• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

900+k for TLOU is just super impressive! Very encouraging to see an exclusive title like it sell big towards the tail end of the generation.
I remember Chris got upset at someone for thinking it would do 3 million i believe. Guess he has to eat crow on that one
I was one of those, ha. But yeah, hard to see it not doing at least 3 million ww now. Its rapid success and legs all over the world has been very impressive.

I-hate-u

Yes, 985K would be the biggest debut of the first half, with Injustice and BioShock Infinite being the only entries in the 800-900K band.

Honestly I feel it's a huge success for Sony. These aren't good end-of-generation sales, they're just straight up good sales. It's also a great validation for Naughty Dog that what they do is the core driver of their sales, and not some series of happenstance, aggressive bundling, and good timing.

This would also be the first new IP Sony has managed to launch in a major way since God of War, and is a healthy sign for them going into the PS4 where they will want to try to majorly grow a lot of brands and launch multiple new IPs in a notable way in fast succession.

TLOU along with Injustice and Luigi's Mansion would be my runaway success stories of the first half relative to expectations.

Those Biochock and Injustice numbers include all skus right? Like PS3/360/PC version? Because if so its even more impressive. I honestly thought that Tomb Raider would be the best seller of the first half of 2013. Kudos to Naughty Dog and Sony.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right: Holy mother @ The Last of Us. Almost a million, freaking amazing. Sony found a brand new big IP, right before PS4 being released, fantastic. N Gods, indeed.

Now that I think about it...if PxZ sold around 50k, I can perfectly see Shin Megami Tensei selling 100k between retail and digital, thanks to the massive Club Nintendo promotion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Those Biochock and Injustice numbers include all skus right? Like PS3/360/PC version? Because if so its even more impressive. I honestly thought that Tomb Raider would be the best seller of the first half of 2013. Kudos to Naughty Dog and Sony.
Injustice didn't have a PC version, but yes they're all SKUs. BioShock could conceptually be higher depending on how much the PC version sold digitally in North America, but we never get those numbers.

Tomb Raider I did feel missed its potential by a bit.

Ah, right: Holy mother @ The Last of Us. Almost a million, freaking amazing. Sony found a brand new big IP, right before PS4 being released, fantastic. N Gods, indeed.

Now that I think about it...if PxZ sold around 50k, I can perfectly see Shin Megami Tensei selling 100k between retail and digital, thanks to the massive Club Nintendo promotion.

Yeah I'm interested to see the impact of that promotion.

Globox_82

Banned
For those that forgot GOW1 sold like crap, first month. Was it Spiderman game that destroyed it? But it had legs and reached big numbers in the end ww. GOW 2 sold 800k in USA first month if I am correct. GOW3 was 1 million, again if I am correct. But I am sure GOW 1 did bad at first. Jaffe talked about it in one of his vids.
This makes TLOU numbers even more impressive. Be sure sequel is coming at some point, not that it was ever in question of not being so.

Hmm I wonder if the UC3 team is working on UC4 or a new ip. I would love another new ip but it might be good to get some surefire sellers on ps4 in the first year because another GoW isn't coming anytime soon and GT6 is cross gen. I do worry about the post launch period for ps4 but i do think the next gen thing can hold for at least a few months.

Globox_82

Banned
Hmm I wonder if the UC3 team is working on UC4 or a new ip. I would love another new ip but it might be good to get some surefire sellers on ps4 in the first year because another GoW isn't coming anytime soon and GT6 is cross gen

they are working on both. u4, tlou2 and new ip. according to my theory.

Yes, 985K would be the biggest debut of the first half, with Injustice and BioShock Infinite being the only entries in the 800-900K band.

Honestly I feel it's a huge success for Sony. These aren't good end-of-generation sales, they're just straight up good sales. It's also a great validation for Naughty Dog that what they do is the core driver of their sales, and not some series of happenstance, aggressive bundling, and good timing.

