• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Breaking news: new consoles are weak as shit when compared to latest PC tech.

Breaking news: consoles offer some gaming experiences not available on PC (and vice versa).

Can we move on now GAF?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It does make me chuckle to see nvidia bring up their top of the line 1k GPU compared to what is likely a set of 3-500 dollar boxes that deliver pretty good performance.

I think nvidia has no bearing or can even say how good things will be on next gen. If this last gen is anything to go by then we will have some great looking games for years on next gen consoles.

I will still be there on PC ready to buy most of the games and play them at higher settings but I don't think the early part of next gen will see much of a tangible difference between the consoles and PC. You will still have great things on PC like mod support and editing settings plus customization.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Taking into account the frequent difference in price between console games and PC games, I really don't think so. I believe the money saved from not overpaying on games, peripherals and online services will be more than enough to offset any expenditure on hardware during those 7 years.

Yes, I was careful to qualify that I was talking about the hardware side.

However if we want to factor in software costs...I think it should be said that an awful lot of console software gets sold well below RRP (second hand etc.), and new services like PS+ offer incredible value. Accumulating large libraries at relatively low cost won't be the sole preserve of Steam sales anymore. PC is better value on day one software in many places, but it's a bit more complicated than that, I think.

I think the problem with PC is there are a lot of unknown factors when it comes to determining value over the length of a cycle, whereas consoles do bring a lot of those factors upfront. Consumers like to reduce risk.

The Jason

The chart is about GPU Flops. The PS4 GPU is capable of 1.84 TFlops according to the specs, which is pretty good. This chart says the Titan is 3x that (which its not), but anyone expecting anything close to a Titan in a game console is crazy.

The Next gen consoles are not weak, they look mid-range on paper but they will be able to run games much more efficiently, and so will be competitive with high-end PCs for a few years.

Latest gpus in consoles=more expensive=bigger consoles=more heating issues=longer gens.

I'm happy consoles don't have the latest in tech. Next gen should be shorter due to consoles not having exotic architectures and manufacturers faster return on investment.

coldfoot

Banned
Comfy couch argument? My PC is hooked up to my TV and I use either a wireless 360 controller or a wireless keyboard to play all my games. Comfy couch was an argument people used 10 years ago, it doesn't work anymore.
I have PC hooked up to my TV as well, and using anything but a controller flat out sucks ass. It's a pain to have the keyboard laying on your lap and even more of a pain to have the mouse on the couch or bringing a table close by to lay on it. It just doesn't work as good as a controller. You can just get by using a controller on a console but you can't do that on a PC. That is why I gave up on it, removed the GPU and sold it, and just use it for acestream.

TheD

The Detective
Well, I did say pre-built. And I'm pretty sure a 670 is way more than $200. Besides, how many people out there are willing to build their own computers? I read video game forums and play tons of games, and yet I'd never even consider building my own. It's unthinkable. I bought Crysis 3 for my PC, then found out that my GTX 260 couldn't run it, because it wasn't DX 11, or something. I was going to buy a 660, but then I realized that I had no idea if it would even fit in my current computer, and then I realized that my 350 watt power supply wasn't powerful enough to run the 660 even if it did fit. So then I looked for pre-built computers with a 660 and found that they were all around a grand, and anything with a 670 or above was around 17 hundo, and then I said "fuck it, I'm buying a PS4". My point is...I forget.

So you did not want to upgrade from a card that uses about 200Watts to a card that only uses 140Watts because you think the computer that ran the higher power could not run it?!!!!

A card that is also an inch shorter!

Unbelievable!

It wasn't. It was better than anything Sony showed except Deep Down (which we still don't know if it's in-game or a tech demo) in terms of technology and scale.

eh? this is really questionable. Luminous engine runs smoothly on PS4, Killzone Shadow Fall was impressive and was actually a game and not a tech demo and it featured all the effects that were missing in the Epic demo (depth of field, higher particle count, better lighting etc), Drive Club is a racing game so not comparable, Infamous second son - it was just a tease and yea it didn't look at that great. Knack looks like a cartoon but isn't comparable to Epic's tech.

And that's about it, I wouldn't Epic on some sort of pedestal. I beat Uncharted 3 then I started Spec Ops on PS3 and Uncharted 3 looked about 5x better than any UE3 game I have played on my PS3.

edit: Epic's tech is only great on a high end PC, where it runs at 60 FPS with all the features with super sample AA.

What % do you reckon? I'm talking how games will look and run when optimised, not theoretical flops.

