• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think this stupid straw man would stop existing after the news of the Sanders FBI investigation, but here we are.

Have you seen the details of the FBI case? is it about handling US classified material? is it about possible collusion with an enemy state? It would be fun to pit them all against each other to see who people still like the most.

Bernie is too old

We need Biden to run

Or Jimmy Carter. People are going to make Carter-Trump comparisons until the end of time. Don't let them, Jimmy! Take your revenge with a long-overdue second term.

How about we vote for someone I their 40s who has some damn common sense.

Tired of old baby bloomer thinking controlling this country.

These people had their time... it's time for new blood to inherit this society.

I argue the old people fucked this all up in the first place.

I think most people, probably even including Bernie, would love to do that. But where's that person? Like I mentioned earlier, the Democrats had eight years to find a successor to Obama. They saw Obama's rise. He was a young and extremely charismatic politician that managed to connect with young voters on a level that we hadn't seen in a long time. Their answer was to go with Clinton. Someone that has no charisma and struggles to connect to young people.

ah yes put up the man that lost a primary to hillary clinton to go against a sitting president

this is a brilliant idea
Part of the Hillary's campaign pushed the "pied piper strategy" of using media allies to push Trump and Cruz as serious candidates because if they won the primary they'd lose the GE because they're "unelectable."

It's not too riduculous of an idea that interal party politics don't necessarily create beyter candidates for the general election isn't thst radical of an idea.

How about we vote for someone I their 40s who has some damn common sense.

Tired of old baby bloomer thinking controlling this country.

These people had their time... it's time for new blood to inherit this society.

I argue the old people fucked this all up in the first place.
I mean sure. We'd love to vote for a young exciting candidate in their 40s.

Problem is we don't have many. (Or any? Gillibrand and Harris will be in their 50s by 2020 I think. But yeah that's much better than basically 80)

Also it won't be boomers that will be deciding the race if Bernie wins. It'll be because of young voters, and the lack of other candidates who have an agenda that gives them some sort of hope that they aren't basically positioned for a life of renting a single bedroom apparentment, unmarried, working a shitty retail job. Etc.

Good luck with candidacy. He's not bad, but I can't say I see him uniting the democratic base.

On the flipside, this would get the insufferable what ifs to stop if he managed to lose to Trump after 4 years of unpopular orange presidency, much like the only vaguely positive documented effect of Trump ever was the end of the "yas queen" dumb shit.

Carter2020_2jpeg.jpg

i'd hope there's a better progressive alternative by then but if it's between sanders and someone like corey booker or chris murphy i'll gladly vote for ol' bernie

Fury451

Banned
Setting aside anything else he's too old. I don't just mean for political reasons, I mean he is literally too old.

Yep. It was this year or not at all. It's not at all.

Dems need to find someone that has Bernie's appeal and about 20 years less of his age.

Biden will also be too old, sad to say.

watershed

Banned
Age is a killer but Trump ain't no spring chicken either. Plus, opposition parties typically run some pretty terrible candidates against sitting presidents so I wouldn't mind Bernie getting a shot in a GE. His ideas and appeal are real. He'd do better than some empty suit at least.

I mean sure. We'd love to vote for a young exciting candidate in their 40s.

Problem is we don't have many. (Or any? Gillibrand and Harris will be in their 50s by 2020 I think. But yeah that's much better than basically 80)

Also it won't be boomers that will be deciding the race if Bernie wins. It'll be because of young voters, and the lack of other candidates who have an agenda that gives them some sort of hope that they aren't basically positioned for a life of renting a single bedroom apparentment, unmarried, working a shitty retail job. Etc.
When the party has been routed on all fronts it leaves us with very shallow pool to pull talent from. I'd love to have a younger candidate as good as Bernie.

Fury451

Banned
Age is a killer but Trump ain't no spring chicken either. Plus, opposition parties typically run some pretty terrible candidates against sitting presidents so I wouldn't mind Bernie getting a shot in a GE. His ideas and appeal are real. He'd do better than some empty suit at least.

Trump is too old already. Bernie will be 79-80 by 2020. If he was able to serve 4 years, he'd be 84. Biden would be 78-79, 83 after four.

Good luck with candidacy. He's not bad, but I can't say I see him uniting the democratic base.

On the flipside, this would get the insufferable what ifs to stop if he managed to lose to Trump after 4 years of unpopular orange presidency, much like the only vaguely positive documented effect of Trump ever was the end of the "yas queen" dumb shit.

He's more popular within the Democratic Party than any other Democrat with a national profile, save perhaps Obama or Biden. (for comparison, Clinton's favorables are about the same, but her unfavorables are much higher)

However, the small minority of the party that dislikes him overlaps heavily with where its institutional power is concentrated, so that's a real obstacle to any 2020 run.

.JayZii

Banned
Today? Yes. In 4 years? Who knows.

Shape is pretty irrelevant in this case. You also have to convince the public that he's worth voting for while pushing 80.
Well they just voted for an obese 71 year old who took a golf cart rather than walking 200 feet so...

Fury451

Banned
The man's already had to give up his peanut farm once. Don't make him go through that ordeal again!

I for one am glad that we mandate our President does not have business and financial conflicts of interest while in office and are mandated to give up their assets to a blind trust.

