• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

charlequin said:
Does it make me old-fashioned that I don't consider strong sales for a no-added-features HD upport of old software, released for a console that had its backwards-compatibility unceremoniously stripped out, to be a good thing?
As long as it's the cream of the crop that are getting new releases that peg them at 60fps, I don't think I'd complain. Enough of them, and I might drop the cash on a PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
wizword said:
Monster Hunter 3 is the next absurd game that people are hoping to see on npd thread just for the realization like red steel 2 and mad world will sell poorly. But I expect monster hunter 3 sales to be poor for other reasons as well.

I think it's going to do pretty well. Not crazy insane numbers, but I think it will break 100K.

schuelma said:
I think it's going to do pretty well. Not crazy insane numbers, but I think it will break 100K.

That would be pretty pathetic if it's in that ball park. Aren't Nintendo helping Capcom advertise it? Also, how did the PS2 MH games do for comparison?

Anyway, that number would put it in the neighborhood of games like The Conduit(I know it didn't break 100k in it's debut month), not other well advertised games like Just Dance, although that might have a bigger audience on the Wii than a game like MH.

mujun said:

Wasn't that just a GI web survey? Not real proof but basically just a poll on their website?

EDIT: NVM, it just mentions the GI interview, that still is only 500,000. I'm not saying it doesn't fail a lot (I'm on my 2nd) and a couple of my friends have replaced theirs ... but 42% seems incredibly high.

At least MS pays for it.

schuelma

velvet_nitemare said:
That would be pretty pathetic if it's in that ball park. Aren't Nintendo helping Capcom advertise it? Also, how did the PS2 MH games do for comparison?

My buddy Segata can confirm, but I think the upper limit of all Monster Hunter games in N.A is about 150K LTD. That's why I have such low expectations, though I agree Capcom is marketing it pretty heavily.

schuelma said:
My buddy Segata can confirm, but I think the upper limit of all Monster Hunter games in N.A is about 150K LTD. That's why I have such low expectations, though I agree Capcom is marketing it pretty heavily.

That gives some context. There's no denying that the game has effort put into it, and is being given a decent advertising push. Not sure if it has local MP, but the online implementation is solid and free. MH on consoles hasn't been a great seller in NA, but either way, the numbers will be interesting.

Sanic

charlequin said:
Does it make me old-fashioned that I don't consider strong sales for a no-added-features HD upport of old software, released for a console that had its backwards-compatibility unceremoniously stripped out, to be a good thing?

I think as long as the pricing is right, it's ok. Aren't/weren't GoW I + II both $20 new? So getting them both on BD for $40 (now $30, even better) is just fine. But I don't nesecarily think it's fair to pay $60 for two games to be rereleased with nothing but a higher definition and framerate.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
schuelma said:

Hrm, 200-250k is what I think it may do. The commercials are good, quirky, they show off the game, and push the multiplayer aspect. Plus don't forget GameStop's demo disc.

velvet_nitemare said:
That gives some context. There's no denying that the game has effort put into it, and is being given a decent advertising push. Not sure if it has local MP, but the online implementation is solid and free. MH on consoles hasn't been a great seller in NA, but either way, the numbers will be interesting.

It does have local splitscreen co-op, and I even think you can go online with two players on the same console.

I do wonder how they were able to achieve such a thing, the graphics are fantastic and from what I think I know, doing splitscreen also requires lots of extra power. Iwata was right to shovel praise on the game's graphics.

schuelma

Andrex said:
Hrm, 200-250k is what I think it may do. The commercials are good, quirky, they show off the game, and push the multiplayer aspect; plus don't forget GameStop's demo disc.

Definitely could happen, just think the gameplay is still going to be a major limitation.

Vagabundo said:
I think the Wii "core" 3rd party market - whatever that means - is done for this gen. It was left to wither and die by 3rd parties. Ah well back to playing through NSMBWii.

Which raises the question, where are my 3rd party 2D games? Theoretically, 2D games should represent everything 3rd parties want on the Wii; cheap development, a straightforward design strategy, no need for motion controls, and a large, easy to understand audience. I don't know why this macro genre is being ignored.

And save the argument about NSMB selling because it's Mario. When you look at the sales CHASM between 2D Mario games and 3D Mario games, it's obviously not the IP that is making the difference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
schuelma said:
Definitely could happen, just think the gameplay is still going to be a major limitation.