I really have no idea. We'll have to see actual games running on both PC and PS4, benchmark modern GPUs to determine how they stack up and then we'll be able to calculate with a reasonable degree of accuracy. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the % will be much higher than the PS360 generation but I'm not ready to nail down a specific figure.

I think the problem with PC is there are a lot of unknown factors when it comes to determining value over the length of a cycle, whereas consoles do bring a lot of those factors upfront. Consumers like to reduce risk.

Very true, which is why PC gaming needs a device like the Steambox to break into the mainstream market.

eh? this is really questionable.

Indeed it is. I was not impressed by the original Elemental demo, but I do consider it better than what we saw in Killzone. Of course this is highly subjective and I have no interest in claiming that my opinion is the correct one.

Indeed it is. I was not impressed by the original Elemental demo, but I do consider it better than what we saw in Killzone. Of course this is highly subjective and I have no interest in claiming that my opinion is the correct one.

Killzone Shadow Fall impressed me a lot. The level of detail was very high with minimal pop ups, the real time reflections on the walls and the ground were very impressive, featured high quality motion blur & depth of field, all the bodies stayed on the ground and didn't disappear, the lighting was good. I am guessing the graphics will improve as the get closer to launch, especially the FX. Looking foward to seeing more at E3 and of course Epic's Durango game as well.

Comfy couch argument? My PC is hooked up to my TV and I use either a wireless 360 controller or a wireless keyboard to play all my games. Comfy couch was an argument people used 10 years ago, it doesn't work anymore.

Do tell me about the smooth way of interfacing windows with your 360 controller.
Wireless keyboard sounds very comfortable on a couch as well.

JJD

From this link:

In a recent interview with TechRadar, Nvidia's Tony Tamasi sized up the PS4's specs to "a low-end CPU, and a low- to mid-range GPU" when compared to gaming PCs. The console's innards, Tamasi said, are outdated even now, months before the PS4 launches during the 2013 holiday season.
"Well, of course they're going to do that," Robison said with a laugh when told of the comparison. "They're a little bitter."

I gotta say, I laughed when I read that considering GAF discussions on this topic.

Salty claims redeemed? Lol!!!

Seriously now nVidia is just giving their spin to the last consoles developments. As they should. They are in the same business as AMD and they should react to the market.

coldfoot

Banned
Is this is a joke? Seriously?

They created this thing called Big Picture Mode on Steam....

Steam is not an OS, and not many games support a completeley mouse/keyboard free experience on a PC.
Tell me how you enter your name in Skyrim on a PC without a keyboard or mouse.

kinggroin

Banned
All this craziness will be settled the first "next-gen" multiplatform title is released. Will be interested to see how well the console versions stack up to 670/680/7870 configurations.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Steam is not an OS, tell me how you enter your name in Skyrim on a PC without a keyboard.

Steam can run all of your games through a controller friendly UI, of all the things you're worried about it's putting in a name in Skyrim? Something you could just lean over to your wireless keyboard and accomplish in about 3 seconds?

Why would you play a game that isn't controller friendly with a controller? You can use this thing called a wireless mouse and keyboard.

You don't hook your PC up to a TV to play Hearts of Iron 3.

spwolf

From this link:

I gotta say, I laughed when I read that considering GAF discussions on this topic.

Salty claims redeemed? Lol!!!

Seriously now nVidia is just giving their spin to the last consoles developments. As they should. They are in the same business as AMD and they should react to the market.

this needs new thread:
http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...-gave-it-the-hardware-nvidia-couldn-t-1141607

AMD on the PS4: We gave it the hardware Nvidia couldn't

Momentary

Banned
I have PC hooked up to my TV as well, and using anything but a controller flat out sucks ass. It's a pain to have the keyboard laying on your lap and even more of a pain to have the mouse on the couch or bringing a table close by to lay on it. It just doesn't work as good as a controller. You can just get by using a controller on a console but you can't do that on a PC. That is why I gave up on it, removed the GPU and sold it, and just use it for acestream.

Every port on pc has controller support and most Indie games support it too. When I turn my pc on all I have to do is just hit the home button on my controller and i get big screen mode. And if I want to use my mouse and keyboard the top of my coffee table detaches from the base and hovers over my lap. Stop bringing 2005 logic to this.

TheD

The Detective
Steam is not an OS, and not many games support a completeley mouse/keyboard free experience on a PC.
Tell me how you enter your name in Skyrim on a PC without a keyboard or mouse.

go to steamapps/common/skyrim rename TESV.exe to SkyrimLauncher.exe
Or just having a cheap wireless mouse should not be a problem.

Wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360? And that didn't work out too well for Sony. In other words, who cares?