This would also be the first new IP Sony has managed to launch in a major way since God of War, and is a healthy sign for them going into the PS4 where they will want to try to majorly grow a lot of brands and launch multiple new IPs in a notable way in fast succession.

TLOU along with Injustice and Luigi's Mansion would be my runaway success stories of the first half relative to expectations.

Going into next gen Sony has 2 IPs from ND with TLOU and UC that could be systems sellers \ sell 5 million plus .
They must be really happy with that since having more big IPs to go along with new ones is a plus .

Maybe ND can get another team , they have been the go to guys for Sony this gen .
They have 250 members plus last time i check , looking forward to whatever they bring out .

Striek

For those that forgot GOW1 sold like crap, first month. Was it Spiderman game that destroyed it? But it had legs and reached big numbers in the end ww. GOW 2 sold 800k in USA first month if I am correct. GOW3 was 1 million, again if I am correct. But I am sure GOW 1 did bad at first. Jaffe talked about it in one of his vids.
This makes TLOU numbers even more impressive. Be sure sequel is coming at some point, not that it was ever in question of not being so.

"Sold like crap" is an exaggeration and a half. It did >200k (debuted at #5) which was quite good for a new IP back then. Compare that to DMC3 which also came out the same month and did 250k (#3). Then it did another ~200k the next month...

I-hate-u

Naughty Dog is 200+ team. I don't think they can work on 3 extremely high production value games at the same time unless staff gets moved to other projects. I think Bend is making U4 for PS4 and Vita.

Endo Punk

True that. GOW was definitely a sleeper hit and so was Uncharted 1 for ND. The sequels are what truly catapulted those franchises.

AniHawk

3ds finally had a good month.

i mean, it's been one of the top-selling platforms for about a year, but usually it rises and falls with the others. the 360 and ps3 are still way overpriced, so it makes sense that they're declining so much yoy.

the vita and wii u didn't continue their decline, and that might signal some hope for them. they both need certain things just to stay alive, and i think it'll be provided to the wii u first (the vita's had a year of sony just letting it be).

the last of us's success is no surprise, but it's still pretty good nonetheless. it seems that software overall did pretty well this month.

So 3Ds wemt from incredibly dissapointing christmas to selling pretty decently now..

I think its mostly due to the first party titles as animal crossing, luigi, fire emblem or donkey kong now will the wiiu lineup have a similar effect on wiiu sales?

Globox_82

Banned
Naughty Dog is 200+ team. I don't think they can work on 3 extremely high production value games at the same time unless staff gets moved to other projects. I think Bend is making U4 for PS4 and Vita.

they are 255 according to Linkedin. plus they have 20 job openings.
In this video Evan Wells says that until U3 shipped that had peak at 40 people for the last of us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MhdJkx5S8 (be warned annoying reporter in the vid) . In same video filmed Feb 2012 they had around 140 people, he says it's one and a half team and they want to have 2 full teams. 255+ sounds more then two full teams imo. I know someone will say next gen bigger teams, but I am not buying it. teams will stay around the same size. 80 people are working on Second son for example. I just think it's possible that they have two full teams working on U4 and TLOU2. And one preprodiction team of 40-50 people working and trying new stuff for new IPs. My theory.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cream, didn't you post LTD software rankings for 3DS and Vita last June? I'd really appreciate to see them updated to June 2013 :)

rdrr gnr

I'm not sure I'd want another Last of Us game.
Not one with Joel and Ellie and not one with a new cast of characters.
I'd much rather have the team release their new franchise, I'm sure, and the TLoU team to continue with these unique IPs throughout the PS4's lifespan. I know that's not happening for financial and logistical reasons, but it would be nice. Plus, didn't DemonNite throw some weird hints around about Bend doing the next Uncharted? That would keep them at two games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure I'd want another Last of Us game.
Not one with Joel and Ellie and not one with a new cast of characters.
I'd much rather have the team release their new franchise, I'm sure, and the TLoU team to continue with these unique IPs throughout the PS4's lifespan. I know that's not happening for financial and logistical reasons, but it would be nice. Plus, didn't DemonNite throw some weird hints around about Bend doing the next Uncharted? That would keep them at two games.
I would only believe Bend doing the next Uncharted on the basis of it being a Vita game, since they're still really not big enough to handle that.

I guess they could be assisting.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The numbers are leaks. NPD's chains on the information haven't changed any.
I don't recall creamsugar ever being this candid before about numbers. Remember the month he gave the graph?
KuGsj.gif

Um, maybe I don't get it...

but why are the insider leaks so...cryptic?
And posted in small bits with ineqality expressions.
The fact this month has been much less cryptic than previous is what surprises me.

3DS selling not even hallf of what the DS did 6 years ago and that´s with pretty much no direct competition.

To be fair, Pokemon had just come out two months ago as of this time in the DS timeline, Pokemon moves hardware...3DS still has that card to play. Of course competition comes from a different market this time.

RM8

3DS selling not even hallf of what the DS did 6 years ago and that´s with pretty much no direct competition.
Impossible to avoid the comparison, I guess. But 3DS is not going to top the second best selling game system ever released, it's really not. Handhelds will never be as big as last gen in a world with current phones and tablets. And the comparison is especially bad because, well, Pokémon.

JoeM86

1. It has vast competition with smartphones and tablets
2. As people said, Pokémon was out in April 2007 so that would have seriously pushed units
3. The DS was an anomaly. At this point, it had cracked open the previously untapped market that has since shifted.

It's highly likely that nothing will sell as much as fast as the DS and Wii again. It's illogical to compare

Celine

But nintendo ended ds production so there is no shot even though sony ended ps2 production. The truth is though the DS was a much better selling platform than the ps2 although multiple DS are sold because it is a handheld. No console will ever reach ps2 numbers
yep.

So all in all, 3DS is doing about as well as GBA or PSP, which certainly is not bad by any metric especially with no Pokebomb yet. My 3DS playlog is huge, and I have not touched any Nintendo games on it except Fire Emblem.

Is the console market irreversibly contracted? The Wii U is selling surprisingly low. Historically so. I guess we will see if the industry has cratered eight months after Xbone and PS4 launches.

Also, I am going to purchase two Ouyas and keep one unboxed. That thing will be worth millions

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I could be wrong but I believe there will be a Pokemon after effect. I mean it will sell millions obviously, and kids will start knowing friends with Pokemon/3DS. I expect the virtous circle to start then: 3DS will be the most requested item on christmas lists.

3DS may not sell as much as DS, but I foresee its performance to keep getting better and better. Mimetism was a factor in Japan and I expect such a phenomenon in the west. Observing kids in my girls classrooms -how those who don't have a 3DS yet ask for one- is pretty telling.

Valkyria

Banned
1. It has vast competition with smartphones and tablets
2. As people said, Pokémon was out in April 2007 so that would have seriously pushed units
3. The DS was an anomaly. At this point, it had cracked open the previously untapped market that has since shifted.

It's highly likely that nothing will sell as much as fast as the DS and Wii again. It's illogical to compare

Plus it was really hot this month.

You have the same tune/point to make in every single thread. Wii U you could be forgiven, but you're putting negative spins on things that don't really warrant it here. I feel like your arrival should be accompanied by some sort of funeral procession song.

Every little thing's gonna be alright.

DiscoJer

I guess the Vita along with Android/iOS smartphones and tablets don't exist now.

The PSP sold about half what the DS did, 75 million to the DS's 150 million. World Wide.

This time the 3DS has apparently sold around 30 million WW, and the Vita has sold 5 million.

I don't think the Vita really is competing. Sony has gone from 1:2 to 1:6. Mobile is the biggest competitor to the 3DS.

When was the last time a Vita game hit the charts? Yet you see 3DS games regularly do it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
AC + 3DS = win. Well deserved! With it's current software 3DS is pure joy these days

Top Bottom