• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

After building my system, I used the rebate cards to get a 7950 for just under $300, so I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. Right now I can run even the most intensive games I play (FFXIV, TERA, etc) at 60+ FPS 'cause I'm only running a WUXGA resolution (1920x1200).

That being said, this is good for competition.
I see AMD dropping some prices in the near future.
Seeing hints of retail for the 680 going at 550+ initially.

pestul

What? They're pretty much equal at 1600p.

Actually, looking back I guess I didn't notice so many of the 1600p benches. Looks like the GTX680 wins a lot of those too. That's a pretty demanding rez. I think these cards are going to do quite well at multimonitor resolutions too. Will wait for 'any but Toms' now as they have always had a Nvidia/Intel leaning bias.

Lulubop

I game at 1080p, and the benches seem solid for my needs. I'll pick one up after provided it's 500, which is still a bit over priced but i'm looking for a beefy upgrade.

gatti-man

I personally have issues with any site that won't bench at 1080P. I realize there are a lot of WoW zealots that think 1080P is the devil's doing for not including space for tons of menus, but get over it. If you're gonna review cards, bench at one of the most popular resolutions out there.

That makes no sense. It takes an extra 5 minutes to bench at both. Plus given the lower ram and bus speed its relevant to bench high and low.

Looks decent, but I want to wait for Anand's take on it before buying. I also want to wait for the GK110 so the price of the 104 comes down. Sadly I don't think this card is good enough to spark a big price war, it wouldn't make sense for AMD to price aggressively to keep market share with just a 10% performance deficit.

pestul

I'm really impressed with the hi-rez performance now. that was a little unexpected. This is a fantastic card. Too bad it wasn't $399-$449 though or I'd be all over it.

1-D_FTW

They really need to start showing min framerates in those benchmarks.

Honestly, TechReport is my new alter of worship. The way they break down latency makes them second to none in my book.

That makes no sense. It takes an extra 5 minutes to bench at both. Plus given the lower ram and bus speed its relevant to bench high and low.

Except there are quite a few that don't. It's really aggravating to have to take 1650*1050 and 1920*1200 and have to extrapolate in your head what the 1080P benchs would likely be. There's some sites who flat out hate 1080P and do their best to refuse to acknowledge it.

theRizzle

I personally have issues with any site that won't bench at 1080P. I realize there are a lot of WoW zealots that think 1080P is the devil's doing for not including space for tons of menus, but get over it. If you're gonna review cards, bench at one of the most popular resolutions out there.

I completely agree with you here.

I actually went with a 16:9 1080P monitor instead of a 16:10 higher-res because I PC game about 30% of the time on my HDTV on the couch and I am too lazy to switch resolutions every time I change places. And I would rather have a solid 60 on Ultra with AA and stuff on than medium/high at 1600 or something.

It drives me crazy when sites review GPUs and they have benches for 1050 and 1200, but not 1080.

artist

Banned
Actually, looking back I guess I didn't notice so many of the 1600p benches. Looks like the GTX680 wins a lot of those too. That's a pretty demanding rez. I think these cards are going to do quite well at multimonitor resolutions too. Will wait for 'any but Toms' now as they have always had a Nvidia/Intel leaning bias.
Regardless of the bias, the games tested in Tom's review favor the 680.

Just look at this:

8-e-330782-3ngjoe.png

and compare it to:

perfwatt.gif

7970's lead on the 580 goes from 47% in TPU's games down to 17% in Tom's. 7950's lead goes from 70% in TPU's games down to 22% in Tom's. Thats HUGE.

680's overall lead will decrease than what has been shown so far as more games are benched.

TheKurgan

WOW, those benchmarks are huge!

But... my OCed 6950 2GB still runs most games without issue. Do these cards seem like overkill? I am begining to think the hardware is starting to get a ahead of what current games are demanding.

Still very impressive.

Izayoi

Banned
Not referring to your post, referring to another post and people who use Abload in general around here.
abload is the best free image host, bar none.

Looks like the 7970 is the card to get for high resolution gaming. Interesting but not unexpected.
Uh...? They're pretty much even, with the 680 even edging out the 7970 in most cases (stomping in the case of DiRT). And that's with 1GB less VRAM. I'm sure there won't be any competition at all after the 4GB versions come out.

Still impressive that this is their mid-tier part. Will be interesting to see the 690 or whatever they're going to call it.

will wait for 700 series
Good luck, that's a looong wait.

Izayoi

Banned
lol

Even Min.us is better.
No, it really isn't. Min.us resizes and compresses your image, just like almost every other free image host out there. abload allows huge filesizes and never resizes or compresses, and files never expire. As long as you're direct linking (or using adblock) there's no reason to say that it isn't the best.

pestul

Yeah, they shouldn't have any trouble making a good 690 dualgpu card with the power consumption here. That will be a beast of a card with 4GB of ram. Sad that Nvidia decided to completely reject compute with this series though..

Sethos

Banned
No, it really isn't. Min.us resizes and compresses your image, just like almost every other free image host out there. abload allows huge filesizes and never resizes or compresses, and files never expire. As long as you're direct linking (or using adblock) there's no reason to say that it isn't the best.

What, no it doesn't. Just uploaded a large picture and the direct link is exactly the same size on the money, even the same format ( .png ). Sure you aren't confusing it with the free version of imgur. They also keep images indefinitely if it doesn't break their rules and the upload limit per file is 2GB!! - Plus no ads.

