• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
A generation is a long time, and there a lot of variables to take into account. Namely Sonys financial issues and as they continue to lose money, it will be hard for them to continue to fund the PS division.

The Playstation divisions is one of the more profitable divisions, I thought. Why would they shift gears of it?

I know Activision says that PS4 sold the most units but I wonder how many sales total, Physical, Digital and Bundle. The XBO sold more physical retail because there was no bundle. The PS4 number looked skewed because of the bundle.

Anyway....550,000!

Holy Shit!

Duxxy3

Considering how mobile has eaten everything up, you have to say Nintendo has done a fairly decent job with the 3DS. This year has been really disappointing however despite all the releases so far.

Hyrule Warriors did quite well and seemed to help Wii U sales along the new bundles (same price, but with 3D World/MK8 & Nintendo Land).

I don't buy that. The 3DS has been the same price for over 3 years now. IMO Nintendo has not been nearly aggressive enough. Not compared to how they were with every portable before the 3DS.

The Flop

Banned
Ok somebody please take this gif and use it as they seem please to add patcher as the one getting weave snatched and gaga as some Sony people.

Apopcalypse-Results-.gif

Please... give me life!

wapplew

Not sure if it was pointed out, but PS4 outsold Xbox 360's Halo 3 month (Sept 2007 - 527K).

Really impressive and strong showing for Sony.

With a multiplat game, and new IP too. That's what make it more impressive.
2 out of 2 they seems to won the bets on new IP for marketing deal, watch dogs and destiny.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Makes no sense to drop the price when you're the leader in sales every month

I only mention price drop since I know (just don't know when) Sony will release a 1 TB model for the PS4. Would make a bit of sense of making the 1 TB model the current price for the 500 gig model and lower the 500 gig model by $50.

Oh, I was kidding. I thought you probably already had one.

If you've yet to buy a next generation console, then please support the Age of One.

That's the plan. Time to save up now and wait until Viernes Negro.

A generation is a long time, and there a lot of variables to take into account. Namely Sonys financial issues and as they continue to lose money, it will be hard for them to continue to fund the PS division.

This isn't going to be an issue. Companies don't struggle to fund profitable divisions. They restructure/spinoff poorer performing divisions.

It's more likely that Microsoft will decide to spinoff the Xbox brand than Sony to give up on the Playstation due to the effects of their TV business.

Handy Fake

This isn't going to be an issue. Companies don't struggle to fund profitable divisions. They restructure/spinoff poorer performing divisions.

It's more likely that Microsoft will decide to spinoff the Xbox brand than Sony to give up on the Playstation due to the effects of their TV business.

Bish bash bosh. Aye.

Hindle

Banned
The Playstation divisions is one of the more profitable divisions, I thought. Why would they shift gears of it?

Where do you think the PS division gets the funds for marketing and those AAA games they make? From Sony, so as Sony lose more and more money due to thier financial issues, it means they have less money to spend on Playstation.

PS makes up about 8% of Sony btw.

SCEE: Let's go baby party time
SCEA: Exciting times
SCEJ/A: Please, no. No. Please. No.

This captures the overall Sony feeling for the holidays probably. SCEJ/A gonna be depressing this year. I can tell. Just damn.

Edit:

Oh, I was kidding. I thought you probably already had one.

If you've yet to buy a next generation console, then please support the Age of One.

Is Sony's financial situation so bad that they cant pay you anymore and you need to resort to the 3 dollars per XBOX One- All in One Home Entertainment System mention? =)

When did you turn into one of the most bitter warriors around here? I'm serious. You used to be far more measured and reasonable.

I called out a concern post about complacency and nothing of interest coming out. So bitter.

This is an NPD thread. What I said was perfectly fine. The market is speaking and that may not align with his or anyone else's personal reckoning.

I only mention price drop since I know (just don't know when) Sony will release a 1 TB model for the PS4. Would make a bit of sense of making the 1 TB model the current price for the 500 gig model and lower the 500 gig model by $50.

