• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

Toth

What strong legs in Japan??? It is the opposite.

The game won't cross 1m at this pace.

Allow me to clarify. 3 weeks thus far and it's still selling fairly well after the initial frontloading. At least according to what people were saying in the Media Create thread.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I normally do not post in these threads but seeing how FF XV has had strong legs thus far in Japan and quite a lot of praise in threads all over the net despite its flaws, I am so curious to see how it does this season. I do think SE's commitment to updating some of the issues people had with the game and the DLC may have given the game a little boost as well.

When will we have an official answer?
Allow me to clarify. 3 weeks thus far and it's still selling fairly well after the initial frontloading. At least according to what people were saying in the Media Create thread.

FFXV doesn't have strong legs in Japan. It's been massively discounted, and is currently dropping at the same %age rates as FFXIII there even with that. The experienced people in the thread are saying it doesn't have "strong legs". Expectations are super low on that title anyways since it was massively overshipped...

why is that a bad thing to post?
You did the equivalent of Emily Rogers spilling who her Switch sources are. That gets the sources in trouble.

Seriously? Stating where someone works seems okay to you?

when that person openly said it by herself, yes ofc
but even in general i don't find it offensive or not okay to state where someone works.
and it this cases it's even important context for the credibility of that statement, imho

if someone do not want me to share that kind of personal information, i ofc don't do it and respect that.
but now this conversation is going to much offtopic and we should better stop here:)

ethomaz

Banned
Having cut price everywhere in Japan plus holiday shop that increase sales to result in lower legs/sales than previous entries.

Well I don't know how anybody can try to claim "strong legs".

Seriously? Stating where someone works seems okay to you?
Perhaps she is open about that in every place she post... so what the big deal if it is ok for her???

dracula_x

FFXV doesn't have strong legs in Japan. It's been massively discounted, and is currently dropping at the same %age rates as FFXIII there even with that. The experienced people in the thread are saying it doesn't have "strong legs". Expectations are super low on that title anyways since it was massively overshipped...

You did the equivalent of Emily Rogers spilling who her Switch sources are. That gets the sources in trouble.

> 80% sell-through (at this moment) is "massively overshipped" now. ok.

edit: also, about "massively discounted":

Selling games cheaper than MSRP is normal here and happens with all games in most stores since the release - Yakuza 6, which came out today has been 20% off on Amazon since the beginning.

The price is lower than the release one (unless drama is that much cheaper than Geo) - which was iirc 7200 yen (plus tax, but this one probably doesn't have tax included as well). So yeah, game is being sold for cheaper, but hardly a crazy sale, I think.

---

What strong legs in Japan??? It is the opposite.

The game won't cross 1m at this pace.

Retail – maybe. But with digital it's already not far from 1 million, I think.

MacTag

Banned
It's still below 80% sellthrough going by Dengeki and Famitsu. After 3 weeks with both weekly sales and retailer prices precipitously dropping.

Under 1m retail is guaranteed. With digital it might not make it either but we'll see when Famitsu puts out their Dec estimates.

Somnia

FYI, the 3 stores in my town haven't sold any of their Final Fantasy PS4s, all still have the 3 they got in.

Systems have been selling good, but xb1 has definitely sold more in the last 2 days. Can't keep the minecraft bundle in Stock. No idea the rest of December though as I barely worked.

Just thought I'd quote this over, posted it in the NPD Prediction thread.

Saw some posts saying the FFXV bundle was "sold out everywhere" when it definitely is not.

Also our store has sold 0 PS4 Pro's so far in December, we did sell quite a decent number in November (our entire launch stock plus a few more of the re-stock).

If Nintendo would actually stock 3DS's and 2DS's we'd sell every single one no problem. We got 3ds's and 2ds's in yesterday, sold them VERY FAST.

dracula_x

They're equally reliable. Besides, everyone shows FFXV being a flop anyway. ;)

You're confusing "flop" with "underperformance". At the moment, FFXV is 3rd best-selling game in Japan this year (including all platforms), and 1st – on home consoles.

Oregano

You're confusing "flop" with "underperformance". At the moment, FFXV is 3rd best-selling game in Japan this year (including all platforms), and 1st – on home consoles.

That's only because Nintendo hasn't released anything of note this year. FFXV is still a flop (in Japan).

Somnia

Wonder what they can do to push sales for pro. Maybe a bundle in the near future like horizon?

I think Pro will still sell decent, just right now in December people are buying the cheapest options. When I left last night we had 0 minecraft bundles, 2 gears 500gb xb1's and 0 bf1 500gb's. Low on the 1TB models of Gears and BF1, but a lot of people chose not to buy as they want the 500gb option for $50 less.

December is all about price for sure.

I think Pro will still sell decent, just right now in December people are buying the cheapest options. When I left last night we had 0 minecraft bundles, 2 gears 500gb xb1's and 0 bf1 500gb's. Low on the 1TB models of Gears and BF1, but a lot of people chose not to buy as they want the 500gb option for $50 less.

December is all about price for sure.
Man even a 50 dollars price difference still play a strong factor huh? You'd think people would be gunning for that extra hdd space. Also yay member status

MacTag

Banned
No, never selling out your first shipment and looking at a ~50% decline from your last comparable entry is definitely a flop.

And btw FFXV will drop to 4th shortly as Mario Maker 3DS laps it.

01./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.501.964 / NEW
04./01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 188.511 / 1.690.475 (-87%)
04./04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 111,705 / 1,802,000 (-41%)

01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 690.471 / NEW <64,63%>
05./01. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 79.792 / 770.263 (-88%)
06./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 44.340 / 814.603 (-44%)

QaaQer

Correct story, wrong conclusion.
20 or 30 years ago consoles were the hottest thing on the planet (maybe only matched by samantha fox). So kids grew up without ever touching neither nor, but it was the definition of cool. It was what the cool kid down the road had.
Now, kids grow up with access to / presence of consoles because the former 90's kids now are dads and bought the consoles for themselves after they earned some own money. No wonder kids don't find them sexy any more. dad's hobby sucks per se. Consoles are the electrical trains of our times. And look as outdated as samantha fox by now.

True story: the brother of a friend was obsessed with Samantha Fox so he decided to tattoo her name onto his arm with a blade and ink. After writing SAM, he stopped for some reason (pain? blood loss?). I thought his name was SAM for like six months.

dracula_x

No, never selling out your first shipment and looking at a ~50% decline from your last comparable entry is definitely a flop.

And btw FFXV will drop to 4th shortly as Mario Maker 3DS laps it.

which, by your own metric, it will make 3DS sales "a flop" too, btw. Do you agree with me? :)

MacTag

Banned
which, by your own metric, it will make 3DS sales "a flop" too, btw. Do you agree with me? :)
3DS is well over 50% of ltd DS sales in Japan. Vita's around 25% of PSP ltd though.

Also 3DS isn't clogging retail shelves and being priced at a quarter of it's MSRP.

Purest 78

Wonder what they can do to push sales for pro. Maybe a bundle in the near future like horizon?

Holiday shopping is all about deals not paying full price. Tax return season I think we'll see a boost in sales for the Pro. Tax return people splurge and are less concerned with deals.

ethomaz

Banned

edit: also, about "massively discounted":

---

Digital in Japan is pretty low compared with rest of the world... less than 10% of overall sales.

MacTag

Banned
Digital in Japan is pretty low compared with rest of the world... less than 10% of overall sales.
And likely even lower for an overshipped JRPG like FFXV. The strong local resale market tends to skew the genre towards retail moreso in general.

ethomaz

Banned
01./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.501.964 / NEW
04./01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 188.511 / 1.690.475 (-87%)
04./04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 111,705 / 1,802,000 (-41%)

01./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 690.471 / NEW <64,63%>
05./01. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 79.792 / 770.263 (-88%)
06./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 44.340 / 814.603 (-44%)
This exactly shows the legs are lower than previous entry... FXV even didn't selling the first shipment after 3 weeks has big % drops.

Anybody saying the legs are good is delusional... in holiday 3rd week a FF selling 40k is atrocious.

dracula_x

3DS is well over 50% of ltd DS sales in Japan. Vita's around 25% of PSP ltd though.

Also 3DS isn't clogging retail shelves and being priced at a quarter of it's MSRP.

66% for Japan. Not a good result.

WW &#8211; >40%

3DS WW sales is definitely "a flop" comparing to DS (again, by your own metric). But, of course, you won't admit this and you'll find another excuse, because "reasons".

Not always.

MacTag

Banned

WW – >40%

3DS WW sales is definitely "a flop" comparing to DS (again, by your own metric). But, of course, you won't admit this and you'll find another excuse, because "reasons".
3DS sold out it's first shipment. My own metric was both actually. :)

Why does Final Flop XV bother u so?

ethomaz

Banned

WW – >40%

Not always.
Wii U, 3DS, Vita and Xbone sales in Japan are disappointing... that is true... only hardware doing better there is PS4.

About digital we will see after Famitsu release them... FFXV won't reach 100k digital sales there.

Even Tabada did damage control of FFXV sales in Japan.

MacTag

Banned
Wii U, 3DS, Vita and Xbone sales in Japan are disappointing... that is true... only hardware doing better there is PS4.

About digital we will see after Famitsu release them... FFXV won't reach 100k digital sales there.
PS4's only doing slightly better, and with the benefit of stronger upfront support, lower prices and more remodels. And it's likely going fall behind PS3 again soon aligned anyway.

3DS is a steep drop from DS, but DS was really an outlier. 3DS is on par with previous market leaders like Famicom, SFC, PSX and PS2, actually it's already ahead of them all and still not done selling.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4's only doing slightly better, and with the benefit of stronger upfront support, lower prices and more remodels. And it's likely going fall behind PS3 again soon aligned anyway.

