• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
velvet_nitemare said:
Haven't gotten JC2 from gamefly, but impressions have been generally positive. It was a very competitive month, but i expected at least 1 version in the top 20.
I think GAF likes open world games more than the general public. I guess this can't really be proven either way, but I think most popular games are linear experiences. Stuff like Mario and Call of Duty. GTA is probably the lone exception? Maybe open world games are too daunting for most?

Saty

HR was released in Feburary, how early did you want it to be? January had MAG.
Anyhow, good showing for Heavy Rain.

Ouch, Metro 2033 and JC2 nowhere to be seen. SupCom 2 of course no-show as well, but no surprise there. Guess we can hope the PC version of the 3 games carried some of the slack.

comedy bomb said:
I think it's selling poorly because fans of Nintendo are only used to having one or two good third party titles to choose from per year. We are already double that this year!
Or just plain stopped looking at 3rd party titles. The tendency for crap is too high.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Y2Kev said:
I think GAF likes open world games more than the general public. I guess this can't really be proven either way, but I think most popular games are linear experiences. Stuff like Mario and Call of Duty. GTA is probably the lone exception? Maybe open world games are too daunting for most?

Or it came out really late in a very strong month.

EmCeeGramr said:
Another issue would be that a lot of gamers bought Wiis in the early days on the promise of something like Red Steel 2, and what they got were Red Steel 1 and other wagglefests that drove away consumers and third-party developers alike.

That first year of the Wii really hurt it in terms of third-parties. If things had gone differently, the situation today might have been quite different as well.

I think people tend to forget how bad the Wii's first 2 years were. The droughts were ridiculous and were usually halted by games like Resident Evil: Wii Edition.

Porthos said:
Yes, but sports team lovers still love the sport and would go see other teams play given the chance.

No they wouldn't. :lol

Swittcher said:
Isn't it weird that Yazkua 3 totally bombs in spectacular fashion, but no one is ever gonna mention it to Sega, ever again? "Why did Yakuza 3 do so poorly?"

But in 3 months, Sega's still going to be giving interviews about how badly mismatched Madworld was for the Wii audience.
:lol Needs to be quoted again.

Cornbread78

Anyonone know where White Knight Chronicles ended up? Is there a sales figure anywhere? just curious...

Oh and this is a great showing for PS3 Owners. It definately shows they are doign well for themselves right now. The Xbox number will pick up when the nwe Halo and GoW hit the shelves.

Y2Kev said:

For JC3, they need a whore house where u can go to refill HP, then afterward you can use the grappling hook to get your money back. Day 1 right there.

Let's get a list of games released last month not in the top 20

SMT:SJ
Just Cause 2 (PS360)
Yakuza 3
Metro 2033
Red Steel 2
Resonance of Fate (PS360)
Infinite Space
Supreme Commander 2

anything else?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Im completely shocked that Just Cause 2 didn't crack the top 20, especially since it was number one in the UK, besting the Pokemon games.

Damn shame too.

And given the great legs the God of War collection has had, I wonder if GOWIII will do the same?

Pooya

velvet_nitemare said:

Just Cause 2 (PS360)
Yakuza 3
Metro 2033
Red Steel 2

anything else?
SupCom 2 (360)

velvet_nitemare said:

Just Cause 2 (PS360)
Yakuza 3
Metro 2033
Red Steel 2

anything else?

The only one suprising for me on that list not making it is JC2. The rest couldn't have been expected to sell too well.

GoW Collection :bow:

This and 3 should continue to sell well for a while. Great 2nd month for Heavy Rain also.

Sanic

Man God said:

Probably. I thought they advertised it well enough. The important thing, though, is that it's apparently doing well enough to keep the developer (Avalanche) afloat.

velvet_nitemare said:

Just Cause 2 (PS360)
Yakuza 3
Metro 2033
Red Steel 2
Infinite Space
Supreme Commander 2

anything else?
Calling (Wii).

I'm almost scared to find out how badly that one bombed.

Screw March releases, some high profile releases from Feb (including last month's number 1) are nowhere to be found in the top 20 this month, despite big fall releases from 09 still lingering. No legs for BioShock 2?

How common is it that the previous month's chart topper is out of the top twenty in the following month's NPD?

Other top twenty shows last month (Dante, AvP, MAG and ME2) are also absent.

Edit: For grammar/punctuation. Yup, I'm just that crazy.

evangd007

Andrex said:
Wait, did RS2 get outsold by TvC? :lol

TvC had a good commercial and is part of a better franchise.

I'm not too worried about Red Steel 2's sales. It will probably do better in Europe because of the more attention the press is giving it there and I sincerely believe that it will have a long tail, because unlike the other Wii games that people said would have legs, Red Steel 2 is actually good.

comedy bomb said:
I know people get laughed at for "loving" a console manufacturer, but I really don't see it as being any different than "loving" a sports team.

Comparing console fanaticism to sports team fanaticism does not in any way make either more acceptable.

Boney

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:

Just Cause 2 (PS360)
Yakuza 3
Metro 2033
Red Steel 2
Infinite Space
Supreme Commander 2

anything else?
Wario Ware DIY

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Linkzg said:
if there isn't a Just Cause 3 I'll be pissed off

JC2 is so much fun
Fear not!

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34329/Just-Cause-sequel-promising-as-Avalanche-rejoices

“We are absolutely interested in working with the Just Cause IP again,” he said.

“I personally wrote the original pitch for the game in early 2003, so it’s something that means s lot for me and for the people in this studio.

“The studio lives and breathes the Just Cause franchise, and handing that over to another developer would spoil it. No one has the attachment to this IP as we do.”