Only with heavy usage of the Cell (and even then it could not over come the lack of bandwidth and split memory pool).
Processing power is important.

Durante

Breaking news: new consoles are weak as shit when compared to latest PC tech.

Breaking news: consoles offer some gaming experiences not available on PC (and vice versa).

Can we move on now GAF?
Apparently not. I wish there was a way to block threads.

KKRT00

It does make me chuckle to see nvidia bring up their top of the line 1k GPU compared to what is likely a set of 3-500 dollar boxes that deliver pretty good performance.
I think theirs point was comparison of current gen and next-gen. At the start of current gen high end GPU worth 600$ [7800GTX] was as powerful as consoles, then next year 8800GTX came out for similar price and it was 80-100% more powerful, but today they have GPU that is more expensive but 300% faster and its available half a year before next-gen console even launched.
They also have GTX 680 that cost 500$ and was launched year ago and still is 200% more powerful than next-gen consoles.
It shows that this gen will be outdated faster, especially when next gpu series came out and that was probably point of Nvidia.

Ps. Anyone who laughs at Titan's price, need to understand that GTX 780 that will launch next year, will cost around 500$ and have similar performance and 760Ti will have performance equal to GTX 680 and will cost around 300$.

Is this is a joke? Seriously?

They created this thing called Big Picture Mode on Steam....

Lovely, that'll work wonders with my fifa 13 game on Origin I'm sure.

FordGTGuy said:
Steam can run all of your games through a controller friendly UI, of all the things you're worried about it's putting in a name in Skyrim? Something you could just lean over to your wireless keyboard and accomplish in about 3 seconds?

There's that comfortable keyboard again. PC couch gaming needs only 2 input devices so far!
I'm sure you have a very comfortable wireless mous for the couch as well, if the need would arise for such an input.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Lovely, that'll work wonders with my fifa 13 game on Origin I'm sure.

There's that comfortable keyboard again. PC couch gaming needs only 2 input devices so far!
I'm sure you have a very comfortable wireless mous for the couch as well, if the need would arise for such an input.

There's that ignorance shining through again, keyboard and mouse use would take up probably less than 1% of the time you played games in this fashion.

Textual input and opening Steam is pretty much about it....

coldfoot

Banned
go to steamapps/common/skyrim rename TESV.exe to SkyrimLauncher.exe
Tell me how to do that with only a controller?

Or just having a cheap wireless mouse should not be a problem.
Mouse/KB on couch = instafail. Do not underestimate the usability and practicality of a device that does not need multiple uncomfortable input devices to accomplish a task.

That's all they have left, pretty much any game you can play with a controller has controller support on PC.
Just Cause 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fifa 2013? Those are pretty big titles you know.
Also good luck playing shooters with a controller on a PC when everyone else has mouse/KB. Console evens the playing field.

FordGTGuy

Banned

Mouse/KB on couch = instafail.

Clearly your mind is already made up what's the point of continuing with your obvious trolling?

Just Cause 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fifa 2013? Those are pretty big titles you know.

So you have to use the mouse to click play? boohoo. Of course not every single game is going to work but most do including Just Cause 2 and Skyrim.

Also good luck playing shooters with a controller on a PC when everyone else has mouse/KB. Console evens the playing field.

Keep telling yourself that, I've killed plenty of people competitively using a controller in shooters on PC including ARMA 3 Alpha.

Biggest news out of this thread is nvidia thinks Xbox720 is coming out after PS4 and it will be weaker as well.

wow MS, you better have something good...

Playing online shooters with a controller? PC gives you the choice, though I struggle to see why someone would want to use a controller.

There's that ignorance shining through again, keyboard and mouse use would take up probably less than 1% of the time you played games in this fashion.

Textual input and opening Steam is pretty much about it....

You're the one doing all the ignoring. You dismissed an important part of "comfy couch gaming"; that is, using 1 input device (the controller) for everything. Using the OS, the apps, browsing and gaming.

And in a couple of posts we went from only occasionally using a keyboard (comfy) to also using the mouse as well, defeating the purpose of comfy couch gaming. Having a mouse/keyboard on the (side)table somewhere is NOT comfortable.

Doesn't matter if it's less than 1% of the time ... it should be 0%.

coldfoot

Banned
Clearly your mind is already made up what's the point of continuing with your obvious trolling?
You're the one with the abrasive and attacking writing style not me, i.e. "boohoo". What I say is supported by sales figures and PC usage scenarios.

