• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

felipeko

LM4sure said:
I thought they opened another production center to get Wiis out quicker. I think Wiis are becoming more readily available. My friends or I have seen them a couple times in the past month.
Looking at the numbers it's a pretty small rise from what was in the beginning of the year... I'm sure they are stockpilling everything they can...

Gamesindustry.biz said:
NPD: Game Industry Sales Up 31% in June, Up 43% for First Half

Another month, same old story. The Nintendo DS creamed the competition selling through almost 562,000 units in the U.S. The PS3 was up somewhat, but still couldn't break the 100K mark in the U.S. in June. [Update: NPD's Anita Frazier tells us this will be the "biggest year ever for the video games industry"]

GameDaily BIZ has received the latest NPD video game sales data, which reveals total sales of $1.1 billion, a 31 percent increase year-over-year in the U.S. during June. Year-to-date, for the first half the game industry is already at an impressive $6.1 billion, tracking ahead of last year's sales by 43 percent.

Console hardware in particular has seen the most growth. Console hardware grew 69 percent in June to $268 million and it grew 98 percent to $1.7 billion for the first half. Portable game hardware was actually down 6 percent in June, but that didn't stop the Nintendo DS from absolutely running away with the top spot once again. Nintendo's handheld sold 561.9K units compared to the PSP's 230.1K. The top selling console was the Wii with 381.8K, followed by the 360 with 198.4K and the PS3 with 98.5K.

Video game software in general grew 22 percent in June, totaling $543 million. For the first half software sales were up 24 percent to $2.9 billion. Console software in June was up 28 percent to $393.9 million and portable software grew 10 percent to $149.1 million. For the first half, however, portable software actually fared better, growing 35 percent to $802.8 million compared to 21 percent growth for console software to $2.1 billion.

For June in particular, the best selling game was Nintendo's Mario Party 8 for Wii, which sold through 426.2K units in the U.S. We've provided the top 20 best selling games for June 2007 and the top 10 titles for the first half of this year below.

June07NPD.gif

FirstHalf07NPD.gif

[UPDATE] Following the release of the latest data, GameDaily BIZ caught up with NPD industry analyst Anita Frazier. Looking at the trends in the industry for June, Frazier admitted that she was "a little surprised" by the slight decline in portable hardware sales.

That said, "When you take into account lower retail prices, particularly on the PSP, then it makes more sense, and in fact, unit sales of portable hardware are down versus June 2005 only 4% [in terms of unit sales]," she added. "Since many in the industry have become accustomed now to robust increases month after month across all categories, this might worry some, but I don't read anything at all into it. The portable segment of the market has done great business this year, as has the rest of the industry."

When asked which part of the market is really driving sales, Frazier responded, "When you see such growth across the board, it's really hard to say what is driving the market - unless of course you go back to content! It continues to be the games that drive the industry, because content drives hardware acquisition, and great content is what keeps people coming back for more gaming entertainment. So the heart & soul of the industry remains the games, and the hardware is the vehicle that delivers the experience."

Ultimately, though, Frazier continues to be impressed by the continual growth this industry has seen, especially this year. "The biggest trend really is just the consistent month after month performance of the industry and I would expect us to see this continue for the remainder of 2007, resulting in the biggest year ever for the video games industry," she remarked.

KINGMOKU

sprocket said:
exactly what games released in may and june on the ps3 should be up there?
Does it matter? Game sales were horrible remember?

even though they creamed last years numbers

F#A#Oo

Banned
arne said:
it was said in another thread, if correct, that Nintendo doesn't even plan on shipping enough units to US/NA (40% of WW production targets) to close that gap by the end of the year. keep dreaming though if that's what pleases you.

You mean to tell me Nintendo never under-estimate their numbers?:lol

Nintendo have said that's what they aim to ship as a minimum for year ending March...so you can bet the farm they'll be producing more and making more money then they have forecast they are telling shareholders...they always do without fail.

Uncooked

Banned
From a different thread on the PS forums, but it made me giggle. Pretty much highlights the logical thinking over there.

