• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

artist

Banned
It's sweating @ 1600p otherwise has a tangible lead on the 7970. Wonder if more games and settings benched at 1600p would have been different.

Seems like the bigger the resolution gets the smaller the gap becomes with the 7970, they only tested 1 game @ 2560, man if they price this correctly it will be a good hit to the 7970, im already considering selling mine, need to see more benchies at 2560 and 5760

JudgeN

Nice benches for 1080P, might have to pick this up now. Would love to see a witcher 2 @1080p ultra/4xAA benchmark.

Joy at being able to play metro 2033 @ 60FPS with max settings and 4xAA @1080p.

Yeah, benches look decent. I'm running everything @ 1440p on my main, and 1080p on my 2nd, so my only concern is running out of VRAM. I guess the 4gig option isn't happening, at least at launch. I was able to sell my 560ti OC last week, for what I paid for it, so it worked out well.

I almost pulled the trigger multiple times, on a 7970, so I'm glad I waited. I'll be sniping newegg constantly. Gotta get a card at launch, or it'll be another few weeks of waiting.

gatti-man

Seems like the bigger the resolution gets the smaller the gap becomes with the 7970, they only tested 1 game @ 2560, man if they price this correctly it will be a good hit to the 7970, im already considering selling mine, need to see more benchies at 2560 and 5760

Its obviously neck and neck or a loser at 2560. That's the only reason the benches wouldn't be there. I mean they are practically screaming 1080p in that review. Still IMO a large win for invidia since 2560 gamers are a niche of a niche.

dr_rus

Well, at least it looks like it's more faster compared to 7970 than 7970 was to 580. But even at $500 I still consider it to be overpriced.

-SD-

Banned
Linked on Facebook by NVIDIA Italia: http://www.techstation.it/hardware/...tecnologie-grafiche-presso-nexths-1-4627.html

techstation1du8d.jpg

This is pure sex:

8-e-330782-3ngjoe.png

1-D_FTW

What if I tell you that there is a very good chance of getting a 570 level card from Nvidia at the $200 price point? Will you be happy then?

When I see those words, I think 199.99 or 219.99. Not 299.99. If it's the low 200s, I'll give you an e-kiss. Seems way too hard to believe. But I want to. I wanna believe, GAF. Believe.

EDIT: Grr. Misread and thought you said 670 was going to be priced at that point. If it has 570 level performance, it better have really low power numbers. Low power and price is the only combo that would temp me to make that type of upgrade.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
wow this is just the mid range card and it's wiped the floor with amd's top end card, that's crazy!

In all honesty, as someone who has been eagerly waiting for the next nvidia cards, I don't think "low/mid/high"- end/range means shit anymore if this is the pricing model they're using.

This is an enthusiast top of the line card retailing for ~$550. Their 680/790/4200 ti/whatever kepler flagship can be twice as fast as 7970 but what's the point for the 99.99% of the "enthusiast" pc market if it ends up with a price tag close to a grand?

Fuck I miss the days of the gtx 460.

artist

Banned
wow this is just the mid range card and it's wiped the floor with amd's top end card, that's crazy!
Remember this is the performance chip and not the mid-end. GF114 (560Ti) was also the performance chip, same class as this one but was competitive with AMD's second highest-end 6950. This one is competitive with the bigger bro.

When I see those words, I think 199.99 or 219.99. Not 299.99. If it's the low 200s, I'll give you an e-kiss. Seems way too hard to believe. But I want to. I wanna believe, GAF. Believe.
I'll pass on that e-kiss, how about a brofist? :p Do you still play TF2? Maybe you can play medic and follow me around .. j/k ;)

Do we know what the price is going to be?

Fudzilla says $499:

You might have remember that we said the GTX 680 price wasn't carved in stone and could be easily changed. Today it looks like Nvidia did just that. The new price that partners recieved this morning is $499.

Either Nvidia has seen the general opinion on the GTX 680 higher than expected price tag, or simply dropped the $549 price tag to see AMD's reaction and force another round of price wars. Only Nvidia knows the back story and it is hard to confirm anything, but for now, partners have started hearing talk of a new $499 price tag.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26437-nvidia-gtx-680-price-now-set-at-us-$499

Kaako

Felium Defensor
In all honesty, as someone who has been eagerly waiting for the next nvidia cards, I don't think "low/mid/high"- end/range means shit anymore if this is the pricing model they're using.

This is an enthusiast top of the line card retailing for ~$550. Their 680/790/4200 ti/whatever kepler flagship can be twice as fast as 7970 but what's the point for the 99.99% of the "enthusiast" pc market if it ends up with a price tag close to a grand?

Fuck I miss the days of the gtx 460.
This is how I feel as well. Don't label it mid-range if you're gonna release it for over $500.

jonremedy

Are we getting anything but the 680 these next couple of weeks? I'm looking for a 250-300 dollar GPU, and if we're not getting a 660 or something for that price, I'll just go with a 7850...

sammich

Durante

Great performance/watt.
Disappointing absolute performance for what is supposed to be a top-end card.

Hilarious: benchmarking and ranking high-end GPUs according to results without AA in this day and age.

Chris R

You know what, once I understood what [H] goes for in their reviews it makes sense, I thoroughly enjoy their reviews but its never the first place I look at.

Finding what settings the game is playable at is fine (and a thing more reviews should do). Just don't use VARIABLE settings when benchmarking different cards.

As someone who doesn't care about anything above 1080p, those benchmarks are pretty solid. Too bad about the price though, hopefully it will get AMD to panic a little and slash prices, maybe I could pick a 7950 even though I was looking forward to picking up an Nvidia this time around.

1-D_FTW

I personally have issues with any site that won't bench at 1080P. I realize there are a lot of WoW zealots that think 1080P is the devil's doing for not including space for tons of menus, but get over it. If you're gonna review cards, bench at one of the most popular resolutions out there.

Damn those benchmarks are solid. Looks like a winner... except it's overpriced by $50-100.

I think I'll pick one up. All it needs is an OC to 1.3-1.4 Ghz core and it'll be an absolute monster.

Top Bottom