• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

Solid07

Banned
why do people buy top end amd cards over nvidia ones?

im genuinely interested, because from what i've seen nvidia has better drivers resulting
in better performance, better antialiasing support and compatability with numerous profiles,
and they seem to outperform the amd cards whilst costing around the same.

They're cheaper and you get more performance out of your money in some cases like mine. I bought my unlockable HD6950 2GB for $230 when Nvidia's 560 Ti hovered around $250. Considering I can have HD6970 2GB basically for $230, it made sense to me.

Not to mention you can connect 3+ monitors on a single card.

tokkun

What's a "successor"? GK104/680 will be faster than 580 but it won't be the fastest of GK GPUs.

I'd say the successor is the card that occupies the same price segment, and am increasingly worried that the GK104 will in fact be the successor to the 580.

dr_rus

460 -> 560
470 -> 570
480 -> 580 -> x

so the fastest one will be the 690? And it won't be dual gpu?
So what card is the successor to 9800 then?
I don't know what name they'll use for GK110 cards and their dual GPU Kepler part. I doubt even they now that right now.

I'd say the successor is the card that occupies the same price segment, and am increasingly worried that the GK104 will in fact be the successor to the 580.
I can't say anything for certain obviously but I think that 680 will launch at $299.

Jubbly

I can't say anything for certain obviously but I think that 680 will launch at $299.

original.0

$299 is way too cheap. This thing is a successor to the 580, a $400-$500 card.

dr_rus

original.0

$299 is way too cheap. This thing is a successor to the 580, a $400-$500 card.
This is my expectation going from the data about GK104 that I have. It may cost as high as $349. If it'll be more than that then I'll be dissapointed in its pricing much the same way I'm completely dissapointed in AMD's 7000 series pricing right now. GK104 is a mid range GPU with 256 bit bus thus any card on it should cost as a mid range card.

A given name can't be a successor to anything. GK110 is the successor to GF110 in complexity and production costs. GK104 is the successor to GF114.

Jubbly

This is my expectation going from the data about GK104 that I have. It may cost as high as $349. If it'll be more than that then I'll be dissapointed in its pricing much the same way I'm completely dissapointed in AMD's 7000 series pricing right now. GK104 is a mid range GPU with 256 bit bus thus any card on it should cost as a mid range card.

A given name can't be a successor to anything. GK110 is the successor to GF110 in complexity and production costs. GK104 is the successor to GF114.

Sorry, it won't be that cheap either :)

1-D_FTW

Performance dictates price, not expectations.

Not historically. Historically there have been doubling of performance with new generations. They haven't said: Oh, jeez, this new mid range architecture is so damn good and matches our last gen high end part, let's price it as the new high end part.

I swear, I honestly believe AMD and Nvidia are engaged in some major collusion ATM. That's the real reason it won't be priced anywhere near 299.99.

artist

Banned
Not historically. Historically there have been doubling of performance with new generations. They haven't said: Oh, jeez, this new mid range architecture is so damn good and matches our last gen high end part, let's price it as the new high end part.

I swear, I honestly believe AMD and Nvidia are engaged in some major collusion ATM. That's the real reason it won't be priced anywhere near 299.99.
Maybe I should have been more elaborate.

"Relative performance dictates price, not expectations."

In the example you mentioned, the price would still in-line relative to the competition.

tokkun

Yes, they probably could sell it at $300, but they won't. The product name indicates what they are trying to communicate to consumers, and the name 680 sets my expectations at over $400.

Maybe there will be a variant of GK104 that is called 670 and comes with fewer processors and lower clocks and sells for $350, but there is absolutely no reason to think a card they are calling GTX680 will go much south of $450, and with AMD's prices as they are now, even that seems on the low end of what Nvidia might price it at.

Exactly, yet everyone seems to accept this as completely normal. It's driving me fucking nuts.

Jubbly

Calling it now: $499, direct replacement for the 580, which will then be reduced in price to around $300-350.

pestul

Interestingly, Toms Hardware is sticking to their guns about the GK104 being only a GTX660'esque part.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpu-kepler-graphics-card-geforce,14921.html

According to reports, the 290 mm2 GK104 chip shown in the pictures will be used in GTX650Ti and GTX 660 graphics cards, which will arrive with 448 and 512 activated stream processors, respectively, as well as a core clock of about 850 and 900 MHz. The first Kepler cards are expected to be announced next month.

Sounds like only a direct replacement of the GTX580 (as in equal performance) to me with a lower price point.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If GK104 slots right up against the 7950, then it's a 660Ti in my eyes (or a 670 if they want, but I'd rather have a part that's faster for that).

