• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Nope, not at a $100 dollars more, it might get a sales bump, but it won't maintain it....let's see April and Mays NPD data before implying the weaker, more expensive console is the sales leader in the US....

I'm not implying, im guessing like everyone else.

Squalor

It's common sense....Sony dominates the WW markets, period. Sony will ahve vastly betetr asian support then MS, 360 has lost odyssey and a bunch mroe early on amde zero difference. Plus mainland europe doesn;t care for xbox either.
Your grammar and over-bias hurt my brain too much. There's no point having a conversation with you.
Yeah, this is crazy. I'm getting attacked because I believe the Xbox One will outsell the PS4 in March. Video games are serious business!
I'm not saying that your getting "attacked" is correct, but you're acting as though you're the first person to ever receive negative feedback for voicing a dissenting opinion about a video-game console. Come on, man.

Davey Cakes

Looks like Donkey Kong did alright and even gave the Wii U a bump.

Unlike Japan, which is a shit show.

I have high hopes that, despite the wait, Mario Kart will either give the Wii U a massive bump or at least increase its sales trends to a consistent and respectable level. No one's expecting PS4/XBO numbers at this point.

Also, since NA seems to actually support Nintendo, it's time to give NOA more control. What's going on in Japan isn't doing the company any favors. Shift focus to the market that actually cares somewhat.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It is supply constrained but it's not hard to get one. Similar to the situation in Japan a week after launch. Anyone who wants a PS4 this month will get one.

Lol we keep going around in circles. To say anyone who wants one will get one is basically saying the system is not supply constrained which we know to be the opposite. I'm not understanding why people keep making this a point of contention.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is an NPD thread, but I can't help but to notice that some people are treating these results as the only important sales figures out there. There is the rest of the world, you know...

And with that said, I maintain that Xbox One will not outsell PS4 in March. I just don't see it happening. Most of the Xbox One sales as a result of Titanfall should have happened prior to its release, I think. Surely there will be sales now through March because of Titanfall, but I think the majority of those sales happened before its release, presumably toward the end of February.

I know this is an NPD thread, but I can't help but to notice that some people are treating these results as the only important sales figures out there. There is the rest of the world, you know...

Because it's taken for granted PS4 will outsell XB1 in March... globally. Asian markets won't move to XB1 Titanfall because we're a market that embraces both PC gaming and consoles, Japan won't get it... Rest of Europe... nah.

It's pretty clear the only 2 markets that can get a significant momentum shift from Titanfall is NA/UK, and nowhere else at the moment.

Global figures are discussed once global is shared. Otherwise, NPD is normally just NPD.

But as you said, this is a NPD thread, most do know that the rest of the world exists.

See, I'm not really sold on the idea that MS has March won because of Titanfall. You have ~2.5million PS4 owners clammering for a new AAA game, and it is Infamous. It's a great title to pitch up against TF. It will be close again is my estimate, and if X1 wins, it will be by a razer thin margin imo.

It's not a question of will Infamous move game units, it's a question of wither or not people will buy a ps4 just to play infamous.

A lot of folks seem to question if Infamous will attract new ps4 buyers, compared to titanfall attracting new xb1 owners. It's a valid question I think.

I personally think it will be a great showcase title, and if it's visuals are as good as the trailers, it could attract a few curious users. Titanfall is far more hyped up though, and a lot of the COD fans here at work want a copy. I'm not sure how many will throw down for an xb1 to get one, over the pc version or even 360 version though. Really interested to see how this plays out sales wise next month.

ClearData

Does anyone think there will be a resupply of PS4s for Infamous's launch week or is Sony tapped out for the month? I'm guessing a refreshment for a few retailers by Tuesday.

Fangrim

I was in one of the Danish electronics stores yesterday.

They 5 had Xbox Ones available. No PS4's in sight, and the clerk couldn't tell me when they'd be in the wild - they had a very long backlog of preorders for the PS4 that had to be filled first. He also told me that they hadn't sold an Xbox One for at least 2 days (he didn't know anything about the time before that).

Why is this relevant? Well, the Xbox One hasn't been officially launched in Denmark yet (they were UK imports) - and still they didn't sell!

Microsoft has no chance in Denmark, and I feel this is accurate for the rest of Europe too.

TyrantII

Fact is, I could walk into nearly any Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or Best Buy in my area and pick up a PS4. The "supply constrained" thing doesn't hold water if you're just looking at online sources.

I'm in a major market (northeast) and finding a PS4 in the wild is slim pickings. Same word from friends in Canada. It's not impossible to stumble on them if a truck just came in, but its still unlikely and very few units are in B&M's around here.

Supply is spotty at best and is still very supply constrained here. YMMV.

When FRY's out west can't keep them in stock, I tend to agree with the assessments on supply.

molnizzle

I maintain that Xbox One will not outsell PS4 in March. I just don't see it happening. Most of the Xbox One sales as a result of Titanfall should have happened prior to its release, I think. Surely there will be sales now through March because of Titanfall, but I think the majority of those sales happened before its release, presumably toward the end of February.