True, and the MH legacy could be more of a hamstring than a boon. But while I don't know if I'd base predictions on it, the Iwata Asks for the game revealed they paid special attention to the Wiimote+Nunchuk controls and making things accessible for "core" gamers new to the series (not to be confused with "casuals" looking to get into it.) And I didn't hear many complaints after people played the demo discs, though then again, this is NeoGAF.

AniHawk

rayner said:
Great numbers for all... almost looks like OCT sales for Software.

March is always big. It's five weeks, plus it has whatever last games some companies need out before the end of their fiscal year (Nintendo: Pokemon, Sony: God of War).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kame-sennin said:
Which raises the question, where are my 3rd party 2D games?

Muramasa, Boy and His Blob, Klonoa, World of Goo, LostWinds 1/2, some others... Sonic 4 and Kiwi are upcoming.

Problem is most of those bombed. Muramasa did OK for itself and World of Goo did great, but we haven't heard any good things about the rest...

Pandoracell said:
I think as long as the pricing is right, it's ok.

Yeah. Just to clarify, I'm not saying it's terrible to put a small number of these collections out for the most significant franchises (this one was really a well-thought-out ad for GoW3 and I'm sure it helped boost hype for that title); I'm not saying it's wrong to buy them (if I'd owned a PS3, even a BC one, I would've waited for the collection instead of finally buying God of War 2 for PS2 last year); I'm really only saying that I'm not sure actively celebrating the success of such collections and hoping for an outpouring of more such collections so that one can replace their "useless" last-gen games with new copies is really sensible.

Willy105 said:
No, it's more like a paradise with a transparent wall.

Every time they look past the wall, they see the best selling games of all time continue to sell and never leave. They want to be on the other side of that wall.

The door to cross that wall blends in with the transparent wall, so publishers just keep bumping against the wall.

Once in a few times, with some actual effort by feeling the ridges of the wall can they find the door and open it, but most just keep either complaining the wall is there or taking advice from people who think they know where the door is, just to splat against the wall at high speed.

This is the greatest analogy I've ever read in my entire life :lol

AniHawk

kame-sennin said:
Which raises the question, where are my 3rd party 2D games? Theoretically, 2D games should represent everything 3rd parties want on the Wii; cheap development, a straightforward design strategy, no need for motion controls, and a large, easy to understand audience. I don't know why this macro genre is being ignored.

And save the argument about NSMB selling because it's Mario. When you look at the sales CHASM between 2D Mario games and 3D Mario games, it's obviously not the IP that is making the difference.

To be totally fair, the only 2D game to do even remotely well on the Wii aside from NSMBW was Wario Land. I doubt any of the others (Muramasa, Klonoa, A Boy and his Blob) broke 100k. Part of the draw behind NSMBW is that it's multiplayer too.

That said, despite however Sonic 4 might turn out, Sega's missing a fucking huge opportunity by not releasing it as a disc, at least for the Wii version, and advertising the hell out of it.

Andrex said:
Muramasa, Boy and His Blob, Klonoa, World of Goo, LostWinds 1/2, some others... Sonic 4 and Kiwi are upcoming.

Problem is most of those bombed. Muramasa did OK for itself and World of Goo did great, but we haven't heard any good things about the rest...

Those aren't really mainstream games though. That'd be like judging action games by the performance of Bayonetta. Also, all of those games came out before NSMBW. Now that Mario is driving that audience, mass market 2D games have a much better chance of reaching people.

And Sonic is not going to do anything as a downloadable episodic game. I was excited about it until Sega announced their approach. More evidence that 3rd parties don't see 2D games as equal to 3D games; even a legacy franchise like Sonic is relegated to the online gaming ghetto.

Massa

charlequin said:
They're really not.

They really are. The GOW collection provides something much more valuable to me than just a couple of PS2 games running on a PS3; they look and run a hell of a lot better. The more games available with these improvements the better. It won't affect my ability to play the original PS2 games in any way.

charlequin said:

Maybe you have a better TV than I do. :p I keep a 20" CRT around just for those consoles.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
schuelma said:
I think it will do better than that. Capcom has been advertising it for 3 weeks on TV now. They are definitely trying to drum up hype for it. Wouldn't be surprised to see it at the bottom of the NPD top 10 for April. April is pretty empty outside of Splinter Cell.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
truly101 said:
I think it will do better than that. Capcom has been advertising it for 3 weeks on TV now. They are definitely trying to drum up hype for it. Wouldn't be surprised to see it at the bottom of the NPD top 10 for April. April is pretty empty outside of Splinter Cell.
They're billing LP2 already too. That game should do AT LEAST 200k on 360 (conservative guess) and 150k on PS3. It should easily do those numbers.

wizword

Banned
Andrex said:
Hrm, 200-250k is what I think it may do. The commercials are good, quirky, they show off the game, and push the multiplayer aspect. Plus don't forget GameStop's demo disc.

It does have local splitscreen co-op, and I even think you can go online with two players on the same console.

I do wonder how they were able to achieve such a thing, the graphics are fantastic and from what I think I know, doing splitscreen also requires lots of extra power. Iwata was right to shovel praise on the game's graphics.
That is more than metroid prime 3 first month.

wizword said:
That is more than metroid prime 3 first month.

200-250k is in the range of what metroid prime 3 did first month. MP3 first month was 218k in the U.S. though it went on to sell more than 1 million world wide. U.S. is at least half if not more of that so ~600k sales in the U.S. at minimum.

Jomjom

Banned
Massa said:
They really are. The GOW collection provides something much more valuable to me than just a couple of PS2 games running on a PS3; they look and run a hell of a lot better. The more games available with these improvements the better. It won't affect my ability to play the original PS2 games in any way.

Maybe you have a better TV than I do. :p I keep a 20" CRT around just for those consoles.

Also trophies!!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Zen said:
For context

First Month
God of War II 833k
Final Fantasy XII 896K

Although FFXIII would have done better on the PS3 if it was the only platform selling it, obviously. I'm not sure if it would have beaten 1.1 Million though, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

Final Fantasy XIII combined 1,322,100

It looks like FFXIII will outsell XII worldwide? The increase in US sales more than accounts for the minor decrease in Japan.
PS360 games have never been known for having great legs... especially when compared to their PS2 counterparts. I highly doubt FFXIII will ever cross 2 million, in which case, it won't surpass FFXII either.

LiquidMetal14 said:
They're billing LP2 already too. That game should do AT LEAST 200k on 360 (conservative guess) and 150k on PS3. It should easily do those numbers.
The 360 version of LP2 should do better than those numbers easily.

Kusagari

LiquidMetal14 said:

360 LP2 should be over 400k first month or I'd be disappointed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
jvm said:
Two things I didn't see mentioned here. Sorry if I missed them.
  • DSi XL sold 141K in its launch month, according to Michael Pachter.
  • Top 20 is up! Story here.
    npd-top-20-mar-2010.png

GOTCHA! :D

Wow Heavy Rain is doing quite well, might have to order it now.

Slavik81

amtentori said:
50k for RS2 is truly amazing. This amount shows no one fucking cared. Not core Wii owners (the ones that will buy MG2 and MtoM in the next few months. Not multiconsole owners. Not the people who bought MW:reflex (probably close to 1M ww at this point)

Conduit did better than this in its first month.
Madworld did better than this in its first month.
Games like Muramasa probably got close (i think it did 35k or something)
NMH2 did about the same.
TvC beat it.

It is just so random. Can it really be simply a userbase problem when something even more niche like TcV outsell it? It is just crazy. RS2 isnt even M rated.
It's not random. Red Steel 1 was horrible and it would take quite a bit to convince me to buy another game in that series. A million people bought the original based on concept and most of them were disappointed.

Burned once, twice shy.

Curufinwe

Chrange said:
lol - you're using a survey as a reliable data source for console failures?

That's all anyone but Microsoft can use. For some reason, they haven't officially the released the failure rate of the 360.

Red Steel 2 didn't even crack top 20? Damn, I guess the p.o.s that was Red Steel 1 really ruined the reputation for the franchise. I'm looking forward to the Just Dance sequels.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
thanks for the RS2 numbers.

I wanna start this short post by saying that yes, it's impossible to resonate and satisfy everyone, but in my opinion, Ubisoft did so much right with Red Steel 2 that it's a shame it did so poorly, and this is why Wii owners don't deserve nice things.

and Tom Salta rules.

Top Bottom