• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - Super Mario 3D World sells just 215k, has lowest attach rate of 3D Mario titles

I thought 3D Mario was supposed to shift systems. Are we still expecting Mario Kart to be a system mover? Something tells me we're going to hear the "There weren't enough consoles" excuse to explain its poor sales.

Y34PxiQ.gif

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm not a sales age person, but Super Mario 3D World looks incredible. The screenshot thread for next gen consoles sold me on that game.

The problem, for me, at least, is the Wii U price. After seeing those screens, I immediately went to Amazon and looked up the Wii U. Then I saw the $330-$360 price tag, and closed the window. It's not that I can't afford a $300 console, but I just dropped $400 on a PS4, and a handful of games, and I just can't rationalize, to myself, dropping another $400 on the Wii U.

If the console was between $200-$250, I'd probably buy it. Instead, I'm looking at the 3DS, which I can get for $220, play on the bus to and from work, and has a rather impressive software library. I really think Nintendo is just asking too much for the Wii U, not to mention their lack of informing the consumer that the Wii U isn't just a Wii.

Since I don't think there is any "right" answer to why the attach rate is so low, my best guess could be that lots of people were just saving their money for PS4/XB1.

I really think Nintendo should have done something about its release date, but my guess is they wanted it out ASAP for the holiday rush, which just so happens to fall on the XB1 release date, and a new Zelda game on the 3DS...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not a sales age person, but Super Mario 3D World looks incredible. The screenshot thread for next gen consoles sold me on that game.

The problem, for me, at least, is the Wii U price. After seeing those screens, I immediately went to Amazon and looked up the Wii U. Then I saw the $330-$360 price tag, and closed the window. It's not that I can't afford a $300 console, but I just dropped $400 on a PS4, and a handful of games, and I just can't rationalize, to myself, dropping another $400 on the Wii U.

If the console was between $200-$250, I'd probably buy it. Instead, I'm looking at the 3DS, which I can get for $220, play on the bus to and from work, and has a rather impressive software library. I really think Nintendo is just asking too much for the Wii U, not to mention their lack of informing the consumer that the Wii U isn't just a Wii.

Amazon doesn't sell Wii U officially. You were seeing third party stores selling through Amazon.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Amazon doesn't sell Wii U officially. You were seeing third party stores selling through Amazon.

Which is honestly one of Nintendo's huge issues in the US. Same thing with most 3DS models and the 2DS. The one 3DS XL model now (only recently) normally stocked by Amazon is completely out of stock in comparison. Nintendo of America seriously needs to patch up things with Amazon because they really need Amazon's support on this.

Lumyst

Sans Mario Kart? I don't think any Nintendo software, including Kart/SSB will do much. What are people gonna put their faith on after these games, Zelda? Bayo? X? Good luck with that.

I hope games such as X and Bayonetta 2 are at least profitable for Nintendo overall, whether by sales of those titles alone or in spurring sales of the console itself. If there's a business case for canceling those games, I couldn't fault Nintendo (We're seeing the numbers/estimates for ourselves, after all) but I would lose trust in Nintendo as a platform holder. I really hope Nintendo can provide some sort of statement about their 2014 plans, to reassure the current WiiU and 3DS owners. It's dangerous to be in a situation where only Mario games can be counted on to drive sales (paltry as they may be), the failure of the expanded audience games on both the WiiU and 3DS leave them in a situation where they must find a way to appeal to core gamers again, and if Mario is the only thing in their arsenal that can be counted on, why did they ever bother to buy Monolithsoft, for instance. Obviously they hoped to be more than the "Mario" company, and it's my wish that should X or Bayonetta 2 "bomb," it's a sign to Nintendo to become better at providing an ecosystem where those kinds of games can flourish, rather than to abandon making those kinds of games.

^Yep, $99 Amazon.com 2DS just feels like something that should exist. (Oh, and limited editions and better color choices sold online too.) Now that we've seen numbers for the 3DS, we can tell that the limited editions and the 2DS were desperation moves to slow down the decline. Though I'm glad that even though Reggie's data showed him that customers only wanted Red and Blue 3DS XLs (and some Pink ones too) they have been spurred on to get extra colors out there. (I'd have loved a white 3DSXL, personally.)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

It doesn't change anything though. The Wii U is still, in my opinion, overpriced. $300 is still more than I want to pay for the Wii U.

EDIT: I also do 99.9% of my shopping through Amazon, because I have Amazon Prime. I very rarely, if ever, buy from another online retailer. There's a city Target near my house, but they are hardly ever stocked with anything worthwhile gaming wise.

Trojita

It doesn't change anything though. The Wii U is still, in my opinion, overpriced. $300 is still more than I want to pay for the Wii U.

EDIT: I also do 99.9% of my shopping through Amazon, because I have Amazon Prime. I very rarely, if ever, buy from another online retailer. There's a city Target near my house, but they are hardly ever stocked with anything worthwhile gaming wise.

I got my Wii U for effectively $250 + Tax and it came with the New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi game.

Tookay

Besides possible Mario fatigue, Nintendo has just been terrible at marketing, hyping, and releasing their games. They have this theory that they can just do a compressed, hyper-targetted marketing right before release. And it has failed MISERABLY FOR YEARS. WTF Nintendo? Just bizarre decision after bizarre decision.

It really is bizarre.

