• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

Wynnebeck

Banned
You may be right. There's usually a weakness in every metric. Youtube views are down... but is that because other youtubers have vids of one game and not the other? Is it because in the overwhelming media coverage of TF they saw all the video they needed there?

Google searches... never said that infamous was leading this, but even if they were... does that just mean that titanfall info is easier to find?

Twitter mentions? Again, I didn't say who was ahead (because I don't know). But there can by a myriad of reasons why it's mentioned on twitter, including the debate over the downgrade.

Metrics aren't perfect. All I was trying to say is that people who follow these things have repeated over and over that infamous is going to do very well. They might be wrong and you might be right. I'm not passing judgement. I'm just passing info.

:)

Your info is always appreciated. Hear any rumblings of projected unit sales for the quarter? I'm expecting the game to sell well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
175k < 3ds + vita < 180k

damn these posts are so cryptic for me! I just cant comprehend..

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

This is no fait imo, he was a junior why the hell would he had to know who that person is, why cant he question him?, it doesnt make any sense to me really.

There's questioning and there is being a dick (while also making false claims). Somehow you thought I was the dick there, which I found weird, but did he question me or was he a sarcastic dick making false claims? Because it seems clear to me.

Edit: Thoughts of Speaking also questioned me and did so in a respectful and thoughtful manner.

libregkd

This is no fait imo, he was a junior why the hell would he had to know who that person is, why cant he question him?, it doesnt make any sense to me really.
While I think it's fine and all to question someone's legitimacy, I don't think a good way to go about that is to just start spouting off bullshit just cause.

Metallix87

I guess going forward Nintendo has to decide if those HW profit margins are worth it or is trying to spur higher sales again worth more. I'm sure Nintendo still has money to be made with the 3DS but it seems to be slowing down only what 3 years into its life? And it certainly feels like the 3DS is carrying the Wii U on its back financially at least. Without the 3DS eating some of the losses the Wii U pulls, Nintendo has some tough decisions going forward

Unfortunately, I think the biggest issues the 3DS faces are price and content. The 3DS still remains relatively expensive, despite being on the market now for roughly three years. On top of that, a lot of the 3DS content remains trapped in Japan, as countless games are not being localized, leaving consumers starved for something to play. There are big releases, sure, but overall, the ecosystem is very dry and arid, and Nintendo should try throwing some money around to get some of the more notable titles to cross over to the West and bolster sales.

Kandinsky

There's questioning and there is being a dick (while also making false claims). Somehow you thought I was the dick there, which I found weird, but did he question me or was he a sarcastic dick making false claims? Because it seems clear to me.
So he cant question you with sarcastic remarks because you are you?

Oh you just wait til he gets his uncle that works at Sony on the phone with you! You will be shamed!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess going forward Nintendo has to decide if those HW profit margins are worth it or is trying to spur higher sales again worth more. I'm sure Nintendo still has money to be made with the 3DS but it seems to be slowing down only what 3 years into its life? And it certainly feels like the 3DS is carrying the Wii U on its back financially at least. Without the 3DS eating some of the losses the Wii U pulls, Nintendo has some tough decisions going forward

Yeah the 3DS seems to have peaked somewhere between late year 1 and early year 2, whereas consoles (prior to gen 7) would traditionally peak in year 3. It makes sitting on the platform a long time rather hard.

Honestly, were I Nintendo I'd just drop one line and double down on the portables, even if that doesn't seem like the world's healthiest market.

Doing two things in a mediocre-to-poor fashion is worse than doing one thing great, and adding in a third thing instead as a response just strikes me as bonkers, especially when they don't really have any strong reason to believe they will be a huge hit in that field.

Biker19

Banned
While I think it's fine and all to question someone's legitimacy, I don't think a good way to go about that is to just start spouting off bullshit just cause.

Exactly. If posters like freefornow are gonna say anything that we don't know about, then they need to either provide proof, or risk getting banned. That's the way how it always is around here.

Unfortunately, I think the biggest issues the 3DS faces are price and content. The 3DS still remains relatively expensive, despite being on the market now for roughly three years. On top of that, a lot of the 3DS content remains trapped in Japan, as countless games are not being localized, leaving consumers starved for something to play. There are big releases, sure, but overall, the ecosystem is very dry and arid, and Nintendo should try throwing some money around to get some of the more notable titles to cross over to the West and bolster sales.

It seems like they're doing exactly that, but there's only so much money you can throw around and still publish your own games.

If Square-Enix isn't going to do Bravely Default because they want to push Lightning Returns, they're simply not going to do Bravely Default.

Chobel

This is no fair imo, he was a junior why the hell would he had to know who that person is, why cant he question him?, it doesnt make any sense to me really.

He knows that famousmortimer is an insider. He just don't trust (like?) his leaks

Because here in neogaf you must have two sources to post something like this, and @atpetedodd is famousmortimer, a gaffer, so him not posting it by himself means he has only one source.
Didn't stop him posting that insider "completely broken XB1 OS" prior to launch BS.
Why he is given oxygen I'll never know.

Melchiah

It was a business decision that probably did not pay off

It's not like it is something foreign to Sony, they locked up EA Sports from the Dreamcast back in the good old days

Sorry for going off-topic, but I just have to answer this old myth with few quotes.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/974/974695p9.html
To this day, many credit Electronic Arts' lack of support as the Dreamcast's undoing, and much mystery and speculation has surrounded the falling out. Stolar has been kind enough to illuminate the situation, once and for all:

"[Former Electronic Arts CEO] Larry Probst is a dear friend of mine. Larry came to me and said, 'Bernie, we'll do Dreamcast games, but we want sports exclusivity.' I said, 'You want to be on the system with no other third-party sports games?'

"I looked at him and said, 'You know what? I'll do it, but there's one caveat here: I just bought a company called Visual Concepts for $10 million, so you'll have to compete with them.' Larry says, 'No, you can't even put them on the system.' I said 'Then Larry, you and I are not going to be partners on this system.'" -- Bernie Stolar​

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132517/the_rise_and_fall_of_the_dreamcast.php?page=3
Ultimately, Sega's various hardware and business decisions lined up like a row of red flags for EA. According to Gordon, the indecision over the chipset was one thing, the flip-flopping over whether to include a modem was another, but the final straw was Sega's hardball tactics during negotiations over licensing.

"There was a push from Sega, which was having cash flow problems, and they couldn't afford to give us the same kind of license that EA has had over the last five years. So EA basically said, 'You can't succeed without us.' And Sega said, 'Sure we can. We're Sega.'

The Hermit

You gave us an update in December, so in January + February:

Rayman +11k
MH3U +4k
Sonic +12k
W101 +16k

biggest growth yay!

I will help you 101, just have to clear my backlog a bit, just hang on!

Come on now, it was pretty obvious he was being sarcastic, nobody was believing his 'facts'.

Yeah I feel bad for him too, but this is the thing with juniors here, they have to be very careful before posting something. He wasn't, made one and his last mistake.

Usobuko

Banned
Price drop really help the W101 not that it matters a lot. I recall it being $23.99 for quite a while. I would have bought an additional copy on Amazon if Nintendo allows oversea shipment. All these offers, discounts, LE, CE by Nintendo are mostly available for domestic shipment.

Metallix87

It seems like they're doing exactly that, but there's only so much money you can throw around and still publish your own games.

If Square-Enix isn't going to do Bravely Default because they want to push Lightning Returns, they're simply not going to do Bravely Default.

True enough I suppose, but it's a sad state of affairs, isn't it? The 3DS continues to starve because third party publishers don't feel like localizing content.

Tripon

Edit: Thoughts of Speaking also questioned me and did so in a respectful and thoughtful manner.

Right, the guy is going to get banned for being a dick and stating info that's obviously false.

I most certainly agree at least on price. I've never been much of a portable gamer so not familiar with what libraries should be expected at what point in a Nintendo handhelds life but even I can see the price tag of the 3DS's and even the 2DS's as negatively impacting sales.

Both Nintendo and Sony launched their handhelds at too high an initial price. I feel neither have gotten them to the really sweet spot of pricing yet for a handheld

Ridley327

Castlevania am cry

They really left it out to die, huh?

With the talk that came up about its development, I get the feeling that Konami just wanted to be done with it and released with the bare minimum of marketing. Keep in mind I don't blame Mercury Steam entirely for the state of affairs, because Konami is completely incapable of carrying one of their franchises these days to a satisfactory degree unless it's MGS. They are absolutely terrible at managing that kind of stuff.

Lord Creamsugar! Thanks for giving us updated numbers for MH3U!

MH3U selling 16K from January to February is pretty good.

And we see why MH4U is going directly to 3DS.
It's quite amazing for an enhanced version released a year ago and with no online multiplayer.

Monster Hunter 4 will destroy the charts! It's a brand new entry and with online mode, 3DS is also in much better shape.

I predict 300k sold at launch. Slay.

I find EA apologising to Sony very hard to believe whether it was meant to be literal or not. Why weren't Sony pro-active in getting TF on their platform? Its their own fault its not on PS3/4, the original deal was for a year, the second deal for permanent exclusivity of the first one wasn't announced until October or November? EA/Sony/MS could have foreseen how things were going to go after the frankly awful Xbox One unveiling. Theres more than enough time in there for Sony to ensure it didn't go full and EA didn't have to take the money bags.

Its not like Respawn are some unknown start-up who (might) strike lucky, surely you'd be asking EA what they're working on constantly to ensure that sort of deal didn't happen?

2016 sounds like a good bet though, because its either just over 1.5 years dev time for TF2 or just over 2.5 years, I can't see another March release. Nor do I think Respawn will want to push for a quick launch in Fall 2015

http://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-owners-deserting-microsoft-consoles-playstation-4-174504783.html

A survey of 1,727 readers revealed that 35% of gamers who owned both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have opted to purchase a PlayStation 4 while only 23% bought an Xbox One. Brand loyalty was a major selling point for gamers who only owned one last-gen console, but “dual owners” are skewed in Sony’s direction, primarily because of the enhanced specifications.

