• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Square Enix right now:
sz1TOSJ.gif

That took a while, but was certainly worth the wait. Carry on.

I can't believe it. I just refuse to believe it. There's absolutely no way that Square Enix would delay the game for a year on the most prominent platform just to let fans of that format know that the title's eventually coming out.

Just. No. Way.

I can't believe it. I just can't believe it.

Welfare

Good luck trying to advertise and sell a Complete edition next holiday while being up against CoD, Mass Effect, FFXV, and any other major third party title everyone will be picking on the PS4.

Oh Square Enix. I hope the money was worth it.

Imagine if Uncharted 4 gets delayed again, until the Fall...

Nah , they ill just meet the GOTY version .

Good luck trying to advertise and sell a Complete edition next holiday while being up against CoD, Mass Effect, FFXV, and any other major third party title everyone will be picking on the PS4.

You think SE going to spend money on TR if FFXV comes out next year Nov \Dec .

cameron

Yup, looks like in the initial agreement they couldn't even talk about the other versions of the game before the Xbox release.

SE wanted to talk PS4/PC versions, after the lackluster reception/pre orders of ROTR, to try and at least build some anticipation for the other versions, hence renegotiation, and delaying the PS4 version was the cost. My guy said SE didn't mind this as the delay meant it avoided UC4's release.

That took a while, but was certainly worth the wait. Carry on.

Well done, SE.

6sqvG74.gif

Plus the PS4 first party schedule is stacked for the first time this gen. Next year still had a fair few unknowns.

QaaQer

In defense of square, there was alot of hatred towards them, which they did not see coming. People were putting them in the same bucket as MS and their PR shenanigans. Diffusing that, even if it meant a hit to Rinsing Tomb Raider and a delay was probably worth it.

Elandyll

Banned

It won't.

But the hi-larious (and sad) thing is that we may very well be asking which sold more next November NPD, between the GOTY edition of UC4 with DLC, or the "Definitive" edition of the "brand new on PS4" Rise of the Tomb Raider.

/smh x infinity

Yup, looks like in the initial agreement they couldn't even talk about the other versions of the game before the Xbox release.

SE wanted to talk PS4/PC versions, after the lackluster reception/pre orders of ROTR, to try and at least build some anticipation for the other versions, hence renegotiation, and delaying the PS4 version was the cost. My guy said SE didn't mind this as the delay meant it avoided UC4's release.

What the bloody hell? This could be the worst deal in all video game-dom.

Shoeless

Guys.

SE can still salvage this.

FF7:R Demo packed in with the PS4 version of RoTR.

Instant mega-seller :eek:

I think this probably will net them some sales. Maybe not a full recovery, but I imagine people that were otherwise not interested Final Fantasy Type-0 gave it a shot to mess with FFXV.

FLEABttn

Banned
My guy said SE didn't mind this as the delay meant it avoided UC4's release.

They think a port released 12 months late during the always crowded holiday season is a better strategy than releasing it 6 months late, during a usually not so crowded launch window, 2 months after UC4 (so not even directly competing with it)? All so they could mention a port a few months earlier?

What even.

Wow. Had just figured that the announcement of other platforms was part of the deal since from the start after Adam Boyes said that we would know the exclusivity details of FF7 before that game released. Figured if it was true for Sony it would be the same for MS.

Diffusing that, even if it meant a hit to Rinsing Tomb Raider and a delay was probably worth it.

Between diffusing a SMALL amount of hatred ( they kept it quiet for one whole year since the initial reveal, not as if they openly came out in the open within a month ) and throwing ROTR PS4 into the wilderness of Fall 16 is honestly not a difficult choice IMO.

It's absolutely not going to be worth it.

There must be more, another perk that they traded for the extended exclusivity. If pre-orders were lackluster that was the indication that people were already well aware that it was coming to other platforms. Why would you make things worse just to confirm to people what they'd already figured out?

This is just too monumentally stupid to fathom.

XB1 has a very small userbase outside of NA. So NPD data would be 90% of the retail copies sold. Digital copies were around 20% for EA AAA. So assuming they sold 200k retail. You could expect another 40k digital. So 240k so far.

Games tend to move the bulk of their numbers up front. Most AAA games don't 'long tail' all that well. So you might expect it to sell 240k this year. and maybe 40k next year. So 500k seems like a very high estimate.

PS. The PS4 version might sell? might not. It depends. I'd just speculate that on the XB1 version, if it sold 200k up until this NPD then it'll probably move 300k-400k units by the end 2016. Unless they had some great deal/promo on it.

Given the fact that we know Rise of the Tomb Raider did 70k in two weeks UK, that doesn't fit 10% already. The third 3 week was black Friday here in the UK which gives a huge boost and it's still holding in the charts after five. I can only guess it's around 90-100k in the UK after 5 weeks. Plus the US 200k. I'd say the rest of Europe amounted to 100k, which I feel is pretty in-line with how you feel the XB1 is doing outside UK/US. 400k plus the rest of the world? 30-50k for rest of? 430k plus 20% digital is around 500k. Also we've got two more weeks of US sales in a Decemeber, I of course note how sales tail off but I don't think 20-30k is unreasonable for the US in Dec at this point so we can even brush rest of the world under the carpet if you like..