At the rate they're selling I don't think there'd be a lot of inventory lingering to mark down. You'd probably see the 500GB model reduced on a per store basis.

Hyunashi

This makes no sense at all. The PS division is one of their most profitable.

Portugeezer

It's not hard to fund something that is profitable.

For some reason you think they have to leech off of the rest of the company.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't buy that. The 3DS has been the same price for over 3 years now. IMO Nintendo has not been nearly aggressive enough. Not compared to how they were with every portable before the 3DS.

Well if the Wii U wasn't bleeding money, maybe they could be more aggressive. That's my opinion. It's the same reason the Wii U hasn't received a true price cut. So far for the 3DS:

JP: 3DS so far > GBA LTD already
Europe: 3DS ~ GBA (a bit less for 3DS)
America: 3DS < GBA by a lot (looking at the DS #, the GBA was a monster).

The situation in the US is bad, but they've done decently around the world considering mobile and the abandonment of Western third parties pretty much entirely (Lego's basically the only exception). 2DS was meant to be a pricecut basically. I think they'll do that when the new 3DS releases.

Where do you think the PS division gets the funds for marketing and those AAA games they make? From Sony, so as Sony lose more and more money due to thier financial issues, it means they have less money to spend on Playstation.

[citation needed]

Those reviews didn't do shit

as they shouldn't

I just find it a shame that consumers aren't buying the console that has superior content, online, OS and controller. Come holiday the gap in content will become more apparent which should move millions of units so I will just play the waiting game.

a cup of your tears sounds delicious right about now

yuck, this thread is getting ugly now

wonder when it will clear out

nah, i'd like to see more meltdowns. makes threads like this much more entertaining to read

They can't. There's a nuclear meltdown going on in the office.

i really am fantasizing another inside xbox book from dean takahashi. if he really can get the inside scoop on what happened inside redmond during times like these his next book will be a must read.

zeromcd73

SCEE: Let's go baby party time
SCEA: Exciting times
SCEJ/A: Please, no. No. Please. No.

This captures the overall Sony feeling for the holidays probably. SCEJ/A gonna be depressing this year. I can tell. Just damn.
It's going to be brutal for SCEJ until February (unless God Eater gets released earlier). Hopefully they at least put out at GTAV bundle for the holidays.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
At the rate they're selling I don't think there'd be a lot of inventory lingering to mark down. You'd probably see the 500GB model reduced on a per store basis.

Let's hope Gamestop does something for BF and actually has some in stock cause its the only "safe" store around my area. Been buying off of Amazon games-wise, so much cheaper but they probably won't have the PS4 on sale.

Damn, from Titanfall to MCC to Sony going out of business. Things are getting desperate.

The bundle Destiny was not included, so make sense.
The Halo crowd already bought a One and was thirsty for a new game.
So 600k Xbox Ones have to sell for Pachter to be right. Ha ha...

See above.

It costs money to make AAA games and marketing as well, so the more Sony lose, the less they have to spend etc.

You spend money on divisions that are more profitable. There's nothing to be concerned about.

Some one last week said Sony no longer has the funds to fly devs out to assist on 3rd party projects. HAHAHA

Verendus

Banned
Is Sony's financial situation so bad that they cant pay you anymore and you need to resort to the 3 dollars per XBOX One- All in One Home Entertainment System mention? =)
I'll have you know that I'm competing right now for Phil Spencer's position. You all just might see me as the next head of Xbox at Microsoft.

Then GAF, too, will officially become part of the Age of One. You can only hold out for so long. I'm like a virus.

Matt

That's not going to happen.

kpaadet

This dosn´t make any sense, are you suggesting that Sony would stop funding something that is profitable and spend more money on something that is losing them moeny?

From the profits of their game,PS+ and hardware sales....

If anything,Sony losing money will result in them spending less on the areas that are losing them money and more on their profitable areas. Like....oh I dunno..... Playstation?

Cess007

They didn't stop funding the PS3 when Sony AND the PS division were getting losses year after year. Why would they stop now that the PS division is actually being profitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom