• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

starmud

more so interesting to see next month for wiiu, with a full month of MK8... didn't really expect anything over 70k given how late in the month the game launched.

Great for mk8 but man I was hoping this was the month that it would outsell the Xbox one. Doesn't seem to be the case

Let's see how much the ps4 slowed down during the slow months of the year.

GulAtiCa

Not surprised at Wii U HW, never really expected it to explode in sales. All I hope is that with MK8 out, the next few months will be up compared to last year's months.

Wonder what Vita HW sales will be like. It was like 3K for April right?

Xbone price cut didn't take effect here. Next NPDs will see the return of the king.

tumblr_m7ge2sfyzA1qf8btso1_400.gif

It's going to be interesting to see if the price cut has legs.

Anth0ny

huh, 64k?

Is that good considering Kart was out for 2 days? Does pre-launch hype usually create higher hardware sales, or are people just waiting for the bundle to launch? If it's the latter, then I can imagine most of those sales happened during the final two days of the month, which is pretty crazy.

I surprised that people are surprised that Mario Kart 8 did so well:

1 - Mario Kart is one of the best-selling series of all-time.
2 - Mario Kart 8 got very high review scores (88 average on Metacritic).
3 - They were giving away a free $60 game if you purchased Mario Kart 8 at or near launch.

I'm not much of a Mario Kart fan and was planning on skipping it all together, but as soon as I found out about the free game, my plans changed from "Don't buy" to "Buy on Day 1 no matter what." I daresay Mario Kart 8 has a crazy high attach rate for Wii U owners.

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

This pie chart swayed a lot of people.

Sometimes you just don't have a game ready, you know? Maybe Smash was supposed to be that momentum carrier, but then it got delayed.

I accept the argument on Smash (to an extent - the delay between the Japanese and US releases is real dumb). I don't really get it on Hyrule Warriors. Even if it's not going to be a strong seller, it's at least a game. Release it worldwide, the age of month+ delays for games ended when everyone got access to the internet. Nintendo can't stay there forever and they shouldn't when they're leaving another empty summer.

Moreover, they did this exact same thing last year. Delays for Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 simply because they didn't want anything in July. Their scheduling had gone off the rails.

boingball

Nice showing for MLB.

That PS4 rules is no surprise. This month will be interesting with xbones flying off the shelve (to quote gamestop). If the Xbox One, The All-in-One Entertainment System does not get ahead of the PS4 in June then it will be difficult for MS to catch up. I am not sure that the Halo Collection is a system seller (or will sell more than TLoU) and the rest of the exclusives on both platforms for this year are even worse (as system sellers).

Good Bump for the Wii U, but with almost 500k in sales of MK8 it could have been better.

Exokell

Banned
It's bad but it's not dead yet. Let's wait for June numbers after all the MK8 an E3 hype. I'm sure numbers will improve drastically.
Like everybody said. People who wanted mk8 bought the console long time ago. Nintendo is just releasing the games that Nintendo gamers want.

SDCowboy

So the the WiiU still sold horribly, even after a major boost. How are some people seeing this as the console doing well? 0_o

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the Wii U numbers from Jan-May of last year and Jan-April this year?

(Numbers taken from NPD prediction thread for following month)

2013:

57k (January)
66k (February)
67k (March)
36k (April)
34k (May)

2014:

49k (January)
82k (February)
70k (March)
48k (April)

gorfyako

Banned
I was all surprised that PS4 bested 3DS, but then I remembered that this is 'murica.

Overall, though, great to see numbers jump so much year over year. New consoles on the market really does wonders.

Ty4on

60K for WiiU!? I could never how imagined it would be that low.

Now all that remains to see is how close the XB1 is :p

prag16

Banned
Yeah like I said before, no amount of games can change Wii U's fate. It simply isn't a platform most people want, unfortunately.
Wow. That is absolutely horrific. I'm at a loss for words at how anemic that is. Doesn't seem possible with the 4.1x week over week number..

Cuburt

Why are people so quick to jump to the "Wii U is dead" conclusion?

June is the moment of truth. 2 days of Mario Kart 8 on the market is hardly enough time to be conclusive.

ironcreed

Banned
It's bad but it's not dead yet. Let's wait for June numbers after all the MK8 an E3 hype. I'm sure numbers will improve drastically.

I'm sure it will see at least some kind of boost next month as well. If not, then it's a damn shame. As the Wii U is turning into an amazing little system with a lot going for it and even more to look forward to.

luigi-death-stare-meme-mario-kart-8-01.gif

mreddie

Good news for PS4 and Wii U.

However, I expect insanity after E3 and the fact barely anything comes out this month.

It's surprising seeing how well PS4 software is selling. Last gen 360 was always number 1 in hardware. Even with the COD deal, PS4 is still outselling everyone else. Really surprising, good for Sony.

It's half an hour after the NPD embargo has lifted, and there's no PR from Microsoft.

I don't think I need to tell y'all what this probably means.

Top Bottom