• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Striek

Now, I don't expect handheld market to ever produce a phenomenom like DS was. But at the same time all the doomsayers who claimed mobile would kill handheld market were proved to be wrong. The market just contracted to Gameboy Advance levels and it;s mostly casual users who drifted away to mobile

Hmmm...

June/01 880,784 (launch)
June/02 553,466
June/03 660,366
June/04 521,000
June/05 288,000 (post DS, PSP launch)

GBA was a fucking beast my friend.

3DS prints money, Wii U eats money.

Not really. I'm pretty sure Nintendo already admitted that they begin to make a profit whenever a first party Wii U title is purchased. And that was at launch, so they're probably just riding that out until they can afford to drop the price without taking a hit on the hardware.

kswiston

By the end of the gen 3DS will contract by 50% tops.

That's still huge, and justifies the concern that mobile devices have cut into the handheld market. I know the case was different in other regions, but in the US, the GBA had extremely strong sales in its somewhat short life. We're probably looking at the 3DS finishing as the worst selling Nintendo handheld by quite some margin.

Hmmm...

June/01 880,784 (launch)
June/02 553,466
June/03 660,366
June/04 521,000
June/05 288,000 (post DS, PSP launch)

GBA was a fucking beast my friend.

Ya, he is looking at the worldwide shipment number for GBA and assuming it was equally distributed worldwide. It was huge in North America. Nintendo shipped close to 42M units to the region, which was over half of its worldwide shipment.

Contracting by 75% is pretty fucking bad. I think the doomsayers are pretty well vindicated. We've reached a point where it's good news that the 3DS is selling worse than the PSP did in the US.

Worse in terms of monthly sales or LTD?

And people need to understand that it's not just tablets and PC gaming that is cutting into the industry. The interest in gaming in general will continue to dwindle as people continue to spend less, because they settle for more primitive experiences.

Road

npd_handheld_1sthalf7ebr4.png

allan-bh

3DS is just OK. The problem is that everyone (inclusive Nintendo) expected more. But even in Japan, 3DS is doing very great, but it's not a DS.

Are new times.

jcm

Can we get the full annual chart?

I don't like this first six months deal.

Monthly. I don't have LTD's. But Road's chart gives us a good look.

I'd rather have the full year before making the assumption that 3DS sales are catastrophic. It's also important to look at profit margins as sales of costly hardware aren't as relevant unless they have substantial revenue from first party software and third party licensing.

Also, LTD sales are important. I wouldn't assume based on monthly.

Like I said, first six months is disingenuous.

Especially when you're talking about Nintendo who's basically AWOL from Jan. - Oct.

Sure.

Just hook me up with a time machine so I can travel to January 2014 and come back. =P

The title in that chart is tracking sales for the first six months of each year and not the full year. I don't know why one would only track half of a year but it's not representative of the market - especially when most sales kick in on the holiday season.

It could well be that the proportions year over year wouldn't change much, even with the second half of the year included -- but it would be more accurate to actually see those figures.

kswiston

Ds number doesn't include China, not saying that would push it over as fuck knows what the sales figures there are but you never know

I'm not sure why people are so interested in that race. Handhelds have a pretty big advantage in hardware sales since people are more likely to buy revisions or multiple units per household. Look at the amount of software sold between the two, it's not even close.

That said, DS sold an impressive amount of software for a handheld system.

Worldwide numbers are what matter :)

Not to mention it's bit silly to talk about difference of couple of millions in hardware when in software sales PS2 absolutely destroys DS (1.5 billion vs under billion). Actually PS3 has also decent chance to overtake DS in lifetime software sales. Then when you factor that in software sales 3DS is even more behind DS than hardware sales you can see why some people worry. 3DS pretty much sells only Nintendo software outside of Japan. Original DS was big money maker for third parties too.

Wiktor

That's still huge, and justifies the concern that mobile devices have cut into the handheld market. .

Oh, they definitely have cut into it and heavily. But the didn't kill them. 3DS has proved there's enough of fans of this type of devices that they can prosper.

I was thinking that Handhelds need to start the next revolutionary procedure. Remember, it was the DS who revolutionized Touch Screen gaming along with Dual Screens. This was later captured by Smartphones/Tablets, who are now fully utilizing it for their games. So it is not as appealing for consumers for VITA/3DS. 3D again proved to be gimmick and wasn't as successful as the touch/dual screen combo of DS.

So thinking this, what should be the next logical step for a Nintendo handheld? As for the PSP sales, i am pretty sure that it succeed mainly due to the fact that it was hacked and proved to be a homebrew heaven with its ability to emulate almost every system and play Movies, Music etc. But there is no interest for homebrew on a dedicated handheld now because you can easily do it on your Tablet/Smartphone.

jcm

Especially when you're talking about Nintendo who's basically AWOL from Jan. - Oct.

The title in that chart is tracking sales for the first six months of each year and not the full year. I don't know why one would only track half of a year but it's not representative of the market - especially when most sales kick in on the holiday season.

It could well be that the proportions year over year wouldn't change much, even with the second half of the year included -- but it would be more accurate to actually see those figures.

I don't understand your complaint. It's comparing like-to-like. Nintendo is not "basically AWOL" for the first half. Look at the GBA and the DS. In the past, they've sold plenty of hardware in the first half.

I'm not sure why people are so interested in that race. Handhelds have a pretty big advantage in hardware sales since people are more likely to buy revisions or multiple units per household. Look at the amount of software sold between the two, it's not even close.

Handhelds have a big advantage in hardware but consoles also have a big advantage with software for the same reason and also because they're usually getting vastly superior third party support. But yeah the comparisons are pointless. Different markets too.

I don't understand your complaint. It's comparing like-to-like. Nintendo is not "basically AWOL" for the first half. Look at the GBA and the DS. In the past, they've sold plenty of hardware in the first half.

I have no idea if a year over year comparison is accurate without figures for an actual year over year.

every single ps2 owner I know has had to buy multiple ps2 systems over the years due to them breaking

More like AWOL until August. I would not count Game & Wario. It will more interesting later than that, though.

You pointed out a flaw tracking only six-months. It is safe to assume that tracking a year for the Wii U when it gets that old may give us a very different picture.

What's the consensus on the Wii U numbers?

42K is a bit deceptive as this reporting month tracked five weeks.

So if last month's weekly average was 8.25K, this month is only slightly better at 8.4K.

It really isn't a leap befitting of a console that had some major E3 announcements (Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, DK: TF) and had New Super Luigi U release at the same time.

Its continued weakness worries me, as I believe that will set an underwhelming precedent until the holiday season.

This has two major consequences:

1) It will be exceptionally difficult for Nintendo to meet operating profit goals, which may spark ire from investors if Nintendo produces another middling FY and may lead to some management shakeups.

2) Nintendo may lose the confidence of some of the few third-parties still supporting them (WBI, Ubisoft), leading to the Wii U being driven exclusively by 1st-party and 3rd-party moneyhats. That is NOT a healthy console ecosystem and has significant ramifications for the platform in the future.

You pointed out a flaw tracking only six-months. It is safe to assume that tracking a year for the Wii U when it gets that old may give us a very different picture.

I think that's what everyone is hoping for.

On the Wii U side, if it doesn't get a reasonable boost come the holiday season, then everyone is warranted in busting out the pitchforks.

jcm

I have no idea if a year over year comparison is accurate without figures for an actual year over year.

I honestly don't see what you're getting at. Year-over-Year comparison means comparing a period to the same period from the prior year. In this case, we're comparing the first half of this year to the first half of last year (and the years before, as well). We don't have figures, but we do have a graph.

42K is a bit deceptive as this reporting month tracked five weeks.

So if last month's weekly average was 8.25K, this month is still only slightly better at 8.4K.

It really isn't a leap that's befitting of a console that had some major E3 announcements (Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, DK: TF) and had New Super Luigi U release at the same time.

Its continued weakness worries me, as I believe that will set an underwhelming precedent until the holiday season.

This has two major consequences:

1) It will be exceptionally difficult for Nintendo to meet operating profit goals, which may spark ire from investors if Nintendo produces another middling FY and lead to some management shakeups.

2) Nintendo may lose the confidence of some of the few third-parties still supporting them (WBGI, Ubisoft), leading to the Wii U being driven exclusively by 1st-party and 3rd-party moneyhats. That is NOT a healthy console ecosystem and has significant ramifications for the platform in the future.
Nintendo is likely relying on the 3DS for most of that profit. I also believe that most 3rd party publishers still working on the Wii U are well aware that Nintendo will not start releasing high quality 1st party games until August in the US, which means that itsblow sales will likely continue until that point. It's not a big secret at all.

kswiston

every single ps2 owner I know has had to buy multiple ps2 systems over the years due to them breaking

And I bought one console in 2001 that still works. Anecdotal stories aren't all that useful. Some percentage of consoles are replacements, but that's always the case. People break and lose handhelds as well.

So that 985K number for The Last of Us was only for two versions but three versions were actually released.
I'm positive it sold over a million at retail if you combined all three versions.

Nintendo is likely relying on the 3DS for most of that profit. I also believe that most 3rd party publishers still working on the Wii U are well aware that Nintendo will not start releasing high quality 1st party games until August in the US, which means that itsblow sales will likely continue until that point. It's not a big secret at all.