I wonder if this gives credence to the rumor that CD was pushing Square to take the deal. No one can be that stupid to think that this would be a good deal.

Shin-chan

It's kind of vindictive of MS too I think, but then they were holding all the cards as soon as the deal was made. Nothing at all with this whole thing has been in the favour of Square.

I can't think of a worse publishing job for a title with AAA aspirations. It's so botched.

Given the fact that we know Rise of the Tomb Raider did 70k in two weeks UK, that doesn't fit 10% already. The third 3 week was black Friday here in the UK which gives a huge boost and it's still holding in the charts after five. I can only guess it's around 90-100k in the UK after 5 weeks. Plus the US 200k. I'd say the rest of Europe amounted to 100k, which I feel is pretty in-line with how you feel the XB1 is doing outside UK/US. 400k plus the rest of the world? 30-50k for rest of? 430k plus 20% digital is around 500k. Also we've got two more weeks of US sales in a Decemeber, I of course note how sales tail off but I don't think 20-30k is unreasonable for the US in Dec at this point so we can even brush rest of the world under the carpet if you like..

Bloodborne did a million in less than two weeks. ROTR should have way more mainstrean appeal.

Ray Down

Banned
Matsuda must have talked with Phil Rodgers about how bad this deal was handled by him and co.

Wonder if they will have less say in these decisions now.

Bloodborne did a million in less than two weeks. ROTR should have way more mainstrean appeal.

I'm in no way trying to make out Rise of Tomb Raider sales are positive or negative. My opinion is sales seem low for a TR game. I'm actually just talking about the figures we know that don't tally with the post I quoted.

I wonder if this gives credence to the rumor that CD was pushing Square to take the deal. No one can be that stupid to think that this would be a good deal.

I've been trying really hard to find a way not to blame this on Square Enix and i've been struggling....

Crystal Dynamics is not in charge of Tomb Raider, that franchise belongs to Square Enix and at the end of the day its Square's job to make sure that the game is put in a position to succeed. They didnt do that with Rise of the Tomb Raider. This was a bad deal and they need to learn from it.

-MD-

Doesn't even really matter where Uncharted 4 goes, 2016 is so stacked I don't see a late port of this doing all that well regardless of when it comes out.

vcc

I guess then 500k would seem like a fine 2015 estimate. No idea how it'll sell on PS4/PC. I think I read the original reboot sold 7m. Not sure if the sequel will get anywhere close of they have 500k only right now.

I guess then 500k would seem like a fine 2015 estimate. No idea how it'll sell on PS4/PC. I think I read the original reboot sold 7m. Not sure if the sequel will get anywhere close of they have 500k only right now.

8.5 million across all platforms, including definitive edition.

mejin

Doesn't even really matter where Uncharted 4 goes, 2016 is so stacked I don't see a late port of this doing all that well regardless of when it comes out.

And to make things worse: XB1 and PC versions will already have bargain price.

They really don't think and care for the ip.

That's just fucking insane. It's the most comprehensive mishandling of a product and misreading of the market I have seen from anyone other than Konami.

Also, isn't Horizon: Zero Dawn supposed to be out at the end of next year? If so, they've avoided Nathan Drake only to go up against another third person adventure game with a bow wielding female protaganist, but one who also fights fucking robot dinosaurs, in one of the most anticipated upcoming PS4 exclussives.

You couldn't make this shit up.

That's just fucking insane. It's the most comprehensive mishandling of a product and misreading of the market I have seen from anyone other than Konami.

Also, isn't Horizon: Zero Dawn out at the end of next year? So they've avoided Nathan Drake only to go up against another third person adventure game with a bow wielding female protaganist, but one who also fights fucking robot dinosaurs, in one of the most anticipated upcoming PS4 exclussives.

You couldn't make this shit up.

It will also be going up against another SE property in FFXV. Which one do you think will get the bigger push?

Amir0x

Banned
It will also be going up against another SE property in FFXV. Which one do you think will get the bigger push?

Horizon is going to get a gigantic push from Sony. They think they got something potentially very big with the series.

Not sure it'll be able to rival the advertising behind FFXV, presumably SquareEnix is going to need to sell five trillion copies in order to actually make a profit.

Cornbread78

Btw, as s follow up to earlier, that 500GB PS4 BOIII bundle retails at $349 now, so it's cheaper to buy the $299 bundle, then BOIII for $49.

Toki767

Hold on. Square Enix voluntarily delayed the PS4 port from 6 months to a year just to officially announce something everyone knew was coming?

They might as well just trash the IP. They clearly don't believe in it.

Top Bottom