• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PS3 software sales are terrible.

Very interested to see how much they improve next month.

nategc said:

"how dear you overlook me like you did on ps2"

I didn't overlook it. I just wish I did.

slawni_aktorzy_leonardnimoy_s.jpg

"Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following NPD numbers for PS3 are great. And by great, I mean terrible. It's all awful. But it's entertainingly awful. And in the end, isn't that what's really great? The answer is: No."

Now my internet is busted all to hell for some reason but wasn't Tenchu Z released towards the beginning of June?

Dammit: going to try a restart. First time I've ever been to an NPD thread and it kills my internet.

kuYuri

meltpotato said:
Considering Tenchu Z was number 13 (havent seen units sold), i think that is actually really bad.

Considering Tenchu Z came out in June and Sigma in July, Sigma did great.

Kosma

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Now my internet is busted all to hell for some reason but wasn't Tenchu Z released towards the beginning of June?

Yes. Doesn't matter though THE MASSES HAVE SPOKEN.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
meltpotato said:
Considering Tenchu Z was number 13 (havent seen units sold), i think that is actually really bad.

We had a lot of high sellers this month, though. Looking at it just from a unit standpoint, and when it was released, I don't think it's that bad. I was expecting worse, actually.

Tiktaalik

Either Pokemon has the longest legs ever or a bunch of folks caught the Pokemon bug with Diamond/Pearl and grabbed the other ones. Probably a combination of both.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hmm...PS3 software sales seem overall pretty poor, but how do they stack up if extrapolated to a normal user base size?

I guess my question is more like, "Are PS3 owners not buying games?" or "Are there simply not enough PS3 owners?"

KINGMOKU

Y2Kev said:
Hmm...PS3 software sales seem overall pretty poor, but how do they stack up if extrapolated to a normal user base size?

I guess my question is more like, "Are PS3 owners not buying games?" or "Are there simply not enough PS3 owners?"

Hmmm. Perhaps......both?

Im still very impressed and surprised how Nintendo's software on an old platform like the GBA is kicking quite a lot of ass compared with the PSP software. Im just baffled by how well the GBA is doing really...

laserbeam

Banned
Theres potential for some huge months for GBA left too when they do the price cut sales they did in Canada etc to clear inventory

KINGMOKU

flipping_heck said:
Im still very impressed and surprised how Nintendo's software on an old platform like the GBA is kicking quite a lot of ass compared with the PSP software. Im just baffled by how well the GBA is doing really...
Not surprised. The thing is cheap as dog crap now, and is has a MASSIVE library. It's the same reason why the PS2 is so damn successfull still Massive library, and cheap.

CoG

Y2Kev said:

PS3's problem is that it's too good of a multimedia device. A lot of people are buying to play Blu-Ray or stream content from the PC and never buying games. Question is, can Sony generate decent revenue from solid Blu-Ray sales? Is the PS3 a dual format system (PS3 games + Blu-Ray)?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
flipping_heck said:
Yup, looks like the Pokemon games are still selling really well on the old GBA.

Does anyone have Overlord figures?

Kosma

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
****, Overlord :(

I'm glad I didn't buy it, maybe it'll be $30-40 in a month or two.

On one hand you're sad that it bombed as you think it deserved better but then again you didn't buy it yourself and are actually happy that you let it bomb because you will be able to buy it on the cheap now.

Walking contradiction I tell ya!

Y2Kev said:

well... the numbers look to be fairly lower than what 360 software was seeing with a comparable userbase.

tribal24

Banned
CoG said:
PS3's problem is that it's too good of a multimedia device. A lot of people are buying to play Blu-Ray or stream content from the PC and never buying games. Question is, can Sony generate decent revenue from solid Blu-Ray sales? Is the PS3 a dual format system (PS3 games + Blu-Ray)?

this seems to be the problem>.>

nategc

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
MICROSOFT 360 TENCHU Z 105,673

>

TECMO PS3 NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 63,637

heres a trick....

if tenchu z was on the ps3...how much would it sell?

if ninja gaiden sigma was on the 360...how much would it sell?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:

This isn't perfect, but I added up the top 5 sellers from the 3 platforms and divided by the number of units sold:
(Approximations)

Wii- 1.119M/383K=2.9

360- 715K/198K= 3.6

PS3-280K/98K= 2.86

I know it doesn't say that much, but I thought it was interesting.

schuelma said:
PS3 software sales are terrible.

One has to wonder in the interim, while PS3 was scratching its way to its first price drop, how much development moxie was shifted to the Wii. Unless PS3 stands up and shows third parties that they generate just as much income on a PS3 version of their game as they will on a 360, they're going to look at things a lot more stingily (word?). It will leave Sony flying on the power of their first party which, while not the worst thing in the world, because their first party work is tremendous, may always hamper their adoption by a more mainstream audience. The less effort that goes into PS3 versions, the more face PS3 loses in the eyes of the consumer. Because, realistically, half of a console's library (at least) is multiplatform, and at that price point, PS3 NEEDS that appeal. The Wii doesn't necessarily need it, as its been doing extremely well mostly on the power of their first party.

But will the PS3 be able to convince many people to drop $500 for first party games, as great as they are, when the third party stuff is either not there, or merely just as good as their 360 counterparts? This year, especially, are Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted on the kind of Gears Of War level that PS3 needs?

Only a few months until we know for sure.

NekoFever

I think IGN Boards should be the new PS3 Forums. A sample of the delights to be found in their PS3 board's NPD thread:

very impressive for SONY. Looking very, very good.
Amazing! Sony's going to be winning on all fronts for July, it seems.
Because the Wii and the DS Lite, as much as I love them, aren't current gen, living room consoles.

The Wii, while awesome, is simply not the same weight division. It's a pocket calculator by comparison.

And love the Wiimote, but that's all the Wii is. Basically, it's like a really successful Virtual Boy, on that level.
Is the PS3 ever going to stop kicking ass
I predict 100K+ numbers minimum from here on out.
HALO isn't going to be but a mere blip and utterly forgettable in two, three, four, five, six, seven... years.
Man these Xbots are really trying to get their last little licks in before the PS3 starts officially raping the 360 at a higher price point. How funny :)

MechDX

nategc said:
heres a trick....

if tenchu z was on the ps3...how much would it sell?

if ninja gaiden sigma was on the 360...how much would it sell?

NG:S on 360 would mean server meltdown.

le.phat

ugh, as sales data roars its ugly head, like a full moon, posters turn into howling fanboys amasse, neogaf comes to a screeching halt, and sales data assimilate the entire board for the reminder of tonight. guess its my cue to hit the sack :D

Top Bottom