Pricing should be under $400. I can't see $300 happening, but I'd welcome it :)

No info on top end kind of sucks.

artist

Banned
New information tricking in from CeBIT
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 brings turbo technology and comes in March

Nvidia is apparently planning to introduce in March, the first graphics card with Kepler graphics chip: The GK104-GPU GeForce GTX 680 from the 28-nanometer manufacturing binds to 2 GB of GDDR5 memory with 256 data lines. This was confirmed by several manufacturers at CeBIT told heise online.] Later versions should therefore come with 4 GB of memory.[/B The exact number of shader cores is still unclear, but it is currently out of 1536 pieces.

A significant departure from the current generation of Nvidia GPUs is the so-called dynamic clocking, or Dynamic Clock Adjustment. This turbo circuit for the graphics chip works much like Intel's Turbo Boost and Intel Turbo Core: Nvidia sets for Kepler graphics card has a maximum power consumption, they do not exceed. In games, the average power consumption is usually well below this value. Then, Kepler graphics cards increase the GPU clock speed on the fly and automatically, until they hit either of the defined limits of power consumption or to a graphics card in the BIOS stored maximum value for the 3D clock frequency. The values ​​for 3DMax and 3D are available for specifying a source in a fixed relationship to each other, a common room would be between 5 and 7 percent. Dynamic Turbo Automatic expected benchmark comparisons difficult with other graphics cards. However, it was to hear from some manufacturers, there will be the launch of the GTX 680 in late March first no-OC versions.

the term is associated with launch of the GeForce GTX 680 to see relatively more of my of H asked, "board partners", that graphics card manufacturers: They expect that Nvidia can initially deliver only small quantities of Kepler graphics chips. Some partners will initially gotten anything. Others criticized the restrictive information policy of Nvidia: "We know almost nothing, although we will sell the cards soon." Even prices on the manufacturer claims to have not been informed. This is a demonstration of the GeForce GTX 680 very shortly before: Tomorrow Nvidia wants to San Francisco a few selected journalists reveal the complete technical details. The participants of the event, just before the CeBIT invited surprising. Nvidia is currently in the defense against AMD, the competitor has already several versions of its 28nm GPUs series Radeon HD made ​​7000 with PCI Express 3.0 interface on the market, not only to DirectX 11.1 compatible and very fast , but also economically idle. The market share from Nvidia is finally dropped .

little concrete we could bring to the show on the expected performance of the 3D GeForce GTX 680 in experience. The circulating on the Internet rumors that the GTX 680, the latest AMD flagship Radeon HD 7970 by up to 25 per cent wanted to overtake, but none confirmed. Instead, it was claimed the 28-nm debut of Nvidia is Battlefield 3 in about 10 percent faster than inferior to a Radeon HD 7970 and the DirectX 11 benchmark 3DMark 11 even.

In April, followed by the GeForce GTX 680 mid-range cards with GK107 graphics chips. On the occasion of the 14th to 17 May at place GPU Technology Conference, Nvidia is planning to introduce a dual-GPU graphics card with two graphics chips GK104. GK110 from large chip that is rumored to contain 2304 shader cores, by summer is nothing to see. He should first come to Tesla supercomputer for computer cards and other HPC systems are used. ( mfi )

TLDR version
  • Several Nvidia partners spoke with Heise
  • GK104 2GB launch in March
  • OC versions and 4GB coming later
  • Nvidia employing "turbo" which OCs the core 5-7% based on preset limits defined in the BIOS
  • Several partners expecting only limited quantities, some not expecting any
  • Press event tomorrow
  • 10% faster than 7970 in BF3 and 3DMark 11
  • GK107 (midrange) in May
  • Dual-GPU GK104 in the plans
  • GK110, rumored to be 2304 CC, not know. Could first be introduced for Tesla and HPC market.

Fixed1979

I can't believe this is the first we're hearing about dynamic clocking on these (unless I missed something). Limited supply is worrying, I better be able to get my hands on one of these things.

McHuj

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
All this teasing is reaching... no... exceeding monumentally silly heights....

1-D_FTW

So 670 Ti eh? It'll have to do.

I'm hoping that's the 104 model. At this point, the performance seems fairly set by the articles being released. We have a fairly good idea of what the window is. To me, the naming scheme will give a good indication of pricing. If that's the flagship model, and they're going with 670 Ti, it means it's not going to be 399.99.

Mindman

Mark Rein said they got that latest tech demo running on a single Keplar card with a 200W power supply. Does this mean I can put a Keplar card in my PC that has a 350W power supply? :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Mark Rein said they got that latest tech demo running on a single Keplar card with a 200W power supply.

Come on man, how plausible is that really? Probably a typo, the gpu is 200w if anything - not the whole system.

You're living in a dream world if you think it was be $300 at launch. I have seen some really insane predictions in this thread.

Top Bottom