• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Carter Reveals He Voted for Bernie Sanders In Democratic Primary

ah Jimmy Carter,

had a Democratic majority and did nothing with it,

-------
the Dems back then were so shitty that they even refused to work with Nixon on a Healthcare bill just because they thought they could do better when it would be their turn,
Carter happened, he did nothing.

What is up with the formatting in this post? How did that happen?

In the past 50 years there have only been three democratic presidents.

No there have been 4: Obama, Clinton, Carter, and LBJ.

Carter was the guy who was so ineffective that he faced a primary challenge from Ted Kennedy in 1980.

LBJ? The guy who couldn't get out of Vietnam LBJ? The guy who did so poorly he became the only modern sitting president who LOST a primary challenge for re-election?

First off LBJ didn't lose any primaries. He simply chose not to run for reelection.

Second even WITH LBJ's fuck up in Vietnam, he's absolutely a million times better than Carter for passing:

- The Civil Rights Act
- The Voting Rights Act
- Fair Housing Act
- Constitutional Amendment banning poll taxes
- Welfare Act
- Medicare Act

Just off the top of my head.

And if it was LBJ that had tried to get the ERA ratified instead of Carter, then it would have been constitutional law today.

LBJ was a very effectual POTUS who was a little to gung ho about the Cold War, while Carter was the embodiment of a weak president.

ah Jimmy Carter,

had a Democratic majority and did nothing with it,

-------
the Dems back then were so shitty that they even refused to work with Nixon on a Healthcare bill just because they thought they could do better when it would be their turn,
Carter happened, he did nothing.

Don't forget that time that Carter failed to get the Equal Rights Amendment ratified because he was such a weak president.

If it had been LBJ that tried to get the ERA ratified I guarantee you it would have been successfully ratified because LBJ that would have been willing to use every dirty trick there is to get it ratified.

Fisty

Jimmy is a damn hero. And you know he's the best when he has the self-awareness to know that announcing his endorsement of Sanders during the primaries would have sunk him immediately. Good on him

Jarate

Banned
Jimmy Carter has probably won the most out of anybody in America. He is no longer the basis for bad presidents

I mean, debate as you wish his presidential accomplishments, Carter's always seemed like one of the best, most genuine persons to have held the office.

Fisty

I mean, debate as you wish his presidential accomplishments, Carter's always seemed like one of the best, most genuine persons to have held the office.

I would take a hundred years of ineffective Carter presidency over 4 years of ineffective Trump presidency. At least Carter didn't make us look like racist psychos

A good president would have managed to actually do something with a fillibuster-proof congressional majority.
Best American POTUS in recent history? Jimmy Carter? The guy who failed to get the ERA ratified? The guy who did so poorly that he faced a primary challenge for his second term?

And recent? If you are going to claim that 76 recent then why not add another decade and acknowledge the ACTUAL Best POTUS, LBJ?

Not American so I don't care about his "faults", if you can call it that, internally in the democratic party but the fact he was the least interventionist president in like all American history, elevates him almost to the top by default, he's my third favorite US president since Lincoln and FDR. Get some perspective guys.

I agree with that, but in a presidential election obviously you'd have to weigh his achievements against his personality.

I love Carter but he didn't do much as president and I would have feared the same of Sanders had he made it to the GE (disclosure, I voted for Sanders).

Not American so I don't care about his "faults", if you can call it that, internally in the democratic party but the fact he was the least interventionist president in like all American history, elevates him almost to the top by default, he's my third favorite US president since Lincoln and FDR. Get some perspective guys.

How dare the people of the United States worry about what happens in the United States and rightly criticize a completely ineffectual president who had all the pieces needed to make a slam dunk but fucked it up. We're provincial barbarians with no global perspectives.

Also *cackle* at you praising Carter for non-intervention but then praising FDR and Lincoln. They both fought wars that needed to be fought, for the good of this country and humanity, but your juxtaposing them with a non-interventionist (and do-nothing) president seems strange.

Top Bottom