• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Bernie Sanders staying in the race 'Until The Last Vote Is Cast'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

Get ready for a long two months.

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/04/47676...ying-in-and-its-good-for-the-democratic-party

Bernie Sanders is staying in the race until the last primary, and the nation will be better off for it, he told NPR's Steve Inskeep in an interview Wednesday.

Inskeep asked Sanders if he is "threatening [his] revolution" by continuing to run, potentially scaring some voters away from supporting Hillary Clinton — the likely Democratic nominee — in November.

"I think we are perpetuating the political revolution by significantly increasing the level of political activity that we're seeing in this country," Sanders responded. He added later, "I think it is good for the United States of America, good for the Democratic Party, to have a vigorous debate, to engage people in the political process."

Still thinks he has a path to victory:

The Vermont independent senator also stressed that he thinks he can still win, despite Clinton's massive delegate lead.

"We think we have a path toward victory — admittedly it is a narrow path," Sanders said.

A very narrow path: he would need 65 percent of all remaining pledged delegates for a pledged majority and 82 percent of all delegates — including remaining superdelegates — to pull past Clinton overall, according to NPR's Domenico Montanaro.

on Super Delegates:

"I think we have got to make the case that the superdelegates, who in many cases were on board [with] Hillary Clinton even before I got in the race, that they should take a hard look at which candidate is stronger against Donald Trump," he said. "And I think we can make that case."

So is this a good idea or will it come back to haunt the Democratic party come November?

marrec

Banned
When he says "vigorous political debate" does he mean personal attacks against Hillary Clinton and nonsensical allusions to the FBI arresting her?

VRMN

I'd be okay with this if he toned down his criticisms of Clinton while he did so. Providing Trump sound bites might not win him the election, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

I mean, even if he planned on dropping out tomorrow, he wouldn't announce it. No quicker way to deflate a campaign than to actually admit that you cant win.

That being said, I believe him. He's a stubborn dude Bernard.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm fine with them going to the end but they still think they might win a contested convention? Come on Bernie

In the end, it's whatever. He knows this is over, and I don't think he's going to do any serious damage to the Dems in November. He'll keep doing his thing, and Clinton will mostly ignore him to focus on Trump. He'll have as much of an effect on Clinton as Kasich did on Trump, and then maybe he'll use his delegates to get a little influence when the platform is written for 2016.

Quixzlizx

So is it hypocritical for Hillary to work with SuperPACs while claiming she wants to get rid of them, but not hypocritical for Bernie to try and win over superdelegates while claiming he wants to get rid of them?

studyguy

"I think we have got to make the case that the superdelegates, who in many cases were on board [with] Hillary Clinton even before I got in the race, that they should take a hard look at which candidate is stronger against Donald Trump," he said. "And I think we can make that case."

That's pretty funny.

Anyway, the man's campaign is a zombie that's going to chew on a few delegates here and there, shamble to the convention, make his case then fade away back to Vermont. Not expecting anymore than that and certainly not expecting him to do what 08 Hillary did when she hitched up her wagon to Obama and went in hard on campaigning for him after conceding.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Weve already had the debates Bernie, dems overwhelmingly decided it's not going to be you, pls leave

As long as he isnt attacked Clinton every day, im fine with it. Most of what he says is on princible and message in general, and not really attacks at her. I've heard tons of his stump speeches and he rip Clinton on much, really,

Adaren

Really, Bernie can stay in as long as he wants provided he focuses his efforts on something that promotes his message (instead of using conspiracy theories, hyperbole, and baseless implication to try to hamstring the only person who can prevent his goals from being delayed by 20 years).

Arnie7

Banned
He and Trump are gonna double team Hillary. Not good for the party. Trump will focus all attacks on her now.

What a huge waste of resources and everyone's time.

Every day I get more convinced he's doing this for some ulterior motive. Personal image possibly. Not sure. I've lost an insane amount of respect for the man as this race pushes on.

UK perspective here but wont this just split the D vote and ultimately just give Trump the presidency?

This is just to decide who gets to run against Trump. Though you could argue he's firing up his base enough to stay home come GE time. How large of a block of stupid that is, we assume small. Either way his attacks against Hillary are regurgitated by Trump right now.

studyguy

UK perspective here but wont this just split the D vote and ultimately just give Trump the presidency?

No, this is the primary.
By November his run will be inconsequential.
By the same metric, Bernie or Bust people existed in 08 in far larger numbers for Hillary but even they capitulated so it's not a cause for concern.

Either way Hillary already moved on, spent a grand sum of $0 against him in the last primary and he still failed his target so why bother.

Wiz

It will mean absolutely nothing.

The longer he stays in the race, I think the more influence he will have when it comes to the convention. At this point, he wants to push the Democratic platform as far left as possible. The more delegates he has, the stronger case he has to do that.

Just stop the attacks like calling her corrupt or accusing her or money laundering and it's all good. If he wants to continue to scorched earth, well, fuck off, Bern.

Adaren

He's only staying in until the end of the primary. So it'll just be Clinton vs. Trump when it comes time to actually cast votes in November.

Kusagari

Bernie's Jekyll and Hide act on how bad super delegates are while admitting he's trying to get them to pick him because it's his only way to win makes him look so shitty.

massoluk

Banned
I'll believe it when I don't hear the words Goldman Sachs/Wall Street and Clinton in the same sentence in the next debate

The longer he stays in the race, I think the more influence he will have when it comes to the convention. At this point, he wants to push the Democratic platform as far left as possible. The more delegates he has, the stronger case he has to do that.

Exactly. I think you only need one quarter of the delegates to have items be suggested for the platform for a vote. He just wants to be in the room when the Democrat Party decides what it wants to be for the next four years.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I like Bernie Sanders and I wish him the best of luck in his endeavors but it's blatantly obvious that the Trump Train is coming down the tracks and its ready to mow down everything in its way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's fucking hilarious that Lyin' Ted realized he had no chance to take it to a contested convention before this delusional politician did. Just puts things into perspective.

I like how Hillary didnt even spend a cent advertising in Indiana. She no longer gives a fuck and is ready for GE.

cirrhosis

He probably needs about 2 months anyway to curb his outbursts and bring his narrative back to where Hillary's currently is.

Is there any reason why Clinton needs to acknowledge Sander's existence anymore? California alone will give her the delegates she needs (assuming there isn't a massive fuckup on her end in the next month).

Adaren

Exactly. I think you only need one quarter of the delegates to have items be suggested for the platform for a vote. He just wants to be in the room when the Democrat Party decides what it wants to be for the next four years.

Couldn't he, like, talk with the DNC and agree to drop out now in exchange for bonus speaking time or something? If he's going to be suggesting measures for the DNC, it seems like it would be to his advantage to not have them ticked off at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom