• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nukezilla Rumor: Durango's processor is the mythical ARM/x86 hybrid lochness monster

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ARM cores? In a console?

Next time you will tell me Windows runs on ARM... ;). Jokes aside, it is not out the realm of possibility (although unlikely)... Look at the specs for Cortex-A15 CPU's and imagine 8 of such cores (with next-generation NEON vector FPU) running at 2 GHz. Sure, nothing that would blow an Ivy Bridge CPU out of the water, but nothing too shabby either.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
people, people, please use real terms and figures when discussing these matters. how many xbox 360s is that?

M3d10n

Lol, this is insanely fake.

x86 and ARM architectures are completely different things. You cannot have both at the same time... Why do you think Microsoft had to make a completely different version of Windows 8 for ARM systems?

Actually, you can have multiple CPUs with different architectures. There are server blades that have both X86-64 and Cell SPUs. Of course, each one needs code compiled specifically for it.

Guys guys, what if...

what if...

The 6 cores and ARM is for the tablet controler and the 8 cores and x86 is for the actual console?!

Megaton!

Portugeezer

seems-legit-14319.jpg

Proelite

This is legit. Ive seen the documents first hand in person. It was 4 pages long too without any double spaces.

Next time you will tell me Windows runs on ARM... ;). Jokes aside, it is not out the realm of possibility (although unlikely)... Look at the specs for Cortex-A15 CPU's and imagine 8 of such cores (with next-generation NEON vector FPU) running at 2 GHz. Sure, nothing that would blow an Ivy Bridge CPU out of the water, but nothing too shabby either.

Why Cortex A15 and not ARMv8 64bit?

EDIT:

If Nintendo was smart Wii U would have been an ARM/IMGTEC powered console launched at or near a small set top box price point. If Nintendo was smart...

McHuj

64 ALU don't really mean anything without defining what a ALU is in this particular instance. The worst case would be that these are the equivalent of the Xenos shaders. The 360 has 48 of them running at 500 MHz. So this would be in the ballpark of 2-3X faster than the current box.

There's no way an ALU would be the equivalent of a shader. That would simply be too weak. I don't think an ALU would be the equivalent of a GCN compute unit (CU), that would be 2x the 7970's shader count. I'll predict an ALU is equivalent to 16 shaders. It's a nice power of two and about 1/4 the size of a GCN shader.

So a prediction if this is true. 64 ALU's are the equivalent of 1024 GCN shaders and at 1 GHz, it would put the performance slightly above a 7850.

BurntPork

Banned
lol

Really, this site should be banned for this. I mean seriously?

64 ALU don't really mean anything without defining what a ALU is in this particular instance. The worst case would be that these are the equivalent of the Xenos shaders. The 360 has 48 of them running at 500 MHz. So this would be in the ballpark of 2-3X faster than the current box.

There's no way an ALU would be the equivalent of a shader. That would simply be too weak. I don't think an ALU would be the equivalent of a GCN compute unit (CU), that would be 2x the 7970's shader count. I'll predict an ALU is equivalent to 16 shaders. It's a nice power of two and about 1/4 the size of a GCN shader.

So a prediction if this is true. 64 ALU's are the equivalent of 1024 GCN shaders and at 1 GHz, it would put the performance slightly above a 7850.

This post reeks of desperation.

BurntPork

Banned
Why Cortex A15 and not ARMv8 64bit?

EDIT:

If Nintendo was smart Wii U would have been an ARM/IMGTEC powered console launched at or near a small set top box price point. If Nintendo was smart...

No. No that would not be smart.

Let me guess: this "logic" is based on the "weaker than 360" rumors, right? Like, since it's going to be weaker anyway, it might as well be a lot weaker and super cheap, right?

BurntPork

Banned

Because it would result in a ridiculously weak console than can't even run current-gen games properly, let alone with an extra screen. It would also mean no Wii BC, and the Virtual Console emulators would have to be rewritten. You only think it's a good idea because it would be cheap enough that you wouldn't regret buying it. It's a terrible idea.

360 technically has 240 (48 x 5). I made that same mistake before though. So by comparison this would mean the new Xbox has 320 (64 x 5).

Less shaders than Wii U confirmed. Needs more shaders.

MOAR SHAYDUHS!

I stand corrected. :D

No. No that would not be smart.

Let me guess: this "logic" is based on the "weaker than 360" rumors, right? Like, since it's going to be weaker anyway, it might as well be a lot weaker and super cheap, right?

Don't reply to me in ignorance questioning my reasoning. Do you know what ARMv8 64bit is? You obviously don't.

Yo Gotti

Banned

ARM CPU's are no slouch, and incredibly impressive compared to what something like mobile CPU's were doing 5 years ago, but we're up to Quad-Core 1.5GHZ ARM processors in Smart Phones by now aren't we? And most of them still lag trying to play HD videos in a web browser. They're a looong ways off from powering graphics rendering machines like videogame consoles.

McHuj

360 technically has 240 (48 x 5). I made that same mistake before though. So by comparison this would mean the new Xbox has 320 (64 x 5).

I understand that. But there's also a doubled clock. So you have 33% more shaders and a 2x factor in clock. 360: 240 Shaders @ 500 MHz = 240 Gigaflops vs 320 shaders at 1 GHz = 640 gigaflops. Assuming identical archicture that about 2.7X in terms of flops.

I've actually never heard of this site before. Is there any reason to think anything here is legit.

Top Bottom