because it'll be a sequel to a great game built on an amazing foundation.

Ridley327

Them as in kids? Zoo Tycoon, PvZ Garden Warfare, Peggle 2. They have a decent amount actually for being so close to launch.

Wasn't Zoo Tycoon retail exclusive to Wal Mart for a bit? It only just recently hit other retailers, and I doubt its digital sales are anything to crow about.

Killzone sold 2.1 million copies +.

Not sure what world people live in that inFamous isn't more appealing to general gamers. It's a freaking super hero open world game, and seem to be taking advantage of what "next gen" is supposed to offer.

I predict it will sell a few copies. Maybe even a bunch.

No, only a couple or alot. :p

Tripon

I refuse to believe without some kind of evidence that a lawyer or someone with an education would sign off on that. Seems so so so silly.

Pretty obvious they went for the quick fix instead of waiting to see who had the lead. Its human nature to take the easy path, and unfortunately too many of us do it for no advantage.

It's not an accurate predictor, social metrics can have a ton of variables producing popularity. Playstation All Stars is a classic example, it had a ton of negativity and spikes every time a new character was unveiled, it also had a really cool couple of commercials that gained viewership for their quality rather than interest in the game. Of course it is very hard to discern this through pure metrics. So while the game had a lot of visibility not much of it was translating into sales

A lot of launch games had this too as a sake of the console war

Sony knew that game was a disaster weeks before it hit store shelves.

I'm not saying metrics are right 100% of the time. But that was a bad pick ;)

N.Domixis

Banned
Another good reason titan fall 2 will show up on ps4 is that xbox is dead outside of us. If it is on ps4, it will reach a wider global audience. Especially now that ps4 will take a bigger piece of the european market share than ps3.

A lot of launch games had this too as a sake of the console war

Views for Killzone,Knack and Driveclub doesn't even come close to the consistent highs of Infamous.

I'm not saying it translates to sales, but it definitely implies that there's more excitement for,the game than meets the eye.

Ha, I contributed +1 to PS4's sales.

That's a pretty big jump for Xbone. I wonder if it's for anticipation of Titanfall? Now I wouldn't be surprised if MS takes March's NPD.

PS4 was still extremely supply constrained. I think March has fared much better in terms of supply, but I don't know if they'll win it this time.

Good. I'm glad the 360 version will be 30fps. The 360 is last gen. Maybe this will force some to buy a new console. Glad it's not going to be the exact same.

Wow dude, really? Not surprising though.

If people are watching commercials on YouTube it can also be because the company is paying to have it run as pre-roll before other videos.

As for the "google searches" point, just no. Even with "infamous" being a real word it's still not nearly as popular a search as Titanfall. It only was briefly when "Lord Infamous" from Three 6 Mafia died.

A0BBRDC.png

I don't know why you are arguing with me. I didn't say "my metrics have come to this conclusion." I'm telling you guys what I'm hearing. Believe it, don't believe it... but don't argue with me, I'm just passing on info.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
@cream - Any %ages for Lego including 360, PS3, and 3DS? Pie charts are fine too =). 3DS and Vita Hardware #s would be nice as well.

Elios83

Good results for PS4 and XB1.
XB1 clearly better than expected considering the January results.
I guess that some people decided not to wait until March and bought the console for Titanfall early.
March will be definetly an interesting month with Titanfall on XB1 and Infamous and MGS:Ground Zeroes on PS4 (yeah I know the latter is multiplatform but we know where the audience for that game is and with Kojima discrediting the XB1 version technically by himself it's not like they're gaining many fans on XB). Also it seems that PS4 availability is improving now that the japanese launch is done. So it will be an interesting battle.

TyrantII

No. I guessed 105k in the npd thread, but you can dig up the post... all i said was "it was a shorter month so im guessing lower numbers across the board." After coming in second place the month before I got absolutely fucking slaughtered today. Way underestimated the Wii U. Way way way way undersold the xb1. And I underestimated the PS4 by a good 50k. I was awful this month. But no, I had no 'inside info' on it. The previous month I did. I knew the first two weeks of january from their internet projections which is why when I lowballed in the thread and people thought I was nuts... i ended up doing really well ;)

Should have adjusted for early tax returns. Gamers need to game.

Ridley327

Thank goodness Lords of Shadow bombed.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that this will send a good message to Konami. I can sadly imagine it getting mothballed next to Silent Hill in reaction to how poorly LoS2 has done.

I firmly believe that making Castlevania an either/or franchise this gen really hurt its long term prospects. There was no reason why IGA couldn't have continued doing low-budget but profitable handheld titles while Mercury Steam was doing their thing on consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that this will send a good message to Konami. I can sadly imagine it getting mothballed next to Silent Hill in reaction to how poorly LoS2 has done.

I firmly believe that making Castlevania an either/or franchise this gen really hurt its long term prospects. There was no reason why IGA couldn't have continued doing low-budget but profitable handheld titles while Mercury Steam was doing their thing on consoles.
Let us hope for the best: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775898&highlight=metroidvania

Chobel

Lol.. some of you are too funny. Why do I care? Because I have two friends that haven't stepped it up to Xbox next gen yet. And a few of us in the 20C are waiting for them to. That's why I care what other people do.

Some people really want to play Titanfall the way it meant to be played (60fps) and can't afford a to buy a new console, but hey! Screw them, I want X360 version to be bad just because I want 2 of friends to play with me.

And yes. I am really happy that the 360 version of TF isn't going to be close to the X1 version. Why would I want that? Why would I want the game to be the same as a next gen version? I'll tell you I was bummed as hell that COD is almost the exact same on both. Hell.. the 360/PS3 versions probably run smoother.

False Dilemma? What a bad argument. You can still have a good X360 version of some game, and at the same time have a better Xbone version of said game. Just because X360 version is good doesn't mean the Xbone version will be the same as X360.

Titanfall beta, Titanfall marketing kicking in, Tax returns...

Then I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Basically I said XBone sales are increasing because of Titanfall so the monthly sales gap is closing and XBone will sell more in March.
-135k to -30k to +???. You just said the same thing.

Biker19

Banned
Becoming the biggest franchise in the world ended when EA made the decision to keep the first game in the franchise xbox console exclusive. It is tough for sequels to gain major traction when the original game didn't come out for the platform. TitanFall 2 will do good numbers on PS4, but if Respawn wanted the biggest franchise in the world the first game wouldn't have skipped being on Playstation.

For reference, Infamous 2 sold 369K its first month out. I think Second Son will beat this number.

Yeah, that was a very dumb move that EA & Respawn have made. Other games like Destiny will most likely steamroll TitanFall because of that.

A0BBRDC.png
Petty sure Mortimer said that Titanfall is getting more media headlines while inFamous is tracking ahead in social metrics. So you're not proving him wrong in any way

jcm

I realize those replies are pure Butthurt but Sonys not gonna tell EA they did a good thing by cutting them out. Of course they are gonna paint themselves in the best light. I personally think they are wrong. EA is definitely missing out on money but it's also not as big as I'm sure Sony wants it to seem.

Why would EA need sales projections from sony anyway?

Then I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Basically I said XBone sales are increasing because of Titanfall so the monthly sales gap is closing and XBone will sell more in March.
-135k to -30k to +???. You just said the same thing.

You're ignoring PS4's own gap increasers for March.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
OK.
I heard that the PS4 is not actually supply constrained at all, and that Sony has a warehouse full of consoles that have been withheld from distribution.
Believe it, don't believe it... but don't argue with me, I'm just passing on info.

Huh?

Top Bottom