• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

lefantome

I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS comparison was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (both mobile and dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

The ds sold 2.5 millions in the us during that quarter.

For reference from the Pachter tweet April 2007 which would've been the DS' 29th month had the launch of Diamond and Pearl.

Also can anyone get the LTD of the DS at that point and subtract 1.5 million to get the 3DS' current LTD?

Pachter is probably referring to the launch week as "one month / its first month." So if you count 29 NPD reporting periods the total should be November 2004 - March 2007, with a LTD of roughly 10,359,108.

Which would then should put the LTD of the DS at ~8,859,108 in the USA, if the calculations are done right.

qq more

People forget that this is when the DS ascended to insane Heavenly Figures, which closed on 150 million. You'll never see those numbers for any console again without some industry earthquake of change, and 3DS is most likely going to sell around GBA lifetime numbers all said and done (maybe a bit beyond depending on revisions and the length they want to leave it on market).

Good news for Nintendo sticking around as a hardware manufacturer, bad news for that market clearly having shrunk by at least half when you consider the total disappearance of PSP sales on top. Now the struggle to ensure it doesnt erode even further next-gen and Nintendo gives people enough reasons to want dedicated handhelds.

Absolutely agreed. 3DS isn't going to match DS numbers and probably never will. I thought everyone would see that coming since the DS was just a god damn beast just like the PS2.

Come on guys. You know those July heat waves were especially brutal this year.

LOL That never gets old

Gestault

Now that PS3 has $199 model, X360 need a price drop and fast.

Has there been a definite confirmation of how that model works with certain games? Like, without any DLC, my GT5 on PS3 has a 13 gb install. Does that mean you couldn't actually play GT5 on the $199 system?

(And more importantly, does it still have the ability to install whatever laptop hard drive you want? Because all things considered, that's a tasty price.)

FZZ

Banned
so nsmbu sold around 30k this month.

So digital is <10k?

Pachter is probably referring to the launch month as "one month / first month." So if you count 29 NPD reporting periods the total should be November 2004 - March 2007, with a LTD of roughly 10,359,108.

Which would then should put the LTD of the DS at ~8,859,108 in the USA, if the calculations are done right.

Thank you. It's going to be very interesting to see how Pokémon X & Y will affect the sales of the 3DS.

And yeah I thought he meant first month is November of 2004, I just calculated it incorrectly, my apologies.

I know 360 isn't blowing PS3 out the water every month. But how does Sony not win at least one month with TLOU selling damn good? Same thing goes for when GOW:A came out in march.

Kazerei

Banned
Retail still down YOY huh. I wonder how much is because of rising digital sales. Still, I get the feeling the industry is seriously fatigued. Hopefully new consoles this holiday will get things going.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
so nsmbu sold around 30k this month.

Considering it was already over 800k last month as you said, this would put it at 830k just retail...how much is NSMBU selling digitally, actually? :(

beril

this spin makes my head hurt. does it mean earthbound moved more copies then pikmin?

What they're saying is that Earthbound is the 3rd fastest selling game on the WiiU eShop ever, in terms of revenue. Pikmin generated more revenue, but was more expensive so we can't know if it sold more or fever copies.

Mory Dunz

I got my 360 prediction (105K) essentially spot on this month. :)

image.php

I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS comparison was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (both mobile and dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

Well, you can't ignore that there was also a strong PSP in the first years of the NDS.

Today, the VITA is dead. And the 3DS is 1.5 million behind the NDS. The handheld market is a dying market.

Guevara

I know 360 isn't blowing PS3 out the water every month. But how does Sony not win at least one month with TLOU selling damn good? Same thing goes for when GOW:A came out in march.

The easy answer is that everyone who wanted those games already owned the console. We've had 3 Uncharteds. I know it's not exactly the same, but if you like those kinds of games you probably already had a PS3.

jett

D-Member
The Legs of Us.

I don't understand the success of physical Minecraft. Is there even a disc inside the box or it is just a download code?

allan-bh

Considering it was already over 800k last month as you said, this would put it at 830k just retail...how much is NSMBU selling digitally, actually? :(

Nintendo combined number it's not based on NPD+eShop. It's based on internal estimates.

GulAtiCa

Well TLoU did release at end of the cycle, and I'd guess that most people who might be interested already had a PS3. People like me who bought a PS3 for TLoU are probably the tiny minority. Though, granted I did buy my PS3 last year.

Yawnier

Banned

NA is one territory where the 360 just has dominance over the PS3 when it comes to the home console space. However, the same can't be said for all that other too many other territories in the world though except for the UK perhaps.

olimpia84

Great to see The Last of Us up there, surely it's over a million by now? Animal Crossing NL continues beasting too.

Shin Megami Tensei is a cult series. If something like that can take the top spot, sales were completely ass all around.

Nono, I misread it and thought it said that if they went by individual sku, those games woudl be at the top of the list in that order. I was wondering how that would work, given some of the games on the list were near the top and only had one sku.

Bruno MB

Megami Tense series:

LTD figures as of January 2009

[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (2004.10.12) - 60,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (2005.03.29) - 51,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (2005.10.11) - 43,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (2006.10.10) - 43,000
[PS2] Persona 3 (2007.08.14) - 80,000
[PS2] Persona 3: FES (2008.04.22) - 154,000
[PS2] Persona 4 (2008.12.09) - 123,000

DaBoss

Bruno, is it possible to get opening months for all of the SMT games?

Well, you can't ignore that there was also a strong PSP in the first years of the NDS.

Today, the VITA is dead. And the 3DS is 1.5 million behind the NDS. The handheld market is a dying market.

It's a shrinking market compared to the ~220 million userbase that existed last gen, not a dying market.

Is it dead of has it just reverted back to a market where only Nintendo finds success?

People need their Pokemon.

B.O.O.M

Last month TLOU did 900k+ right? Wouldn't be surprised if it had already passed 1mil last month itself thanks to digital sales

AniHawk

the video game market is a dying market, if your dying handheld market has the top-selling platform.

Eternia

Even huge games like Halo 3 and MGS4 arriving somewhat early in a console cycle provide single month bumps of only a few hundred thousand. At this point, you're more likely to find someone buying a system because it's extremely cheap or you've reached an old enough age to get one. Otherwise, it's just preaching to the crowd and a rather large one at that.

Top Bottom