• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

forrest

formerly nacire
256 bit bus, small chip, "wins handily", does not compute...

I call BS. Any "small chip" will likely be only 10-20% faster than 7970 as expected.

Which AMD with some rejiggering can probably easily launch a 1200-1400 mhz super 7970.

Anyway, I wont buy Nvidia because AMD's drivers are so much better, but I hope the competition brings prices down.

crazy_pillsohjxl.gif

I'm pretty excited for this news. ATI always seems to have the best performance/value when I'm GPU shopping. However, this past year or so the driver issues have really left me looking to "greener" pastures. Not to mention my stock fan in my 5850 is starting to make an awful racket. I believe a bearing in the sleeve bearing fan is having issues. I just hope Nvidia doesn't slap a 600 price tag on the card at launch. Let's get some competitive pricing.

Geoff9920

Hoping this turns out true, time to upgrade my 5970 and the 7970 wasnt enough to make me do it.
Another 5970 owner here... between the numerous crossfire issues and AMD's crappy drivers from the last year, I'll likely pick up Nvidia's new card even if it's not a significant increase over the 7970.

gogojira

I should be jumping from the 880GTS to this line so it should be a substantial upgrade for me. Anxious to see how much the higher end cards will be.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
He wants you to notice that 6 monitor display ports
Tanks, im still missing his point though.

zephervack wanted a call when Nvidia had multi monitor GPUs i posted a GPU that fulfilled the call.....so kashwashwa posts a random AMD card???

Ill never fully understand GAF.

Gentlemen, I believe we will have the best GPU price war in well over a decade this year.
It appears the voodoo dance and prayer to the 28nm Gods has indeed worked!

I hope it does

The jump from my 4850 to either high end Kepler or AMD equivalent will be crazy.

Sethos

Banned
Tanks, im still missing his point though.

zephervack wanted a call when Nvidia had multi monitor GPUs i posted a GPU that fulfilled the call.....so kashwashwa posts a random AMD card???

Ill never fully understand GAF.

I believe the guy thought it was a dig at AMD for not supporting enough output. Despite the argument being Fermi cards usually didn't support more than 2 displays, someone then posts a Fermi card that does support more than 2 displays.

eastmen

Banned
It will be interesting to see. I don't think that kepler is going to blow AMD out of the water, perhaps just the current 7970. Which from what many are reporting is clocked very low.

1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_7_2.gif

Its clear by these benchmarks Hardocp did that AMD has another 30% performance on the table vs the stock clocks of the radeon hd 7970. This is on the stock cooling btw. I'm pretty sure that come Summer AMD will be able to release a sku based on the same chip in the 7970 and easily hit those performance numbers while keeping the power draw in check.

Now kepler may still be more powerful. But I doubt its going to completely blow away AMD's offerings as it apears the 7970 was never going to stay their high end video card

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It will be interesting to see. I don't think that kepler is going to blow AMD out of the water, perhaps just the current 7970. Which from what many are reporting is clocked very low.

Its clear by these benchmarks Hardocp did that AMD has another 30% performance on the table vs the stock clocks of the radeon hd 7970. This is on the stock cooling btw. I'm pretty sure that come Summer AMD will be able to release a sku based on the same chip in the 7970 and easily hit those performance numbers while keeping the power draw in check.

Now kepler may still be more powerful. But I doubt its going to completely blow away AMD's offerings as it apears the 7970 was never going to stay their high end video card
Overvolts have put it over the 1.3ghz range and 6ghz in memory OC's.

eastmen

Banned
I believe the guy thought it was a dig at AMD for not supporting enough output. Despite the argument being Fermi cards usually didn't support more than 2 displays, someone then posts a Fermi card that does support more than 4 displays.

the problem with the cards is crappy support. 3 monitors does not work in every game that supports 3 monitors

Nvidia really needs to create their own single card solution that works with all multi monitor games on the market

artist

Banned

Personally I think AMD will tide it over with the 7990 until their next refresh. I dont think they will clock a Tahiti sku above 1.1GHz.

eastmen

Banned
Personally I think AMD will tide it over with the 7990 until their next refresh. I dont think they will clock a Tahiti sku above 1.1GHz.

i'd say it all depends. The 7970 is $550 now . If kepler handily (dunno what this really means for a % ) beats it they may not be able to sell it at $550 or even $450. If the whole product line shifts then who knows . AMD opened it up to board venders for overclocking and custom cooling. So perhaps we will just see a bunch of 3rd party varients come out clocked higher with better cooling like we say with the geforce 580

If Nvidia's highest end card surpasses the 7970, it wouldn't come as a surprise and I think AMD has options to stay competitive this generation but if the 660/760 card "handily" beats the 7970, I think AMD is in big trouble this generation.

artist

Banned
i'd say it all depends. The 7970 is $550 now . If kepler handily (dunno what this really means for a % ) beats it they may not be able to sell it at $550 or even $450. If the whole product line shifts then who knows . AMD opened it up to board venders for overclocking and custom cooling. So perhaps we will just see a bunch of 3rd party varients come out clocked higher with better cooling like we say with the geforce 580
The problem is that AMD was first to the market with DX11 by 6 months, had cheaper cards out (top to bottom) and still were not able to make that great of a breakthrough. They also had a die-size advantage.

