• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think his age should be seen as a negative considering how long he's been in politics for and the message he's been carrying all this time. I strongly believe he would've been president had the media and the dnc not worked against him.

Dude Abides

Banned
The remaining Bernie deadenders (not all Bernie supporters) hate Hillary and Democrats so mindlessly and virulently that they can't imagine the feeling isn't mutual.

gun_haver

How can anybody know if he's actually too old? Maybe he'll be totally lucid, everybody's different with that kind of thing. He seems pretty vigorous to me. I get it, he could 'die of old age', or something. Anybody could die with little warning, Trump's old as fuck too and is also obese, hasn't stopped him. If he is too old that'd become clear during the early campaign, it's not like Sanders would sit down in the oval office on day 1 and say 'oh shit I'm 78 years old, where are my keys *dies*'.

I think people are just trying to pre-empt voters looking at him and thinking 'wow what an old fucking man' and not voting for him, because some voters will be that stupid, yeah. So to be on the safe side I'd find somebody similar to Bernie Sanders with the same capacity to motivate the left and the youth vote, but who is <70. That person might not exist but it's still a few years away you never know. Nobody had any idea who Bernie Sanders was 4 years ago either.

I don't think his age should be seen as a negative considering how long he's been in politics for and the message he's been carrying all this time. I strongly believe he would've been president had the media and the dnc not worked against him.

He couldn't even beat Hillary in the primary...also the media was anti-intelligence for the entire 2016 election, they were not exclusively against Bernie.

DTC

you guys need to open your eyes

the 2020 election is going to be the battle of the great grandpas between Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush, both fighting for the second term they deserve

The remaining Bernie deadenders (not all Bernie supporters) hate Hillary and Democrats so mindlessly and virulently that they can't imagine the feeling isn't mutual.
It takes two to tango. Even innocuous threads about Bernie or actual good news like him working with Cuomo to push that college plan in NY end up as dumpster fires because Hillary supporters can't resist attackimg him or his supporters. Shit absolutely goes both ways.

He couldn't even beat Hillary in the primary...also the media was anti-intelligence for the entire 2016 election, they were not exclusively against Bernie.

There's a large difference between going against Hillary Clinton for a democratic nomination than there is going against Trump for presidency. Sander's strong point was his ability to gain support from both sides including the rural vote which helped lead Trump to victory.

Have you not been on these forums or stepped in Poligaf since 2014?

I would love to live in this alternate reality where PoliGAF is incredibly welcoming and not at all overwhelmingly hostile to any criticism of Hillary or the Democratic establishment from the left. Would be nice.

(It's at least gotten better since the election, but not enough)

Dude Abides

Banned
It takes two to tango. Even innocuous threads about Bernie or actual good news like him working with Cuomo to push that college plan in NY end up as dumpster fires because Hillary supporters can't resist attackimg him or his supporters. Shit absolutely goes both ways.

It takes one to post a nonsense cliche. Hillary people (and others) got annoyed with Bernie when he wouldn't take his L and was parroting Trump-style attacks, and that's about it. Meanwhile the nutjob segment of the Bernie base tried to duck up the Democratic National Convention even after Bernie was supporting Clinton. They were the PUMAs of 2016.

Serious question - have you ever seen or posted in literally any Bernie thread in the last year? Overrun with rabid Hillary supporter echo chamber every single time to the point it's unbearable to attempt to discuss it here

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I mean if he got a really qualified Vice President who was at the oldest their mid 50's it could work. Only because he would be running against another 70 something year old (assuming we don't impeach Trump by 2020)

It takes one to post a nonsense cliche. Hillary people (and others) got annoyed with Bernie when he wouldn't take his L and was parroting Trump-style attacks, and that's about it. Meanwhile the nutjob segment of the Bernie base tried to duck up the Democratic National Convention even after Bernie was supporting Clinton. They were the PUMAs of 2016.
Seriously. Like a week or so ago (maybe a month?) there was that thread where Bernie and Elizabeth Warren were campaigning for honestly I don't remember. Probably fighting Trumpcare and the thread was immediately shat up with the usual faces with shit like "Bernie must be so angry having to share a platform with a woman." And "You can tell how little respect he has for her." It's like clockwork.

