• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

nategc

Banned
aztrex said:
You had to be a hardcore gamer to play the majority of the more popular titles on the NES, those games were so goddamn difficult. Why do you think we have shows like The Angry Nintendo Gamer? Hardcore gamers grew up on Nintendo; they love the company.

wow, nintendo made the hardcore and console casual market. They are the foundation of the gaming industry.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
not by much
I said "kind of" changes the scenario. I meant that literally. :lol

We'll see what July brings. Twice the current PS3 sales rate is what the 360 is doing now: just okay. I don't think that will unleash a biblical flood of game announcements one way or the other.

Kaeru

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is a big reality. Most of us grew up with Nintendo and even if they're CRAZY of their decision, it's Nintendo, and as long as there will be games like Mario or Zelda or Metroid, the fans will be present.

Today the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who spends 1000-10 000 dollars on a nice setup, collects baldspacemarine shooters and values graphics beyond anything else.
"Omg look at these textures, so damn awesome. What, you can play it too?"

Without Nintendo it would be 80's crash all over again. Look at the sales of the 360 and PS3, the market is obviously not responding very well to their vision.

Your respect, show them.

nategc said:
wow, nintendo made the hardcore and console casual market. They are the foundation of the gaming industry.

Honestly, don't turn this into a pissing match. You don't want to go down that road. Junior.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I can see a scenario where the 360 outsells the Wii over the holidays and the Wii catches up during the year and they average out. (MS did sell 1.5m in Nov-Dec alone last year.) If MS drops the price by $100 accross the board and sells a few million systems this holiday, that would be far in excess of what Nintendo has said they would have in supply for the Wii. (Aren't they upping monlthly output by something like 40%?)
Nintendo also stockpiles units for the holidays though, and likely haven't been shipping out full production this year... even in Nov/Dec, Wii's going to outperform 360 in America probably. YTD Wii's assurred to sell more, though LTD probably won't happen until mid next year at the earliest for the US.

sebthelobster said:
so wii million sellers so far

wii sport
wii play
super paper mario
mario party
zelda
red steel
raymon

catching on to 360 quick eh?
360 this time last year only had COD2 and maybe PD Zero for million sellers though iirc. :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sebthelobster said:

wii sport
wii play
super paper mario
mario party
zelda
red steel
raymon

And Wario

Norse

YYZ said:
Were you expecting any? Given that 360 has a much larger userbase you'd expect multiplatform games to make the list on 360 and not PS3. I'd be dissapointed if NG:Sigma didn't make the top 15 or top 20. Besides that, there's no big PS3 exclusive titles until Lair which we won't even see until September NPD and that's only for half of August.

Has there been any months since 360 launch that it failed to break top 20 in NA?

And the reason the GAF NPD threads are boring as hell now have nothing to do with Nintendo. The fact there are hardware numbers and top 10-20 total software sales is why. There aint crap to discuss like the old days.

Bebpo

Banned
aztrex said:
You had to be a hardcore gamer to play the majority of the more popular titles on the NES, those games were so goddamn difficult. Why do you think we have shows like The Angry Nintendo Gamer? Hardcore gamers grew up on Nintendo; they love the company.

Yet only the stubborn/fanboy ones remained loyal to Nintendo when the industry moved forward in 1995. Most people who grew up on tough as nails NES games moved on to Sony and then to MS systems because that's where the real challenging games were at.

Mr.City said:
Anyone here remember N'gai's prediction about what it'll happen if the PS3 sold under 100k for 3 months straight?

Again, it was Geoff Keighley who said he had heard this from third-party publishers. Croal thought that this was unlikely to happen.

MercuryLS

Banned
4qgu34o.png

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Bebpo said:
Yet only the stubborn/fanboy ones remained loyal to Nintendo when the industry moved forward in 1995. Most people who grew up on tough as nails NES games moved on to Sony and then to MS systems because that's where the real challenging games were at.

1184637207623.gif

nategc

Banned
july might have something in store for ps3 sales. But comes august...... sales gonna be downright laughable compare to the july sells.

oh yea, why did sony spinned next months npd....its not like they can do it next months for august npd numbers. they shouldn't release one at all. they just made them look silly.

Speevy

Banned
NES games were hard because they were designed with thousands of death traps and instant kills.

That isn't hardcore. These games were instantly accessible, just hard to win.

In other words, your Dad might not get the high score in a vertical shooter, but he knows how to play it.

Bebpo

Banned
Kaeru said:
Today the definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who spends 1000-10 000 dollars on a nice setup, collects baldspacemarine shooters and values graphics beyond anything else.

