• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
corkscrewblow said:
I'm happy it sold more considering I was expecting SMG2 to "DESTROOOOOY" RDR (and everything else in May). Is there something wrong with that?
Yes, you suck at predictions.

Bum numbers.

We get last months in what? Two weeks?

EDIT

Also, lol at guy in the last thread demanding to know why the 360 still outsells the PS3.

jman2050

corkscrewblow said:
I'm happy it sold more considering I was expecting SMG2 to "DESTROOOOOY" RDR (and everything else in May). Is there something wrong with that?

It's silly childish nonsense, so if you don't find something wrong with that then I guess no.

Not to mention is demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of how game sales work.

knitoe

Isn't May a slow month? What were the numbers last year? RDR pretty much took most of the sales. Should have release AW early in ther year or what until this holiday to release. Still, it's my current GOTY.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Okay you got your early RDR sales.... unleash the PC port!

lol at Alan Wake. Poor Remedy.

Busaiku

corkscrewblow said:
Big Nintendo titles tend to have legs.
That means they tend to sell relatively the same amount month after month, or with little drop offs.

In the case of Red Dead Redemption, expect its sales to drop by 60%+ next month. This is the case with most big games on 360/PS3.

corkscrewblow said:
Ah, so it is your first time. Well AceBandage, Vinci, and Chris1964 have a done a good job teaching you so I don't have to bother.

[Nintex]

Vinci said:
Again, I'm asking: Is the 360 Slim accompanied by a price drop?
Nope! Were there any pre-orders? Nope! Did MS just copy the Saturn launch strategy without games? Yes they did, oh yes they did.

Vinci

Danish
BenjaminBirdie said:
Technically, yes. All the Phat 360s got $50 price cuts.

Then yes, it should outsell the Wii.

[Nintex] said:
Nope! Were there any pre-orders? Nope! Did MS just copy the Saturn launch strategy without games? Yes they did, oh yes they did.

:lol

FrankT

Opiate said:
2) The 360 is the leading revenue generator of all current gen consoles both in this month and in this year. This is after 2009, where the Wii took the lead: that means the 360 had the lead, lost to the Wii, and then took it back. While the 360 is currently a system in decline worldwide, it is holding steady in the US while the Wii has fallen off significantly.

It's coming off the best first quarter it's ever had in the US so yea 5 years in it's more than holding steady.

TheOddOne said:

I doubt it as well, but after Feb there maybe a slim chance it happens again. I could see Aug/Sept being really big with the intro of the new Arcade in or around Reach.

Vinci said:

The older models got a price drop (the most notable being the Arcade to $150).
There are also multiple stores that will be trying to clear out stock so they'll offer gift cards with it (I believe Walmart offered a $50 gift card with the system).

VALIS

Vinci said:

The old models were dropped by $50 each, I think.

360 will outsell Wii for June, but that will likely be the only month.

Personally I was hoping for more with RDR. 1.5million in the first month and considering sales will be heavily front-loaded, I doubt it'll make sell 4 million this year. It deserves a lot more. Slightly surprised about how hard AW bombed. 360 doing well against the PS3 also

Vinci said:

If the Xbox 360 can sell this well in May, with people fully aware that a new model is imminent...I'm of the opinion the Xbox 360 S combined with the newly reduced Arcade will sell quite a bit more.

Are the PSP Go numbers amalgamated with the PSP?

Look. I don't care if you like RDR or SMG or AW or Blur or whatever. As gamers, these numbers are pathetic. As gamers, we have failed our industry. But as gamers, we can make it up. It's up to everyone in this thread to go out and buy a copy of Sin and Punishment 2. That is our only way of righting this wrong.

VALIS said:

I don't even know about that. It seems like the stock on the slims has been...slim? I could be wrong, it could only be for GameStop because of that trade in deal.

Opus Angelorum said:
If the Xbox 360 can sell this well in May, with people fully aware that a new model is imminent...I'm of the opinion the Xbox 360 S combined with the newly reduced Arcade will sell quite a bit more.

No one knew when the new model would come out, though...
So, that's kind of a moot point.

Freezie KO said:
Look. I don't care if you like RDR or SMG or AW or Blur or whatever. As gamers, these numbers are pathetic. As gamers, we have failed our industry. But as gamers, we can make it up. It's up to everyone in this thread to go out and buy a copy of Sin and Punishment 2. That is our only way of righting this wrong.

This man.
He speaks the truth.

Vinci

Danish
VALIS said:

That's why I was asking. Without a price-drop, the 360 Slim might not have outsold the Wii for even a month though.

Kandrick said:
The return of th.... oh wait.

VALIS said:
Pre-slim, pre-price drop 360 outselling the PS3 by ~25%. This forum is going to fucking freak the rest of this year when it's outselling the PS3 1.5:1

I'm just wondering what happened to the sales boost from demand on supply constrained PS3's.

Averon

Should EA be concerned with Madden's futures sales? Going by Undisputed's massive drop, it doesn't seem like yearly updates for $60 a piece is acceptable anymore.

Busaiku

Opus Angelorum said:
No one knew of 360 slim until E3.

Majmun

Freezie KO said:

Yes, but buy Alan Wake first.

ampere

Great sales for Galaxy, I adore the game. Too bad Alan Wake didn't sell more, hopefully it continues to sell. I have just played the first chapter and it's fantastic.

Busaiku said:
No one knew of 360 slim until E3.
To be fair we (GAF, and anyone who reads Kotaku) all knew about it.

Vinci

Danish
Averon said:
Should EA be concerned with Madden's futures sales? Going by Undisputed's massive drop, it doesn't seem like yearly updates from $60 a piece isn't acceptable anymore.

Good. Should die in a fire.

Jtyettis said:
It's a doozy no doubt about it.

Oh yea and LP1 to LP2 comparison should be interesting.

Painful, more like. I feel pretty bad for a few of the games that bombed this month. Pushing all of those games back from Q4 last year was evidently a bad idea.

[Nintex] said:

Except that this is nothing like the Saturn launch because the 360 was released 5 years ago and there's something to the tune of several hundred games released for it already.

But yeah, other than that, it's exactly like the Saturn releas.

:lol

Jigsaw

Banned
thank god lost planet 2 bombed,such an awful game,i regret my 25€ i paid 2 weeks after release...its so bad i didnt even complete it yet

FrankT

Freezie KO said:

We'll make it up alright. See used sales are a significant drain on the SW market thread.

Also did we not get an overall snapshot YoY dollar wise?

Vinci

Danish
Opus Angelorum said:
Not exactly.

No-one knew when it would be released, but it was certainly known to exist (unofficially).

I still say that, without a price-drop, the 360 Slim would not outsell the Wii. With the price-drop, it will. For one month.

Busaiku

Averon said:
Should EA be concerned with Madden's futures sales? Going by Undisputed's massive drop, it doesn't seem like yearly updates from $60 a piece isn't acceptable anymore.
Madden was definitely impacted last year.
I think besides maybe FIFA, everything will see significant declines.

Top Bottom