In claiming number one in the ELSPA GfK Chart-Track All Formats Top 40 this week, Just Cause 2 proved Avalanche’s capacity to deliver big hits, sundberg said.

“We couldn’t be happier, it’s been amazing for us."

Ricker

Isn`t Wal-Mart not included in those numbers? a lot of people probably bought it from them because it had a launch sale for 3 days I think,at 39 bucks....just saying,i`m really surprised this game is not in the top 20...The Calling I can understand but JC2?....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
evangd007 said:
TvC had a good commercial and is part of a better franchise.

I'm not too worried about Red Steel 2's sales. It will probably do better in Europe because of the more attention the press is giving it there and I sincerely believe that it will have a long tail, because unlike the other Wii games that people said would have legs, Red Steel 2 is actually good.

Actually, comparing first month numbers it seems they sold about equally, although TvC was only available for 5 days and RS2 was available for 12.

sillymonkey321 said:
Or weren't looking to begin with.

This is slightly correct and so was what it replied too. There weren't some 60+ million nintendo fanboys before the Wii. The Wii audience converged on buying Nintendo games as even Nintendo's casual titles are very entertaining. However, both core and casual titles from Third parties have been mostly mediocre to outright bad. Therefore, Nintendo has a market that is guaranteed to buy their well advertised titles, and third party games are now mostly coin tosses as to whether they will be successful or not for the most part though advertising and a good game can still rake in decent sales like with Tatsunoko vs Capcom, House of the Dead, and Wiiware games like World of Goo.

Y2Kev

Man God said:
I didn't mention JC2 anywhere in that post. I am talking more about the genre as a whole. What are some successful open world franchises?

Sanic

Y2Kev said:
I didn't mention JC2 anywhere in that post. I am talking more about the genre as a whole. What are some successful open world franchises?

Succesful open world games in the traditional sense, off the top of my head, this generation:

Prototype
Red Faction: Guerilla
GTA IV
Crackdown
Saints Row 1+2

Plus you have genre convergence, so you have many games with open world elements. Assasins' Creed, Far Cry 2, etc. And there are other games, such as Bully, but i'm not sure how well they performed. I wouldn't say the genre is in any kind of decline.

Pooya

Y2Kev said:
Assassins Creed
Bully
Mafia 1 sold a few million copies.
soon Red Dead Redemption.

Y2Kev

Pandoracell said:
Succesful open world games in the traditional sense, off the top of my head, this generation:

Prototype
Red Faction: Guerilla
GTA IV
Crackdown
Saints Row 1+2

Plus you have genre convergence, so you have many games with open world elements. Assasins' Creed, Far Cry 2, etc. I wouldn't say the genre is in any kind of decline.
Hmm, yeah. This is more than I thought there were. I'm not saying the genre is in decline. I did say, though, that linear experiences may appeal to a wider audience. I think that might be true.

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
How common is it that the previous month's chart topper is out of the top twenty in the following month's NPD?
If Bioshock 2 not recharting shocked you you are gonna have a fucking heart attack next month.

Mrbob

The GoW Collection has helped bolster GoW3 sales. I saw this from the gamasutra article:

This is the fourth month for God of War Collection to make the top 20, and the game has sold over 650,000 units in the U.S. since its November launch, according to NPD.

A million sold will be a lock for the title. More collections have to be coming, especially after this one is at 650K and counting. GoW Collection has been a massive success. Even if other collections sell a fraction of GoW it would have to be easy money.

Mrbob said:
The GoW Collection has helped bolster GoW3 sales. I saw this from the gamasutra article:

A million sold will be a lock for the title. More collections have to be coming, especially after this one is at 650K and counting. GoW Collection has been a massive success. Even if other collections sell a fraction of GoW it would have to be easy money.

wipeoutcollectionwipeoutcollectionwipeoutcollection

Man

Ico and SOTC collection. The number of GOW collections sold. The ICO series director wanting a collection to release. One of the top desires on PS.Blog.Share. It is going to happen. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just shed a tear after seeing that Just Cause 2 didn't chart.
I think it'll do decent over time, I know that the first month is the big one but in JC2's case I think that word of mouth/youtube will drive gamers to buy it over the next couple months. It didn't help that it came out around the same time as a few big franchises.
Still, sub 100K is rough and I was expecting at least a little better. Not only do I want to see a good game sell but I've heard some chatter about Avalanche's future being iffy so I definitely want this game to be a success.

I don't know how to GIF so I'll just post this video of Rico getting crushed by a spinning car since it's sort of symbolic of JC2's sales performance.

Zen

Banned
So Heavy Rain is > 319K in America right now. Those are some pretty good legs fora title that sold 219k in its first month.

Owzers

mugurumakensei said:
This is slightly correct and so was what it replied too. There weren't some 60+ million nintendo fanboys before the Wii. The Wii audience converged on buying Nintendo games as even Nintendo's casual titles are very entertaining. However, both core and casual titles from Third parties have been mostly mediocre to outright bad. Therefore, Nintendo has a market that is guaranteed to buy their well advertised titles, and third party games are now mostly coin tosses as to whether they will be successful or not for the most part though advertising and a good game can still rake in decent sales like with Tatsunoko vs Capcom, House of the Dead, and Wiiware games like World of Goo.

I don't think the majority of Wii's audience is interested in anything past Nintendo titles and fun looking casual games. I also believe a lot of the core audience on Wii owns another system and Wii's core titles have to compete with titles on the other platforms. I passed on Red Steel 2 and bought God of War 3 and FFXIII. Next month i am getting Monster Hunter 3 though.

Top Bottom