Maybe. I know that I personally wasn't planning on buying an Xbone at all, and yet I somehow ended up with one hooked up to my television on Tuesday.

The question is, how many others did the same thing I did? It'll probably be hard to gauge until we get more numbers next month.

I will say that Sony was smart to hold back supply in February. They seem to be saturating the market now. I can see March going either way, honestly.

Kuro

Is there anything coming out for PS4 in April besides Daylight and FF XIV? April seems pretty empty for your typical mainstream US gamer. I'm not sure Infamous can carry PS4 sales through that month while Titanfall will definitely carry XB1 through April.

I personally think it will pull ahead in March and stay there.

I don't think it will stay there, but it might pull ahead slightly over March/April. They still have a price issue which won't be fixed until they drop it. At least $50 off is needed with a game which I think might happen in May

Bgamer90

Banned
Most of the Xbox One sales as a result of Titanfall should have happened prior to its release, I think. Surely there will be sales now through March because of Titanfall, but I think the majority of those sales happened before its release, presumably toward the end of February.

Question for people who are saying this: couldn't the same be said for Infamous then? Do most people who want Infamous already have a PS4?

I mean, I feel that the sales for both consoles will be higher for next month's NPD due to major games coming out for both this month. I just don't get the whole "everyone who wanted Titanfall already bought an Xbox One before the game launched" when that isn't true at all.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Nah, don't see it. The spring/summer is all multiplatform games which is where being a more expensive yet weaker console will continue to bite MS in the ass. May should be a nice month for Sony with MLB and Watch Dogs coming out.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
But as you said, this is a NPD thread, most do know that the rest of the world exists.

I understand, but the attitude some people adopt are akin to, for example, "so long as console X wins NPD then that console is fine" This hasn't been said outright but that seems to be the consensus of some.

pooptest

Sony and MS are in the heat of battle for NA.

I don't think it's that much of a close race considering PS4 has been supply constrained since day 1 and is still barely available than the last couple months and it's the middle of March. I'm sure MS might win March, but it's not solely because of Titanfall.

It's still widely out of stock except for Amazon, it seems, or forced bundles from BB/GS.

Bgamer90

Banned
Nah, don't see it. The spring/summer is all multiplatform games which is where being a more expensive yet weaker console will continue to bite MS in the ass. May should be a nice month for Sony with MLB and Watch Dogs coming out.

Watch_Dogs will help the PS4 more than MLB.

MLB isn't that popular of a sport and the game series isn't that popular either.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Question for people who are saying this: couldn't the same be said for Infamous then? Do most people who want Infamous already have a PS4?

I mean, I feel that the sales for both consoles will be higher for next month's NPD due to major games coming out for both this month. I just don't get the whole "everyone who wanted Titanfall already bought an Xbox One before the game launched" when that isn't true at all.

Yes, the same can be said for Infamous. I think the bumps we'll see in March will come more from higher supply and being a 5 week month than anything related to Infamous and Titanfall.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I understand, but the attitude some people adopt are akin to, for example, "so long as console X wins NPD then that console is fine" This hasn't been said outright but that seems to be the consensus of some.
People might say this because the US is seen as the most important market. I dont see whats so wrong about that honestly. Especially in a thread pertaining to US results.

Bailers

March is going to be a great month. Lots of crow will be eaten, lots of upsets, tears, and huge numbers. :)

Good, salt stocks are dropping rapidly thanks to the harsh winter. Time to stock up.

I agree with you about March. But after Titanfall, there's not a lot out there that I see really selling systems. Maybe Halo if it comes out this year. On the other hand, I think MLB14 will sell some PS4's, and you know Uncharted will. The Order has the potential, we'll see.

E3 is pretty important to MS if they want to sell systems this year.

pooptest

I don't know about 300,000... Titanfall has been hyped for a long time now and I think most of the people that wanted the game and the console to play it on have already got it. Yes, the Titanfall bundle helps (helped), but I can see it selling systems more in the past couple months than the 10 days leading up to the release. We'll have to see March numbers, though.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

Infamous is coming out nearly two weeks after Titanfall, well into mid-March. If we can assume that a lot of sales are done weeks prior to a game's launch, then it's logical to think that more PS4 sales as a result of Infamous' inevitable release has happened and will happen in March because they're releasing later, where as Titanfall fell closer to the beginning of March, and if Xbox One sales for that game happened weeks before hand, you're looking at February.

None of this is concrete but it's an attempt to understand or I suppose give reason to sales data.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

MLB isn't that popular of a sport and the game series isn't that popular either.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. Watch Dogs is going to be massive regardless of what anyone thinks about downgraded graphics.

True and untrue.

