• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

I think the driver issues people talk about with AMD are in crossfire. I have never had AMD driver problems when using a single GPU. I don't really care though, I will switch in a heartbeat, but AMD cards seem to be engineered very well with their relatively low power consumption.

I listed all the games before but I've never had dual gpu and games like prototype, homefront, (rage) , saints row 3 , skyrim , withcher 2 (hd4800 owners) and many others either took weeks to properly run (homefront) or were never fixed (prototype, witcher 2 for 48xx owners, saints row)

It was smooth sailing till 2010 but since then, oh WOW so bad.

Hari Seldon

I just don't see how the person can make the claim that this new GPU is faster than the 7970. 256-bit bus width is less than both the GTX580 and the 7970.

artist

Banned
Missed on both counts.
Troll failed.
AMD has priced their cards based on market conditions and product positioning - yes the same thing that applied to 4800 series, 5800 series, 6900 series applies to the 7970 as well.
I paid 211 euro's for my Asus 4870 in August of 2008. Two hundred and eleven euro's.
Re-read my post.
I just don't see how the person can make the claim that this new GPU is faster than the 7970. 256-bit bus width is less than both the GTX580 and the 7970.
That is what makes this a shocker.

Emily Chu

Banned
Spoiler tag about gpus ? Really ? Really ?

But anyone notice how BF 3 just fell off the face of the earth ?

On gaf at least

Blackface

Banned
I listed all the games before but I've never had dual gpu and games like prototype, homefront, (rage) , saints row 3 , skyrim , withcher 2 (hd4800 owners) and many others either took weeks to properly run (homefront) or were never fixed (prototype, witcher 2 for 48xx owners, saints row)

It's a case by case basis.

AMD drivers have never once given me problems. Yet people with the same card has me, have had some issues.

Just like there are people with 560 Ti's that get shit FPS in BF3, and STILL can't play Warzones in SWTOR a month after launch, with no word from Nividia.

AMD drivers are not as good as Nvidia, but they are VERY close now. It's not like it used to me. People claiming it is don't know what they are talking about, or are straight up lying.

I will be buying whatever card is the best come the end of March when these by Nvidia are hopefully out. From the looks of it, it will be one of Nvidia's new cards.

That being said, I am not going to delude myself and go on and on about how bad AMD drivers are. They aren't. Both have issues in some cases for some cards.

x3sphere

Uh, there was a day one patch for Rage that fixed my issues , at least on the 6970. Played Skyrim day one on the 6970 no issues as well, running great on my HD7970 also.

Never played Prototype, SR3, or Homefront so cannot comment on those.

'cause it's a lie. Only way it'd be true is if they're using XDR2 RAM or 8 Ghz GDDR5...

Even then, nope. Nvidia would use a 384-bit or 512-bit memory bus.

Call me when nVidia allows Multi Monitor setups to run on one GPU, I drive this with 1*6950 :

B0nQP.jpg

*O*

A rich gaffer!

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm more interested in who's gonna win the ~$200 category. I love my 5770 but freaking hate AMDs drivers. Hopefully nVidia can convince me to hop back over to their side next time I upgrade.

256 bit / 2 GB is surprising, though.

hteng

Banned
well 3 months down the line after Kepler is released you'll see another upgrade from AMD, so it's pretty much a back and forth thing, both sides one upping each other. It's an endless chase imo.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
hows Nvidia's tv out support these days?
Hdmi audio...video play back etc etc.

Having a HTPC is one of the main reasons I've stuck with ATI this long..older Nvidia cards weren't as good overall for HTPC's..but I haven't compared recently.

J-Rod

I swapped over to AMD because of a driver issue. I was hooked on FFXI, and it would run at 15fps on my 8600gt after a driver update. Rolling back made the newer games I were playing run like crap. It was a known issue, and they never fixed it. I previously had a 6600gt and was very happy with it, but I decided if it wasn't fixed by the time I upgrade I would try AMD. Several months later, I bought a 4870 and I can't say I have ever really had any driver issues.

Thoraxes

Having a HTPC is one of the main reasons I've stuck with ATI this long..older Nvidia cards weren't as good overall for HTPC's..but I haven't compared recently.

Good in 720p (i've had zero issues and didn't even need to install anything I didn't already have), but i've had problems with HDMI with my 1080p TV and the resolution looks like shit.

artist

Banned
well 3 months down the line after Kepler is released you'll see another upgrade from AMD, so it's pretty much a back and forth thing, both sides one upping each other. It's an endless chase imo.
No. This (if it turns out true) would be the equivalent of the GTX460 trouncing the 5870. Imagine what GK110 would be like ..

rabhw

Where do people usually sell their video cards when it's time to upgrade? I've got 2 6950's that I'll dump as soon as this comes out. Ebay? [H] forums? Craigslist?

x3sphere

Where do people usually sell their video cards when it's time to upgrade? I've got 2 6950's that I'll dump as soon as this comes out. Ebay? [H] forums? Craigslist?

Usually on H forums or Craigslist. I hate going through eBay, so many fees.

Jtrizzy

I have mine hooked up to a new Denon receiver via the mini hdmi out on my 580, and everything sounds really really good. I tried to do the sound card thing to my old receiver via spdif, and it was a complete pain in the ass.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
why do people buy top end amd cards over nvidia ones?

im genuinely interested, because from what i've seen nvidia has better drivers resulting
in better performance, better antialiasing support and compatability with numerous profiles,
and they seem to outperform the amd cards whilst costing around the same.

Because I bought a Riva TNT and it didn't work. I bought an AMD card and it did.

I've needed a new card for a while.

I was hoping 580's would get a price drop after the 7970 release. But now, I'm just going to wait for the inevitable 7970 price drop after kepler releases. Competition is a beautiful thing ain't it?

Hawk269

I have a Nvidia 580 and TV output via HDMi and Audio is outstanding. No issues at all and the sound is really goood.

Gav47

Not really surprising, Its in Nvidia's best interest to be the most powerful otherwise they would have to compete with AMD on TDP and price point neither of which they'd be able to.
I hope AMD drop their prices when kepler is released, I usually go for the second fastest card in Nvidia's line up but if the 670/770 is the same price/performance as the 7970 I may have to go with AMD for the (almost certain) lower power consumption.

Antiochus

Ho ho

My oh my

It indeed looks like Charlie is not lying, for Fudo has corrobated his report, and some more:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25636-nvidia-28nm-gk104-gpu-specs-revealed

Nvidia's next-generation 28nm GPU architecture, codenamed Kepler, is officially expected to launch in early Q2 2012 according to the latest schedule we have seen from the company. Although the company will technically be launching one quarter behind AMD, we can still expect to see a few noteworthy design wins in the enthusiast and performance segments, beginning with GK110 in April and following up with GK104, GK107 and GK108.

The latest report from sources overseas claims that Nvidia's GK104 GPU, the successor to 40nm GF114 (see: Geforce GTX 560, Geforce GTX 560 Ti), will feature a 256-bit memory interface, will pack 2GB of memory capacity and should have a 225W TDP. Nevertheless, the GK104 will most likely be branded as Geforce GTX 660 and may very well have a Geforce GTX 660 Ti variant later down the release roadmap.

Many analysts are expecting 28nm GK104 to get a big boost in CUDA cores. Some estimates are projecting as many as 768 CUDA cores or "well above 2 teraflops" of raw performance, which roughly equates to 50-percent more compute power than the current flagship Geforce GTX 580 single-GPU card with its 1.56 teraflops. While we don't have exact information on these specifications yet, we expect more information on the exact details of CUDA cores, texture units and ROPs in the very near future.

A side report from the Chinese bothan Napoleon also gave hint to it a week ago, but at the time seemed outlandish until now...

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-346223-1-1.html

Translation: Gtx "680" (likely 660 actually considering recent...changes) roughly on par with 7970, 780MHZ core clock, 2GB RAM. coming early February. Sources from trusted AIC vendor, units already in production. Physical launch.

Gentlemen, I believe we will have the best GPU price war in well over a decade this year.
It appears the voodoo dance and prayer to the 28nm Gods has indeed worked!

Sethos

Banned
Wait, are Nvidia's first batch of cards going to be a mid-range card similar to the 560? or am I misunderstanding that article?

March? Fantastic. Also nice to hear good things from such a source. Had a feeling Nvidia would have a great card again, will go from my 460 to the equivalent if it is at a good price range down here.

Buddy, you do know that thread resides in the community forum right? What a thing to say.
Maybe a bit off topic how are the gaf server in bf3 if they are a bit more populated i think i'll start playing again.

*otherstuff*

Gentlemen, I believe we will have the best GPU price war in well over a decade this year.
It appears the voodoo dance and prayer to the 28nm Gods has indeed worked!

And we all win. setting aside money to get the best bang for bucks so team green and red fight for my money.

Pein

Banned
awesome I won't have the cash to dump into a rig until late march so this works perfect for me. Who ever has the better cards I'm buying.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Maybe a bit off topic how are the gaf server in bf3 if they are a bit more populated i think i'll start playing again.

They are always in good numbers. Not sure about raw data. You may want to buy the DLC though as the servers have a lot of players on B2K maps.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Antiochus

I will now amend my post regarding Fudo's piece. The bit concerning GK104's 768 CUDA cores and "over 2 teraflops" of performance was not recently made by Fudzilla exclusively, but rather came directly from older rumors and speculations 2 months ago:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...er-gk104-gets-up-to-768-cuda-cores-rumor.html

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/2011-12-13

Appears the German site 3DCenter was the progenitor of such....information

Apologies if anyone has took my post as immediate confirmation. Nonetheless, it is intriguing that Charlie's response to GK104 seem to tally with the specs crafted by 3DCenter et al.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So unless I'm reading posts wrong, the next Nvidia cards are going to be a reasonable size? I wouldn't mind a small form factor pc, but it'll be a while since my 480 is still serving me very well.

1-D_FTW

I think it's great so long as your tv doesn't have overscan. Scaling options still seem borked. And I don't know about every card, but the GTX 460 has HDMI audio out.

So unless I'm reading posts wrong, the next Nvidia cards are going to be a reasonable size? I wouldn't mind a small form factor pc, but it'll be a while since my 480 is still serving me very well.

225 TDP isn't exactly small from a heat POV. Not sure I'd want to cram that into something too small.

Ezel

Neo Member
Wait, are Nvidia's first batch of cards going to be a mid-range card similar to the 560? or am I misunderstanding that article?

From what I understand it will start with the GTX 780 as this is likely to be the GK110.

Antiochus said:
Beginning with GK110 in April and following up with GK104, GK107 and GK108.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And costs almost twice as much. Whats your point?
My god a better performing card cost more money.

None snide comment:

He asked me to call him when Nvidia could do Multi-monitor on 1 GPU.
My point is that the call came a long time ago whats your point?

I buy the card with the best price, performance, and power consumption. I don't give a crap about brand. Although if I am to buy Nvidia, I'll buy from EVGA. If it's AMD, I'll buy from XFX.

I once bought an HIS card and holy shit is their customer service horrendous. My HIS X1650XT died a month after usage. I had to wait a week to get contact from the RMA department. Took well over a month to get it repaired and sent back, and then the card dies again a few months after the warranty ran out. I'm never buying from HIS ever again.

Top Bottom