"THIS AGRAVATES ME SO MUCH TO HERE FROM EVERYONE THAT SONY IS LOSING MONEY ON EVERY CONSOLE THEY SELL....COMMON SINCE PEOPLE....NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW MUCH IT COST TO MAKE A PS3 AND NO ONE CARES BUT SONY....BUT DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE A MULTI BILLIN DOLLAR COMPANY WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE A CONSOLE AND LOSE MONEY ON IT???? NO!!!!!! NOT EVEN THE DUMBEST PERSON I KNOW WOULD DO THIS...ITS JUST A RUMOR......UNLESS ANYONE HAS SOME ACTUAL PROOF????"

I'm glad sales are staying this way. It's obvious that people have not forgotten that gaming belongs to the realm of affordability, accessibility, and amusement. With the way that the PS2 keeps selling and with a poorly performing PS3 on the market, it's clear that PS2 owners uphold value before brand. Hopefully the third parties will be coming around to keep things the way they are.

Kaeru

Banned
Nintendo is the saviour of the videogame industry.
Hardcore gamers bow down.
You should love Nintendo for their success.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gamesindustry.biz said:
Another month, same old story.

Really, the most shocking thing about all this is how the perception's been changed throughout the industry. Last year, you would have people laugh at the prospect about a machine with a retarded name with last gen power dominating the charts. Yet now it's just simply expected. Funny how things turn around so quickly.

nategc

Banned
PLAYSTATION FORUMS said:
"Who cares about June NPD... PS3 is* number one at amazon, and that's what developers care about. Anyways, Wii isn't really next gen, so you can say that PS3 is the second best selling next gen console"

WOLLAN AND OOKIESPOOKIE SPINNING AT THERE FINEST

Jammy

Banned
HOLY SHIT!

I saw the software numbers, and I'm not giving anything out (they're easy to find), but it's really odd to see how poorly PS3 and especially PSP games are selling.

It's surprising Wii hasn't gotten even more big-name support announced for it seeing this. Judging by these sales charts, though, Guitar Hero III and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles should do very well on the system. There's really no reason why we can't see a Metal Gear Ac!d game or spin-off like it on Wii. I hope Dragon Quest X is a given, too.

fernoca

Seeing the Top 10 SKUs again I'm still wondering... :|
fernoca said:
What are the LTD number for Twilight Princess on Wii??

Because it is #10 in the Top 10 SKUs of 2007...yet, the last numbers I saw had it between 700k-800k this year, putting the game close to the 740k from Mario Party 8..or even above.

GhaleonEB

Subarushian said:
Absolutely true. But I think price drop(crucial)+Halo+GTA+Mass Effect+strong 2008 lineup will be enough to stave off the Wii in NA. We're all making predictions right? Well thats mine.

Though I'm not going to bet my account on it. :D
I can see a scenario where the 360 outsells the Wii over the holidays and the Wii catches up during the year and they average out. (MS did sell 1.5m in Nov-Dec alone last year.) If MS drops the price by $100 accross the board and sells a few million systems this holiday, that would be far in excess of what Nintendo has said they would have in supply for the Wii. (Aren't they upping monlthly output by something like 40%?)

But I think the more likely scenario is that sooner or later, Nintendo ramps up production of the Wii to DS-like levels and they pull ahead. If I had to guess, I'd say the Wii pulls ahead of the 360 sometime late next year in the US.

Oblivion

fernoca said:
Seeing the Top 10 SKUs again I'm still wondering... :|

Storm made a mention earlier in the thread. TP is over a million on the GC, it's at 2.5 million give or take 20k (both versions) in the U.S.

TwinsDad

TheGreatDave said:
It's so cute how Playstation fans keep telling themselves that the people buying PS2s now will eventually be PS3 owners.

Yes. The fans are a bit jaded. They seem to insist that winner be declared on anything.

Kaeru said:
Nintendo is the saviour of the videogame industry.
Hardcore gamers bow down.
You should love Nintendo for their success.

You had to be a hardcore gamer to play the majority of the more popular titles on the NES, those games were so goddamn difficult. Why do you think we have shows like The Angry Nintendo Gamer? Hardcore gamers grew up on Nintendo; they love the company.

RubxQub said:
Sad that PS3 doesn't register at all on the software side... :(
And that's precisely why it's going to become irrelevant to third party publishers by middle of the next year, IMO. You can't keep throwing money down a well unless you're Sony...'cause they have to.

Well, I'm glad that the industry is having it's best years, probably thanks to the 360, Wii, DS and the PSP.

If this is supposed to be the death of the industry, then so be it.

Threi

notag
"THIS AGRAVATES ME SO MUCH TO HERE FROM EVERYONE THAT SONY IS LOSING MONEY ON EVERY CONSOLE THEY SELL....COMMON SINCE PEOPLE....NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW MUCH IT COST TO MAKE A PS3 AND NO ONE CARES BUT SONY....BUT DO YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE A MULTI BALLIN DOLLAR COMPANY WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE A CONSOLE AND LOSE MONEY ON IT???? NO!!!!!! NOT EVEN THE DUMBEST PERSON I KNOW WOULD DO THIS...ITS JUST A RUMOR......UNLESS ANYONE HAS SOME ACTUAL PROOF????"

fixed.

look closely.

Oblivion

Branduil said:
If they don't release PS2 and GBA numbers it's going to screw up all the prediction threads.

Just take Matt's numbers as kosher. Problem solved. :)

GhaleonEB

Mr.City said:
Anyone here remember N'gai's prediction about what it'll happen if the PS3 sold under 100k for 3 months straight?
I do, but then Sony did just drop the price in the US, which kind of changes the scenario.

aztrex said:
You had to be a hardcore gamer to play the majority of the more popular titles on the NES, those games were so goddamn difficult. Why do you think we have shows like The Angry Nintendo Gamer? Hardcore gamers grew up on Nintendo; they love the company.

This is a big reality. Most of us grew up with Nintendo and even if they're CRAZY of their decision, it's Nintendo, and as long as there will be games like Mario or Zelda or Metroid, the fans will be present.

fernoca

Oblivion said:
Storm made a mention earlier in the thread. TP is over a million on the GC, it's at 2.5 million give or take 20k (both versions) in the U.S.
Yeah, that's the thing..
I remember someone posting Zelda Wii numbers like a month ago (based on NPD numbers) and it was at like 1.7 million ..meaning that it could be at 1.8 million by now, and the game was announced to be a million seller between January and February, meaning that it could be above Mario Party's 740k..or something ..

But nah, no big deal...just something I noticed in the chart, nothing to not sleep during the night... :lol

raYne

Mr.City said:
Anyone here remember N'gai's prediction about what it'll happen if the PS3 sold under 100k for 3 months straight?
Meh, not gonna happen.

..but if it does, whoa boy.. :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Mr.City said:

I know N'gai saidin EGM if in 2007 Ps3 couldnt sell 300k a month consistently it is a failure.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mr.City said:

It wasn't his prediction, it was what 3rd party execs told the guy Croal was conversing with

GhaleonEB said:
I do, but then Sony did just drop the price in the US, which kind of changes the scenario.

Yeah, Sony earned themselves a 1 month mulligan

GhaleonEB said:
I can see a scenario where the 360 outsells the Wii over the holidays and the Wii catches up during the year and they average out. (MS did sell 1.5m in Nov-Dec alone last year.) If MS drops the price by $100 accross the board and sells a few million systems this holiday, that would be far in excess of what Nintendo has said they would have in supply for the Wii. (Aren't they upping monlthly output by something like 40%?)

But I think the more likely scenario is that sooner or later, Nintendo ramps up production of the Wii to DS-like levels and they pull ahead. If I had to guess, I'd say the Wii pulls ahead of the 360 sometime late next year in the US.
Another likely scenario is Nintendo storing units for the holidays.They'll sell whatever they ship even with generous shipments so it makes sense to release a huge glut over the holidays, when their biggest games come out. They still make most of thier money on software, after all.

Mr.City

GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, but you don't think the way it was handled pretty much counteracted any momentum it would of generated since it's more of a clearance sale then a price drop.

FrankT

Mr.City said:

Sure do, although I think what he has predicted, or what he had heard I should say, has already played out to a certain extent. 3rd party publishers definitely have to be rubbing their heads over these numbers. Particularly, the 3rd party software sales.

MightyHedgehog said:
And that's precisely why it's going to become irrelevant to third party publishers by middle of the next year, IMO. You can't keep throwing money down a well unless you're Sony...'cause they have to.

I would think that developers will just streamline their game engines to make 360 to PS3 ports easier. Even if the software isn't flying off the shelves it's still another pool of gamers to dip into.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Raw64life said:
Super Paper Mario LTD is ~575k give or take 10k.

Which officially makes it a million plus seller worldwide.

Congratulations Mario!!

Top Bottom