• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Wish we knew PS3 sales numbers. I like both of Sony's current systems, but they both scream price drop to me. Vita cause it needs a boost to sell, and the PS3 cause the price seems so high this late in the gen.

Both systems should be $200 IMO.

Are you referring to June 2013 sales? YTD? LTD?

Because PS3 sold 108K this month.

That's simply not true. Last holiday, Sony had plenty of advertising for the Vita (usually focusing on CoD and AC). There's no point in spending more advertising dollars on it at the moment when they'd be better spent promoting the PS4 in a few months time.
:lol, getting a studio with a absolutely terrible track record and getting then to make a new CoD in less than 7 months isn't what I call a well thought out plan. AC was garbage and barely had any money invested into it. CoD and AC bundle sounded good on paper but was executed horribly. I also want you to notice that they haven't done anything since then. After that push they just let the thing rot. They should have still continued to push vita, Nintendo is still pushing the 3ds. What is Sony doing? Fucking Nothing. Why is 2k still waiting on Sony to greenlight BioShock? Where is borderlands? Why didn't they advertise soul sacrifice? Why is puppeteer a ps3 game? Why didn't they make sure they had a stream of games coming to Vita so they can push the console? They put in no effort. The only game SCEA announced for Vita this year are fucking HD collections? Like I said before, NO EFFORT.

I honestly don't see what you're getting at. Year-over-Year comparison means comparing a period to the same period from the prior year. In this case, we're comparing the first half of this year to the first half of last year (and the years before, as well). We don't have figures, but we do have a graph.

He wants a rolling 12 month look ending June, rather than comparing 1Hs.

And he's got a point... with most HH launches coming in the 1H, the 1H data may be a bit skewed.

Striek

For the context to be correct, you'd have to take Pokemon into account. It released on April 2007 on DS, and it had quite an impact as we can see in the chart. On 3DS the exclusive Pokemon releases this H2, I expect it will have a similar impact.
The DS had actually taken off well before Pokemon, starting in June 2006. The impact Pokemon had on sales was not itself obvious since the system was basically selling out since Xmas 06 IIRC.

Mar/509000
Apr/471000
May/423000

The impact XY has will obviously be much more noticeable since there will be no supply issues when it launches (at least before).

:lol, getting a studio with a absolutely terrible track record and getting then to make a new CoD in less than 7 months isn't what I call a well thought out plan. AC was garbage and barely had any money invested into it. CoD and AC bundle sounded good on paper but was executed horribly. I also want you to notice that they haven't done anything since then. After that push they just let the thing rot. They should have still continued to push vita, Nintendo is still pushing the 3ds. What is Sony doing? Fucking Nothing. Why is 2k still waiting on Sony to greenlight BioShock? Where is borderlands? Why didn't they advertise soul sacrifice? Why is puppeteer a ps3 game? Why didn't they make sure they had a stream of games coming to Vita so they can push the console? They put in no effort. The only game SCEA announced for Vita this year are fucking HD collections? Like I said before, NO EFFORT.

Nintendo only has 2 systems to support - and even then, they dropped the Wii support in 2011 and are barely supporting the WiiU.

FDC1

Wish we knew PS3 sales numbers. I like both of Sony's current systems, but they both scream price drop to me. Vita cause it needs a boost to sell, and the PS3 cause the price seems so high this late in the gen.

Both systems should be $200 IMO.

360 & PS3 prices won't change before their successor's releases. They don't wan't compete to to themselves. I expect a price drop in February/March 2014.

BowieZ

Banned
So am I understanding this? 3DS is at about 35 million WW as of end of Q2, and Nintendo projects another 14 million WW through Q3-4?

...wth a software lineup of Pokemon in October and Mario Party in November... plus Monster Hunter 4 in September in Japan, and Zelda: Link Between Worlds in November outside of Japan?

So let's say if it's roughly 200K average a month for July, August and September in US and also in EU/other, that means each of the 3 main regions in their "juggernaut months" (Oct-Dec WW plus Sept in JP) need to clear a further 1.2 million per month on average, or in other words, about 300K per WEEK per region, within that timeframe.

That seems quite lofty, even considering the Pokemon/Holiday effect, right?

Or am I off on these calculations?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So am I understanding this? 3DS is at about 35 million WW as of end of Q2, and Nintendo projects another 14 million WW through Q3-4?

...wth a software lineup of Pokemon in October and Mario Party in November... plus Monster Hunter 4 in September in Japan, and Zelda: Link Between Worlds in November outside of Japan?

So let's say if it's roughly 200K average a month for July, August and September in US and also in EU/other, that means each of the 3 main regions in their "juggernaut months" (Oct-Dec WW plus Sept in JP) need to clear a further 1.2 million per month on average, or in other words, about 300K per WEEK per region, within that timeframe.

You are missing January, February, March 2014. This quarter is the end of their fiscal year.

When was the last time the 3DS met Nintendo's expectations?

Merging the GameBoy and the Color makes about as much sense as merging the GameCube and the Wii. Not sure why they do it.

The Game Boy Color was a stopgap measure enacted by Nintendo to bridge the gap between Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo Game Boy Advance. There was only 2 years and 5 months between the release of the GBC and the release of the GBA.

As a result, some historians (including NCL's internal figures at times) lump the GBC as a branch of GB as it isn't considered a "true successor" and for convenience.

For the context to be correct, you'd have to take Pokemon into account. It released on April 2007 on DS, and it had quite an impact as we can see in the chart. On 3DS the exclusive Pokemon releases this H2, I expect it to have a similar impact.
As already noted above, the NDS took off a year prior with the Lite and accompanying price drop, iirc.

If you really want to remain incredulous to the notion that handheld hardware is in decline, here's a trailing twelve months graph of Nintendo handhelds:
cFYgyyo.png

The primary reason why Vita is failing isn't because Sony hasn't put enough effort into the vision of "console-quality gaming on the go," though you're obviously correct that they could be trying much harder. It's failing because it's a product conceived, designed, and positioned around a vision of handheld gaming that the vast majority of their target demographic has no real interest in.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If you really want to remain incredulous to the notion that handheld hardware is in decline, here's a trailing twelve months graph of Nintendo handhelds:
cFYgyyo.png
Looking at the upcoming lineup I expect a major rise. I'm that optimistic guy that looks ahead and see the light.

Gorillaz

Indie games don't sell a dedicated game system.
Yes because most dedicated systems have over a dozen AAA titles that completely out market and advertise indies

If a system had little to no AAA and all indie then at that point its a indie system. Don't know if Sony is smart enough to realize that yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are you referring to June 2013 sales? YTD? LTD?

Because PS3 sold 108K this month.

YTD... Just wondering how sales are this year. I swear the PS3 could be doing even better if they could get msrp down to $199.99 levels.

I know at this point we won't get price drops till next gen hits, but I just feel like the PS3 has needed a price drop for a year now even if it is just on a low space model.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at the upcoming lineup I expect a major rise. I'm that optimistic guy that looks ahead and see the light.

Hopefully while summoning a dragon that was left in a ibernation-status for thousands of years.

Seriously, what was that? XD

BowieZ

Banned
You are missing January, February, March 2014. This quarter is the end of their fiscal year.
Ahhh okay. Bingo. Meanwhile I'm guessing there's very little in the pipeline for that quarter?

Mario Golf: World Tour and Yoshi's New Island, possibly?

Well I'm sure there's heaps of crazy JP titles that'll help it in that region anyway.

They're supporting Wii U, but the games aren't out yet. Don't pretend they're not making content for it.

Sure, but the question is, and has always been, what the heck were they doing in the huge gap of time since they stopped making Wii games? They clearly weren't making Wii U games. It's mind boggling how poorly thought out the Wii U was, in nearly every detail.

BowieZ

Banned
Sure, but the question is, and has always been, what the heck were they doing in the huge gap of time since they stopped making Wii games? They clearly weren't making Wii U games. It's mind boggling how poorly thought out the Wii U was, in nearly every detail.
HD transition, also possibly because they diverted a lot of their resources to 3DS as that is always going to be their priority. Also the big restructure and office relocation of 2012-13.

kswiston

I didn't expect Animal Crossing to sell half a million so fast, holy shit.

Yeah, I was off base on that game too. Probably helped that it received great reviews. The best (by a small margin) of the franchise on Metacritic.

The 3DS is having an excellent software year.I'm glad to see that US gamers are responding to Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, DKCR, and New Leaf. Hopefully the eShop promo pushes Shin Megami Tensei to higher than usual sales for the series as well.

chadboban

Nintendo only has 2 systems to support - and even then, they dropped the Wii support in 2011 and are barely supporting the WiiU.