Well they just voted for an obese 71 year old who took a golf cart rather than walking 200 feet so...

True, I guess that's somewhat hopeful in a bizarre way then.

He's more popular within the Democratic Party than any other Democrat with a national profile, save perhaps Obama or Biden. (for comparison, Clinton's favorables are about the same, but her unfavorables are much higher)

However, the small minority of the party that dislikes him overlaps heavily with where its institutional power is concentrated, so that's a real obstacle to any 2020 run.
on the plus side I imagine he (or a successor candidate) could more reliably expect union endorsements in 2020

if Bernie had SEIU on board in 2016 I imagine he could have won Nevada and I imagine a successor candidate would have a good shot at winning the IA/NH/NV if they could improve even a little on his performance before voting started.

KoopaTheCasual

Have you seen the details of the FBI case? is it about handling US classified material? is it about possible collusion with an enemy state? It would be fun to pit them all against each other to see who people still like the most.
Campaign wise: It's arguably worse. Having an open FBI investigation about bank fraud, when Sanders entire platform is built around having limited involvement with banks and being squeaky clean would have been catastrophic for his image.

Don't understand how you can't see that, but oh well.
So? He's in better shape than Clinton & Trump (and Biden) combined.

Ahh, I see we've entered the "my dad would beat up your dad" stage of the debate.

Why bother having an argument if you're not going to be serious?

How is that not serious? Did you forget Clinton being chucked into a van like a side of beef? And then lying about what she had? I shouldn't have to go into how Trump & Biden are both out of shape.

on the plus side I imagine he (or a successor candidate) could more reliably expect union endorsements in 2020

if Bernie had SEIU on board in 2016 I imagine he could have won Nevada and I imagine a successor candidate would have a good shot at winning the IA/NH/NV if they could improve even a little on his performance before voting started.

She also was helped by the tacit support of Culinary and the Reid Machine, even though they "didn't endorse". Though neither of those things helped Obama in 2008 when Hillary won Nevada, so maybe Nevada just is down with Hill.

But yes, SEIU + Culinary would be a huge boon to Nevada.

He would have had they let their members vote on it but union leaders picked her instead. That was par for the course though. Every single union Bernie won was through member voting.

She also was helped by the tacit support of Culinary and the Reid Machine, even though they "didn't endorse". Though neither of those things helped Obama in 2008 when Hillary won Nevada, so maybe Nevada just is down with Hill.

But yes, SEIU + Culinary would be a huge boon to Nevada.
Nevada was close enough that I think union support for Bernie would have flipped it for him. Certainly not NH numbers but he would've have pulled a win there I think.

The saddest truth is that a gigantic portion of Americans aren't ready to see a young(ish) black woman embarrass a white male president on the campaign trail.

I mean, can we wait until Nina or even Our Revolution make significant headway before making predictions.

Because right now, she got a previous track record of some time in office, a massive L, and a reputation of being egotistical and immature.

Not great signs compared to others being considered. Even Bernie

I mean, can we wait until Nina or even Our Revolution make significant headway before making predictions.

Because right now, she got a previous track record of some time in office, a massive L, and a reputation of being egotistical and immature.

Not great signs compared to others being considered. Even Bernie

https://twitter.com/zatchry/status/880938879926378496

Nina Turner: Our Revolution will endorse Republicans, Libertarians, Green Party.

DDm5O-RVwAAFerA.jpg:large

History of helping the opposition would also kill her in a dem primary

ZeoVGM

Banned
How is that not serious? Did you forget Clinton being chucked into a van like a side of beef?

I, for one, am shocked that an old person had a health issue when campaigning to be president. Surely, Bernie would have been immune to this if he kept campaigning into November.

And then lying about what she had?

Got a link to that? First I've heard of her lying about it.

I shouldn't have to go into how Trump & Biden are both out of shape.

This is all fine and good for you to say. But you said that Bernie was more in shape than all three of them combined. You know that's dumb, I know that's dumb. If you want to have a logical argument, stop using hyperbolic nonsense.

You guys and your purity tests.

But seriously, Bernie Sanders has FDR's economic vision while also being one of the most progressive senators on racial, lgbt rights and social justice. It's why he's literally the most popular politician now.

Democrats best chance for 2020 is Clinton wing of the party to lay down their arms and unite behind Bernie Sanders and his message. Look at the gains made in the U.K. when the more conservative wing of the party stopped trying to sabotage Corbyn.

How is acknowledging FDR was successful partly due to being super racist count as a purity test? And that said policies wouldn't be as successful these days because white people don't like their tax money going to helping poor black people.

Ecotic

There's a lot to love about Bernie's platform but I can't get past his aversion to free trade. I still mourn the TPP.

I, for one, am shocked that an old person had a health issue when campaigning to be president. Surely, Bernie would have been immune to this if he kept campaigning into November.

Got a link to that? First I've heard of her lying about it.

This is all fine and good for you to say. But you said that Bernie was more in shape than all three of them combined. You know that's dumb, I know that's dumb. If you want to have a logical argument, stop using hyperbolic nonsense.

Yes actually. Bernie has been around the country and including trips to UK & Ireland recently since the convention in last June.

As to the second part, she lied immediately afterwords and said it was the flu but then later came out with pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom