• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRMagoo

Neo Member
Wow.

Holy shit, I mean seriously. A simple response to another persons post expressing personal experiences relating to a topic gets turned into " OMG WTF NOW ITS BECAUSE KIDDIES GET MOMMY AND DADDY TO BUY PS4!!!"

Well you tell me how age would mean a thing to the sale of the xbox one? The playstation brand has an older fan base, they have been around longer so saying it could be the age group is clutching at imaginary straws.

Yes the demise of a competitor is a good thing, Nintendo should go 3rd party next. Awesome, Sony is the best.

Well when the competitor isn't really providing much, yea. I wouldn't shed a tear if MS left gaming, as they don't seem to want or care about actually benefiting gamers. So far, the two biggest pieces of news this year have been a moneyhat and the acquisition of a multiplat dev, not to mention their biggest game of the year was also another moneyhat.

At one point MS was doing a lot to move gaming forward but that's long since over.

Nintendo shouldn't go third party because that would be the death of them as we know it.

As with Mark McGuire, you forgot the asterisk.

lmao how is this interesting, a huge chunk of those ps4 destinys aren't counted.

These posts are amazing.

it's actually not that interesting - its bundles, but you know that already

Lot's of jumping to conclusions. Agreed, amazing post and asterisk needed! :)

Interesting? How?

Thanks for asking, I'll tell you how.. at least for me. Because much like the way Madden rocked more on the 360 over the X1.. I too thought that Destiny would easily sell more on the 360 over the X1 version. Way more people have 360's than xbox ones.

siah

Banned
It's not an age thing. Xbox owners are the minority in this new gen by about a million consoles. You guys are just having trouble adjusting to the new reality.

The great question is why? I can't honestly tell you why other than MS fucked themselves at the beginning with their pathetic attempt at launching the xb1.

Since then I think MS has delivered over Sony.

Duxxy3

Don't forget, October NPD's will be #interesting

October will be pretty boring. Everything is available on everything. Even if Sunset Overdrive is amazing, people are not going to buy a system for it. Looks like a solid catalog/complimentary that Insomniac is known for.

I don't have any antipathy towards Sony lol, I replied to LN when he said my post was odd. It's not my fault people don't like what I say.

Sonys next fiscal period is due in two months, I suggest you read it.
"I don't have any apathy but lol wait 2 months and see how bad their numbers are"? Checks out!

Just stop, please. The salt is permeating through my keyboard into my fingers.

Madden bundle gets crossed out.
So Halo Collection next?
Sunset Overdrive is October, isn't it?

MavFan619

Banned
I gotta give it up to Sony and their fans. A weaker online offering, A botched game release(Driveclub) and people still buy it like crazy.

It also goes to show how fucking terrible MS did out of the gate.
Not everyone cares about online play, not everyone will judge their purchase of a PS4 based on "well that DriveClub launch was really bad." Same as not everyone who gets a console is focused on it's firmware updates or what exclusive games are out on the Holidays.

Hiltz

A little surprised to see Hyrule Warriors perform as well as it did. So is it safe to say that Mario Kart 8 largely failed to drive hardware sales so far given July,August and September were all double-digits figures for NPD (and its poor performance hardware-wise in Japan, I suppose UK is a lost cause but the rest of Europe probably isn't that much better)? I mean, there's still the holiday season for it to help redeem itself , but that just puts more pressure on Smash Bros to make up for MK8's inability to substantially boost hardware sales worldwide in the long-term for past months.

Curufinwe

I think "demise of a competitor" is a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, Microsoft is off to a poor start this generation, but it's not as though the Xbox One is dead and all development for it is coming to an end. Sony went through some dark times in the first few years of last generation and still came out of it as a strong competitor--a testament to their current success. Microsoft has made mistakes and they have suffered some noticeable setbacks as a result, but let's give them some time. The PS3 did a lot to turn things around as the generation progressed--it's perfectly reasonable for the XB1 to chart a similar course.

This is coming from a Sony only gamer, take it for what you will.

The PS3 turned it around by selling well in Europe and Japan. That won't happen with the Xbone.

Rymuth

I'm so tired, it's close to dawn here and I don't want to tear myself away from my computer and just as luck would have it, we've entered the Twilight Zone stage of the NPD threads.

I'm sorry GAF, I thought I could help push th3 post count until either Cream or Aqua post but the body is shutting down~looking forward to catching up tomorrow.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Best September NPD's ever (historical data courtesy of Aqua):

Wii - 687K (September 2008)
PS4 - in the realm of 550K (September 2014)
PS2 - 532K (September 2002)
PS3 - 492K (September 2009)
The first three follow a clear pattern, market-leading consoles gaining steam going into their second holiday. But what the hell happened that with the PS3 to cause such a surge in its third year? I don't remember any huge price drops that far in, and none of Sony's 1st party stuff struck me as the kind of juggernaut that could move systems like that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I gotta give it up to Sony and their fans. A weaker online offering, A botched game release(Driveclub) and people still buy it like crazy.

Yes, that botched Driveclub release in October sure did fuel those September sales, let me tell ya.

