• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yes actually. Bernie has been around the country and including trips to UK & Ireland recently since the convention in last June.

As to the second part, she lied immediately afterwords and said it was the flu but then later came out with pneumonia

This is so embarrassing.

It's almost like reading posts from The_Donald.

SpaceWolf

Banned
yoda-he-is-too-old.jpg

How is acknowledging FDR was successful partly due to being super racist count as a purity test? And that said policies wouldn't be as successful these days because white people don't like their tax money going to helping poor black people.
I was making a joke about how Bernie supporters are constantly accused of having a purity test and joigly tgrowig it back at the poster.

Meh, I'd love to see Cory Booker run though.

Why?

As Newark mayor, he accepted a $100 million donation from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to implement a series of drastic reforms in city schools. According to investigative reporter Dale Russakoff, the people of Newark found out about it from Oprah: Zuckerberg and Booker appeared on the show to announce the grant. Most of the funds later went to charter schools. He’s long been a proponent of school vouchers, despite evidence that voucher programs don’t actually create better educational outcomes for students.

He also has close ties to Silicon Valley and Wall Street. In 2013, this magazine reported that Booker had been late to disclose the extent of his stake in Waywire, a tech startup he helped found during his tenure as mayor. There were other troubles; Waywire also employed Booker’s associates, and CNN’s Jeff Zucker’s then-14 year old child sat on its board. (Booker eventually stepped down from the startup.)

And he handed Mitt Romney an unexpected favor in 2012. On Meet the Press, he called attacks on Romney’s ties to Bain Capital and private equity “nauseating.” It apparently paid off: In 2014, WNYC reported that Booker received more Wall Street funding than any other U.S. senator that election cycle.

We can do better than Cory Booker and we should.

This is so embarrassing.

It's almost like reading posts from The_Donald.

What's so embarrassing?

Fact: Bernie has been nonstop around the country with the aforementioned stop offs in the UK & Ireland since not only the primary but after the election

Fact: Hilary did lie about what she had initially. There's even a thread on Gaf about it from when it happened. Go look it up.

Those are indisputable facts.

But enough with this, it's 3:30 and I haven't even had my lunch yet.

KoopaTheCasual

The saddest truth is that a gigantic portion of Americans aren't ready to see a young(ish) black woman embarrass a white male president on the campaign trail.
Do you guys just not know who Kamala Harris is or......?

Please don't let this be a "she's not black enough" thing. Please

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Why?

We can do better than Cory Booker and we should.

As Newark mayor, he accepted a $100 million donation from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to implement a series of drastic reforms in city schools. According to investigative reporter Dale Russakoff, the people of Newark found out about it from Oprah: Zuckerberg and Booker appeared on the show to announce the grant. Most of the funds later went to charter schools. He’s long been a proponent of school vouchers, despite evidence that voucher programs don’t actually create better educational outcomes for students.

It's important to note this was 100 million dollars in matching funds. I don't see any issue with it from a donation only perspective. But this included tax-payer dollars.

He also has close ties to Silicon Valley and Wall Street. In 2013, this magazine reported that Booker had been late to disclose the extent of his stake in Waywire, a tech startup he helped found during his tenure as mayor. There were other troubles; Waywire also employed Booker’s associates, and CNN’s Jeff Zucker’s then-14 year old child sat on its board. (Booker eventually stepped down from the startup.)

"extent of his stake" is reaching a bit, as is basically that entire paragraph.

And he handed Mitt Romney an unexpected favor in 2012. On Meet the Press, he called attacks on Romney’s ties to Bain Capital and private equity “nauseating.” It apparently paid off: In 2014, WNYC reported that Booker received more Wall Street funding than any other U.S. senator that election cycle.

I'm tired of this trope. This is referring to donations from people who work in a job considered to be part of Wall Street. Thus they are limited by the standard donation cap. These get demonized mainly in part because it's some of the few public records on donations we have. This is not referring to the unlimited donations by other means, that are often secret.

Yes. This should be something both Sanders and Clinton '16 primary voters can agree on.
I don't have problem with those things really. I'd be open to a Booker run, but it would depend on his platform. If he takes a stand against senseless business bashing (note: not all business bashing is senseless, but Bernie's mostly was), I'd like that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What's so embarrassing?

Fact: Bernie has been nonstop around the country with the aforementioned stop offs in the UK & Ireland since not only the primary but after the election

Fact: Hilary did lie about what she had initially. There's even a thread on Gaf about it from when it happened. Go look it up.

Those are indisputable facts.

But enough with this, it's 3:30 and I haven't even had my lunch yet.

You also think it's a fact that Bernie would have beaten Trump, so you have an interesting idea of what a "fact" seems to be.

Also, I'm not arguing Bernie's health. I'm arguing that you said he is more healthy than Trump, Hillary and Biden combined. That's a dumb statement of hyperbole and I wasn't the only one to call you out on it.

You're a Bernie fanboy, we get it. It's over, done. Get over it.

Hillary picked up the vast majority of people who voted for Sanders in the primary. Why do you assume the reverse wouldn't be the case?

I'm talking about the 2020 primary. I don't see why people who voted Clinton in the 2016 primary would vote Bernie if there's a good competitor.

I'm talking about the 2020 primary. I don't see why people who voted Clinton in the 2016 primary would vote Bernie if there's a good competitor.
Bernie is way more popular with the democratic base now than he was in 2016. If he campaigns decently he can do well enough next time to gain the support of southern democrats he lost.

I have no idea who they'd end up voting for because I don't know who else will be running (assuming Sanders even runs again, which is far from certain) and what might happen between now and January 2020, but I don't see any reason why Sanders would be uniquely incapable of appealing to 2016 Clinton voters, outside the small minority that actively dislikes him.

FromAtoX

I'm totally fine with an Old Bernie running in 2020 as long as he gets an eye patch and Octocamo suit. But seriously if he chooses a young and exciting running mate, we'll have a very good chance of defeating Trump and the GOP.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Don't a lot of people who get pneumonia get it after having the flu or cold?

Don't you understand? Hillary LIED.

She broke the trust of the Bernie American voter. She said she had the flu and then she said she had pneumonia.

How dare that evil woman.

Psh, I voted for Bernie in the primary but now I'm just going to vote for Trump.

TwiztidElf

It's representative of how much he cares about making the world a better place.

At 78 he could be sitting on a beach with a handkerchief on his head saying "Fuck ya'll".
Instead he wants to be president.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's representative of how much he cares about making the world a better place.

At 78 he could be sitting on a beach with a handkerchief on his head saying "Fuck ya'll".
Instead he wants to be president.

I think this is the message people should be taking from this. Fuck his age. If Bernie believes he can do it, then he should do it.

legacyzero

Banned
All this "He's too old" mess.

FDR served 12 years fighting Polio for most of it. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much an issue.

Though, I do see him bowing out if a stronger, younger, more firey candidate comes along to support his platform.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nah.

Bernie is too old to be at the top of the ticket. But I'd be open to him taking the VP spot to shit on Pence in the debate.

Kisaya

No thanks. He's pretty shitty about reproductive rights and Middle Eastern politics, and it's just going to further regress the older he gets.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Surprised I don't see more support for Biden from those who were burned by Bernie's burn. Did he say he wasn't going to run or something?

Bernie could die of old age, sitting in the oval office signing bills and making EOs.

I would still vote for him. I'd still want him as President. No one knows when anyone will die, but I'd take that risk to have Bernie as President in 2021.

Absolutely not.

He has made statements about "identity politics" that make me sideye him now that the 2016 election is over.

EDIT: Also don't get me wrong...if Bernie was the Democratic candidate for President, I would definitely vote for him, but he couldn't even beat Hillary in the primary...and before anyone flexes their fingers, Barack Obama was more popular than Bernie or Hillary could ever be as a presidential candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom