• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA releases DOOM PC footage of the game running w/ the Vulkan API - 1080p@60fps

Gattsu25

Banned
Direct link to the footage: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...ot-com-vulkan-graphics-api-gameplay-video.mp4
Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY&feature=youtu.be

At our GeForce GTX 1080 launch we teamed up with id Software to demonstrate DOOM running at up to 200 FPS, using the power of the world's fastest and most advanced graphics card, and the capabilities of the Vulkan graphics API.

Captured on a GeForce GTX TITAN X after the event, because id Software "accidentally left their GeForce GTX 1080 at the event when packing up", the new video shows 6 minutes of uninterrupted footage from the Vulkan version of DOOM, which will be released in the not too distant future. If you're unfamiliar with Vulkan, it's a new graphics API renderer with a simpler, thinner driver, and efficient CPU multi-threading capabilities. Compared to DirectX or OpenGL, Vulkan has less latency and overhead, and can help your system reach new levels of performance. In simpler terms, Vulkan can help developers avoid CPU bottlenecks that limit performance, and can improve performance elsewhere, too.

On a GeForce GTX 1080, Vulkan-accelerated DOOM is going to run even faster, and be capable of running smoothly at higher resolutions, delivering an even higher quality experience that will further enhance fidelity on your PC.​
More at the source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-doom-vulkan-direct-feed-gameplay-video

This footage is some of the best DOOM footage out there and if you can watch it using the direct link I would recommend it because the encoding is substantially better than youtube's.

For those curious, Vulkan is a new open source low level graphics API that appears to be pretty exciting.
The GTX1080 also looks like it will be a pretty solid card if the benchmarks are anything to go by.

As I said in the other thread, bethesda are just plain idiots for not making footage like this long ago. It would have quelled quite a lot of the ire in the PC / doom community regarding the direct gameplay pace, look, etc.

It honestly looks soooo different from the pad play.

brawly

Just awesome. If I build a PC again one day this will be bought asap. I'm guessing that would have taken like 15 minutes with a pad.

Akronis

This is what gets me in all the trailers and everything. Pad play looks shockingly shonky for trying to make the game look dynamic. That slow ass turning and everything...yuck.

That's partially why people thought it would be dumbed down, because you really can't have incredibly fast paced games on consoles with analog sticks. There's no precision without tons and tons of aim assist.

Protein

Banned
Incredible. It feels more like Doom with that sense of speed. Bethesda should have aired this in their trailers instead of some intern who played with an upside down gamepad.

Also caught a glimpse of actual metal music towards the end.

Will I be benefitting of this Vulkan API at launch?

I really want to know, serious question.

I have the game downloaded/pre-loaded and ready to go for Friday....

ss_lemonade

Is there a slight fish eye view going on there? Made me feel dizzy and I never feel that way with first person shooters.

EDIT:
Weird, it's actually ok when viewing the video in fullscreen.

Woorloog

Banned
A good player makes everything look better.

Hell, i wish we'll get someone good showing off console footage, just because. I'm sure it will look better than those vids showing clumsy gameplay from E3 and so.

rashbeep

Banned
That looks so much better than what we've seen before.

Still not feeling the monster designs or sound design (I'm finding it hard to distinguish the enemy types from their sound), but the game looks pretty fun now.

Nzyme32

Definitely warming to this thanks to the new footage - what an amusing coincidence that I am building my PC next week... but have to wait on the 1070 releasing...

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there a slight fish eye view going on there? Made me feel dizzy and I never feel that way with first person shooters.

EDIT:
Weird, it's actually ok when viewing the video in fullscreen.
Field of view is set to 120.

That does give a bit of a fisheye effect. It's ideal for people who play PC games at a desk, so it makes sense that having the image take up more of your field of vision (by fullscreening it) would have lessened your motion sickness.

jett

D-Member
That was hard to keep track of.

It looks crazy fast mostly due to high mouse sensitivity and insane FOV, right? Character probably using speed buffs too.

Gattsu25

Banned
That was hard to keep track of.

It looks crazy fast mostly due to high mouse sensitivity and insane FOV, right? Character probably using speed buffs too.

It's actually the opposite for me, this is someone playing the game at the speed that I would (once I get accustomed to the controls).

All the previous footage, despite people claiming it looks fast, has looked a bit like wading through molasses to me.

Woorloog

Banned
Field of view is set to 120.

That does give a bit of a fisheye effect. It's ideal for people who play PC games at a desk, so it makes sense that having the image take up more of your field of vision (by fullscreening it) would have lessened your motion sickness.

120? Too much for me. And yes, i watched that fullscreen on monitor. My limit for FOV is when there starts being fish-eye effect. Wonder when exactly that happens... 100? More or less?

tuxfool

Banned
A good player makes everything look better.

Hell, i wish we'll get someone good showing off console footage, just because. I'm sure it will look better than those vids showing clumsy gameplay from E3 and so.

I'm not sure it was clumsiness more than it was just controller gameplay.

Tagyhag

Wow I was actually worried about DOOM but this footage helps a lot.

It's no Brutal DOOM but now it's looking like a purchase.

Dezzy

it does look fun, but doesn't look like Doom. The levels look Dead Simple. Just arenas with hallways attaching them. I hope there's more to it than that. I want the labyrinthine levels full of secrets(and keycards) like class Dooms had. Still, the game looks fun on it's own merits.

Incredible. It feels more like Doom with that sense of speed. Bethesda should have aired this in their trailers instead of some intern who played with an upside down gamepad.

Also caught a glimpse of actual metal music towards the end.

It's so frustrating that they've basically shown us nothing that gauges my interest in the game, and it looks like a sheep wearing a wolf's fur from all the material they've released.

And now we have Nvidia showcasing the gameplay a few days before it's release, and it looks great? I don't know what's wrong with Bethesda's marketing or confidence in the single player aspect of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not sure it was clumsiness more than it was just controller gameplay.

A good player with controller can make things look smooth (though can't match PC KB/M, obviously). I recall watching some pros play Halo, sure looked better than my playing and that's reasonably good.

The old vids looked like the player wasn't really used to controllers.

Aurongel

I hate to sound shallow here but this really does look like a different game when you watch footage with a jacked FOV and mouse control.

Like, seriously.

Pachinko

looks pretty frenetic , more exciting then I thought actually. Still not sure if I want this right away though, so much other stuff to play right now.

RedSwirl

Holy shit. I wasn't 100% on this game but now I think I'm gonna grab it as soon as I can get my hands on a 1070.

Actually, DOOM is supposed to be 1080p/60 on consoles right? Or is that just multiplayer? Guess I'll wait for DF too.

UnrealEck

I'm not sure they were playing at 1080p 60 FPS. Does it say that's what they ran it at? Surely a Titan X is capable of more than that.

Top Bottom