3DS is a steep drop from DS, but DS was really an outlier. 3DS is on par with previous market leaders like Famicom, SFC, PSX and PS2, actually it's already ahead of them all and still not done selling.
I keep reading that and PS4 keep increasing the lead... and there is no way to it fall behind soon... it already opened a good gap that can't be killed until possible holiday next year.

BTW PS4 will possible do better in 2017 in Japan than it did in 2016... the software front is stronger.

ethomaz

Banned
They've been back and forth until recently. PS3 has FFXIII coming up aligned though so it'll probably shoot past PS4 again.
It won't.

ps4_zpsam8peodv.jpg

The gap is over 500k already.

Oregano

I keep reading that and PS4 keep increasing the lead... and there is no way to it fall behind soon... it already opened a good gap that can't be killed until possible holiday next year.

BTW PS4 will possible do better in 2017 in Japan than it did in 2016... the software front is stronger.

That's nowhere close to true. FFXV was THE big gun. It might somehow did better but XV is the PS4's biggest software release.

ethomaz

Banned
That's nowhere close to true. FFXV was THE big gun. It might somehow did better but XV is the PS4's biggest software release.
Next year is stronger starting with RE7 and ending with possible KH3... acrosss the year has a lot of titles that push Japan sales like DQXI (bigger tha FF in Japan).

FFXV did not pushed at it was expected with it... it indeed underperformed a lot in hardware sales.

Oregano

Next year is stronger starting with RE7 and ending with possible KH3... acrosss the year has a lot of titles that push Japan sales.

FFXV did not pushed at it was expected with it... it indeed underperformed a lot in hardware sales.

RE7 is going to flop(probably worse than FFXV as well) and Kingdom Hearts was never anywhere close to FF's level.

Toth

Now I know why most people stay out of these threads o_O. FFXV a flop.....okay now.

Didn't the FFXV PS4 bundle sell? That was another 60 k or so copies.

ethomaz

Banned
RE7 is going to flop(probably worse than FFXV as well) and Kingdom Hearts was never anywhere close to FF's level.
DQ is bigger than FF in Japan... DQXI out next year there.

RE7 with the quality showed will surprise a lot of guys here... in any case no other game had a big drop like FFXV in Japan.

MacTag

Banned
It won't.

The gap is over 500k already.
PS3 has holidays and FFXIII coming ahead. PS4 won't be doing any 200k+ weeks like PS3 did in 2009.

Also you're seriously overestimating RE7 and KH3. Both could be FFXV-like drops from RE6 and KH2.

DQXI won't sell many PS4s at this point either. Not when it's on two other Nintendo handhelds and PS4 has had DQH, DQB and really even FFXV to draw audience already.

Oregano

DQ is bigger than FF in Japan... DQXI out next year there.

RE7 with the quality showed will surprise a lot of guys here... in any case no other game had a big drop like FFXV in Japan.

DQXI is going to sell big... on 3DS.

Also plenty of franchises have had big drops in recent years it just has tended to be more gradual because of more frequent releases. Look at Musou, Tales or Yakuza.

ethomaz

Banned
PS3 has holidays and FFXIII coming ahead. PS4 won't be doing any 200k+ weeks like PS3 did in 2009.

Also you're seriously overestimating RE7 and KH3. Both could be FFXV-like drops from RE6 and KH2.
No game had FF-like drop in Japan until now... why RE7 and KH3 will have? You forget DQXI releases next year too.

I'm accounting with PS3 holidays and FFXIII... PS4 will be ahead yet.

Also plenty of franchises have had big drops in recent years it just has tended to be more gradual because of more frequent releases. Look at Musou, Tales or Yakuza.
I keep reading that but if you compare the big hits in Japan the drop was small (MGSV) or even increased in sales compared with previous games (P5, Pokémon).

FFXV was the exception in a bad way.

Toth

Yes DQXI will sell gangbusters on 3DS but probably won't break 500k on PS4.

kswiston

Maybe not 50%, but plenty of the biggest PS3 franchises are way down on PS4. PS3/PS4 multiplats were hiding some of the dips in previous years I think.

We'll see where things stand going forward with no PS3 copies.

Oregano

I keep reading that but if you compare the big hits in Japan the drop was small (MGSV) or even increased in sales compared with previous games (P5, Pokémon).

FFXV was the exception in a bad way.

You named two cross gen games and a 3DS game.

Yes DQXI will sell gangbusters on 3DS but probably won't break 500k on PS4.

NAh, it could do more than 500k.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe not 50%, but plenty of the biggest PS3 franchises are way down on PS4. PS3/PS4 multiplats were hiding some of the dips in previous years I think.

We'll see where things stand going forward with no PS3 copies.
Which PS3 biggest franchises are down? Can you post some... I asked because in FFXV Japan launch threats people said that but couldn't show examples and after comparing most titles did the opposite.

Oregano

Which PS3 biggest franchises are down? Can you post some... I asked because in FFXV Japan launch threats people said that but couldn't show examples and after comparing most titles did the opposite.

I just named you three examples a few posts ago.

Top Bottom