No it doesn't. I use Minus all the time and they don't resize or compress anything.

td_rules

Neo Member
So getting this unless a GTX 660 happens anytime soon, had to put up with a GTX 260 from XFX for 3 years that froze whenever I ran source games.
XFX refused to RMA it because it only happened with certain games, I just want to play HL2 on PC :(
/sobstory

Sethos

Banned
So getting this unless a GTX 660 happens anytime soon, had to put up with a GTX 260 from XFX for 3 years that froze whenever I ran source games.
XFX refused to RMA it because it only happened with certain games, I just want to play HL2 on PC :(
/sobstory

XFX has terrible RMA process. When my 8800 Ultra conked out, they wanted me to test it out in a million different PCs to "verify". Fuck 'em.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Honestly, TechReport is my new alter of worship. The way they break down latency makes them second to none in my book.
Welcome.
Regardless of the bias, the games tested in Tom's review favor the 680.

Just look at this:

and compare it to:

7970's lead on the 580 goes from 47% in TPU's games down to 17% in Tom's. 7950's lead goes from 70% in TPU's games down to 22% in Tom's. Thats HUGE.

680's overall lead will decrease than what has been shown so far as more games are benched.
Another reason I don't view Tom's as highly.
abload is the best free image host, bar none.
My only issue with abload is that it loads slow.
Damn those benchmarks are solid. Looks like a winner... except it's overpriced by $50-100.

I think I'll pick one up. All it needs is an OC to 1.3-1.4 Ghz core and it'll be an absolute monster.
lol hopeless

Izayoi

Banned
What, no it doesn't. Just uploaded a large picture and the direct link is exactly the same size on the money, even the same format ( .png ). Sure you aren't confusing it with the free version of imgur. They also keep images indefinitely if it doesn't break their rules and the upload limit per file is 2GB!! - Plus no ads.
No it doesn't. I use Minus all the time and they don't resize or compress anything.
They must've changed it since I last used it. abload was the only host who let you do pretty much whatever you wanted to with filesize and format.

"No ads" is a silly thing to say anyway, the only site on the entire internet that should have ads for you is NeoGAF.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like a nice gpu although I can't see owners of 7970s getting their panties in a bunch. Clearly if your looking for an upgrade then the 680 is the way to go, although that all depends on price.

Good to see the gpu race is still on. My 6970 is still going fine, should do for another year or so, hopefully.

So any idea on when the new Nvidia GPUs are actually coming out? I've been dying to upgrade my 5770 for about a year--ATI's had a shitty couple of years for compatibility--and I'd either get a 570 or 680, depending on the price of each at the 680's launch.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm planning to run mods on games like Gta 4, skyrim etc... Is the card capable? Kind of worried about the ram
What resolution? Anything above 1200p and you're probably better off waiting for the 4GB versions. Should be fine for 1200p and lower, though, depending on your AA solution.

Lucius86

Banned
...somebody stole your 6950?

Got burgled in December, lost my graphics card and 8GB RAM (Police never seen anything like it - blatantly an inside job with the builders who came in earlier in the week doing work) and had to resort back to my 4870. Lost around £1000 of kit. Not cool.

Nice benches - now the prices......

Izayoi

Banned
Got burgled in December, lost my graphics card and 8GB RAM (Police never seen anything like it - blatantly an inside job with the builders who came in earlier in the week doing work) and had to resort back to my 4870. Lost around £1000 of kit. Not cool.

Nice benches - now the prices......
They didn't just take the whole machine?

That's uh... interesting.

Lucius86

Banned
They didn't just take the whole machine?

That's uh... interesting.

I would post pics I took before forensic Police turned up to prove it, plus my sister got burgled on the same day, on my Mum's birthday.....but I have diverted away from the topic enough already!

So are they supposed to launch 2 GPUs in a few days here? 680 and one step below? Or just the 680?

Also, will we see a price drop on the 5xx line? If so, how much? Because I could probably settle for a 570 or 580 now if they dropped in price, and upgrade later. A $500 GPU is a bit too much for me at the moment. Maaaaybe $400, but that would still be pushing my budget.

Another, unrelated question:

What do you people who sell your graphics cards to buy new ones do in the interim? Rely on integrated graphics? It seems like most of you have a "backup" card, but that would mean you kept a card at some point. Why did you keep that card? It's just sort of baffling to me. I suppose the thing that would make the most sense would be to just use a laptop for the time period.

artist

Banned
The folks at B3D are talking Tom's apart, at this rate we need to discard the review.

7970/7950 becoming 10% slower, exact same benchmark and settings.
BeE2n.jpg

The folks at B3D are talking Tom's apart, at this rate we need to discard the review.

BeE2n.jpg

That's scandalous. I never liked Tom's because they felt like a poor man's Anandtech.

So are they supposed to launch 2 GPUs in a few days here? 680 and one step below? Or just the 680?

Also, will we see a price drop on the 5xx line? If so, how much? Because I could probably settle for a 570 or 580 now if they dropped in price, and upgrade later. A $500 GPU is a bit too much for me at the moment. Maaaaybe $400, but that would still be pushing my budget.

What do you people who sell your graphics cards to buy new ones do in the interim? Rely on integrated graphics? It seems like most of you have a "backup" card, but that would mean you kept a card at some point. Why did you keep that card? It's just sort of baffling to me. I suppose the thing that would make the most sense would be to just use a laptop for the time period.

I have 3 spare GPU's in case I need to buy a new one. I have a spare 8800 GT, my iGPU on my 2500k, and a spare GTX 570 1.28 GB sitting in a box. I plan to swap one of those if I sell my 2.5 GB GTX 570 and upgrade to a 680.

Lucius86

Banned

Kept my 4870 in case my new card blew up - I would only have got £50 for it on eBay, though it's best to have a card I know worked fine for 2 years as a reserve.

BeE2n.jpg

Wow. Nice consistency there. But Tom's leaked pics may be not the final version, so we best reserve judgement until they publish the article.

Top Bottom