Well notable Vita exclusives for the rest of the year and beyond off the top of my head are

Tearaway
Killzone Mercenary
Tales of ...(sorry can't remember the names)
YS
Freedom Wars

And for Wii U

Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Sonic Lost World
Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
X
Smash Bros
SMT x Fire Emblem
Yarn Yoshi

Once again these lists are merely off the top of my head so if I missed anything feel free to let me know.

Now whether these titles appeal to anyone is NOT the reason that I made this list. It was merely to show who is currently giving their dying system the most support and from my perspective it's pretty clear that Nintendo is giving their system better support than Sony is currently giving to the Vita.

inb4 "But one is a handheld and one is a console! We shouldn't be comparing them!"
I absolutely agree with that, I was merely responding to the person I quoted who said that Nintendo barely supporting the Wii U the same way Sony isn't supporting the Vita. The future of both devices is unclear to say the least but as of right now, in terms of exclusives lined up it's pretty clear that Nintendo is cleary putting in more effort than Sony. Hopefully Sony shows the Vita some love at gamescom. It's a great system and deserves better support than it is currently receiving.

If you're looking ahead then you're not concerned about a game or two that will create jumps of positivity in a four year long trend of decline. Short term solutions to long term problems.

It's hard to see there not being an upward swing with Pokemon arriving, but I'm not sure about "major". That's all right, though, if Nintendo can carve out a niche for themselves at roughly the current level, that's viable.

Pre- and directly post-3DS launch, everyone including mass media outlets were saying that portables were unquestionably dead due to phones. Clearly that's not the case. Mobile phones are as common as grass, but there seems to still be a market for (Nintendo) handhelds.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So, how many more consoles to go before the 360 is the best selling console ever in the United States?

womfalcs3

Banned
360 & PS3 prices won't change before their successor's releases. They don't wan't compete to to themselves. I expect a price drop in February/March 2014.

I think the people who would buy a PS4 at launch are completely different from this who would be buying a PS3 this late in the generation.

A price drop would not hurt their PS4 sales.

HD transition, also possibly because they diverted a lot of their resources to 3DS as that is always going to be their priority. Also the big restructure and office relocation of 2012-13.

That's all clear now, to us, if only because no games have arrived. But it should've been, yet apparently wasn't, clear to Nintendo that it was going to be a major problem.

Road

And he's got a point... with most HH launches coming in the 1H, the 1H data may be a bit skewed.

I did one not too long ago, and I think jvm did too. It doesn't change anything. The facts are the same: Handhelds are at the worst situation since the Game Boy / Game Boy Color era, for Nintendo or not. Sony fanboys can believe the Vita is not dead and Nintendo fanboys that 3DS numbers are amazing all they want.

I could do a rolling 12 month since 2000 (without labels) if I had the monthly sales for every handheld, though ;)

Mpl90

Yeah, I was off base on that game too. Probably helped that it received great reviews. The best (by a small margin) of the franchise on Metacritic.

The 3DS is having an excellent software year.I'm glad to see that US gamers are responding to Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, DKCR, and New Leaf. Hopefully the eShop promo pushes Shin Megami Tensei to higher than usual sales for the series as well.

I remember someone posted the sales for many Atlus releases here in US, including several Shin Megami Tensei titles. Anyone who got it?

Madouu

When was the last time the 3DS met Nintendo's expectations?

When was the last time Nintendo hit any of its expectations?

I did one not too long ago, and I think jvm did too. It doesn't change anything. The facts are the same: Handhelds are at the worst situation since the Game Boy / Game Boy Color era, for Nintendo or not. Sony fanboys can believe the Vita is not dead and Nintendo fanboys that 3DS numbers are amazing all they want.

I could do a rolling 12 month since 2000 (without labels) if I had the monthly sales for every handheld, though ;)

I think what's really interesting is trying to predict in what situation this particular market will be in 2 or 3 years.

Cromat

The 3DS is mostly constrained by its price. For $30 more you can get a Nexus 7 tablet.

If they lower it to $130 it will explode.

So, how many more consoles to go before the 360 is the best selling console ever in the United States?

About 2.8 million, I think. Numbers are spotty recently, to say the least.

Oh, wait. That's to pass the Wii. Best ever? Not a chance in hell. It's like 8 million behind the PS2 and 15 million behind the DS.

About it passing the Wii, though...that'll be an interesting race. It'll depend how quickly sales fall off. The Wii's been squeaking out a few more sales. If Microsoft would drop the 360 to the price it should be, those streams could cross as soon as this Christmas. If they don't, or if the Wii has one last gasp of a Christmas in it after all, maybe next year, or maybe even never.

BuzzJive

As already noted above, the NDS took off a year prior with the Lite and accompanying price drop, iirc.

cFYgyyo.png

It's trending down for sure, but that's a pretty normal cyclical expectation. The price is a huge factor that can't be ignored. The 3DS still costs more than the DS ever did. Ever. When Nintendo hits the $129 price point, there will most definitely be upward movement on that graph.

Bruno MB

I remember someone posted the sales for many Atlus releases here in US, including several Shin Megami Tensei titles. Anyone who got it?

LTD numbers as of January 2009

Persona 4 - 123k
SMT: Devil Summoner - 43k
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 - 51k
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2 - 43k
SMT: Nocturne - 60k

Madouu

It's trending down for sure, but that's a pretty normal cyclical expectation. The price is a huge factor that can't be ignored. The 3DS still costs more than the DS ever did. Ever. When Nintendo hits the $129 price point, there will most definitely be upward movement on that graph.

I don't believe Nintendo's focus should be only on moving more units right now.

It should be on increasing profits, increasing software tie-in, increasing eshop revenues and carving a spot in the market that is different from what the DS was, because a lot of that type of software has gone to other platforms.

Of course moving more units is important but I don't think GBA north american levels of units moved are needed for the 3DS. It can be a better business platform for Nintendo than the GBA with much less units sold during the same time frame but I think we're still a bit far from that right now.

YTD... Just wondering how sales are this year. I swear the PS3 could be doing even better if they could get msrp down to $199.99 levels.

I know at this point we won't get price drops till next gen hits, but I just feel like the PS3 has needed a price drop for a year now even if it is just on a low space model.

x5eLhgV.png

W9NfmoU.png

Mpl90

Persona 4 - 123k

Thanks.

*sees SMTIV is basically still first on Amazon.com, without considering all the cards / PS4*

Oh man.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by normal cyclical expectation? A generational fatigue would be evident in a decline that was subsequently reversed by new hardware.

The launch of the 3DS managed to arrest decline for about a year, but since then there's been a negative trend. It's not making up for the decline in NDS sales.

I think the software they have coming and the eventual price drops are only going to help them hold at an annualised sales rate of 5M, perhaps lift that rate to ~6M again. But I wouldn't anticipate any miracles getting Nintendo handhelds back to a 10M sales rate. Smart devices and 99c games have really taken the gloss off of dedicated handheld hardware.

jcm

I like tracking TTMs as much as anyone, but the basic complaint that this chart doesn't mean anything because Nintendo is AWOL in the first half is just wrong. The GBA and the NDS did very well in the first half.

This isn't looking at a single month and drawing big conclusions. The chart contains 72 months of data. I suspect the people trying to invalidate it just don't like the trend it shows. The dedicate handheld market in the US has cratered.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
PS3 sold better than I thought in Q1. Still think it is due for a low end model price drop though. Would get it to hover around 200k per month vs 100k IMO. Maybe Sony is fine with the 100k and profit margins though.

donny2112

As a result, some historians (including NCL's internal figures at times) lump the GBC as a branch of GB as it isn't considered a "true successor" and for convenience.

Like DSi is lumped with DS for total figures from Nintendo, even though it had DSiWare (and a couple of DSi-only retail games) unique to it.

kswiston

Persona 4 - 123k

Persona was a Dec 2008 release, so it's LTD is probably over 150k at this point.

I think 150k for SMT4 would be a healthy goal. How many digital copies did Fire Emblem sell? All of those gamers will be aware of the promotion since Nintendo has it prominently featured on the eShop. They also seem to be advertising the promotion online, since that's showing up as my NeoGAF ad at the moment :p

Guevara

The PS3 is too expensive, but everything is too expensive. We never got to the mass market prices this gen and that's really dumb because it's the only way the dedicated gaming hardware market will expand. People will find a way to buy a smartphone and/or tablet, they won't spend that kind of money on a console.

FDC1

Wasn't the DS released at $199?

kswiston

$149 and it didn't hit the amazing numbers we all know until $129 DS lite.

They should drop the XL down to $169 and the OG 3DS to $139 this holiday. That plus Pokemon could really boost sales, and having a $139 option would price it under all but the cheapest no name tablets.

Top Bottom