Now this picture is big departure from the above situation and things suddenly dont look as rosy.

Hyuga

Banned
So now it's nvidia's turn with the "Hey yo ATI, don't sing it, bring it" shit?
(Last year, it was ATI's turn)

artist

Banned
If Nvidia's highest end card surpasses the 7970, it wouldn't come as a surprise and I think AMD has options to stay competitive this generation but if the 660/760 card "handily" beats the 7970, I think AMD is in big trouble this generation.
GK104 is the performance part, not the high end. If Charlie is correct then its the latter.

GK104 is the performance part, not the high end. If Charlie is correct then its the latter.

Obviously, I will be disappointed in my earlier purchase decision if that is the case but, it would be an enormous jump in performance over last generation, and I'm all for that. If this ends up being the case, I'll end up selling my new card and snatching up a 680/780 as long as it's not priced outrageously. I don't necessarily need the fastest card but if the difference in performance is huge, I'm not going to stick with a poor decision.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The way it should be.

Had horrible experiences with AMD. Not going through that again.
What sort of issues did you run into? I've used a 5870 for two years now and it has been a very reliable, fast card. There have been issues now and then with some new releases (such as Rage), but in general, it's not an issue.

I suppose if you were using CrossFireX it would be a different story (as that sounds pretty awful).

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't necessarily need the fastest card but if the difference in performance is huge, I'm not going to stick with a poor decision.

If the card is getting the job done TODAY it isn't a poor decision regardless of what new parts come out down the line.

JudgeN

Ho ho

My oh my

It indeed looks like Charlie is not lying, for Fudo has corrobated his report, and some more:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25636-nvidia-28nm-gk104-gpu-specs-revealed

A side report from the Chinese bothan Napoleon also gave hint to it a week ago, but at the time seemed outlandish until now...

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-346223-1-1.html

Translation: Gtx "680" (likely 660 actually considering recent...changes) roughly on par with 7970, 780MHZ core clock, 2GB RAM. coming early February. Sources from trusted AIC vendor, units already in production. Physical launch.

Gentlemen, I believe we will have the best GPU price war in well over a decade this year.
It appears the voodoo dance and prayer to the 28nm Gods has indeed worked!

Let me see if I understand current rumors, the GK110 is the code name for 680/780 and its rumored to launch in April. GK104 is the mid range 660/760 and has the 256 memory bus and 2GB ram? Seems odd that if the GTX 680/780 is launching in April why are getting specs on the mid range models instead of soon releasing high end cards?

This is assuming i'm understanding the rumors correctly.

artist

Banned
Let me see if I understand current rumors, the GK110 is the code name for 680/780 and its rumored to launch in April. GK104 is the mid range 660/760 and has the 256 memory bus and 2GB ram? Seems odd that if the GTX 680/780 is launching in April why are getting specs on the mid range models instead of soon releasing high end cards?

This is assuming i'm understanding the rumors correctly.
There is a lot of FUD floating around which is creating the confusion. As I understand it, GK104 will be the first Kepler to launch, it might not end up as 660Ti or 760Ti but rather GTX680 or GTX780. Nvidia might also be referring to it as "GK110" based on its performance.

The top dog Kepler (GK112) with higher memory bus width (384b or 512b) comes late in the year.

Again, above is my understanding of all the rumors up to this point.

tokkun

There is a lot of FUD floating around which is creating the confusion. As I understand it, GK104 will be the first Kepler to launch, it might not end up as 660Ti or 760Ti but rather GTX680 or GTX780. Nvidia might also be referring to it as "GK110" based on its performance.

Well I certainly hope it's not priced as if its name is GTX680. Otherwise we can probably look forward to $700 single-GPU cards this generation.

dr_rus

GK104 is GK104, GK110 is GK110. Whatever GeForce names they'll all end up having -- I'm not sure that even NVIDIA knows at the moment. Does it matter?

The top dog Kepler (GK112) with higher memory bus width (384b or 512b) comes late in the year.
That's GK110. It comes later than GK104 but not late in the year.

Now thats a lot of FPS.
Hey, at least they start at zero!

Elios83

Thought the consensus was that Sony would go with AMD this time?

Anything could happen but I don't think it will be the case.
It doesn't make any sense to abandon nVidia, they can offer great performance, they bring excellent tools and support, they can easily implement backwards compatibility with the RSX which is vital (they're not going to throw away all the PS3 contents they have built on the PSN by making a next gen system not compatible with PS3).
Personally at this point I'm expecting PS4 to be a 28nm SOC with a PowerPC/Cell derivative CPU and a Kepler GPU + 4GB total memory.
We'll see though ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It doesn't make any sense to abandon nVidia, they can offer great performance, they bring excellent tools and support, they can easily implement backwards compatibility with the RSX which is vital (they're not going to throw away all the PS3 contents they have built on the PSN by making a next gen system not compatible with PS3).
Personally at this point I'm expecting PS4 to be a 28nm SOC with a PowerPC/Cell derivative CPU and a Kepler GPU + 4GB total memory.
We'll see though ;)
Sony doesn't have a very good track record this gen when it comes to BC.

Elios83

Sony doesn't have a very good track record this gen when it comes to BC.

Doesn't mean a lot, the birth of digital platforms has made backwards compatibility a must have feature.
Just think if the PS4 isn't compatible with PS3, most of the contents on the PSN would become useless, all the work they have done during these years would be wasted, that simply isn't acceptable, you can expect both PS4 and Xbox next to be fully BC with their predecessors.

pestul

Nvidia almost inevitably has a shitty series every 3 generations or so. I wouldn't rule out a turd sooner or later given their track record. This one seems to be good, not that I believe any of the rumors anyway, especially concerning release windows. 3 months is still a long time in the graphics game.

THE:MILKMAN

We'll see though ;)

Looking back at how it played out with the RSX, I would have thought we'd have heard something by now.

Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO, NVIDIA. “Over the past two years NVIDIA has worked closely with Sony Computer Entertainment on their next-generation computer entertainment system

NVIDIA were working with Sony since 2002 and it was announced publicly Dec'04. If the PS4 is coming out late 2013, why haven't we heard anything?

Elios83

Looking back at how it played out with the RSX, I would have thought we'd have heard something by now.

NVIDIA were working with Sony since 2002 and it was announced publicly Dec'04. If the PS4 is coming out late 2013, why haven't we heard anything?

Because what have we heard about AMD/ATI?
They're all rumors, at some point there were articles claiming that Intel got the deal for their Larrabee chip LOL
And the bullshit about Sony delaying PSVita beacuse nVidia was having problems with their Tegra chip?
Most of these stories are just made up to get hits.
Also that PR from Sony was plain bullshit, Sony scrapped their internal GPU (made with Toshiba) in 2004. Nvidia had the PS3 contract in 2004 and they made an optimized version of their GF7 GPU in just a year and half. NVidia was working on their GF7 generation since 2002, but definetly not with Sony :D

artist

Banned
GK104 is GK104, GK110 is GK110. Whatever GeForce names they'll all end up having -- I'm not sure that even NVIDIA knows at the moment. Does it matter?

That's GK110. It comes later than GK104 but not late in the year.
I know GK110 was supposed to be the top dog but there is also a GK112.

Latest rumors (not posted anywhere) are that the Kepler launching in March/April is GK110 and there is no GK104. Charlie's saying GK104 is launching at that time and will handily win against the 7970. Nvidia shills are also saying GK104 exists. So yeah, I'm thinking GK104 and GK110 are one and the same - Nvidia probably referred to the same GPU with two names to weed out the leaks.

Sony ditched their first graphic solution and went with Nvidia. they took the GF7 and modified it.
edit: beaten like the 7970 against the GK104

nVidia means better drivers though. It's more than likely that Kepler will be the better choice.

I just hope the proverbial sweet spot cards come out sooner than later.

THE:MILKMAN

Because what have we heard about AMD/ATI?
They're all rumors, at some point there were articles claiming that Intel got the deal for their Larrabee chip LOL
And the bullshit about Sony delaying PSVita beacuse nVidia was having problems with their Tegra chip?
Most of these stories are just made up to get hits.
Also that PR from Sony was plain bullshit, Sony scrapped their internal GPU (made with Toshiba) in 2004. Nvidia had the PS3 contract in 2004 and they made an optimized version of their GF7 GPU in just a year and half. NVidia was working on their GF7 generation since 2002, but definetly not with Sony :D

All we can go on is this PR from Nvidia themselves: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_17342.html

Why would they need to lie about this?

Top Bottom