Without Nintendo it would be 80's crash all over again. Look at the sales of the 360 and PS3, the market is obviously not responding very well to their vision.

Your respect, show them.

lol.

Hardcore != money/graphics/4d. Hardcore equals skills, tough, enjoys gameplay with depth, aka not-mainstream-family-friendly games that your grandma can master.

Threi

notag
Bebpo said:

Actually PS1 was just cheaper to me.

I didn't give a shit about this "Brandname" crap.

I still don't.

Bebpo said:
ol.

Hardcore = money/graphics/4d. Hardcore equals skills, tough, enjoys gameplay with depth, aka not-mainstream-family-friendly games that your grandma can master.

Thanks for describing Halo.

And i am a Halo fan btw.

Norse said:
Has there been any months since 360 launch that it failed to break top 20 in NA?

I was going to mention that even when the 360's userbase was relatively small it still posted great software numbers. What's going on with the PS3 right now is hard to explain away.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sebthelobster said:

wii sport
wii play
super paper mario
mario party
zelda
red steel
raymon

Without Europe MP8 is not yet a million seller (although when it launches in Japan next week it'll break a million with Japan+US), and WarioWare is a million seller.

Kaeru said:

Your respect, show them.

newstwotowers.jpg

Need a mario head and a wii mote :( ( I suck at photoshop)

Saint Gregory said:
I was going to mention that even when the 360's userbase was relatively small it still posted great software numbers. What's going on with the PS3 right now is hard to explain away.
It is a bluray player for movies?

Jokeropia

Great Nintendo numbers, both hardware and software. Ouch at PS3 not managing to reach 100k despite the extra week and getting smacked by the GBA.

Anyway:

9724junechart.png

Saint Gregory said:

i'm just curious what happened to all the people who tried downplaying those softwares sales by saying it couldnt even compete with the PS2.

seem eeriely absent these days..

Norse

Saint Gregory said:

yep, thats the point i was trying to make to spindoctor YYZ.

Brak

F#A#Oo said:
The maths says to me Nintendo shipment can only increase and MS's keeps tumbling like Jack and Jill down the hill!
Nintendo would likely have to ship 5-6 million for them to pass Microsoft and that just ain't gonna happen.

Kaeru

Banned
Bebpo said:
lol.

Hardcore != money/graphics/4d. Hardcore equals skills, tough, enjoys gameplay with depth, aka not-mainstream-family-friendly games that your grandma can master.

old%20grandma%20hardcore.jpg

This grandma begs to differ!

laserbeam

Banned
Subarushian said:
Wasn't aware that it was in need of saving.

Remove DS and Wii sales and youd see the industry was crashing down honestly. Every month is the same thing Industry growth spurred by DS and Wii sales as headlines

nategc

Banned
actually... without nintendo, sony wouldn't have to drop there price.... i mean, there not really far behind microsoft in monthly sells so i guess nintendo played a much desired part in sony efforst to appeal more.....

ps, i actually think gaming would be dead with just sony and microsoft. i mean, look at those cluster **** sells for 360 and ps3.

Sharp

Oh, okay. So the unexplained rise for the PSP was not, in fact, a rise. Oh well.

Pretty good numbers for Nintendo systems nonetheless. I really should get around to trying out RE4.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Agent Icebeezy said:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...onday-morning-quarterback-for-april-2007.aspx

And we both know the sales need to pick up, pronto--especially if Sony wants to keep third party interest. Already third party executives are telling me that if PS3 sales stay below 100k for 3 consecutive months, PS3 SKUs may start disappearing from release lists and in turn create a wealth of de-facto exclusives for the Xbox 360.
Looks at April, May and June PS3 HW numbers. Uh oh.

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Drop the price of the X360 100 dollars MS. Save us from a waggle future.

They will, but that won't kill the Wii.

Be stopped not by a single console, it cannot.

PS360 required.

My biggest wows came from seeing the software sales for the GBA Pokemons and the DS browser. No matter which part of the figures you look at, you can't escape the domination by Nintendo.

PSP software sales are simply dire, the platform is almost dead as a software selling device at this point, despite very respectable hardware sales.

Sharp said:
Oh, okay. So the unexplained rise for the PSP was not, in fact, a rise. Oh well.

Pretty good numbers for Nintendo systems nonetheless. I really should get around to trying out RE4.

I would buy itimmediately, but I already have the GC version. So, it's my rule to not have the same game twice. It just doesn't make much sense.

nategc

Banned
Mrbob said:
Drop the price of the X360 100 dollars MS. Save us from a waggle future.

if you think ms and sony won't include waggle into ps4 and xbox 720.... i have some very bad news for you.

Top Bottom