• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

Subarushian said:
Wasn't aware that it was in need of saving.
Aren't you paying attention to the low console sales every month from the "HD" systems? Without the Wii, the industry would be right in the middle of the "HD gaming crash".

Norse said:
looking at software sales on the wii I would say you are right....but you cming out and saying the gaming industry as a whole would be hating life right now had the wii not come along is asinine.

I don't know if it would be...hating life (...) or not, but the fact is 360 and PS3 are both failing in Japan, PS3 is failing in the US and the 360 is pretty much failing in Europe. That's not the kind of scenario that should be happening with nearly launched consoles.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
cardancenin.gif

KINGMOKU

Rhindle said:
The point is that we don't have much evidence either way. Wii could break the mold in terms of thrid party sales on a Nintendo platform, or it may not. If you're an EA or Take Two, you would rather not deal with that risk.

Moreover, I was responding to the statement that the industry would be in bad shape based on Microsoft and Sony, and that's simply not the case. Publishers are continuing to do VERY well, especially on the 360.
So third-party sales were poor in the NES, SNES days? I must have missed the memo. Some mold.

Third-party sales hit rock bottom on the Gamecube.

Once again, revisionist history, and lies.

Now, if your talking about third-party relations with Nintendo, that would be a different story.

Joe Molotov said:
It's only a threat to the well-being of of publishers that put all their eggs in the PS3 basket. And Yamauchi will laugh at their bankruptcy hearings.

No, PS3 is a threat to the well-being of publishers that put all their eggs in the PS3 basket.

Jiggy37 said:
When I get a PSP, I'll only get one or two reasonably current games (that is to say, games that would actually register in current sales figures) along with it, so I'm not sure I see the problem. Then again, I didn't see those leaked software numbers, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

You don't know.

Rhindle said:
The point is that we don't have much evidence either way. Wii could break the mold in terms of thrid party sales on a Nintendo platform, or it may not. If you're an EA or Take Two, you would rather not deal with that risk.

Moreover, I was responding to the statement that the industry would be in bad shape based on Microsoft and Sony, and that's simply not the case. Publishers are continuing to do VERY well, especially on the 360.

erm

First off, good games sell on consoles. Period. There's no magical aura that surrounds consoles with "Nintendo" badging that prevents games from certain publishers from selling. What prevented games from selling on N64/Cube were 1. limited demographic and 2. poor efforts by third parties. Wii is obviously expanding Nintendo's demographic at this point, and there are already a handful of solid performing third party games (even with none of them being hugely invested). These include:

Sonic
Madden
Red Steel
Rayman
Tiger Woods
Call of Duty 3
Resident Evil 4
Super Monkey Ball
Trauma Center

That's 6 different happy publishers. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Sega, Capcom, Atlus. Not a bad roundup.

The only exclusive third party bomb on Wii is Elebits.

The fact is that GOOD GAMES TEND TO SELL. Even GameCube had its hits when it was selling only to cheapo gamers and Nintendophiles. Wii is expanding far beyond GameCube's scope in userbase, and there is no significant bomb in Wii's lineup to merit this constant "gee will people buy a good game" bullshit.

The average person doesn't know what a 'publisher' is. They buy what looks interesting and is well-marketed. Wii is bound to receive more of these games than Cube or N64 did from third parties, and they will sell.

As far as 360/PS3. 360 is only making money for publishers in the US, and sometimes in Europe. PS3 isn't making much money for third parties ANYWHERE. In a market where the minimum cost of entry is a $400 console that's bombing in one territory and doing just ok in another, PUBLISHERS ARE ****ED. The market would see a massive contraction.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The series of expressions on Miyamoto's face is amazing. it fits so perfectly. :lol :lol :lol

Sharp

AdmiralViscen said:
Actually, I recall Elebits doing pretty well for a near-launch game. It only sorta bombed in Japan. I could be wrong on that, though.

Rhindle said:

Well, why does that mean that third parties would want Nintendo to disappear?

Either way, I don't see why putting a title on the Wii would be risky. Rayman and Red Steel have probably breached the million mark by now. DQS will probably join their ranks in Japanese sales alone. The DS is proving that there is plenty of room for third parties to excel in sales on a Nintendo system with lots of Nintendo releases. Sales of third parties on previous consoles have not been bad either. The last big third party release was RE4 on the GCN and despite having a userbase dwarved dramatically by the PS2, the game still sold nearly as well even after the announcement of the PS2 port crippled sales.

If I were a big third party, I'd jump on the chance to bring a well advertised, high budget game to a Nintendo console. It's clear that the market potential is there and that it has always been untapped and unexplored.

PkunkFury

AdmiralViscen said:
You don't know.

Is this really a bomb? It wasn't marketed and it was made in like a year by a small team. Konami can't have expected much. The team also went on to make a second Wii game... From what I recall, the sales are low, but for a niche game they are respectable.

Maybe I'm wrong though, which would suck because I love Elebits

The average person doesn't know what a 'publisher' is. They buy what looks interesting and is well-marketed. Wii is bound to receive more of these games than Cube or N64 did from third parties, and they will sell.

and this is the point no one on GAF seems to understand. People don't know or care who published their games. They know what they learn from marketing, and 3rd parties have rarely marketed anything for a Nintendo platform in the last 10 years. The 3rd party on nintendo issue stems from the fact that 3rd parties are exceedingly bad at marketing, and Nintendo is exceedingly good at marketing

Rhindle said:

They've both gone ahead and taken the risk. TTWO has a pile of Wii titles announced: Fantastic Four, The Bigs, Manhunt 2, Carnival games, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, Bully, and Rockstar Table Tennis. Since several of those involve porting important engines that they use, I would assume we will see lots more in the months to come.

PkunkFury said:
Is this really a bomb? It wasn't marketed and it was made in like a year by a small team. Konami can't have expected much. The team also went on to make a second Wii game... From what I recall, the sales are low, but for a niche game they are respectable.

I dunno if it's really a bomb or not. Feel free to prove me wrong, it's not like Elebits is a prime example for Wii haters to hang on to.

Also, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam didn't do so hot AFAIK.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PkunkFury said:

and this is the point no one on GAF seems to understand. People don't know or care who published their games. They know what they learn from marketing, and 3rd parties have rarely marketed anything for a Nintendo platform in the last 10 years. The 3rd party on nintendo issue stems from the fact that 3rd parties are exceedingly bad at marketing, and Nintendo is exceedingly good at marketing

Agreed, I don't think its a bomb- I believe someone said it did 100K U.S, and its at like 55K in Japan. Not a success, but I don't think they spent too much money on it...

Norse said:
looking at software sales on the wii I would say you are right....but you cming out and saying the gaming industry as a whole would be hating life right now had the wii not come along is asinine.

I'm pretty sure a significant amount of casuals are buying MP8. MP8 and the Wii are selling at a much faster rate than previous Mario Parties and the GCN. Is there a particular reason why you feel Nintendo fans are more rabid this time around?

RE4's sales on the Wii are surprising in a good way. It's definitive proof that third parties can and will sell on the console. A game selling in the top 10 after its fourth iteration is nothing short of amazing.

Sharp

AdmiralViscen said:
I dunno if it's really a bomb or not. Feel free to prove me wrong, it's not like Elebits is a prime example for Wii haters to hang on to.

Also, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam didn't do so hot AFAIK.
Yeah, that was a bomb. On the DS too, which was apparently a shame because it was supposed to be really good.

And I think I remember some numbers for Elebits but I don't think I can say them. Well over 100k though.

fernoca

speculawyer said:
They've both gone ahead and taken the risk. TTWO has a pile of Wii titles announced: Fantastic Four, The Bigs, Manhunt 2, Carnival games, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, Bully, and Rockstar Table Tennis. Since several of those involve porting important engines that they use, I would assume we will see lots more in the months to come.
Exactly.
In the case of Take Two, the yhave already revealed/announced more games for the Wii than what they offered for the N64 and GCN...which is quite telling.

Sharp said:
Yeah, that was a bomb. On the DS too, which was apparently a shame because it was supposed to be really good.

And I think I remember some numbers for Elebits but I don't think I can say them. Well over 100k though.

Wow, over 100k? I did not know that. Last I remember was it opening at 10k or something in Japan, and not charting in the US.

Good for it, I bought it.

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
And on the flipside, focused small scale publishers like Atlus or MMV may not see much potential in the "risk" of high end HD console or PS2 level handheld R&D. That may work out fine for the fat cats, but there's a wealth of publishers who seem to prefer the design ideologies of Nintendo hardware...

Sharp

AdmiralViscen said:
Wow, over 100k? I did not know that. Last I remember was it opening at 10k or something in Japan, and not charting in the US.

Good for it, I bought it.
It was around 60-70k in Japan last time we got lots of numbers, I believe.

And software-wise PSP has a lot more to worry about than nothing in the top twenty.

Rhindle said:

This is funny, because EA and T2 have more titles on Wii than most any third party.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So how many more millions need to be sold before third-parties take the Wii seriously? This industry-wide myopia is getting ridiculous. The demographic argument simply doesn't hold water any longer.

schuelma

AdmiralViscen said:
This is funny, because EA and T2 have more titles on Wii than most any third party.

Yeah, odd examples; EA is clearly fully on board and T2/Rockstar have anounced two titles in the last week with 1 more apparently on the way.

zsidane

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The question is "why isn't Sony supporting enough his handheld" ?
Maybe simply they can't and have never been prepared to support 2 consoles aiming 2 different markets at the same time. Nintrendo is doing this for more than 15 years and has a great 1st party support, while Sony has just finished restructurating and building their Sony Worldwide studios.
Add to that that it's their first experience in the hand held market, and they pretty f'up with their "PS2 in your hands" strategy.

Tiktaalik

Rhindle said:
I think most publishers would be very very happy if Nintendo would just suddenly cease to exist. Nintendo is the greatest threat to their well-being at the moment.

More like, greatest threat to the well-being of publishers' shoddy, 3rd rate, half hearted efforts. We'll see high quality titles do well on the Wii, just like on any system.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Don't the publishers of kiddy titles like having Nintendo around?

Yeah, so do the publishers of zombie bloodfests :D

Pachael

Who cares about June NPD... PS3 is* number one at amazon, and that's what developers care about.

Anyways, Wii isn't really next gen, so you can say that PS3 is the second best selling next gen console... and if you ignore 360, you can say that PS3 is the best selling next gen console, which is really impressive.

Well, that's a relief. PS3 will win next-gen! If we disregard the Wii and 360.

Top Bottom