• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking Xbone will win November but then I started having doubts:
- Kinda feel like a good chunk of the people interested in MCC already have an Xbone.
- Sony has a GTAV PS4 bundle (which will likely come to the US). GTAV made like $800 million in the first 24 hours. And that can definitely benefit Sony.
- While MCC will be a pretty big deal for Xbone, Advanced Warfare is also coming out which may actually do better than Halo.

MS needs to do a MCC/AW Xbone bundle lol.

It's probably not too likely that MCC will be a massive system seller for Xbox One. It will certainly move some hardware for MS, but nothing like a new, numbered Halo game would. MCC will, however, have an extremely high attach rate--I can't imagine that many Xbox One owners would not want to have the MCC.

GTAV will probably not be a big system seller for PS4 either, IMO. It will be a good deal to someone picking up a PS4 for the holiday season--much like MCC would be for Xbox One. But I don't think either will be a big draw in terms of driving up install base for the hardware.

You also mentioned Advanced Warfare. Traditionally, COD skews to MS, but given the difference in install bases, we could see a scenario where AW sells better on PS4 but has a higher attach rate on Xbox One.MS does have the marketing and early DLC, though, so it's not a given by any means.

RoKKeR

Wow, Forza Horizon 2 didn't even chart. So sad to see... that game deserves good sales. Hopefully a lot of them came digitally, mine did at least.

Do people take great pleasure in seeing their console of choice do better or get really down at their console of choice not doing the best?

I've asked myself this... People are really wrapped up in this, as long as there are quality games for Xbox one I'm happy. Case in point, Forza h2...incresible,even on a weaker box.

Chobel

Do people take great pleasure in seeing their console of choice do better or get really down at their console of choice not doing the best?

This borderline thread whining. This could be shocking to you, but this is sales thread so people discuss sales.

Xbox is doing fine... Yeah it's no ps4 but I don't understand all this gloom.

doing fine isn't what the people running the division want or should settle for.

So how many people still believe Sunset Overdrive will change this escenario?

It's starting to feel like the snowball effect the 360 had last generation where friends would get the system their friends were on. I don't think exclusive games could ever compete with that aspect when it comes to choosing a console.

No one cares about Sunset Overdrive. I bet LBP3 posts higher numbers in North America and I don't think that will be much more than a blip on the radar itself.

After this result, I don't see how anyone is banking on MCC to win November for XB1. Sony is going to do 1000k in November regardless of Halo.

The news of the 20 GB day one patch to enable multiplayer on MCC was surprising. I mean, it's good to be given a heads up about it but still disappointing when you think of the size of the patch.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-has-20gb-day-one-patch-to-unlock-multiplayer

I still don't understand why the multiplayer isn't on the disc.

I think Xbone will win Nov, but it won't be because of MCC, more because It has marketing deals and bundles with the biggest games in the year: ACU and CoD:AW, and I have a feeling that MS will get real aggressive in BF, Xbone bundles and deals will be better than anything we've seen this year.

Sony sure has GTAV marketing deal with PS4, however I think many people are overestimating it.

But isn't GTA5 bigger than both COD: Ghosts and the biggest Halo, combined?! Lol I'm only being half serious I know remasters are always only a fraction of the originals.

I heard that the next COD is down though on pre-orders compared to Ghosts after that game put so many people off the series.

Chobel

The news of the 20 GB day one patch to enable multiplayer on MCC was surprising. I mean, it's good to be given a heads up about it but still disappointing when you think of the size of the patch.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-has-20gb-day-one-patch-to-unlock-multiplayer

I still don't understand why the multiplayer isn't on the disc.

The game is 65GB, and bluray disk can only store ~50GB so the game can't be fit into a single disc. So they choose to do 45GB in disk and 20GB digitally.

Purdy

This borderline thread whining. This could be shocking to you, but this is sales thread so people discuss sales.

Oh no there is certainly some good discussion on the sales and interesting future predictions with reasonable thought, there is also a lot of people seemingly constantly trying to validate their choice in console or in other threads had the theme of others trying to reassure themselves their console of choice will eventually be the leader.

Its like people debating about their favourite sports team and seem more concerned about defending it and putting down the other than playing their actual console

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's starting to feel like the snowball effect the 360 had last generation where friends would get the system their friends were on. I don't think exclusive games could ever compete with that aspect when it comes to choosing a console.

It doesn't, that's probably the number 1 factor for most people picking a console, especially in a world where every game wants to integrate some sort of online mode.

stryke

Its like people debating about their favourite sports team and seem more concerned about defending it and putting down the other than playing their actual console

If you're aware there's a decent conversation going on then there's no need for the commentary. We're past the overeaction/hyperbole/meltdown phase now.

labaronx

Two of the 50gb ones then maybe? 20gb patch is going to be awful for some people with slow speeds and caps

I think only a handful of companies have patents for larger blu rays... sony being one of them. Still early in the gen though who knows

Purdy

If you're aware there's a decent conversation going on then there's no need for the commentary. We're past the overeaction/hyperbole/meltdown phase now.

I was simply responding to apparently 'thread whining' as my original post was a question and a fair one at that given people's enthusiasm for their console to win, there was no commentary

I think only a handful of companies have patents for larger blu rays... sony being one of them. Still early in the gen though who knows

TDK, Verbatim, Sharp, and Panasonic already make 100 GB bluray discs.

didn't we just hear that half the disc space on AC:Unity is dedicated for lighting?

I also don't understand why they need 25 GB of lighting data. My understanding of lighting is that it is simulated physics so the thing about even needing "data" just sounds bogus to me.

Have you ever rooted for a sports team? That arguably makes less sense. That is a group of people with a tenuous connection to its fans.

At least the group of people who designed your console of choice provided a device you bought.

And being agreed with is one of the most enjoyable activities worldwide, for all humans.

And then there are those of us who just like to follow the figures, or the industry behind the games we like.

Oh no there is certainly some good discussion on the sales and interesting future predictions with reasonable thought, there is also a lot of people seemingly constantly trying to validate their choice in console or in other threads had the theme of others trying to reassure themselves their console of choice will eventually be the leader.

this is a part of the console wars man...

It is exactly like rooting for a sports team or arguing over IOS vs. Android, PC vs. Mac. I don't get why this is surprisingly anymore, particularly in a sales thread.

Piggus

My console of choice doing well means it will have better support from indies and third parties. It will also ensure that the company sticks around.

So yeah, I do take pleasure in it doing well.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who really likes the Wii U or the Vita and then ask that question again. Both those systems have garbage third party support (and Vita has pretty bad first party support too) and it's because they're selling like shit.

I was simply responding to apparently 'thread whining' as my original post was a question and a fair one at that given people's enthusiasm for their console to win, there was no commentary

What makes you think people are rooting for "their console" in a sales thread? I commend Sony on their victory; its well-deserved. But my company of choice is Nintendo, who is currently suffering a deserved slump for their incompetence.

Sales threads aren't just cheerleading. It's also objective (or semi-objective) discussion of the business of games.

Purdy

this is a part of the console wars man...

It is exactly like rooting for a sports team or arguing over IOS vs. Android, PC vs. Mac. I don't get why this is surprisingly anymore, particularly in a sales thread.

I can't say I feel the same about my console/ipad/android/pc and supporting it so blindly like I do my sports teams, things would be a lot worse without competition

Have you ever rooted for a sports team? That arguably makes less sense. That is a group of people with a tenuous connection to its fans.

At least the group of people who designed your console of choice provided a device you bought.

And being agreed with is one of the most enjoyable activities worldwide, for all humans.

And then there are those of us who just like to follow the figures, or the industry behind the games we like.

You'll have to explain the first two lines to me. The developers of the consoles I buy have a stronger connection with me than the team who provides the product I pay to watch?

You'd be right on the third line although consoles seem something rather insignificant to take please in being agreed with on.

Yep and those people provide enjoyable discussion to read in these threads.

kpaadet

I've asked myself this... People are really wrapped up in this, as long as there are quality games for Xbox one I'm happy. Case in point, Forza h2...incresible,even on a weaker box.

Why are we discussing you being happy with your Xbone? I am glad for you, but this is a NPD thread and so sales being discussed shouldn't come as a surprise, if that bothers you don't enter.

MavFan619

Banned
My console of choice doing well means it will have better support from indies and third parties. It will also ensure that the company sticks around.

Pretty much I am happy to see the PS4 sell if it means it's an install base large enough to warrant making a game for (especially in the case if midsized Japanese developers and indies) that's a good thing in my book. I take this stance with no ill will towards the Xbox at all or whether it's not doing as well in sales.

Chobel

Apologies then, your comment sounded like you're generalizing it to the whole thread not just some posters.

watership

Purdy

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who really likes the Wii U or the Vita and then ask that question again. Both those systems have garbage third party support (and Vita has pretty bad first party support too) and it's because they're selling like shit.

Good point, my question was poorly worded, rather people seeing their console do better and seem to relish in the competitions not doing so well.

I love my WiiU and Vita and would love them to do better, but I don't begrudge the PS4/Xbone/3DS for doing much better which some people seem to begrudge PS4 outdoing their Xbox in certain threads and take it rather personally

What makes you think people are rooting for "their console" in a sales thread? I commend Sony on their victory; its well-deserved. But my company of choice is Nintendo, who is currently suffering a deserved slump for their incompetence.

Sales threads aren't just cheerleading. It's also objective (or semi-objective) discussion of the business of games.

Of course they aren't, I've said as much there is good discussion, particularly later in the thread as someone pointed out.

Yes the nintendo slump isn't enjoyable, hopefully they ride it out and provide us with something much more competitive next time, although I'm happy with it just being first party titles perhaps they'd pump out more if it was doing considerably better

stryke

The answer is yes. There are people emotionally invested. I'm not sure why I should care how they spend their time here in relation here to how they spend their time gaming. It's really none of my business nor should it matter if they can still talk and argue reasonably. If they can't well they can be ignored.

Purdy

Apologies then, your comment sounded like you're generalizing it to the whole thread not just some posters.

Certainly not, I've been sitting reading this thread and a fair few others, the Pachter one was interesting seeing other peoples predictions, but I've also seen countless arguments (not just on here either) over bundles not being included, others selling more digitally, others selling higher due to the user base and lots of it boils down to pointless bickering and I don't understand the mindset, ideally all three consoles do exceptionally well in my eyes.

I know others have answered, but a lot of people follow it with great interest because of the backlash of what gamers considered to be anti-consumer policies on the part of Microsoft. Therefore, PS4 succeeding sales wise is the reward for a company that focused on its consumers by providing a console that was powerful and allowed the existing model of game usage to continue.

I think that's why you don't really see anyone dancing on Nintendo's grave. They are just sad they're not doing well (even the complaining of price and required gamepad has subsided).

Piggus

Pretty much I am happy to see the PS4 sell if it means it's an install base large enough to warrant making a game for that's a good thing in my book. I take this stance with no ill will towards the Xbox at all or whether it's not doing as well in sales.

Agreed. I don't take pleasure in seeing the Bone do poorly, but I'm completely indifferent as I have no plans to buy one. Also, if the PS4 doing really well means we'll have less games like EA's sports games and ACU where the weaker console holds back the more powerful one, then I say run that score up, Sony! Devs/pubs are more likely to cater to the majority fanbase first.

It seems like a lot of the people who are scared of Sony dominating the market weren't around for the PS2 generation.

Purdy

Why can't they put it on TWO blurays? Considering it's just a remaster and not a completely new game, the added cost of the physical disk shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I said that further up, I can think of a few friends who won't be able to play launch day certainly

I know others have answered, but a lot of people follow it with great interest because of the backlash of what gamers considered to be anti-consumer policies on the part of Microsoft. Therefore, PS4 succeeding sales wise is the reward for a company that focused on its consumers by providing a console that was powerful and allowed the existing model of game usage to continue.

I think that's why you don't really see anyone dancing on Nintendo's grave. They are just sad they're not doing well (even the complaining of price and required gamepad has subsided).

Thats a good point but I can still imagine the same scenario regardless of the used game and online check in thing microsoft had originally proposed. Would've been interesting to see how this all went had they not done that and had a better price point which they clearly should've done

So I'm guessing it was a bad month for Microsoft?

Destiny sold nearly as much on XBO as it did on PS4 despite the limited edition bundle and ad partnership and they sold over 280k consoles, it was actually a very very good month for them. It'd just that PS4 had one of the biggest non-holidays ever for a console so it skews opinion here of what's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom