• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

Hasn't Minecraft been unusually low in the charts lately? I was expecting bumps in the past couple of months because of the switch version and the Better Together update, but it seems to have not moved the needle on it. Has Minecraft finally slowed down?
The fact a $20 game is hanging there in revenue with $60 games is actually impressive..

Guerrilla went from making games that did not review greatly on a consistent level (Killzone 2 is the best shooter I've ever played though) and they also did not sell a huge amount. They completely knocked it out the park with Horizon, it's not an apples to apples comparison but having just finished the piece of shit on a disc that is FF15, GG did so well for their first RPG effort. For one, it didn't feel stitched together.

Horizon is such a good base for GG to build on. A horde mode, really flushed out in Horizon 2 will be so fucking fun!

Play more shooters...

Seriously though, Killzone sold decently enough. Last figures I could find were from Jan 2014 when Shadow Fall had sold 2.1 million: https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/29/killzone-shadow-fall-global-sales-top-2-1-million/

That's a launch title which helps, but still pretty decent numbers. I could see it going either way with continuing the series in some capacity.

Ridley327

It was the best possible package for Wipeout to go out with. Amazing package and value. But people still didn't want it. RIP.

Futuristic racers really don't have a lot of appeal for some reason. I wonder if it is because there's no real world equivalent, since it's not like Ferrari is working on an anti-grav F488 for people to ogle.

cordy

Banned
Jin_Kazama_TTT2.png

King_%28album%29.jpg

WE BACK!!!

nelchaar

Holy shit at Crash. 2 days selling in June, top 4 by revenue at $40 compared to all the other games at $60. Incredible.

The fact a $20 game is hanging there in revenue with $60 games is actually impressive..

And the fact that it's so cheap does wonders for it's numbers. $20 for one of the hottest games ever made is a pretty low barrier of entry.

I was interested in examining the fact that one of the consistently best selling games of all time seems to finally be slowing down (if that analysis is even correct and this isn't some temporary lull) and what that means overall, not the fact that it's price is still $20.

phant0m

How long until GTA V has sold more copies than there are people able to play GTA V (eg not counting children < 8, etc)?

Ashtar

@Mat
The best selling list for 2017 and last 12 months is by revenue? does it include DLC?

I think Injustice 2 may outsell Horizon, there are no big releases in July besides splatoon 2

I'm going to predict the top 10 for next month

1. Splatoon 2 sells upwards of 400K
2. Injustice 2 Aggressive DLC moves this ahead of Tekken 7
3. Tekken 7
4. Crash bandicoot since it's only 40 bucks it will likely chart lower than Tekken
5. GTA V
6. TLOZ
7. MK8
8. Ghost Recon
9. Arms
10. Overwatch

I was on the camp expecting 100k~120k tops. You can't compare it with other years because it's not the same situation - I have no idea why you expected xbox one sales to be great when they just announced a brand new console coming up but yes, i think it's good so far if people are holding back to buy a One X later. If they don't, then it won't be good, no. But sure, call it a spin and turn this into a console war if you want to.

Where did I say I expected Xbox One sales to be great? I expected them to be down YoY because that's generally been the case for the last few months but I didn't expect a YoY drop as large as 28%. That's terrible and while you may have had really low expectations, it's still baffling to consider those numbers anything but bad. The fact it came the same month the PS4 had a 63% YoY bump only makes it look that much worse.

I also think it's misguided to think any significant number of people are holding off on a Xbox purchase now so they can get a $500 One X later in the year. The target market for that device aren't buying a Xbox One in June 2017, they already have one.

GAF is a bubble, the others will decide how important it is through their money.

I don't even understand the logic here. "PS4 has no cross-play so I'm going to... Get an Xbox One where I still can't cross-play with PS4 because Sony won't allow it."

Even if the topic had resonated outside of NeoGAF (it didn't) I'm not really sure what impact people expected it to have.

This is pretty crazy for its 4th year.

Aren't the 3rd/4th years for consoles usually their best? Stock issues (if any) have been sorted out at that point and price drops have made the system easier to purchase for a lot of people, but the system's not yet in the shadow of its successor. Right about now in the PS4's life seems like it would be primetime for most consoles.

That said, I've never bothered to see if data actually backs this up.

2017 Best Sellers:
1.Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
2.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*

Damnnnn &#128562;&#128562;&#128562; Holiday season is going to be insane for the Switch.

Floody

Should Microsoft revive their dormant franchises like Perfect Dark, Banjo etc. Isn't it the perfect time?

I think a Banjo collection like the Crash one would do well. Especially if MS were really crazy and put it on the Switch too. Outside of that I think another fresh new I.P to go with Sea of Thieves (something that MS don't really offer) would be their best route to take, leave shooters to Halo, Gears and 3rd party.

Top Bottom