• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
PS3, Wii and 360 are actually up from last year. Hard to believe.

DS is almost half of last year, PSP is about the same.

TheOddOne

Opiate said:
2) The 360 is the leading revenue generator of all current gen consoles both in this month and in this year. This is after 2009, where the Wii took the lead: that means the 360 had the lead, lost to the Wii, and then took it back. While the 360 is currently a system in decline worldwide, it is holding steady in the US while the Wii has fallen off significantly.
Suprising indeed.

Skiesofwonder said:
So we should expect over 500k again for next month (I'm guessing Reggie would be talking about USA).
Even if he wasn't the rest of NA makes up what, 10-15% of total NA sales for Nintendo? So it still should be somewhat close to 500k in the US for June even if the number Reggie gave was for all of NA.

That would make sense anyways. Many Nintendo titles seem to do first week sales numbers, or even higher, for their second month. Though of course SMG2 won't have the legs of NSMBW or MKWii.

magnificent83 said:
interesting that none of the arcade racers charted. I guess they cannibalized at each others' sales. Hopefully, next time some one will realize its stupid to release all of the racers in the same damn month.
Pretty much. Still, at least one of them has to make the top 20...right?

Parham

Banned
I feel sorry for the guys at Bizarre Creations. Neither of their two new IPs, The Club and Blur, have performed that well at all.

SapientWolf said:
I imagine that people got burnt out on the beta. I sure did. And yeah, there were a lot of games fighting for the arcade racer pie, in a down economy no less.
Being unable to place higher than 12th for dozens of races sure killed any interest for me. S/S on the other hand felt like a really old Burnout game. I think I'm content to wait till next-gen for my arcade racer fix.

So Alan Wake probably did less than 100k then ? That's terrible :/ I feel so sorry for Remedy, game is not perfect but it deserved to be in the top 5 at least. I really hope that we'll still get a sequel.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Brimstone said:
I don't keep exact tabs on NPD data but if I recall correctly.

Shadowrun > Banjo Kazooie *Banjo released a year later & at a lower price*
Shadowrun > Too Human *Released a year later*
Shadowrun > Allan Wake *Released two years later*
How did you get that tag anyway? Ban bet? The game was pretty decent but the Shadowrun drama was amazing.

TheFatOne

Kilrogg said:
Hm? I haven't played the game (only watched a friend play it... Hated the cutscenes and characters, but other than that, no opinion). Could you tell me what's wrong with the game once you reach that point?

PSP looking good.

it's basically the same mission over and over again, and the characters are horrible.

What happened to PS3 hardware sales Jesus. It's sad too they didn't capitalize when freaking FFXIII and God of War 3 came out. smh, Sony.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sad to see the PSP bombing, especially as it gears up for one of its best years yet software wise in the US... this worries me, lots of great games are getting announced for Japan, and it's doubtful we're even gonna end up getting them here in the west :(

Busaiku

Opiate said:
2) The 360 is the leading revenue generator of all current gen consoles both in this month and in this year. This is after 2009, where the Wii took the lead: that means the 360 had the lead, lost to the Wii, and then took it back. While the 360 is currently a system in decline worldwide, it is holding steady in the US while the Wii has fallen off significantly.
It's certainly somewhat surprising, but definitely not that much.
The new bundle includes a $50 game, which just last month sold over 150k.

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
Hm? I haven't played the game (only watched a friend play it... Hated the cutscenes and characters, but other than that, no opinion). Could you tell me what's wrong with the game once you reach that point?

It's like all the game's QC testing was applied only for the first portion of the game. Mexico was a glitchy, unfun mess. Everything before then was fine - it ran really consistently - and I hit Mexico and it just became nigh unplayable.

Really disappointing. And yes, the cutscenes and characters aren't especially intriguing, but I enjoyed the gameplay overall.

TheFatOne said:
it's basically the same mission over and over again, and the characters are horrible.

This too.

[Nintex]

vicissitudes said:
What happened to PS3 hardware sales Jesus. It's sad too they didn't capitalize when freaking FFXIII and God of War 3 came out. smh, Sony.
Shortages man and marketing aimed at people who already own your system twice and lol at the competition works really well!

djtiesto said:
Sad to see the PSP bombing, especially as it gears up for one of its best years yet software wise in the US... this worries me, lots of great games are getting announced for Japan, and it's doubtful we're even gonna end up getting them here in the west :(
I really hope we get The Last Ranker. :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
user_nat said:
PS3, Wii and 360 are actually up from last year. Hard to believe.

DS is almost half of last year, PSP is about the same.
At what universe?

NPD May '09
PlayStation 2 117K
PlayStation 3 131K
PSP 100.4K
Xbox 360 175K
Wii 289.5K
Nintendo DS 633.5K

VALIS

SapientWolf said:
I imagine that people got burnt out on the beta. I sure did. And yeah, there were a lot of games fighting for the arcade racer pie, in a down economy no less.

I guess, but in years past I could see a game like Blur doing 400K in a month.

If the slump continues, I wonder if $60 games are gonna go back to $50. So many cheaper entertainment options these days.

corkscrewblow said:
Yea man, nobody is going to buy RDR in the coming months. You're totally right.
Most people were not arguing that RDR did better than SMG2, they were arguing that you're glad that it "DESTROOOYED" SMG2.

TheFatOne

Vinci said:
It's like all the game's QC testing was applied only for the first portion of the game. Mexico was a glitchy, unfun mess. Everything before then was fine - it ran really consistently - and I hit Mexico and it just became nigh unplayable.

Really disappointing. And yes, the cutscenes and characters aren't especially intriguing, but I enjoyed the gameplay overall.

This too.

the reason I stopped playing RDR was because of Mexico. It was just awful, and I don't see myself finishing the game anytime soon. The first part was great though.

Vinci

Danish
Opus Angelorum said:
So next month...Xbox 360 S >Wii?

Is there a price-drop to accompany the Slim?

TheFatOne said:
the reason I stopped playing RDR was because of Mexico. It was just awful, and I don't see myself finishing the game anytime soon. The first part was great though.

I traded it in and bought my best friend his birthday present - Demon's Souls. :D

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Chris1964 said:
At what universe?

NPD May '09
PlayStation 2 117K
PlayStation 3 131K
PSP 100.4K
Xbox 360 175K
Wii 289.5K
Nintendo DS 633.5K

Yeah I guess that wasn't clear, I meant same a DS.. so half.

Vinci said:
Is there a price-drop to accompany the Slim?

Existing Arcades and Elites got $50 off. So $150/$250 + $300 Shiny model.

Mileena

Banned
Souldriver said:
Most people were not arguing that RDR did better than SMG2, they were arguing that you're glad that it "DESTROOOYED" SMG2.
I'm happy it sold more considering I was expecting SMG2 to "DESTROOOOOY" RDR (and everything else in May). Is there something wrong with that?

[Nintex] said:
Shortages man and marketing aimed at people who already own your system twice and lol at the competition works really well!

Yeah, that is a good point actually. Kevin Butler seems to be wildly successful among the userbase that already exists on the PS3, but it's a campaign that doesn't seem to be drawing in new audiences...

dexterslu

Really shocked to see the THQ numbers that low, felt like their marketing blitz had taken some notes right out of EA Sports annual Madden blitz. I wonder if this could be some foreshadowing to some really low NCAA and Madden sales this year..

corkscrewblow said:
I'm happy it sold more considering I was expecting SMG2 to "DESTROOOOOY" RDR (and everything else in May). Is there something wrong with that?

No, but I (or anyone else in this topic) don't think you really get what we're saying.
RDR is what we call a front loaded title.
While SMG2 is something that will be charting for months to come.
Meaning, RDR won the initial battle, but it's already lost the war.

corkscrewblow said:
Pretty much yes. It's a stupid mindset. Just be happy that a good game sold well, don't be happy that it sold better than another good game.

Vinci

Danish
corkscrewblow said:

Why would SMG2 destroy RDR in sales in their introductory month? That's not how these things work. I would've been amazed if SMG2 had outsold RDR in the first month.

Top Bottom