I was a huge Bernie supporter and I don't think even he'd want to run in 2020. If there's any progressive candidate that shows potential he'll back them but that's about it. I'd love to see Elizabeth Warren run with the endorsement of Hillary and Bernie.

yrba1

Pass, we need someone with a fresh mindset who can rally both progressives and moderates together. As much as I love the progressive wings of the DNC a la Sanders and Warren, they lack the charisma to speak for both sides like Obama did.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Have you not been on these forums or stepped in Poligaf since 2014?

You are out of your fucking mind if you actually believe the vast majority of people that voted for Clinton would be upset to see Bernie win in 2020, or, given a different primary, upset to see him win in 2016

Absolutely, legitimately delusional. You'd have to be so full of koolaid that your piss is red.

Pass, we need someone with a fresh mindset who can rally both progressives and moderates together. As much as I love the progressive wings of the DNC a la Sanders and Warren, they lack the charisma to speak for both sides like Obama did.

In Obama's case, it was more like the charisma to speak for one side without getting called on it by the other.

There's a large difference between going against Hillary Clinton for a democratic nomination than there is going against Trump for presidency. Sander's strong point was his ability to gain support from both sides including the rural vote which helped lead Trump to victory.

If he couldn't make it past the democratic primary, his chances in the general election were even smaller.

I was a huge Bernie supporter and I don't think even he'd want to run in 2020. If there's any progressive candidate that shows potential he'll back them but that's about it. I'd love to see Elizabeth Warren run with the endorsement of Hillary and Bernie.
If Hillary endorsed anyone I think her shortlist is Gillibrand>Booker>Cuomo>Harris in that order. Gillibrand and Booker are much mpre in line with her politically. I can also see her staying out of it entirely since her involvement could be toxicand damaging.

You are out of your fucking mind if you actually believe the vast majority of people that voted for Clinton would be upset to see Bernie win in 2020, or, given a different primary, upset to see him win in 2016

Absolutely, legitimately delusional. You'd have to be so full of koolaid that your piss is red.
I don't think most Clinton voters would be upset with Sanders unless he had a huge fall from grace. Despite how contentious things feel online I think if he did get the nomination the overwhelming majority would be happy with him. It's just a select few people on this forum and in liberal press outlets I'm referring to.

Dude Abides

Banned
Seriously. Like a week or so ago (maybe a month?) there was that thread where Bernie and Elizabeth Warren were campaigning for honestly I don't remember. Probably fighting Trumpcare and the thread was immediately shat up with the usual faces with shit like "Bernie must be so angry having to share a platform with a woman." And "You can tell how little respect he has for her." It's like clockwork.

Yes, many people still find Bernie irritating. But they aren't rooting for him to lose his next election. The only person who even ame close to the level of vitriol of Berniewouldawon people like is he who shall not be named.

I appreciate the amateur psychoanalysis, Father_Brain. The cowardice less so.

The point is that PoliGAF doesn't represent the vast majority of people who voted for Clinton and never did, precisely because of the abundant anti-Sanders and anti-left vitriol there.

Eh, you're right, that was a silly thing to say based on a single post. Sorry, deleted.

Volimar

I voted for Bernie in the primary so I'd be fine with him as president, but I think he needs to move a little on a couple things and not get caught using bad math again for his plans.

SMH at people still thinking of this as if it were a Super Bowl. Bernie and Hillary would have had an almost identical democrat platform and if he runs and wins in 2020 I think that most of 2016's Hillary supporters will be ecstatic at the prospect of being in a position to undo some of the evils that Trump has wrought.

The point is that PoliGAF doesn't represent the vast majority of people who voted for Clinton and never did, precisely because of the abundant anti-Sanders and anti-left vitriol there.

There was/is no anti-left vitriol. We all want kinda the same thing. The differences are slight.

Zereta

I am beyond trying to identify who should run. Have we learned nothing from 2016?

Let Democrats choose their candidate at the primaries. If that's Bernie, great.

There was/is no anti-left vitriol. We all want kinda the same thing. The differences are slight.
Yes but we don't want it exactly as they do so we're "no true leftists" or something.

Not believing in Sanders messaging and plans for things doesn't mean I don't want what he wants as the end result.

In fact I am against him because I want what he wants the end result to be, I just think his plans to get it aren't rational or sane.

Well, speaking of anti-left/anti-Sanders vitriol...

We don't need another cult of personality splitting the party apart if he doesn't win the primary again.

The notion that Sanders is "splitting the party apart" is objectively false. The only way you could believe it is if in you're a bubble filled with anti-Sanders/anti-left sentiment.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

No, I would ammend my statement to explicitly include the vast majority of Clinton-supporting GAF posters. The amount that would seriously have a negative feeling about Sanders beating Trump would be in the single digits.

Yes, many people still find Bernie irritating. But they aren't rooting for him to lose his next election. The only person who even ame close to the level of vitriol of Berniewouldawon people like is he who shall not be named.

Literally two pages ago or so there was a guy saying Bernie dying would be the best thing to happen to the 2020 primaries. That might be a little vitriolic. You're being deliberately blind to your own side.

Literally two pages ago or so there was a guy saying Bernie dying would be the best thing to happen to the 2020 primaries. You're being deliberately blind to your own side.
You legit only ever post when there's the opportunity to berate and belittle Hilary Clinton and anybody who tangentially supports her.

Glass houses and stones and all that.

Nafai1123

Banned

The notion that Sanders is "splitting the party apart" is objectively false. The only way you could believe it is if in you're a bubble filled with anti-Sanders/anti-left sentiment.

Never said Bernie, I said the cult of personality aka the people that demonized the Democratic party and refused to participate because of a perceived slight against their candidate of choice. I actually like Bernie.

Sanders supporters not being able to move on and compromise are splitting the party apart. Clinton and her wing compromised and put together a progressive platform. People like you have to accept that you won't get everything on your wishlist and compromise and move forward.
Literally two pages ago or so there was a guy saying Bernie dying would be the best thing to happen to the 2020 primaries. You're being deliberately blind to your own side.
That's one guy.

Sanders supporters not being able to move on and compromise are splitting the party apart. Clinton and her wing compromised and put together a progressive platform. People like you have to accept that you won't get everything on your wishlist and compromise and move forward.

That's one guy.

I'm curious what you define as compromise here and how.

Like, Sanders is literally out there right now campaigning hard to defend the ACA. If that's not compromise, what is?

Hell, how is Sanders endorsing Clinton and campaigning for her not compromise?

Was more than two pages my bad.

not saying that post was okay, but it did distinctly come off as snark in the vein of that "purity test" post

The saddest truth is that a gigantic portion of Americans aren't ready to see a young(ish) black woman embarrass a white male president on the campaign trail.

i'm ready to see Actual Black Female Senator Kamala Harris break Trump in half should she decide to run

I'm curious what you define as compromise here and how.

Like, Sanders is literally out there right now campaigning hard to defend the ACA. If that's not compromise, what is?

Hell, how is Sanders endorsing Clinton and campaigning for her not compromise?

I'm pretty sure I said Sanders supporters.

I voted for Bernie in the primaries and looking back I would again, but this ain't the way man. We gotta let go of this hillary/bernie shit. it's not the party of bernie, and it's not the party of hillary. Move forward. If we go down this road it's gonna be the same shit for the next 7-11 years as you see every day on GAF: "You're a monster/idiot for supporting Bernie." "No, you're a monster/idiot for supporting Hillary." Have fuckin fun with that.

And that's to say nothing about the age thing, but there's been plenty of talk about that so I don't feel like I have a unique 2 cents on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom