• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Do people take great pleasure in seeing their console of choice do better or get really down at their console of choice not doing the best?

Sure, and I don't see what's wrong with it. Same happens in the sport and music business. (Beyoncé IS better than your fave, tbh)

I think everyone wants the thing that they prefer to do best.

2thepoint

I think you have helped me refine what needs to be the next entry on the chalk board.

"next month"

Its fits well.
It touches all the right spots, and it will be both true and false depending on the timeline. It can satisfy both the chalkboard aficionados and detractors.

It is so true though - every NPD victory for PS4, you hear the same lines ''wait till next month'' or ''next month will be interesting''.

PS4 has outsold Xbox One for 9 consecutive months, and will most likely outsell it for another 10/11 months unless something magical happens.

Unfortunately, our reality exists in a different plane to the Harry Potter world, so people should really get some perspective and realize if Titanfall, installing Phil Spencer as Xbox overlord, removing Kinect, offering insane deals like free Xbox Live, new titles, pack-ins, rebates, this that and the other, and to top it off, offering Destiny free during launch week couldn't stop PS4, then by golly, a remastered collection of a waning franchise is surely not going to stop the PS4 stampedes come Black Friday and Holiday Season 2014.

le.phat

I'm not going to take the time to screencap Take Two's stock to prove you wrong. Anybody who'd like to do so simply google for TTWO stock graph - GTA 5 released on September 17 2013.

What's happening to Activision is not normal. It's caused by relatively extreme disappointment at results. What I find simply strange is that in lieu of acknowledging this the general consensus in here seems to be to try to claim not only were these results expected, they're actually even good. It's bizarro world for objectivity. I imagine most people who are surprised are simply worried of looking stupid due to the relatively large crowd of "Well duh of course it only hit 3million. Woohoo, awesome for a new IP!"

That's an interesting opinion on destiny, maybe you post it in OT8 of the destiny thread. Make sure to post it a couple if times because it moves so fast that you'll easily get undersnowed though.
I'm sure all those people feverishly playing and discussing have equally interesting opinions on the game are open to discuss your personal feelings about destiny.

beercr8te

Banned
I have both xbone and ps4, but smiled with joy when I read about the success of ps4 september :) . MS need this beatdown this gen, maybe next gen they will rise to the occasion.

Destiny sold nearly as much on XBO as it did on PS4 despite the limited edition bundle and ad partnership and they sold over 280k consoles, it was actually a very very good month for them. It'd just that PS4 had one of the biggest non-holidays ever for a console so it skews opinion here of what's normal.

We'll never know how many of those copies of Density for XBO were actually 'sold', and not just handed out.

EagleEyes

It's like watching sports. Meaningless but fun.
I don't really get the whole sports comparison at all. Normally when you are rooting for a sports team its because its the school, city, state or country you are from so it has more to do with pride than anything else. Cheering on your favorite piece of electronic plastic thats built in China is nothing like that at all.

le.phat

Do people take great pleasure in seeing their console of choice do better or get really down at their console of choice not doing the best?
Offcourse! I'm owning every sony console there is, i'm really engaged with all the franchises Sony built up over the years, and knowing Sony's willingness to fund experimental games, i'm hoping they are sticking around for years to come. Do you find this hard to grasp?

I-hate-u

Its fortunate for Sony that they are on track to win this year's holiday season despite it being one of their weakest years for their first party output*. Especially when MS is at full stack. Of course, we still have 3 months and few of the bigger MS games have yet to launch. Anything can happen.

Talking quantity, not quality.

You'll have to explain the first two lines to me. The developers of the consoles I buy have a stronger connection with me than the team who provides the product I pay to watch?

Say you're a fan, as I am, of the Denver Broncos. How many of the players are from Denver, or Colorado? They're paid to live and play there.

Sports are free to watch. They're on broadcast television. Consoles aren't free, nor are video games.

One product you can get for free, the other you've paid good money to own.

At the very least, they're roughly equivalent. Do you question sports allegiances? If not, then why come in this thread and question console allegiances? Particularly when the discussion is not generally along those lines?

Raistlin

holy fuck. not even a year into the next generation and we already have a hint of multiple discs already?
To be fair, this is 3 full games in one including a combined multiplayer with all DLC levels.

Not sure it's the best title to cite for this kind of concern.

To be fair, this is 3 full games in one including a combined multiplayer with all DLC levels.

4 full games.

The Horizon numbers bum me out. Not sure what I expected, or what expectations were for the reported time period, but its just too good a series not to earn some decent success.

Majmun

I don't really get the whole sports comparison at all. Normally when you are rooting for a sports team its because its the school, city, state or country you are from so it has more to do with pride than anything else. Cheering on your favorite piece of electronic plastic thats built in China is nothing like that at all.

People grow up with a certain brand or franchise and want to do it well. I grew up with Nintendo and my teenage period was dominated by Playstation. I think that's why I'll root for them the most.

Everyone has favorites and prefers something over something else.

No one cares about Sunset Overdrive. I bet LBP3 posts higher numbers in North America and I don't think that will be much more than a blip on the radar itself.

After this result, I don't see how anyone is banking on MCC to win November for XB1. Sony is going to do 1000k in November regardless of Halo.

Pretty much. I see a lot of people bringing up the MCC and GTAV but ignoring the fact that this is going to be taking place in the holiday season. The PS4 doesn't need a huge game or bundles to sell like crazy in November, it'll sell extremely well simply because it's the market leader. To overcome that, the MCC would need to be a bigger system seller than pretty much every other installment in the franchise.

This isn't about concern or anything. This is about the bewilderment of why they aren't using higher capacity discs when the technology has been available for about 4 years now.

Nope, I have been rooting for Inter Milan and Argentina my whole life.

I'm not Argentinian or Italian for the matter.

It the PS4 bundled versions don't count, all the +1 XB1 copies shouldn't either, right?

The XB1 free copies were counted.

The PS4 destiny bundle was a legit retail SKU and NDP doesn't track that as software sales.

The Xbone Promotion was 'choice of any one game free' through participating retailers for the week of the Destiny launch. So those free games would have counted as sold copies that NDP can track.

Naturally, any informed customer would have chosen to make their xbone system purchase that week, rather than before or after. Since Destiny is the biggest release of the month, I'm sure that game was selected more than any other. It doesn't mean none of those customers would have paid for the game, but it does skew the numbers, it gives those customers more money to spend on software that month.

maxiell

Is there a reason why NPD doesn't track bundles?

They track bundles. Why don't they include them as part of sales when listing the top ten? Probably because it makes things more confusing than less. For example, a game like Titanfall hung around the UK charts forever because of bundles, which doesn't tell you a whole lot about how the game itself is selling.

When your favorite sports team wins, it changes nothing in your life. Which is why they are similar. Note the word "similar" is not the same as" same".

Also a lot of sports fans don't only root for their city/school's team.

Destiny sold nearly as much on XBO as it did on PS4 despite the limited edition bundle and ad partnership and they sold over 280k consoles, it was actually a very very good month for them. It'd just that PS4 had one of the biggest non-holidays ever for a console so it skews opinion here of what's normal.

You call giving away the biggest release of the year along with another free game and getting outsold 2 to 1 a good month .

Melchiah

Good point, my question was poorly worded, rather people seeing their console do better and seem to relish in the competitions not doing so well.

I love my WiiU and Vita and would love them to do better, but I don't begrudge the PS4/Xbone/3DS for doing much better which some people seem to begrudge PS4 outdoing their Xbox in certain threads and take it rather personally

Beating the competition in this case is also making 3rd party (timed) exclusives on XB1 less likely. It's a big plus in my book, as I don't want to wait a year to play games, like I had to wait for Bioshock and Limbo when Microsoft had the upper hand.

Dynomutt

I'd disagree. I grew up playing PS and XBOX with my family. I remember playing Final Fantasy 7 with my brother and how captivated I was with the story and summons. I also remember playing Halo over LAN with my cousins so late into the night that we fell asleep with the controllers in our hands.

What Im trying to say is sometimes the console by itself is just a console, but the experience of great games and playing great games with friends and family makes it a bit more. People can be passionate about something regardless of its secular value.

Purdy

Say you're a fan, as I am, of the Denver Broncos. How many of the players are from Denver, or Colorado? They're paid to live and play there.

Sports are free to watch. They're on broadcast television. Consoles aren't free, nor are video games.

One product you can get for free, the other you've paid good money to own.

At the very least, they're roughly equivalent. Do you question sports allegiances? If not, then why come in this thread and question console allegiances? Particularly when the discussion is not generally along those lines?

The relevancy of if they're from there? Are your console of choice developers all from Denver, or Colorado?

Sports are most certainly not free to watch where I live, particularly not if I pay to go watch any of my teams.

Neither product I get for free and pay good money to enjoy both.

Yes I do for several teams but that is irrelevant. I have nothing wrong with brand loyalty, as I've said perhaps my initial question was poorly worded, it is those that revel in their console of choice succeeding as much as they do in the competition not doing so well is rather strange, surely you'd rather they all succeed leading to more competition?

Guevara

It's hard to see where Xbox One goes from here: MORE pack-ins, MORE bundles? Wait for Master Chief Collection? Work on reducing cost so you can do a 'real' price drop?

Nothing is obvious to me at least.

Reg

Banned
I'm not going to take the time to screencap Take Two's stock to prove you wrong. Anybody who'd like to do so simply google for TTWO stock graph - GTA 5 released on September 17 2013.

What's happening to Activision is not normal. It's caused by relatively extreme disappointment at results. What I find simply strange is that in lieu of acknowledging this the general consensus in here seems to be to try to claim not only were these results expected, they're actually even good. It's bizarro world for objectivity. I imagine most people who are surprised are simply worried of looking stupid due to the relatively large crowd of "Well duh of course it only hit 3million. Woohoo, awesome for a new IP!"

D7bSBFC.gif

Purdy

Beating the competition in this case is also making 3rd party (timed) exclusives on XB1 less likely. It's a big plus in my book, as I don't want to wait a year to play games, like I had to wait for Bioshock and Limbo when Microsoft had the upper hand.

Fair point, although are microsoft not still as likely to throw around money to get (timed) exclusives on their platform now?

Melchiah

Fair point, although are microsoft not still as likely to throw around money to get (timed) exclusives on their platform now?

Perhaps, like they did with Tomb Raider, but the more the userbase difference grows between the platforms the harder it will be for them to make those kind of deals in the future.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know if you guys saw but destiny flopped so hard that the Dow dropped a thousand points.

The relevancy of if they're from there? Are your console of choice developers all from Denver, or Colorado?

Sports are most certainly not free to watch where I live, particularly not if I pay to go watch any of my teams.

Neither product I get for free and pay good money to enjoy both.

Yes I do for several teams but that is irrelevant. I have nothing wrong with brand loyalty, as I've said perhaps my initial question was poorly worded, it is those that revel in their console of choice succeeding as much as they do in the competition not doing so well is rather strange, surely you'd rather they all succeed leading to more competition?

I want the Giants to get their ass handed to them by the Royals because I'm a fan of Kershaw and the Dodgers. However, I'm not gonna go throw a fit on baseball forums because the Dodgers owned them over the later half of the regular season yet the Giants are the ones going to WS.

I think what you're trying to say is you can't understand hardcore warriors (If not, sorry for putting words in your mouth). They are like football hooligans who go extreme length for their team of choice and they do not represent most fans.

Purdy

Perhaps, like they did with Tomb Raider, but the more the userbase difference grows between the platforms the harder it will be for them to make those kind of deals in the future.

I'm probably a bit naive in this regard but don't they have rather large amounts of money they can attempt to throw at the issue?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They'd probably have a better time of it slashing the price with the money they have than buying a game that would be available. Tomb raider is a surprisingly big get, but it's going to be much smaller pro forma without ps4.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Honestly, third party parity on major system selling games makes sense as a strategy. Not accusing them of anything. The price, exclusive lineups, controllers, online infrastructures, and OSes are good on both consoles. Third party performance is the major outlier.

They'd probably have a better time of it slashing the price with the money they have than buying a game that would be available. Tomb raider is a surprisingly big get, but it's going to be much smaller pro forma without ps4.

Slashing the price would be way more expensive for them .

Purdy

I want the Giants to get their ass handed to them by the Royals because I'm a fan of Kershaw and the Dodgers. However, I'm not gonna go throw a fit on baseball forums because the Dodgers owned them over the later half of the regular season yet the Giants are the ones going to WS.

I think what you're trying to say is you can't understand hardcore warriors (If not, sorry for putting words in your mouth). They are like football hooligans who go extreme length for their team of choice and they do not represent most fans.

Sport is slightly different though, there are a lot of teams therefore much more likely competition to keep the sport interesting, it is easy to hate and wish for your direct rivals to do worse.

If for example Nintendo and Microsoft both did disastrously and left only Sony with the console market share it wouldn't be so great hence wanting all three to succeed.

I don't understand the people wanting any other console to fail because of the one they've chosen, my initial question was poorly worded, of course people will want their own to do well other wise you wouldn't buy it or there wouldn't be follow ups to it. I don't think sport is a great comparison really but yes I imagine most fans of their respective consoles don't get on like idiots unfortunately can just be very vocal.

Purdy

Yeah, but I don't think it'll fix their problems in the long run.

Definitely, I don't think there is very much chance they get close to Sony this time around barring something monumental like a ridiculous price drop, but I imagine they'll still be wanting to keep the Xbox brand relevant and perhaps learn from their awful mistakes for next time around.

Will be interesting to see how long this generation lasts for both, although I think what Nintendo does next will be of most interest

I think the most logically consistent explanation for the PS4 outselling the XboxOne in the territories where the 360 outsold the PS3 are that the PS4 was cheaper at launch, had the positive mindshare of having better multiplats, and the positive publicity of having exclusive marketing deals for huge releases like Watch_Dogs and Destiny. Even after the PS3 dropped down to an equal or lower ASP than the 360 and eventually closed the gap on multiplatform games, it didn't matter, because consumers had already made up their minds. MS made the mistake of believing that the 360 fanbase was made of people loyal to their brand, rather than people loyal to what their brand had previously embodied (high end graphics and superior online play at competitive prices).

The Xbox One isn't doing nearly as poorly as the PS3, but it is currently in some grey area between it and the 360 in NA. I think that not having a true Gears or Halo sequel for this fall will really hurt its trajectory going into next year (I'm as excited as anyone for MCC, but remakes gonna remake). And they have the added bonus of every multiplat they advertise working against them, as it simply makes the PS4 more desirable.

The console will end up with tons of good games and multiplats are selling well enough that it won't lose support, but dreams of winning the online sales wars are pretty much over barring a miracle.

I could not agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom