• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

Usobuko

Banned
Feb is a month that hardware sells a little bit more than January right? With no notable release in January and obscure exclusives like Dangan and Toukiden in Feb, probably meant around 20-25k sales for Vita and therefore 150~160k for 3DS?

Is that a good number for 3DS ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Assuming these numbers are right, 3DS would be down YOY even if vita sold 0 but likely it's 150K - 160K

That's got to terrify Nintendo. Where are they going to make money next year?

Well, while 3DS aggregate software and hardware sales aren't stellar, they do at least bring in a fair amount of licensing fees still, and I believe they actually have some level of profit margin on the hardware.

The Wii U's issue is they both don't make any money selling their own games and hardware, nor do they make any money from licensing fees because no one else even prints discs for their platform.

But yeah it's going to be hard to pull good financial results like this, especially since they're not likely to have a bunch of big first party sellers on 3DS given the void of announcements.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Castlevania breaks my heart, such an awesome revitalized franchise.
LoS2, Really good game, totally flat lined.

The success of Theif, which kind of spanked Hitman reboot even, paints a good picture for the hunger of next gen owners for new software though. Those SKUs did surprisingly well despite the mixed reception (similiae to LoS2) which was old gen only.

Konami probably regretting not having these skus ready considering castlevania is the bigger brand with more momentum coming off of more recent success of LoS1

Hell new rayman legends did better

Chobel

Hopefully next month creamsugar will be drop soft software sales numbers with Titanfall and Infamous. Just read that EA is expecting 2.4 million Titanfall sales in March and 6M for the year, that sounds crazy. The whole life of 360 it only had seven games sell that many copies, and they're expecting that in 9 months on a new platform.

They mean XBO+X360+PC sales, so it's totally possible.

MechaX

Man, those Lightning Returns numbers...

It doesn't matter what way you spin it, but there is no reason why a sequel for a mainline FF game (at least one with more effort put into it than Revenant Wings), should be selling within spitting distance of Tales games in the West.

He didn't say google searches alone, he cited them as part of a whole collection of data aggregated from multiple sources. Explicit Google searches may not be the strongest source of signal in this instance. They don't have to be.

Meanwhile my Google Now screen has been feeding me updates almost daily on Infamous recently, even though I've never done a formal search for the game. They seemed to figure out I'm at least generally interested in the game (which I am) and they're using the same kind of signals as Sony is, I'm sure.

Now that would be a team up, now wouldn't it? Sony and Google team up for the purpose of doing analytics on gamers.

sportz103

Here is what it looks like when you put second son.
If you do it by year, they are about the same
Take the space out of "Titan Fall", it will make a massive difference. "Titan fall" is 40% less popular than "second son", "Titanfall" is 733% more popular than "second son"

jayu26

I think this was a great month. Xbone and PS4 coming along nicely. Things are picking up over on the Nintendo's side as well. Awesome stuff.

TyrantII

Hopefully next month creamsugar will be drop soft software sales numbers with Titanfall and Infamous. Just read that EA is expecting 2.4 million Titanfall sales in March and 6M for the year, that sounds crazy. The whole life of 360 it only had seven games sell that many copies, and they're expecting that in 9 months on a new platform.

That probably be a 50%+ attach rate for one game. Doesn't seem likely.

Petty sure Mortimer said that Titanfall is getting more media headlines while inFamous is tracking ahead in social metrics. So you're not proving him wrong in any way

It's the same with web search, news search and youtube hits. I'm sure Infamous will sell well, the past two did and there isn't much on PS4 at the moment but it will be dwarfed by Titanfall.

dkeane

Really wish CBOAT could dish out the NPDs one more time.
Used to be so glorious. So difficult to understand the business with such limited data.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let me join the fun just because I have been using Topsy recently. :p

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=infamous&q2=titanfall&via=Topsy

1aKsgnm.png

http://topsy.com/s?q=infamous&window=m
http://topsy.com/s?q=titanfall&window=m

I mean in all honesty I can't imagine a game backed as a major flagship title by EA (the biggest third party on consoles) and Microsoft (huge success at pushing multiplayer shooters) from the creators of Medal of Honor and Call of Duty (two of the biggest shooter franchises of all time) getting outsold by Infamous, which was a mid-tier performing franchise on PS3.

I think this is a good timing for growth for Infamous, but still, that's a huge hill to climb.

Im calling bullshit on this. I think Infamous will do fantastically well for the series and wont be too far behind WW but I do not think it will beat Titanfall by any stretch.

