• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

Rhindle

TheGreatDave said:
Doesn't really change the fact that if Sony and Microsoft had been left to play by themselves the industry would be in a dire position.
I think most publishers would be very very happy if Nintendo would just suddenly cease to exist. Nintendo is the greatest threat to their well-being at the moment.

I wouldn't say RE4 sales are much of a positive if you consider it was a budget title. In terms of $$$, it barely cracked the Top 20 for the month.

Rhindle said:
I think most publishers would be very very happy if Nintendo would just suddenly disappear. Nintendo is the greatest threat to their well-being at the moment.

I wouldn't say RE4 sales are much of a positive if you consider it was a budget titke. In terms of $$$, it barely cracked the Top 20 for the month.

:lol so this is the next stepof the npd evolution

wii will bomb -> wii is a fad -> software sales are weak on wii, soccer moms dont play games -> 3rd party games dont sell -> nintendo is a great threat to all of the publishers...

oo Kosma oo said:
On one hand you're sad that it bombed as you think it deserved better but then again you didn't buy it yourself and are actually happy that you let it bomb because you will be able to buy it on the cheap now.

Walking contradiction I tell ya!

I had shit to do, it's not my job to keep games afloat.

Brak

Subarushian said:
We may be getting off topic, so I'll keep it to this reply. But IMO the strength of the industry is based on the quality of the games being produced by developers, not monthly sales of systems. Sales of hardware is nice, but games are still the crucial element. There are tons of great games coming out on other platforms than the Wii.
I look at the games on the Wii and (totally IMO) I see them as a step back in advancing the art, particularly the Wii titles at the top of the charts.

Though I guess its from looking at the industry from the perspective of a gamer, not a stock broker.
That's not really any different than licensed titles, sports games, or the myriad other shitty games that have dominated the sales charts for the past 20 years.

cvxfreak

Rhindle said:
I think most publishers would be very very happy if Nintendo would just suddenly cease to exist. Nintendo is the greatest threat to their well-being at the moment.

I wouldn't say RE4 sales are much of a positive if you consider it was a budget title. In terms of $$$, it barely cracked the Top 20 for the month.

The only one it really benefits is Capcom.

Even original REs on previous systems, games like RE Zero and Outbreak File 2, didn't perform as well as RE4 WE purely on the numbers in the same time period.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rhindle said:

Elaborate, pls.

This would be a good argument if it weren't for the fact that several games get released at lower prices and don't sell nearly as well as RE4.

justjohn

name me one mass appeal game that has been released on the psp in months. i cant think of any. the only game i see doing well on the psp this fall is god of war. even though it has some other great games i cant see them doing that well

tribal24 said:
do they have to support it when its selling like this is the next question and it boggles my mind

The BIG part of profits come from softwares. Not hardware. When you have a relative big installed base, it is a waste to not make big games on it. Sony is too much concentrated on PS3 (I would say almost paranoic).

Xisiqomelir

LTTP here, I was fixing up the camper.

1) bububu the softcore Wii owners don't spend like REEL GAMERZ :lol

2) holy crap @PSP

3) Elite supply has stabilized I guess

4) I wish I'd done predictions this month

5) Asked in the prediction thread but there was a lock: How does Matt C get to break embargo?

Oblivion

justjohn said:
name me one mass appeal game that has been released on the psp in months. i cant think of any. the only game i see doing well on the psp this fall is god of war. even though it has some other great games i cant see them doing that well

Even when GTA: VCS was released, it didn't do much.

laserbeam

Banned
Rhindle said:

RE4 sales are great when you consider they spent very little to port the GC game. They made roughly 449,580 dollars a day for its initial 10 days that are tracked. Pure profit for them guaranteed.

Nintendo is their best friend they just need to get the ball rolling. Nintendo Offers them Cheaper Development cycles on games so even if they only sell 500K a title they are pure profit and not worrying will they make a buck

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh PS3... especially for a longer NPD month as they say... and the GBA outdid it once again from what I hear? Heh...

360 doing just fine, not too spectacular, but again, MS seem to be fine with it as long as they outdo Sony, 2:1 right now...

Also not even one single PS3 in the top 20? Come on now...

Wii continuing to go strong in the US - I wonder how it is in Europe though, as for the past couple of weeks, it's finally been able to be seen on shelves and surprisingly the same piles can be seen daily...

DS is an awesome piece of hardware that deserves the monster sales it gets - good stuff...

Threi

notag
Rhindle said:

SPIN IT SON, SPIN IT!
68hkzud.gif

Rhindle said:

I'm sure that a AAA third party game on the Wii would sell excellently, perhaps as well as it would on the 360 and from current data, definitely better than on the PS3. The only major*, if you can call it that, third party release slated to be Wiibound is GH3. Until publishers take larger steps, like put the next GTA or a Dragon Quest or a main series FF on the Wii, I don't think we can conclude that Nintendo is a threat to third parties.

*by major I mean established and proven selling power

RE4's sales are fine. It cost almost no money for Capcom to make. I'm sure it's almost pure cash for them.

Raw64life

Don't know if this was pointed out already but using NPD and Media Create, Wii JP+NA hardware sales have passed 360 JP+NA hardware sales.

Wii Hardware:

NA - 3,190,000
JP - 3,060,000

Total: 6,250,000

360 Hardware:

NA - 5,750,000
JP - 390,000

Total: 6,140,000

rs7k

I saw the software sales for each platform. Pretty damning stuff for the PS3, but especially the PSP.

I expected 360 software sales to be a little higher.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that PS3 ports sell 1/3 to a quarter of what the 360 version will bring in. Seems like the tie-in ratios are pretty similar.

Norse

TheGreatDave said:
360 and PS3 are both selling at a pretty poor rate on a worldwide basis. Wii is the only home console that's finding it's way to mass appeal at the minute.

360 hasnt been "poor" cept when compared to wii.....ps3 is another story so far........and by mass appeal, do you mean all the nintendo fans out there buying nintendo games? How is that mass appeal? I took a rehash 29 dollar 3rd party title to finally break the top 10for a 3rd party game on wii....mass appeal of the wii is BS. Its a nintendo game playing machine, nothing more.

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
As always, depends largely on the 3rd party... companies like Bethesda, EA or Namco might not care and continue on full steam ahead, but I don't think, say, SEGA, Atlus or Square Enix would prefer a no-Nintendo industry...

Frankly, I'd say most publishers would probably go for eradicating PlayStation first if one of the three had to go at this point...

Norse said:
360 hasnt been "poor" cept when compared to wii.....ps3 is another story so far........and by mass appeal, do you mean all the nintendo fans out there buying nintendo games? How is that mass appeal? I took a rehash 29 dollar 3rd party title to finally break the top 10for a 3rd party game on wii....mass appeal of the wii is BS. Its a nintendo game playing machine, nothing more.

Yeah, nearly 8 million Nintendo fans have gone out and bought a Wii since November, and no one else.

T Ghost

RBH said:
They had 217k in May.

I don't see what's so bad about those numbers at all.

Edit: I forget about Sigma's release date, but it still counts for the final 5 days of the June NPD.

At US$60 a pop, 414,000 units sold means Forza 2 has grossed US$24,840,000 in the US alone. US$10 for the disc, box and prints, US$10 for retailer's cut, you got US$16,560,000 on the Microsoft Games bank account in 6 weeks after release.

Add worldwide sales on that and understand why people at turn 10 should be laughing all the way to the bank by now.

If that's not a success, I don't know what is.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
With IGN numbers being correct as well we now know GBA WINS!

Also, king zell's ban is kinda unfair now.

Raw64life said:
Don't know if this was pointed out already but using NPD and Media Create, Wii JP+NA hardware sales have passed 360 JP+NA hardware sales.

Wii Hardware:

NA - 3,190,000
JP - 3,060,000

Total: 6,250,000

360 Hardware:

NA - 5,750,000
JP - 390,000

Total: 6,140,000

Wow. So now it's only Europe that makes the difference.

Joe Molotov

Rhindle said:

It's only a threat to the well-being of of publishers that put all their eggs in the PS3 basket. And Yamauchi will laugh at their bankruptcy hearings.

Jiggy

When I get a PSP, I'll only get one or two reasonably current games (that is to say, games that would actually register in current sales figures) along with it, so I'm not sure I see the problem. Then again, I didn't see those leaked software numbers, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

Anyway, great sales for DS, Wii, and PSP, which makes me happy since those are my three favorite systems of this gen. On the software side, if Pokemon D/P was counted as one game like it probably should be, it's the best seller of the month--which also makes me happy since it means more future players to crush and destroy online (at least when the inevitable third version comes out and the big selling point is random matchmaking). Cool.

Rhindle said:

Well they can...you know, develop for WII..........they just need to put their graphic whoreness aside.....i dont think it would be that difficult......

KINGMOKU

cvxfreak said:
The only one it really benefits is Capcom.

Even original REs on previous systems, games like RE Zero and Outbreak File 2, didn't perform as well as RE4 WE purely on the numbers in the same time period.
This is what is making me sigh.

It's as if some people have to make it look bad somehow, when it's a huge positive for Resident Evil 4port, to have performed this well.

The sales of Resident Evil4, for June, in its 10days on the charts, is excellent.

Anyone who says otherwise;

headnbutt.jpg

Rhindle

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm sure that a AAA third party game on the Wii would sell excellently, perhaps as well as it would on the 360 and from current data, definitely better than on the PS3. The only major*, if you can call it that, third party release slated to be Wiibound is GH3. Until publishers take larger steps, like put the next GTA or a Dragon Quest or a main series FF on the Wii, I don't think we can conclude that Nintendo is a threat to third parties.

*by major I mean established and proven selling power

RE4's sales are fine. It cost almost no money for Capcom to make. I'm sure it's almost pure cash for them.
The point is that we don't have much evidence either way. Wii could break the mold in terms of thrid party sales on a Nintendo platform, or it may not. If you're an EA or Take Two, you would rather not deal with that risk.

Moreover, I was responding to the statement that the industry would be in bad shape based on Microsoft and Sony, and that's simply not the case. Publishers are continuing to do VERY well, especially on the 360.

Oblivion

Norse said:
360 hasnt been "poor" cept when compared to wii.....ps3 is another story so far........and by mass appeal, do you mean all the nintendo fans out there buying nintendo games?

Shit. I wonder where this special reserve of ~5 million Nintendo fans were when Gamecube launched.

Norse

TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, nearly 8 million Nintendo fans have gone out and bought a Wii since November, and no one else.

looking at software sales on the wii I would say you are right....but you cming out and saying the gaming industry as a whole would be hating life right now had the wii not come along is asinine.

Norse said:

On a worldwide basis, 360 has surely been poor. In America, it's poor compared to PS2 as well as Wii.

Sonic was #11 the month it came out. Tiger Woods was #14 the month it came out.

Every month comments like these get more wrong.

Norse said:

:lol this is shaping up to be a good thread

Rhindle said:
The point is that we don't have much evidence either way. Wii could break the mold in terms of thrid party sales on a Nintendo platform, or it may not. If you're an EA or Take Two, you would rather not deal with that risk.

While Wii is selling nearly a million a month I'd say it's defiantly worth the "risk".

Oblivion

Rhindle said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but if you're going to compare sales of a AAA multimillion dollar game like Oblivion or Gears of War to something like, I dunno, Boogie and find out that the latter didn't sell as well. Well, you know.

Top Bottom