• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Massa

The Vita has 0 chance of recovering in the west. Sit back and enjoy the niche japanese games and indie games and ps4 remote play because thats all thats happening after this year. Once Killzone and Tearaway come out that'll probably be it for exclusive vita content from sonys western studios. Also your wording implies this month's god awful sales are decent..

A price drop will come at gamescom though so they wont let it rot

How is the Vita dead if even by your admission it will continue to see games released for it? I'd like to understand how that works.

I suppose to some people downloadable games don't count. Quick everyone, the iPad is doomed.

and then in 2015, enjoy the ps4 remote play and indie games on your vita go.

This time I want them to go bigger, not smaller. VitaPad!

Hope Creamsugar can post FE Awakenings current US LTD.

Anyway. Wii-U sales at 42K? That's pretty much as expected considering it's.. situation.
X Zone reached 50K? That would actually be pretty good for the game.
Wario bombed.... ,but that's not too much of a surprise is it?

Amazing The Last Of Us sales ,though.

Goldmund

Indeed, they just battered handhelds into a bloody pulp in a matter of just 2 or 3 years instead.

Breathe easy!
It's more like Mobile and his cronies ganged up on Handheld in a dark alley, muttering "I'm 'a cut you up, you know that" while spinning a knife in his palm, not even looking Handheld in the eye, only to then kick him in the shin, scream "Know your place, punk!" and walk away with his sidekicks chuckling at his sides.

And he's not wrong.

Joni

Nice for The Last of Us, but strange that even now Sony remains silent. I would think this is the time to say how much The Last of Us and maybe even the PS3 sold.

AniHawk

Nice for The Last of Us, but strange that even now Sony remains silent. I would think this is the time to say how much The Last of Us and maybe even the PS3 sold.

i don't think they want to mention the ps3 is down 87k from where it was last year.

I think they heralded the birth of a dragon, or something.

v3CEc.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i don't think they want to mention the ps3 is down 87k from where it was last year.

MS is down around that much - course its easier to not mention drops in volumes when you're still the market leader during a month - you can emphasise a nice positive data point. Not sure Sony has any with PS3 hardware this month?

Codeblue

Uncharted: GA is possibly the best handheld game I've ever played. I'd punch a nun for a TLOU port / spinoff, though I wouldn't want Naughty Dog getting involved, they've got PS4 delights to produce. Bend would be a fine choice.

I guess Bend is ok and whatever, but wanting to reserve the most inventive studios that can move units for consoles is killing the platform. If Sony won't even fully support their platform then there is no hope for it.

Wiktor

Indeed, they just battered handhelds into a bloody pulp in a matter of just 2 or 3 years instead.

Breathe easy!

All all that battering still isn't stopping 3DS from selling great. Seems no matter how much mobile devices get sold there will always be big vibrant market for handhelds.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
All all that battering still isn't stopping 3DS from selling great. Seems no matter how much mobile devices get sold there will always be big vibrant market for handhelds.

3DS is selling great?

Had a good month (wouldn't say great), but has been far from great for the rest of this year.

Massa

I guess Bend is ok and whatever, but wanting to reserve the most inventive studios that can move units for consoles is killing the platform. If Sony won't even fully support their platform then there is no hope for it.

SmokyDave doesn't work for Sony. ;)

Their two flagship titles this holiday season are actually from Guerrilla Games and Media Molecule.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

We'll see by 3DS lifetime I guess just what a gargantuan carving the app market has taken to dedicated handhelds. 3DS seems more enroute to around 80 million, the same number as the killed-early GBA.

This of course if we pretended the PSP market in addition to the DS' didn't exist. They just fucking upped and disappeared entirely.

But no, its certainly not a big and vibrant market like it was. A worryingly swift contracting one instead.

Oh and hibernating dragons. And still he wonders why...

That's the problem. We hold every console or handheld up against its predecessor, why does the 3DS get a pass on this measure? PS3 definitely didn't and it is the global number two now, but still considered a failure for not reaching anywhere near the heights of PS2.

Well this idea that people who were previously saying smartphone gaming will kill dedicated portables are backtracking over this one result seems silly. If 3DS had sold 500k this month and carried the momentum forwards then I would definitely be talking about the resurgence of 3DS and dedicated portable gaming, but that didn't happen. It sold well for a single week when ACNL was released and then died back down, hardly a resurgence of dedicated portable gaming. Now Nintendo are running out of silver bullets, the final one is Pokemon and we'll see what kind of impact that has and whether it can drag the kids away from Candy Crush Saga or whatever is en vogue when it releases.

Actually that's true. Well let's see what next month will be like. If it goes under 200k then really all that's left for the year is Pokemon...luckily it is a well timed release. Still the extra unit sales for the month is a positive nonetheless.

Dude, Sony Bend is great. They made the PSP Syphon Filter games and Resistance Retribution as well.

SmokyDave

That's honestly not surprising. Vita's actually had games released this year.
Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter spring to mind. Vita has had nothing of that sales potential this year.

I can't say as I agree. The numbers don't lie. You've lowered your expectations is all.

Actually that's true. Well let's see what next month will be like. If it goes under 200k then really all that's left for the year is Pokemon...luckily it is a well timed release. Still the extra unit sales for the month is a positive nonetheless.

It'd be pretty surprising if it wouldn't go under 200k in July imo, considering that July is a 4 week month (compared to 5 weeks for June).
Average weekly 3DS sales increased from sth. like 29k in May to 45k in June and would need to increase to 50k in July to make it to 200k.

Anyone want to leak the Injustice numbers by platform? That's the first and only major third party game to launch on Wii U at the same time as the other versions, right?

Very, very good for TLoU. Didn't think it would hit it out of the park that much. Such a great achievement.

Hardware wise it's all depressing. All the consoles need to be cheaper. It's crazy that they aren't dropping. And sales show it's having major effects. They do make the 3DS numbers look better than they are too. It has a nice library of games now but gone are the days of great handheld numbers.

It'd be pretty surprising if it wouldn't go under 200k in July imo, considering that July is a 4 week month (compared to 5 weeks for June).
Average weekly 3DS sales increased from sth. like 29k in May to 45k in June and would need to increase to 50k in July to make it to 200k.

Iwata said 4x hardware increase for the ACNL week, so while the figures average out to 45k per week, the post ACNL weeks are much lower than that.

Into

I imagine 360 and PS3 will see a even bigger decline now than in previous years, due to upcoming PS4 and Xbox One.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I imagine 360 and PS3 will see a even bigger decline now than in previous years, due to upcoming PS4 and Xbox One.

Especially with prices being known as well. That $100 price difference between PS3 and PS4 isn't exactly going to help Sony sell PS3s over the next 4 months or so.

Decent to good sales for 3DS but that's just it. Hope the sales stay strong for next month. The system really needs more colours, a price cut or a new lite model.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Decent to good sales for 3DS but that's just it. Hope the sales stay strong for next month. The system really needs more colours, a price cut or a new lite model.

One day soon people will finally transition to calling these numbers "great," because we'll rarely ever see non-holiday numbers like them for a handheld. The market has changed that much.

Metallix87

Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter spring to mind. Vita has had nothing of that sales potential this year.

Monster Hunter is a port, and it was released in Japan last year. Lego City Undercover proved to be something the consumers didn't want, since it lacked a major IP like previous games.

Meanwhile, Vita had Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden, both of which had a fair amount of hype behind them.

Top Bottom