Every publisher is unique, but there is no guarantee that all third-party publishers continuing to support the Wii U will still feel that way come November.

kswiston

I honestly don't see what you're getting at. Year-over-Year comparison means comparing a period to the same period from the prior year. In this case, we're comparing the first half of this year to the first half of last year (and the years before, as well). We don't have figures, but we do have a graph.

I think he is trying to suggest that Nintendo consoles do monster sales around the holidays, so the comparison would look better. However, the 3DS hasn't really been doing monster sales in those months either. ~1.8M consoles sold between November and December last year. DS did 2.5M in Holiday 2006 (PSP did 1.4M, GBA did 1.5M).

Holiday 2007, we are going to be looking at 4M for the DS, and 1.6M for the PSP. The 3DS will probably be up compared to last year thanks to Pokemon, but I doubt it will even be close to that DS number.

I'm not implying it would help increase sales to good levels. It would just raise them to above diabolical.

The other route requires hundreds of millions of dollars worth of payola and investment into AAA software. Something Sony have shown they are not prepared to do.

Also, I think the indie games market is such that Vita could just become the default place to play indie games on the go, if it was marketed right. It is easy to develop for and it gives developers a piracy free environment to release their games on, while giving some level of smartphone compatibility with PS-Mobile.

It's just an available route that Sony can take. What they are doing right now clearly isn't working.
Sony is literally letting vita sit there. They have put in absolutely no effort for Vita outside of Japan. It's not like they tried and failed, they didn't fucking try in the first place. You say their strategy isn't working but what strategy are you talking about? There is no "strategy" :lol. They through the thing out there and let it sit.

Tagg9

Sony is literally letting vita sit there. They have put in absolutely no effort for Vita outside of Japan. It's not like they tried and failed, they didn't fucking try in the first place. You say their strategy isn't working but what strategy are you talking about? There is no "strategy" :lol. They through the thing out there and let it sit.

That's simply not true. Last holiday, Sony had plenty of advertising for the Vita (usually focusing on CoD and AC). There's no point in spending more advertising dollars on it at the moment when they'd be better spent promoting the PS4 in a few months time.

3DS sales really look more like PSP sales than NDS or GBA based on that chart...

Also, I have no idea what the problem is with an H1 comparison chart. It's a like for like comparison.

It's no different than comparing Junes, or Q1s or full years provided the correct context is given. And it was.

Dragon

Banned
You misunderstand, I'm not talking about near field remote play, I'm talking about remote play through the internet. Vita is supposed to allow you to use Remote Play from any spot where there's a wireless internet connection assuming your PS4 is on. That's a lot to factor in other than just being close to the console.

The PS4 has different on states, what you're describing isn't necessarily accurate. You don't have to leave your PS4 "on", it has a low power state which can still receive whatever Wake on Lan implementation Sony uses.

And families are MUCH more likely to buy multiple DS's for their kids rather than PS2's.

Well of course I would rather see the trend for the full year up until 2012 even if we haven't finished 2013.

This way I can make a better educated guess about trends in the handheld market.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS sales really look more like PSP sales than NDS or GBA based on that chart...

Also, I have no idea what the problem is with an H1 comparison chart. It's a like for like comparison.

It's no different than comparing Junes, or Q1s or full years provided the correct context is given. And it was.
For the context to be correct, you'd have to take Pokemon into account. It released on April 2007 on DS, and it had quite an impact as we can see in the chart. On 3DS the exclusive Pokemon releases this H2, I expect it to have a similar impact.

allan-bh

To put in numbers:

NDS 2005- 2.6m (launched in nov 2004)
PSP 2005- 3.6m
3DS 2011- 4.1m

NDS 2006- 5.3m
PSP 2006- 3.0m
3DS 2012- 3.6m

NDS H1 2007- 2.7m
PSP H1 2007- 1.3m
3DS H1 2013- 1.0m

For the context to be correct, you'd have to take Pokemon into account. It released on April 2007 on DS, and it had quite an impact as we can see in the chart. On 3DS the exclusive Pokemon releases this H2, I expect it will have a similar impact.

Oh yea, Pokemon will be released later this year.

Well that's definitely going to change things.

Tagg9

The 3DS will be back to DS numbers as soon as Pokemon launches. I hope Nintendo has enough units stockpiled for October...

FDC1

That's simply not true. Last holiday, Sony had plenty of advertising for the Vita (usually focusing on CoD and AC). There's no point in spending more advertising dollars on it at the moment when they'd be better spent promoting the PS4 in a few months time.

This. And if PS4 is a success it will be then easier to promote Vita. "Play your PS4 games everywhere!" (I'm using quotes) is an easy and understandable slogan. Vita will probably more affordable by then too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish we knew PS3 sales numbers. I like both of Sony's current systems, but they both scream price drop to me. Vita cause it needs a boost to sell, and the PS3 cause the price seems so high this late in the gen.

Both systems should be $200 IMO.

Top Bottom