KoopaTheCasual

Conclusion: Time to get out of gaming, Sony.
Holy shit. Did not know it ranked that well historically. But consoles are dying, etc etc.

Also nice to see the Wii U returning from the ashes. Anecdotal as fuck, but I've never seen so many friends and colleagues talking about the Wii U before. All the talk is "man, gotta buy a WiiU for MK8/Smash Bros" or my favorite permutation of this line, "gotta buy a Wii U for (random family member) and play the shit out of it". Rise my friend!

allan-bh

But what the hell happened that with the PS3 to cause such a surge in its third year? I don't remember any huge price drops that far in, and none of Sony's 1st party stuff struck me as the kind of juggernaut that could move systems like that.

PS3 Slim

October will be pretty boring. Everything is available on everything. Even if Sunset Overdrive is amazing, people are not going to buy a system for it. Looks like a solid catalog/complimentary that Insomniac is known for.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same, quite much like inFAMOUS:SS. MCC will be so-so as well. I can't see it moving that many consoles.

A_Gorilla

Banned
The great question is why? I can't honestly tell you why other than MS fucked themselves at the beginning with their pathetic attempt at launching the xb1.

Millions of people would disagree with you.

siah

Banned
Not everyone cares about online play

Of course not everyone does, but you know damn well most do. PS4 has under delivered in a big way compared to the competition.

mavfan619 said:
not everyone will judge their purchase of a PS4 based on "well that DriveClub launch was really bad." Same as not everyone who gets a console is focused on it's firmware updates or what exclusive games are out on the Holidays.

So what you are saying is nobody will give a damn about some obvious flaws..question is have to ask is why?

Conclusion: Time to get out of gaming, Sony.

$150 more than the Wii. ASP of the bundle pushing it toward $200 more. And the economy was great in September 2007. Good news for Sony. I thought they would have tapered off from Wii numbers more significantly at this point.

Hyrule Warriors beat Tropical Freeze launch. I didn't saw this coming.
I did, I thought it was fairly easy to see coming in fact
Holy shit. Did not know it ranked that well historically. But consoles are dying, etc etc.

Also nice to see the Wii U returning from the ashes. Anecdotal as fuck, but I've never seen so many friends and colleagues talking about the Wii U before. All the talk is "man, gotta buy a WiiU for MK8/Smash Bros" or my favorite permutation of this line, "gotta buy a Wii U for (random family member) and play the shit out of it". Rise my friend!

er....what?

Very impressive sales from the PS4 and they really didn't have all that much major stuff releasing. Pretty good sign going forward and it'll be interesting to see just how big a christmas they can have.

Sunset Overdrive is a Bayonetta 2 level "system seller"
Regardless, it is on the chalkboard! And Microsoft would beg to differ! We're going to need to write up a chalkboard from scratch after the holidays, though. Halo 5 will still be on it but we'll need to replace everything else.

This is why. Some people don't forget:

- End of 360 wich was basically Kinect and nothing else for a couple of years compared to great 1st party games at Sony
- MS trying to sell you a weaker console at a higher price focused on TV and kinect again
- Not much 1st party wich means less and less exclusives as the years go by.

Urban Dictionary said:
Hindle;

To whip your penis out onto the desk, grab a hammer and a few nails, most likely 4 nails and hammer them into the desk around the penis. Then draw around the penis and lick the desk constantly, whilst sniffing glue, this happends until they pass out.

It's all starting to make sense...

Vestal

Gold Member
Well you tell me how age would mean a thing to the sale of the xbox one? The playstation brand has an older fan base, they have been around longer so saying it could be the age group is clutching at imaginary straws.

Personal experience... People I play with online are of my same age group, and my direct sample is my Job, which consist of IT professionals most in the early to mid 30s.

I wasn't inferring a blanket statement to speak of a generational gap regarding purchasing preference, however trying to correlate the other poster and my experience to some attributing factor such as age. Maybe its the field we are in. Could be any factor, but age usually comes to mind first.

Cidd

So people around here really do celebrate a fucking company selling more than another? That is really strange.

Talking about sales is one thing..some of the posts in here are unreal. To each his own though.

It also goes to show how fucking terrible MS did out of the gate.

Of course not everyone does, but you know damn well most do. PS4 has under delivered in a big way compared to the competition.

So what you are saying is nobody will give a damn about some obvious flaws..question is have to ask is why?

Would you say you're "CONCERN"?

because it seems like it.

mintylurb

The first three follow a clear pattern, market-leading consoles gaining steam going into their second holiday. But what the hell happened that with the PS3 to cause such a surge in its third year? I don't remember any huge price drops that far in, and none of Sony's 1st party stuff struck me as the kind of juggernaut that could move systems like that.
New slim model.

Hoje0308

Banned

How has Sony not delivered? Are you forgetting the fact that they do release games before fall?

CLEEK

Sunset Overdrive is a Bayonetta 2 level "system seller"

If Destiny can't sell XB1s, and FH2 doesn't even chart, then Sunset Overdrive - always a B-Tier game - has no chance.

MS have all their Holiday 2014 eggs in a Halo MCC basket. I'm sure it will do very well for them, just not PS4 well. Sunset Overdrive will be a blip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom