• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm not bloody talking about that. Read my post. I said Xbox exclusives and bundles. Is Madden an Xbox exclusive?

Titanfall has sold like what, 2 million+ last we checked? Well, people kept here and in other places kept saying that meant the game was a failure even though it didn't account for digital sales, bundled Xbox's, or any copies/digital sales outside of America.

I just find it hypocritical that people are rushing to point out that the PS4 "had bundles and digital" and so forth but were willing to ignore that point when it was the Xbox in question.

People did talk about that. Go back to the March thread, there were plenty pointing out it didn't include bundles. The issue with TF is that as a system selling game it seemed to do next to nothing for the X1. The game itself sold very well.....in fact, I think it'll be a similar situation for the MCC.

BigDug13

People always want the hot new thing. I'm not dismissing the MCC. I think it'll do very well. I don't think it's going to hurt the playerbase of Destiny on Xbox One.

Destiny isn't a "hot new thing", at least it won't be much longer. People have seen the content. What "new thing" is Destiny going to have by next month?

You talking console sales or in general?

In general. Since I work in the retail side I try not to make a ton of predictions. Just see what I can as it happens. MCC is going to do fantastic with the current userbase.

In terms of how much hardware it will move, I have my ideas but nothing for certain of course until November actually gets here.

Right, Bungie's greatest hits in one $60 package. And why are old games bad exactly? Halo PvP is superior to just about every other last gen console FPS PvP with their bullshit "fill experience bar to unlock more abilities, removing skill as the requirement of victory and allowing "time served" as a possible advantage to the player". And sorry, the bulk of Halo greatness is PvP and NONE of the old games individually were able to package all of the PvP greatness into a singular lobby of tons of choices. You had to choose individual games and search for games that way. Now it's all together. So not exactly "old" when you think about it.

I'm saying all this as a guy who doesn't even own an XBO. It's foolish to dismiss a package that actually holds more value than the Half-Life 2 Orange Box from last gen.
Wait a minute, all 4 of the Halo MPs are in a single lobby? I thought you had to launch each game separately, but it was all on one disc. So you're saying they're all integrated into one lobby? You can just switch on the fly in matchmaking without backing out anywhere? That's legit nuts

I think that Destiny will entertain a certain audience for a long damn time, the game has it's recipe for longevity down I think.

In a way, Destiny not being the critical darling many were hoping for is good news for other games, because titles that are expected to be played for hundreds of hours reduce the sales of other games as people are happy to carry on playing rather than going out and buying something new.

World of Warcraft for example almost singlehandedly decimates PC game sales with each expansion.

Hoje0308

Banned
People always want the hot new thing.

I'm not dismissing the MCC. I think it'll do very well. I don't think it's going to hurt the playerbase of Destiny on Xbox One.

I'm inclined to believe the nostalgia won't have quite the staying power some people think. I mean, I absolutely know some people that won't play anything else for months, but I also don't see them as being representative of anything like a majority.

Duxxy3

I'm wondering how much of that 875K Destiny Xbox One copies were paid for by Microsoft with their promotion. Seems maybe 100Kish?

That puts it incredibly close to the PS4 standalone - no bundles. When you look at it this way, Destiny sales for current XB1 owners was pretty amazing.

XB1 owners may not buy other genre's as religiously, but they sure love their first person shooters.

Toki767

Surprised Sony didn't put that in their PR statement.

Normally you would boast about something like that.

Wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have time to do the math. They seemed to be in a rush with their PR statement. Not that I can blame them since they're probably pretty excited.

BigDug13

Wait a minute, all 4 of the Halo MPs are in a single lobby? I thought you had to launch each game separately, but it was all on one disc. So you're saying they're all integrated into one lobby? You can just switch on the fly in matchmaking without backing out anywhere? That's legit nuts

I thought that was the whole point? Isn't it a singular PvP lobby of choices? Did my ears deceive me during the E3 presentation?

hXPlhng.png

I'll have a slice of one and 4, and U if there are any welcom donations. I only eat cake though, if if it is cake it must have home built ice cream on it's top.

Are these fast moving threads where Jr's like myself bury their trash in their attempt to get to 300?

Halo is still a big IP but this is an HD port collection, not Halo 5. I'm expecting similar numbers to Combat Evolved Anniversary which did around ~2 million if I'm not mistaken. That's still a big number for a userbase of around 6 million but it's not going to set the world on fire in the same month as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Destiny which should still be selling just fine come November.

No. Not at all. It will smash CE Anniversary.

Tubie

No I'm not bloody talking about that. Read my post. I said Xbox exclusives and bundles. Is Madden an Xbox exclusive?

Titanfall has sold like what, 2 million+ last we checked? Well, people kept here and in other places kept saying that meant the game was a failure even though it didn't account for digital sales, bundled Xbox's, or any copies/digital sales outside of America.

I just find it hypocritical that people are rushing to point out that the PS4 "had bundles and digital" and so forth but were willing to ignore that point when it was the Xbox in question.[/B]

I never did that.

I still don't know why you quoted one of my posts from many pages ago :/

Mooreberg

To give context to Destiny's massive amount of sales:

1413494016360eknl.jpg

----3.0 million

1) Destiny

----2.5 million
Good start. I wonder how it will hold up with the multiplayer crowd once COD comes out. The lack of modes is surprising since Bungie used to needlessly duplicate everything in Halo 3.

I thought that was the whole point? Isn't it a singular PvP lobby of choices? Did my ears deceive me during the E3 presentation?
I dunno, but that sounds incredible. You can just scroll down the list and play Halo 2 X map, then Halo 4 X map, all on the same screen? Don't they have to load the game?

I believe you're right, and that all four are put into a lobby.
Awesome! I'm super hyped for that now. I only played Halo 1 & 2 also

joecanada

Right, Bungie's greatest hits in one $60 package. And why are old games bad exactly? Halo PvP is superior to just about every other last gen console FPS PvP with their bullshit "fill experience bar to unlock more abilities, removing skill as the requirement of victory and allowing "time served" as a possible advantage to the player". And sorry, the bulk of Halo greatness is PvP and NONE of the old games individually were able to package all of the PvP greatness into a singular lobby of tons of choices. You had to choose individual games and search for games that way. Now it's all together. So not exactly "old" when you think about it.

I'm saying all this as a guy who doesn't even own an XBO. It's foolish to dismiss a package that actually holds more value than the Half-Life 2 Orange Box from last gen.

By skill do you mean "camping the rocket launcher"?

Halo had legendary mp but I don't see everyone going back for years of classic mode gameplay... Will sell well but not knocking cod or battlefield off the top either I think

Superior games bundled into a singular PvP package for the first time ever vs new mediocrity.

Superior is always subjective. I think that looking at the playerbases (particularly a month after launch) of the recent Halo games demonstrates that people probably aren't rabid for the (outstanding) PVP the games have.

I enjoyed the PVP for 3, Reach and 4 very much - however my biggest complaint was always the lack of players shortly after launch, which made matchmaking & latency a huge issue. The MCC, is going to revamp, lump them together - with more games, maps and playlists than ever before - and then launch to a far smaller userbase than the recent Halo games ever had.

It could be the greatest collection of old games ever - I still don't think it's going to generate a strong regular userbase.

If most of those fans buy MCC, I just don't see how they will stick with Destiny. What exactly makes Destiny superior in any way to Halo 1-4 in a singular package with a singular bulk PvP setup of all map and game-type choices? I don't care if you've played those games before on Xbox and 360 at 480p/30 or 720p/30, you've never done it all in one single package of 1080p/60 with all multiplayer map choices available. I just don't see how a singular Bungie developed game competes with a package providing 3 Bungie developed games in one.

Because Destiny offers something that MCC doesn't. They're not very comparable games. Loot that transcends co-op and PVP is very addicting.

At the end of the day, Destiny is new, and MCC is just refashioned old.

And it's your opinion that Halo's PVP is superior to games that have unlocking abilities. CoD is clearly way more popular.

Destiny isn't a "hot new thing", at least it won't be much longer. People have seen the content. What "new thing" is Destiny going to have by next month?

People have seen the Halo content you speak of ages ago. Destiny is still new, and it will sell to new consumers via word of mouth as the holiday approaches.

Right, but that mediocre userbase are the EXACT same players currently playing Destiny XBO, so I'm not sure how anyone can, with a straight face, tell me that MCC will have "not much impact" on Destiny playerbase on XBO. I'm not saying "EVERYONE" will bail on Destiny, but it will damn sure lose a TON of gamers to Halo MCC.

As was pointed out before, CoD is going to have a much bigger impact. But at the end of the day, Destiny is quite different from these other games due to the addictive loot, pve + pvp factors in its favor. Nothing really like it in the market, and much more than just a barebones pvp shooter developed over a decade ago.

BigDug13

Superior is always subjective. I think that looking at the playerbases (particularly a month after launch) of the recent Halo games demonstrates that people probably aren't rabid for the (outstanding) PVP the games have.

I enjoyed the PVP for 3, Reach and 4 very much - however my biggest complaint was always the lack of players shortly after launch, which made matchmaking & latency a huge issue. The MCC, is going to revamp, lump them together - with more games, maps and playlists than ever before - and then launch to a far smaller userbase than the recent Halo games ever had.

It could be the greatest collection of old games ever - I still don't think it's going to generate a strong regular userbase.

Right, but that mediocre userbase are the EXACT same players currently playing Destiny XBO, so I'm not sure how anyone can, with a straight face, tell me that MCC will have "not much impact" on Destiny playerbase on XBO. I'm not saying "EVERYONE" will bail on Destiny, but it will damn sure lose a TON of gamers to Halo MCC.

Yes it's true. Gloriously true.

N.Domixis

Banned
The longer the 360 fanbase stays on the 360 the worse it is for microsoft. It means sony will have time to grow their fanbase faster and the friends effect will lure in the 360 fanbase eventually.

Toki767

ZELUDA < 170k
FZ2 ~ 120k
TFFCC < 25k
Goodbye < 12k

Hmm...Hyrule Warriors number is still pretty good.

Forza Horizon 2 seems decent all things considered.

Theatrhythm Curtain Call predictably didn't do too well.

Danganronpa 2 sales hurt to see. Guessing maybe digital sales are better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom