• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Krilekk

Banned
I'm certain this is the reason. If there was a 100% guarantee all data was identical across all clients, no leakers would ever post ranges.

You could just add a random amount to the numbers you get. Truth is they give out the real numbers to everyone because nobody pays thousands of dollar each year to get "almost the right numbers". That's BS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
TLoU sales make me happy, but also kinda disappointed, as it deserves 1:1 sales. It's also worth buying a PS3 for, everyone needs to experiment this ride.

To be fair , there were thousands of pages of arguing over whether smartphones were competition only 2 years ago so its kind of funny to see people backtrack so quickly. Hell Iwata said it in like every inestor brief and even did studies that said smartphones would have no effect And no vita is barely competition for 3ds

I hope the Vita is saved. I love the hardware too much. If it dies, handheld gaming dies with it for me.

The Vita has 0 chance of recovering in the west. Sit back and enjoy the niche japanese games and indie games and ps4 remote play because thats all thats happening after this year. Once Killzone and Tearaway come out that'll probably be it for exclusive vita content from sonys western studios. Also your wording implies this month's god awful sales are decent..

A price drop will come at gamescom though so they wont let it rot

I-hate-u

The Vita has 0 chance of recovering in the west. Sit back and enjoy the niche japanese games and indie games and ps4 remote play because thats all thats happening after this year. Once Killzone and Tearaway come out that'll probably be it for exclusive vita content from sonys western studios. Also your wording implies this month's god awful sales are decent..

I wouldn't say that. With a price cut, strong marketing push and the proper games, the Vita can make a comeback.

To be fair , there were thousands of pages of arguing over whether smartphones were competition only 2 years ago so its kind of funny to see people backtrack so quickly. Hell Iwata said it in like every inestor brief and even did studies that said smartphones would have no effect And no vita is barely competition for 3ds

lol ludicrous.

wario ~ 12k
mc > 350k
Ellen Page ~ 985K (2 editions)

gif_clint_yes350.gif

Jubern

If Project X Zone really did 50k, I think that's pretty good. Considering the kind of game it is, the little-to-no promotion it got and the mixed reception/bomba in Japan, it's definitely a decent score.

I wouldn't say that. With a price cut, strong marketing push and the proper games, the Vita can make a comeback.

A comeback to what? Selling an abysmal 40k a month? An awful 60k? Nintendo is the only reason 3ds stands a chance and unless The Last of Us 2 is Vita exclusive its not happening. Sony doesnt care about the system anymore. Its found its niche in japan, but vita will never manage a consistent 30k a month in the US. And let's not pretend like there is a chance sony has huge western megatons because they would have been announced by noq.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
24% digital for AC? Woah. eShopNintendigital is getting big...
In my Micromania retail store in France, eshop cards take a third of the 3DS shelf space, over one meter square foot. It's the first time I saw this for a console.

Wiktor

It wiped out over half the market. It didn't kill the market, but its been decimated.

Maybe, but it seems to have done more damage to Sony side than Nintendo's. Doesn't matter, what matters is that 3DS is doing good. Even if it won't reach the heights of DS it seems GBA-level of success is possible to be replicated

Maybe, but it seems to have done more damage to Sony side than Nintendo's. Doesn't matter, what matters is that 3DS is doing good. Even if it won't reach the heights of DS it seems GBA-level of success is possible to be replicated

Seems to have done equal damage but since sony's market was much smaller they have been reduced to near nothing. I agree with your overall point though

the market can't be halved and decimated.

True, i guess severely lessened?

Games are profitable on the Vita, its just the hardware doesn't sell as well. A full fledged COD, Uncharted , GOW, Fifa, Gran Turismo, MGS, Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter and GTA can help a ot in hardware sales. Sony gotta sign deals and get spinoffs from these franchises on the Vita.

Multiple people are saying that Gamescom is a Vita show and I hope Sony can deliever.

Yeah if sony gets every AAA franchise in gaming vita will be fine. Too bad the chances of this are about 0%. Sony would have to pay the entire development for these games losing them hundreds of millions. Its not happening. But we've been playing the same game waiting from conference for big games since the thing was revealed. At some point the facts just become they arent coming

I-hate-u

A comeback to what? Selling an abysmal 40k a month? An awful 60k? Nintendo is the only reason 3ds stands a chance and unless The Last of Us 2 is Vita exclusive its not happening. Sony doesnt care about the system anymore

Games are profitable on the Vita, its just the hardware doesn't sell as well. A full fledged COD, Uncharted , GOW, Fifa, Gran Turismo, MGS, Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter and GTA can help a ot in hardware sales. Sony gotta sign deals and get spinoffs from these franchises on the Vita.

Multiple people are saying that Gamescom is a Vita show and I hope Sony can deliver.

It wiped out over half the market. It didn't kill the market, but its been decimated. I am glad there is some market left. Japanese games are awesome

That's assuming that smartphones/tablets are the sole reason for the decline in the handheld market. I would argue that shitty marketing, overpriced HW (and SW) and just a complete lack of quality software has had just as big of an impact.