It confirms what we already know but I thought I'd toss it out there since we are talking sales today.

TyrantII

So he cant question you with sarcastic remarks because you are you?

Not in the way he went about it.

Everyone is free to disagree. Attacking another member and throwing out false claims as a "fuck you, who are you" isn't kosher. If more juniors read the TOS and forum rules, like required, they'd know so.

I don't know if Sony has been sitting on Consoles in warehouses, but it is mighty convenient stores are getting huge shipments, like the largest since holidays, the week of Infamous and MGS.

And it makes sense. You want to be able to sell consoles the week of your first big releases since holidays.

Hex

Banned
If Titan Fall and the ramp to it can not do it for them, no sure where they have left to go.
March will be massive for NPD drama.
The ramp up did not do the deed, will the main event and "here we will give you the game please" bundles?

Metallix87

I most certainly agree at least on price. I've never been much of a portable gamer so not familiar with what libraries should be expected at what point in a Nintendo handhelds life but even I can see the price tag of the 3DS's and even the 2DS's as negatively impacting sales.

Both Nintendo and Sony launched their handhelds at too high an initial price. I feel neither have gotten them to the really sweet spot of pricing yet for a handheld

It's more than just the hardware price. It's the price of software, as well. The sweet spot for handheld game prices seems to be $19.99 - $29.99. The new norm of $34.99 - $49.99 is just ridiculous, and clearly hurting the market, alongside the prices of the hardware.

As for the library, the fact that we're in March, and there's only going to be two major notable releases this year in the West by the end of the month (Bravely Default and Yoshi's New Island) is absurd. The fact that Nintendo seems to be the only one supporting the system in the West despite it's huge success speaks volumes about how dire the situation is.

Killzone sold 2.1 million copies +.

Not sure what world people live in that inFamous isn't more appealing to general gamers. It's a freaking super hero open world game, and seem to be taking advantage of what "next gen" is supposed to offer.

I predict it will sell a few copies. Maybe even a bunch.

Killzone is a lot more popular than Infamous.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Maybe if one just reads the following at face value:

Believe it, don't believe it... but don't argue with me

Prove it to a mod or enjoy your ban.

one might interpret the wording as slightly condescending; however, I know that was not your intention but one might think so if one is not an active user of Neogaf and does not understand its regulations.

Hug it out guys :)

It's more than just the hardware price. It's the price of software, as well. The sweet spot for handheld game prices seems to be $19.99 - $29.99. The new norm of $34.99 - $49.99 is just ridiculous, and clearly hurting the market, alongside the prices of the hardware.

As for the library, the fact that we're in March, and there's only going to be two major notable releases this year in the West by the end of the month (Bravely Default and Yoshi's New Island) is absurd. The fact that Nintendo seems to be the only one supporting the system in the West despite it's huge success speaks volumes about how dire the situation is.

Ah yes I always forget about handheld pricing. It's almost as if handhelds got a next gen tax on software much like the bump from PS2/GCN/XB -> PS360/Wii transition

I wonder if its a publisher reaction to the used market or increased dev cost on handhelds?

Still seems idiotic to hamstring the entire market with those prices

Tripon

I went from 360 only to PS4 only, and I like to think there's more people like me out there as well.

I was a 360/PS3 guy with the 360 being my main console. I mainly owned the PS4 for exclusives and japanese games at that. I'm PS4 only until the One hits 299. Unless something dramatically changes (and there are some new faces at the helms), I'll be mainly a PS4 gamer with a few Xbox One exclusives as an aside.

Kandinsky

No, he can't question any member gaf with sarcastic remarks, specifically false claims, because the rules are the rules for everyone.
I really dont think is that simple, hell you even see mods in this very thread making fun of people with sarcastic remarks. This is the first time i read anything like this, amusing stuff.

But yeah, I dont know why I even bother, that oxygen comment was horrible and seemed personal, carry on.

Sony also used it's own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn't even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full "We're so fucking sorry, Sony" mode currently.

It's amazing that people keep telling you things since you have less of a filter than just about anyone out there (for instance, I'm sure games writers hear a lot of the same shit as you but they don't share to preserve their job).

But I'm glad they keep telling you shit because it makes things interesting to read around here. I just wish you had more contacts outside of Sonyland so we'd get even more interesting stuff from MS/Nintendo/3rd parties.

With that said, there's clearly a lot of pent up demand for a new PS4 game so inFamous should do well. However, I think it's less about inFamous (which I really like, by the way) and more about there not being shit else. I do think it will sell a ton since early adopters need SOMETHING to play but I don't know if it will sustain itself in the way that some other bigger name franchises can do.

And I think Watch Dogs will come out and do huge numbers, making most gamers forget about inFamous.

Top Bottom