• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA releases DOOM PC footage of the game running w/ the Vulkan API - 1080p@60fps

Zemm

I thought the video was in fast forward mode at the start.

I love the art, I love the pace of the game, I think the game looks fun as fuck. Where was the music though? There was a tiny bit near the end but it was too quiet in general.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm not sure they were playing at 1080p 60 FPS. Does it say that's what they ran it at? Surely a Titan X is capable of more than that.

Video is 1080p@60fps.
Earlier, they showed the game running with a GTX1080 at 120~200 fps

However, this footage was taken with a GTX Titan X which is a less powerful card. They didn't say what the FPS was here so I just went with what the video was encoded at in the thread title. (also, I was just below the thread title limit so couldn't expound there. I quoted nvidia's explanation of the footage in the OP)

Woorloog

Banned
Oh. Sure looks fast. Isn't 1080 supposedly as good as Titan X? So 200 FPS is possible, no?

EDIT Oh, Titan X is less powerful? Well... Still could be something like 120FPS. Unless the speed upgrades are really, really big part of speeding up gameplay...

Nzyme32

Baffling that Bethesda / id didn't show this sort of stuff sooner, particularly to the PC crowd and die-hard old school fans.

They focused a lot on the console versions / controller gameplay and focused on weapons more than the speed of movement and action that I've always felt is Doom along with a sense of dread eerieness and frantic fighting. This footage alone has it all, especially with a mouse wielding player with good fov and enough skill to demonstrate the game nicely. Also a good segment with better enemies and action. Definitely sold me in particular with the last minutes.

Kicking some metal in there at the end when the action kicked off brought a massive smile to my face, thinking this is that Doom feeling.

Adnor

Banned
I hate to sound shallow here but this really does look like a different game when you watch footage with a jacked FOV and mouse control.

Like, seriously.

Agree. It makes no sense to me why id or Bethesda didn't show this kind of footage before, it looks so much better.

There's still a lot of dead time in that first arena where the player is just running around waiting for enemies, but I guess that's just the difficulty setting and the player being good enough to kill enemies before they swarm them.

Looks much better than all the prior footage I saw of this game. Still won't get the game anytime soon but that is mainly because I have a relatively weak computer at the moment. Probably won't upgrade for another year or two which is when I'll get this game.

Woorloog

Banned
Would a GTX 770 be able to keep a stable frame rate?

That's somewhere between min and recommended settings, i think?

I'd imagine the answer is "yes", depending on the settings.

EDIT from Steam store page:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
Storage: 55 GB available space
Additional Notes: Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
Additional Notes: Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap

Gattsu25

Banned
Wonder if I'll get 60hz consistent in my 980ti without Vulkan since it won't be there at launch.

I'm in the exact same a similar boat as you so I hope I will be able to.
Edit: strike that, I have a lowly GTX980 not even a TI

Hope I can get 60 fps on mi 970 to, 1070 still another month away damnit.
Yeah, I imagine you would be able to keep a stable framerate at console or better settings

I'm waiting until the non-reference model 1080s come out and will be jumping on one of those.

The fov is actually 120, sadly the guns are still masive because the fov doesn't affect them for some reason.
Most fps games fake fp models and as such have two fov settings: camera and fp assets. Idtech 5 did it that way and so does this probably.

That's somewhere between min and recommended settings, i think?

I'd imagine the answer is "yes", depending on the settings.

EDIT from Steam store page:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better

Thank god because the Beta ran fine for me

Woorloog

Banned
Thank god because the Beta ran fine for me

Bethesda's blog post after the beta implied they've made the game run better with minimum requirements or something like that.

You'll probably be fine, at least if you fiddle with settings.

Will this api benefit all cards or just newest highest end ones?

Presumably those with Vulkan support. So R9 series for AMD at least... unsure about Nvidia's GPUS other than Pascal-based ones.
EDIT https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Pasting my comment from the other thread here so someone can answer:

MrRemyJe said:
Is the speed of the gameplay legit? I don't mean the 60fps(and I don't doubt the graphics card's power), but more the running/shooting speed. I have a hard time trusting Nvidia after they lied about that Batman Arkham Knight footage and people discovered it was sped up(from the enemies' higher pitched voices) to appear as 60 frames. The console comparison makes it look more suspect seeing as in most games run speed isn't and shouldn't be tied to framerate.

Has anyone noticed enemies or guns sounding higher pitched?

Bethesda's blog post after the beta implied they've made the game run better with minimum requirements or something like that.

You'll probably be fine, at least if you fiddle with settings.

I'll probably be able to run it at medium settings at the minimum.

Until I get a GTX 1070 this fall this is what I'm gonna have to get used to

Nzyme32

Speed is increased by runes but important differences:

Mouse aim, not controller aim
120 fov, not default on the console version (75? Not sure, but it's less than 90 by a fair bit)
Quick weapon swapping thanks to keyboard, not using the "weapon wheel"

Incredible. It feels more like Doom with that sense of speed. Bethesda should have aired this in their trailers instead of some intern who played with an upside down gamepad.

Also caught a glimpse of actual metal music towards the end.

Seriously! Bethesda is terrible.

Gattsu25

Banned
It feels like it's in fast forward, too much for me :\
Looks pretty good though

They had a recent "behind the scenes" (without any actual behind-the-scenes info, ugh) promo video where they mention that one of the devs prefers to customize their character by boosting animation/movement speeds over other upgrades.

So my assumption is that this save has gone down the "primarily speed increasing passives" upgrade path. Not everyone will be that fast.

Speed looks perfect to me, tho 😋

As I said in the other thread, bethesda are just plain idiots for not making footage like this long ago. It would have quelled quite a lot of the ire in the PC / doom community regarding the direct gameplay pace, look, etc.

It honestly looks soooo different from the pad play.

I usually don't agree with armchair advertising, but i think youre totally correct

RedSwirl

It won't play like this, no matter how many frames per second it gets on console.

I was just wondering since my current card -- the 760, get's me slightly-above-console performance. Knowing it's 60 on consoles makes me believe I'll be able to at least tweak settings until I get there, but I'll probably just wait for the 1070.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was just wondering since my current card -- the 760, get's me slightly-above-console performance. Knowing it's 60 on consoles makes me believe I'll be able to at least tweak settings until I get there, but I'll probably just wait for the 1070.

I remember hearing that the console versions have dynamic resolutions, tho. So they would always be rendering a 1080p image but, depending on the complexity of the scene, would be scaling up a sub-1080 image.

Edit:

RE: ↓ ↓ ↓

haha, tell me about it

Top Bottom