I stand by my opinion in those former threads. Smartphones are a big competitor to handheld gaming there is no question about that but Sony and Nintendo have been their own worst enemies.

Bikram

Wow having niche Japanese games are bad now? Vita makes Sony money, sure it can make a lot more but I am sure it's not making Sony bleed like PS3 did.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
the market can't be halved and decimated.

One after another?

I'm really happy to see the 3DS performing well. Nintendo actually has a good chance to keep that market alive next to mobile phones, because actually, I think this generation is the one that decides its fate. Touch mobile phone penetration is still on the rise and many people are valueing the touch mobile high at the moment, so I'd guess (and hope) that this actually is the most difficult generation to keep the handheld market afloat in. I also think it's a good thing that Nintendo is attracting quite a lot of (the better) mobile phone games onto their eShop marketplace, offering a potential upgrade on controls.

EDIT: Seeing those sales of TLOU, I think Sony should make Bend port the game to Vita (possibly with some additional short story for some sidecharacters, if there are any) - with some visual downgrades of course. It may not be the perfect mobile game, but a franchise starting this big could help the handheld to get some attention

That's assuming that smartphones/tablets are the sole reason for the decline in the handheld market. I would argue that shitty marketing, overpriced HW (and SW) and just a complete lack of quality software has had just as big of an impact.

I stand by my opinion in those former threads. Smartphones are a big competitor to handheld gaming there is no question about that but Sony and Nintendo have been their own worst enemies.

This has always been my position. The GBA/DS were much cheaper than a 3DS at launch and the Vita's pricey memory cards certainly didn't help it either. The handheld market was unusually big the last generation but I feel almost certain a market the size of the Game Boy days still exists.

Globox_82

Banned
One after another?

I'm really happy to see the 3DS performing well. Nintendo actually has a good chance to keep that market alive next to mobile phones, because actually, I think this generation is the one that decides its fate. Touch mobile phone penetration is still on the rise and many people are valueing the touch mobile high at the moment, so I'd guess (and hope) that this actually is the most difficult generation to keep the handheld market afloat in. I also think it's a good thing that Nintendo is attracting quite a lot of (the better) mobile phone games onto their eShop marketplace, offering a potential upgrade on controls.

EDIT: Seeing those sales of TLOU, I think Sony should make Bend port the game to Vita (possibly with some additional short story for some sidecharacters, if there are any) - with some visual downgrades of course. It may not be the perfect mobile game, but a franchise starting this big could help the handheld to get some attention

TLOU is my game of the generation. If TLOU2 was released on VITA I wouldnt give a shit. It's not a game for VITA, it's a big console game. Stop asking for bad console ports on a handheld

Sadist

3DS increase is nice. Good numbers for AC. Pretty good LTD for Luigi´s Mansion as well.

If Project X Zone really did 50k, I think that's pretty good. Considering the kind of game it is, the little-to-no promotion it got and the mixed reception/bomba in Japan, it's definitely a decent score.
This would be neat.

Considering that 225k is barely any impact on releasing a premier Nintendo game, I would say the guys arguing for smartphones already won and Iwata was wrong. In isolation 225k might be a nice figure, but in context of its predecessor and a weaker PSP selling more than that in a regular month before the boom of smartphones and tablets, it's not a great achievement. Definitely not one where people should be partying about the death of smartphone gaming.

Yoshi

TLOU is my game of the generation. If TLOU2 was released on VITA I wouldnt give a shit. It's not a game for VITA, it's a big console game. Stop asking for bad console ports on a handheld

Uncharted GA is one of the, if not the most successful Vita game and it isn't that much of a traditional handheld game either. I also didn't want to imply that a port with some additional playable content would make the Vita super successful, but it could help reaching the initial target audience, which was quite clear by the focus on Uncharted first and then Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation later. New games would of course be better, but a port of TLOU could help the longevity of the game, because -despite the big line up for this year - PS3 is on its way out, as well as help the Vita garner some more of the "niche" of players who want to play story-intense games on the go.

I'm also not asking on my behalf, I hate Uncharted and wouldn't buy TLOU without playtesting it for quite a while beforehand.

AniHawk

project x zone doing 50k would mean that the 3ds is probably the system for jrpgs for the foreseeable future.

tales of the abyss probably didn't hit what namco wanted, although it did get reorders after its initial print run, which is always a good sign. its ltd is sitting below 100k, but it's above 60k.

fire emblem and kingdom hearts both cleared 200k shortly after their launch. atlus's games have debuted right around 15k for everything so far, but it's helpful in building a fanbase for the genre on the system. and this is before mario & luigi have hit, and before pokemon has hit. all this, plus nintendo is backing bravely default themselves, and is heavily promoting smt iv. the ds had a strong jrpg lineup, but i don't think it was built up so heavily so early like it has been on the 3ds.

Or they can just do a spin-off thing, like Golden Abyss.

Considering that 225k is barely any impact on releasing a premier Nintendo game, I would say the guys arguing for smartphones already won and Iwata was wrong. In isolation 225k might be a nice figure, but in context of its predecessor and a weaker PSP selling more than that in a regular month before the boom of smartphones and tablets, it's not a great achievement. Definitely not one where people should be partying about the death of smartphone gaming.
When people say the sales are good they're not looking at it in the context of its predecessor in a different market obviously. And no one is suggesting the death of smartphone gaming, if anything it's the opposite that has had more presence here.

Yoshi

Or they can just do a spin-off thing, like Golden Abyss.

When people say the sales are good they're not looking at it in the context of its predecessor in a different market obviously. And no one is suggesting the death of smartphone gaming, if anything it's the opposite that has had more presence here.

Yeah, I usually would have suggested that, but I didn't because many people who did play the game read to me as if a successor in a traditional sense wouldn't make a lot of sense story wise. If they ported the game (maybe changing some of the scenarios) and added a side story (like a small spinn off, featuring side characters of the main game) they could avoid this problem. Since they already have the UGA engine running, I think it would be relatively easy to do this quite quickly, because they wouldn't need a lot of game designers, just technicians seeing how to fit most of the graphics into the different framework.

That's the problem. We hold every console or handheld up against its predecessor, why does the 3DS get a pass on this measure? PS3 definitely didn't and it is the global number two now, but still considered a failure for not reaching anywhere near the heights of PS2.

Well this idea that people who were previously saying smartphone gaming will kill dedicated portables are backtracking over this one result seems silly. If 3DS had sold 500k this month and carried the momentum forwards then I would definitely be talking about the resurgence of 3DS and dedicated portable gaming, but that didn't happen. It sold well for a single week when ACNL was released and then died back down, hardly a resurgence of dedicated portable gaming. Now Nintendo are running out of silver bullets, the final one is Pokemon and we'll see what kind of impact that has and whether it can drag the kids away from Candy Crush Saga or whatever is en vogue when it releases.

SmokyDave

Uncharted: GA is possibly the best handheld game I've ever played. I'd punch a nun for a TLOU port / spinoff, though I wouldn't want Naughty Dog getting involved, they've got PS4 delights to produce. Bend would be a fine choice.

project x zone doing 50k would mean that the 3ds is probably the system for jrpgs for the foreseeable future.

tales of the abyss probably didn't hit what namco wanted, although it did get reorders after its initial print run, which is always a good sign. its ltd is sitting below 100k, but it's above 60k.

fire emblem and kingdom hearts both cleared 200k shortly after their launch. atlus's games have debuted right around 15k for everything so far, but it's helpful in building a fanbase for the genre on the system. and this is before mario & luigi have hit, and before pokemon has hit. all this, plus nintendo is backing bravely default themselves, and is heavily promoting smt iv. the ds had a strong jrpg lineup, but i don't think it was built up so heavily so early like it has been on the 3ds.

Nah, the game kinds flopped in Japan didn't it and Tales always does better on consoles so it will most likely be PS3 for Namco.

AniHawk

have bend make a game where you're a guy and you start putting together a community and the game is baaaaaasically like animal crossing but in the zombie apocalypse and it's less about finding peaches to sell to pay off debt and more about finding resources for your group, and who you let in. a mobile social element would be excellent for a game like that. i'm glad i thought of it. sony you can mail the check to barranca and red hill in santa ana where i sleep in my car.

Nah, the game kinds flopped in Japan didn't it and Tales always does better on consoles so it will most likely be PS3 for Namco.

pxz launched at 14k but it did 144k over time. that's the low end of par for course for jrpgs in japan these days.

tales is on ps3 from now on, yeah. they've gone ahead and said as much.

Kenka

tales of the abyss below 100k, but it's above 60k.

fire emblem and kingdom hearts both cleared 200k shortly after their launch.

[rest of arguments]
Yeah, on that I optimistically agree. J-RPGs are my favourite genre, I hope I get to play most of the high-profile ones on hardware I currently own. And if you hear me, God of Europe, please send me your blessings.

OK, historically, "Tales Of" has been a better fit on PS machines.
But I won't miss them as long as I get the likes of MegaTen, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest and what's more. Persona would be great on the 3DS too but I am being a bit greedy.

Yoshi

Uncharted: GA is possibly the best handheld game I've ever played. I'd punch a nun for a TLOU port / spinoff, though I wouldn't want Naughty Dog getting involved, they've got PS4 delights to produce. Bend would be a fine choice.

If we two agree, it is clear this has to be done ;).
Though I don't value punching a nun any differently to punching anyone who doesn't do any harm to me or other people just at that moment of time

Soriku

Soul Hackers did 20k+ in its first month. I have a good feeling about SMT IV's sales especially.

Top Bottom