The more niche a series (with consistent sales numbers regardless of install base), the more hardcore they are, and in some ways, they move more consoles on a 'instantaneous burst' perspective.

When IDOLM@STER gets released for PS4, I expect an overall boost of 150k units of PS4 sold, because that niche franchise has apparently maintained that approximate level of consistency throughout that franchise life.

A major game helps the console more as a pivot to attract a wider breadth of audience to the console, but said audience could easily have been the same person who would had jumped in for Destiny, Batman or new CoD.

People are silly to think that Ground Zeroes will have no effect. MGS4 doubled PS3 sales in its launch month. I'm sure some of those fans are wanting the next gen version. And let's be real. How many of them are going to choose the inferior version on the more expensive hardware from a brand that has never been associated with the series in the past?

Bgamer90

Banned

I understand that line of thinking considering that it would be almost impossible for companies that make major AAA games to ignore a system that's in the #1 spot in the U.S..

"Doing fine" though is different from "an overall console sales win".

It's not a question of will Infamous move game units, it's a question of wither or not people will buy a ps4 just to play infamous.

A lot of folks seem to question if Infamous will attract new ps4 buyers, compared to titanfall attracting new xb1 owners. It's a valid question I think.

I personally think it will be a great showcase title, and if it's visuals are as good as the trailers, it could attract a few curious users. Titanfall is far more hyped up though, and a lot of the COD fans here at work want a copy. I'm not sure how many will throw down for an xb1 to get one, over the pc version or even 360 version though. Really interested to see how this plays out sales wise next month.

Right, but the question is, will the TF movement of console be enough to edge out the rather steady movement of PS4s? You might be right in the sense that Infamous won't be able to move any consoles that aren't there, since seemingly, Sony has already been moving every PS4 that enters the retailer.

So, the question is really, can XB1 move more consoles on Titanfall hype than PS4s move on a regular basis.

Software sales for TF and SS should be interesting as well though.

Squalor

MLB 13: The Show for the PlayStation 3 didn't even crack one million.

All the sources I have found showed between 600,000 and 700,000.

It's not going to move that many PlayStation 4s.

Metal Gear Solid V will, though.

People are silly to think that Ground Zeroes will have no effect. MGS4 doubled PS3 sales in its launch month. I'm sure some of those fans are wanting the next gen version. And let's be real. How many of them are going to choose the inferior version on the more expensive hardware from a brand that has never been associated with the series in the past?

But GZ is on four consoles, including the PS3. The PS3 version will likely sell better than the PS4 version.

Metallix87

Looks like Donkey Kong did alright and even gave the Wii U a bump.

Unlike Japan, which is a shit show.

I have high hopes that, despite the wait, Mario Kart will either give the Wii U a massive bump or at least increase its sales trends to a consistent and respectable level. No one's expecting PS4/XBO numbers at this point.

Also, since NA seems to actually support Nintendo, it's time to give NOA more control. What's going on in Japan isn't doing the company any favors. Shift focus to the market that actually cares somewhat.
Iwata should never have centralized development in Japan in the first place.

TyrantII

See, I'm not really sold on the idea that MS has March won because of Titanfall. You have ~2.5million PS4 owners clammering for a new AAA game, and it is Infamous. It's a great title to pitch up against TF. It will be close again is my estimate, and if X1 wins, it will be by a razer thin margin imo.

One thing to keep in mind is the new console sales isn't necessarily correlated to sales of these games.

Personally I think we're going to see both Infamous and Titanfall fail to move a huge number of new consoles; while doing gangbuster with those that already own one. Most of the core groups that wanted next gen have it and are currently thirsty for software. There was a few that "waited for games", but I don't think it's going to drive ridiculous numbers and the current dynamic will mostly hold, albeit with slightly higher sales.

That said its essential for Sony to fill their retail channel and get rid of their supply issues. It seems they're selling 99.9% of what they ship in the US and still have trouble keeping the system in stock. With major game releases on the horizon, its a problem they need to fix if they want to grow their sales.

jcm

So are we really not going to get a 3DS/Vita number? I'm so sick of NPD's bullshit. If I ever hit the lottery I swear I'll start sales tracking company and put them out of business.

Does anyone think there will be a resupply of PS4s for Infamous's launch week or is Sony tapped out for the month? I'm guessing a refreshment for a few retailers by Tuesday.

Amazon said they would be resupplied for March 18th, but it looks like they have a fresh supply in right now.

MLB 13: The Show for the PlayStation 3 didn't even crack one million.

All the sources I have found showed between 600,000 and 700,000.

It's not going to move that many PlayStation 4s.

Metal Gear Solid V will, though.

You mean an overpriced demo that someone in the OT finished its main mission in under an hour? Yeah, it's going to cause shortages in PS4s all across the globe for sure.

Harts316

The weekly sales in Japan for the PS4 seemed to be lower than people were expected. Does that mean that less stock was diverted to Japan that people are making it out to be in this thread?

Top Bottom