I understand that there may be a high view count on youtube for official videos, but that ignores the massive amount of user made videos for titanfall. People didn't need to watch official walkthroughs/ videos for titanfall because there were mirrors EVERYWHERE.

As for twitter traffic, that will always be a very fickle beast that can't really be translated into sales expectations. The Xbox one has trended higher than the PS4 for all of feb and look at the numbers.

Preorder data is interesting, but it means little as the bulk of sales are not made through preorders.

You may be right. There's usually a weakness in every metric. Youtube views are down... but is that because other youtubers have vids of one game and not the other? Is it because in the overwhelming media coverage of TF they saw all the video they needed there?

Google searches... never said that infamous was leading this, but even if they were... does that just mean that titanfall info is easier to find?

Twitter mentions? Again, I didn't say who was ahead (because I don't know). But there can by a myriad of reasons why it's mentioned on twitter, including the debate over the downgrade.

Metrics aren't perfect. All I was trying to say is that people who follow these things have repeated over and over that infamous is going to do very well. They might be wrong and you might be right. I'm not passing judgement. I'm just passing info.

:)

Ridley327

I remember when 150k for Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness was bad...

The sad part is that the Wii U version of Rayman is still the best-selling version.

By and large, gamers just do not want Rayman, and that's all 31 flavors of sad at the Baskin-Robbins of depressing facts.

You may be right. There's usually a weakness in every metric. Youtube views are down... but is that because other youtubers have vids of one game and not the other? Is it because in the overwhelming media coverage of TF they saw all the video they needed there?

Google searches... never said that infamous was leading this, but even if they were... does that just mean that titanfall info is easier to find?

Twitter mentions? Again, I didn't say who was ahead (because I don't know). But there can by a myriad of reasons why it's mentioned on twitter, including the debate over the downgrade.

Metrics aren't perfect. All I was trying to say is that people who follow these things have repeated over and over that infamous is going to do very well. They might be wrong and you might be right. I'm not passing judgement. I'm just passing info.

:)

Oh infamous will do well my friend. Just not titanfall tier well. :)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Larger install base and a bigger hunger for something new makes me think they will be pretty damn tight in NA. A landslide for inFamous WW.

Could end up having longer legs, too. If PS4 continues to sell more than XB1 on an ongoing basis in the months to come.

Multiplayer games sell well, but then again open world games can also sell extremely well.

No way does InFamous do better than Titanfall in the US in its first month though. But it'll still be quite successful.

heidern

So was the XB1 number for January deflated because of returns from scrapers? Pretty good numbers for it and the PS4 though. Last gen drop off isn't good though.

Donkey Kong did ok I guess for only 8 days, will have to see what legs it has. Wii U software sales up 180% and hardware up 25%. 3DS software up 25% with Bravely Default hitting 40% digital. Those are all decent numbers but definitely want to see the 3DS hardware. Retail releases are bad for Wii U until Mario Kart but perhaps indie games are doing ok in filling the gaps for them.

Metallix87

The sad part is that the Wii U version of Rayman is still the best-selling version.

By and large, gamers just do not want Rayman, and that's all 31 flavors of sad at the Baskin-Robbins of depressing facts.

Honestly, I blame this on a decade or more being spent flooding the market with lazy Rayman 2 ports on every device known to man. Rayman became synonymous with rushed, early-gen filler, and two relatively awesome games can't seem to kill that reputation.

Kandinsky

This was an account suicide mate. Pete Dodd (Famousmortimer) has the best track record of any insider here.
This is no fair imo, he was a junior why the hell would he had to know who that person is, why cant he question him?, it doesnt make any sense to me really.

Well, while 3DS aggregate software and hardware sales aren't stellar, they do at least bring in a fair amount of licensing fees still, and I believe they actually have some level of profit margin on the hardware.

The Wii U's issue is they both don't make any money selling their own games and hardware, nor do they make any money from licensing fees because no one else even prints discs for their platform.

But yeah it's going to be hard to pull good financial results like this, especially since they're not likely to have a bunch of big first party sellers on 3DS given the void of announcements.

I guess going forward Nintendo has to decide if those HW profit margins are worth it or is trying to spur higher sales again worth more. I'm sure Nintendo still has money to be made with the 3DS but it seems to be slowing down only what 3 years into its life? And it certainly feels like the 3DS is carrying the Wii U on its back financially at least. Without the 3DS eating some of the losses the Wii U pulls, Nintendo has some tough decisions going forward

Top Bottom