Maybe this approach works during the first 8 months of the year...

But doing it for releases in November - when you run the risk of being drowned out in a sea of games releasing - is foolish.

Have LCD panels hit a baseline price or something? It seems crazy to me Nintendo would go with the gamepad unless they thought they price would fall anytime soon.

Maybe they just didn't care.

Zinthar

Have LCD panels hit a baseline price or something? It seems crazy to me Nintendo would go with the gamepad unless they thought they price would fall anytime soon.

Maybe they just didn't care.

They are pretty cheap -- the estimated cost of the IPS LCD in the iPhone 5S along with its capacitive touch interface is ~$40. That still probably makes the Wii U's resistive touch screen the most expensive single component after the SoC, though. But the SoC & RAM in the Wii U should be significantly cheaper than those in the PS4 & XBO, though.

Of course, Apple has industry-leading supply-chain management and Nintendo, well... doesn't.

Helix Snake

Neo Member
I didn't read through the 14 pages of this topic, did anyone mention that this is comparing 30 days worth of Super Mario Galaxy sales (which released on the 1st) to 8 days worth of Super Mario 3D world (which released on the 22nd)?

I didn't read through the 14 pages of this topic, did anyone mention that this is comparing 30 days worth of Super Mario Galaxy sales (which released on the 1st) to 8 days worth of Super Mario 3D world (which released on the 22nd)?

Super Mario Sunshine had only 6 days of tracking, it released in August, and it still managed 350,768, way over what 3D World sold.

Helix Snake

Neo Member
Super Mario Sunshine had only 6 days of tracking, it released in August, and it still managed 350,768, way over what 3D World sold.

That's still valid then, but comparing 30 days of SMG sales to 8 days of 3D world sales and using that to say that SMG had a better attach rate (even though it was on a system that sold a whole lot to casuals and non-gamers who don't buy Mario games) is misleading.

Zinthar

That's still valid then, but comparing 30 days of SMG sales to 8 days of 3D world sales and using that to say that SMG had a better attach rate (even though it was on a system that sold a whole lot to casuals and non-gamers who don't buy Mario games) is misleading.

Sales are typically so front-loaded that it's unlikely that 3D World would be able to close the gap with SMG in attach rate over the next 22 days.

The attach rate of SMG is really impressive considering how many Wii owners were people who'd have no interest in a 3D Mario platformer. I would have expected an attach rate similar to Sunshine given the install base.

devilhawk

Many valid points here in the discussion, but the initial stat being a comparison of attachment ratios of games with varying days sold is pretty odd.

Trojita

That's awesome. Right now that bundle is over $300, so no go for me.

Best Buy was giving out $25 Gift cards with the purchase and there are various other deals out there to take advantage of or to have taken advantage of. You just aren't looking hard enough.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Best Buy was giving out $25 Gift cards with the purchase and there are various other deals out there to take advantage of or to have taken advantage of. You just aren't looking hard enough.

No, I'm just not balls crazy interested in the Nintendo Wii U to go out of my way to find deals for it. I'll get one when more games I'm interested in come out, but I'm not tripping over myself to get one now. I'm waiting for the new Smash Bros, as well as Wii U Zelda mostly, and whatever else Nintendo may have cooking from the IPs from them I like. Super Mario 3D World isn't enough, nor is the Windwaker HD remake (although I loved the GC version, and the Wii U version looks fantastic!).

And as I said before, I do 99.9% of my shopping from Amazon due to Prime. I don't shop at Best Buy, or much of any of those places. *shrugs* It's no big deal, and I can wait on the price of the Wii U to drop.

I also saw Wal Mart was offering a $25 Gift Card as well. Not sure if they still are but it's worth checking on if someone was interested but didn't have a Best Buy near, or with the bundle they wanted.

I also saw Wal Mart was offering a $25 Gift Card as well. Not sure if they still are but it's worth checking on if someone was interested but didn't have a Best Buy near, or with the bundle they wanted.

I just picked up the Walmart deal with the $25 GC and then the Toys R Us B1G1 40% off for the family Christmas present. A little looking around went a long way.

well you can get the mario and luigi deal at target for 300 plus a 25 dollar of card. if you factor in the fact that that about 70-80 worth of game packed in + the 25 off card you are getting the wii u for 225

Sales are typically so front-loaded that it's unlikely that 3D World would be able to close the gap with SMG in attach rate over the next 22 days.

The attach rate of SMG is really impressive considering how many Wii owners were people who'd have no interest in a 3D Mario platformer. I would have expected an attach rate similar to Sunshine given the install base.

Sales for everything but Nintendo games, that is. I'd honestly be surprised if 3D World didn't at least do the same in December as it did last month, I'm not expecting a miracle or anything, but the game's been heavily advertised this month and I think 300k around Christmas is reasonable.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
well you can get the mario and luigi deal at target for 300 plus a 25 dollar of card. if you factor in the fact that that about 70-80 worth of game packed in + the 25 off card you are getting the wii u for 225

That's true, but I don't want those games. Don't get me wrong, they look neat, but I'm not terribly interested in them. It's really no big deal. I'll get a Wii U when there is more I want for it, and when the price comes down to one I'm willing to pay for it. Right now, I have so much to play between my PS3, Vita, PS4, and PC, that I'm not missing out on the 3DS and Wii U at the moment.

Top Bottom