So you have to use the mouse to click play? boohoo. Of course not every single game is going to work but most do including Just Cause 2 and Skyrim.
The key to sales is ease of use. PC is not easy to use and will never be easy to use unless you can buy one that directly boots to Steam, comes with a controller, NEVER requires dropping back to windows or any other input method (motion games notwithstanding), and all games (except motion) can work with a controller.

Keep telling yourself that, I've killed plenty of people competitively using a controller in shooters on PC including ARMA 3 Alpha.
Play something more than 3 people know about like COD or Battlefield and let's see how you fare.

FordGTGuy

Banned
You're the one doing all the ignoring. You dismissed an important part of "comfy couch gaming"; that is, using 1 input device (the controller) for everything. Using the OS, the apps, browsing and gaming.

And in a couple of posts we went from only occasionally using a keyboard (comfy) to also using the mouse as well, defeating the purpose of comfy couch gaming. Having a mouse/keyboard on the (side)table somewhere is NOT comfortable.

Doesn't matter if it's less than 1% of the time ... it should be 0%.

Give me a break sweetheart, don't break a nail.

You're the one with the abrasive and attacking writing style not me, i.e. "boohoo". What I say is supported by sales figures and PC usage scenarios.

The key to sales is ease of use. PC is not easy to use and will never be easy to use unless you can buy one that directly boots to Steam, comes with a controller, NEVER requires dropping back to windows or any other input method (motion games notwithstanding), and all games (except motion) can work with a controller.

Play something more than 3 people know about like COD or Battlefield and let's see how you fare.

Did you just say ARMA 3 isn't well known?

Wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360? And that didn't work out too well for Sony. In other words, who cares?

It was slightly more powerful and much much harder to work with.

Now the difference seems to be bigger, and it's much much easier to work with. (Not easier then 720, easier then PS3)

Because ARMA is such a twitch shooter right? lol. Play me on anything, and I'm not even that good.

TheD

The Detective

Mouse/KB on couch = instafail. Do not underestimate the usability and practicality of a device that does not need multiple uncomfortable input devices to accomplish a task.

Doing it with a mouse once is not a big deal.

I did not say anything about using a keyboard! A mouse is fine for everything you would need to do!

Just Cause 2, Skyrim and FIFA 2013 should (based on the older games I have played) all support controllers! The only one of the 4 that does not is Mass Effect!

Stop stating incorrect info!

FordGTGuy

Banned
No one has played Arma 3 competitively.

But no really, play me on anything right now with a controller.

What drugs are you on? People have been playing ARMA 3 competitively since the Alpha launched.

I didn't say M/KB wasn't better I just said the idea that M/KB completely dominates the controller is overblown, I've played plenty on multiplayer games with a controller and felt completely competent with it compared to the competition.

coldfoot

Banned
Doing it with a mouse once is not a big deal.
Except it is.

I did not say anything about using a keyboard! A mouse is fine for everything you would need to do!
Mouse is off limits for couch gaming, and so is a keyboard.

Just Cause 2, Skyrim and FIFA 2013 should (based on the older games I have played) all support controllers! The only one of the 4 that does not is Mass Effect!
Grow up and stop flatout lying!
How do you enter your name on Skyrim with a controller? And Fifa 13 working well with a controller must be the reason huge threads like these exist. Blame the Fifa problem on EA all you want but the console versions don't have these issues.

FordGTGuy said:
Did you just say ARMA 3 isn't well known?
Let's compare it's sales figures with COD or Battlefield. You don't see commercials for Arma on TV or even on gaming networks like G4TV.

Regarding this PC comfy couch vs console squirmish makes me realize just how ridiculous such a debate is. Thank you to all parties. You have stopped me from ever getting involved in future debates. Ugh.

To be honest with you PC graphics power over consoles are meaningless to most people even in this gen, and it'll be even more meaningless next gen, when there are no PC exclusives that push the graphics envelope. All you're playing are console ports with better image quality, and the image quality difference will be even less with PS4/720 since they'll get 1080p resolution and 60 fps will be a lot more common too. Who cares if the Titan has 3X the horsepower of the PS4 if a game is being optimized to run at 1080p/60 on the PS4? What else are you going to get with the Titan? Multimonitor and >1080p support are niche stuff that won't amount to a lot of sales, so all I can really see is supersampling, which won't make a dramatic difference in IQ over the PS4 already running at 1080p with AA.

Best post in the thread.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Let's compare it's sales figures with COD or Battlefield. You don't see commercials for Arma on TV or even on gaming networks like G4TV.

Strawman arguments never solve anything.

Because of DayZ ARMA 3 is quite well known now in the PC shooter world.

How do you compare sales of a game that hasn't even come out yet and is only on a single platform to Battlefield and CoD?

Top Bottom