• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA releases DOOM PC footage of the game running w/ the Vulkan API - 1080p@60fps

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The multiplayer was very, very "meh" so I wouldn't bother with it, especially with the likes of Overwatch being released soon which was great but I do want to play the single player so I'll grab this once it's very cheap on PC.

it does look fun, but doesn't look like Doom. The levels look Dead Simple. Just arenas with hallways attaching them. I hope there's more to it than that. I want the labyrinthine levels full of secrets(and keycards) like class Dooms had. Still, the game looks fun on it's own merits.

A few users have the game and posted the answer to this and said that the game is more than just arenas connected by hallways. The impressions were posted in the Doom launch trailer thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Release day countdown timers:

Unlock times for Dewm:

AU/NZ:
t1463061600z0.png

Asia:
t1463065200z0.png

Europe:
t1463094000z0.png

US:
t1463112000z1.png

jediyoshi

Mmmmmmm. That's why you should show off your shooters with mouse and keyboard. That gameplay looked great!

That's my takeaway. It feels like companies think using controllers is better because smoother camera movements might make it look more presentable, but at least for DOOM it's just a reminder that at some point they would have had to make concessions for slower input devices.

nynt9

That's my takeaway. It feels like companies think using controllers is better because smoother camera movements might make it look more presentable, but at least for DOOM it's just a reminder that at some point they would have had to make concessions for slower input devices.

Also a lot of journos seem to prefer playing with controllers. So preview footage is often of the console versions as well.

That is definitely not the same default speed as official footages and pc beta @ 105 fov which was max?. No amount of mouse keyboard aim made the beta faster.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks great.

Although the speed is fun to watch, and I get why people like it, I will be playing it with a gamepad on my PC, and going a tad slower.

I like my SP FPS games slower and atmospheric. I feel like that guy was taking in nothing.

The framerate and graphics should be a treat though. Going to wait for my 1080 to buy this, though I am sure my SLI 970s could handle it well.

soccergod

Banned
:drool:

Im planning on picking up a 1080 as well as an asus swift or some other 1440p with gsync at the end of the month, gonna be fucking SWEET

Sciz

Not sure this is going to exactly play like DOOM, but it looks like the right sort of old school sensibilities all the same.

Gonna be a good year for retro shooters if Shadow Warrior 2 and Sam 4 make it out as well.

Gotta go fast.

Honestly, either that capture needed a higher framerate (120fps or bust), the motion blur was a tad too high, or the game needs a gun model mod. Kinda hard to watch.

Looks super fun tho, like an neanderthals guide to Crysis on crack/slightly more mellow Quake or UT.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again here, the game either needs a weaponfov slider or (preferably) a 'small weapons' option

When weapons obscure so much of the view that they get in the way of seeing what's going on then you're doing it wrong.

I hope someone on pc figures out how to simply hide the weapon models, I'd rather play with just a crosshair than these ridiculous potatoes blocking the screen

Anna

Neo Member
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again here, the game either needs a weaponfov slider or (preferably) a 'small weapons' option

When weapons obscure so much of the view that they get in the way of seeing what's going on then you're doing it wrong.

I hope someone on pc figures out how to simply hide the weapon models, I'd rather play with just a crosshair than these ridiculous potatoes blocking the screen

It always threw me off going into the multiplayer beta and the weapon's just filling up 1/3 of the screen. I found the gameplay was a good distraction from it, but my initial impression was always just "Christ, I wish my weapon was smaller." The gun models are nice, but it's not like I have to see every speck of dust up close.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Eh. I mean, they are big weapons. Even small weapons obstruct a good amount of your view when you're shooting at things.

That's the nature of it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
it does look fun, but doesn't look like Doom. The levels look Dead Simple. Just arenas with hallways attaching them. I hope there's more to it than that. I want the labyrinthine levels full of secrets(and keycards) like class Dooms had. Still, the game looks fun on it's own merits.
Was that a pun?

Eh. I mean, they are big weapons. Even small weapons obstruct a good amount of your view when you're shooting at things.

That's the nature of it.

In most pc centric shooters the weapon will block maybe 5-10 percent of your view, not 30 percent like here

I draw the line WAY below the size of these doom weapons

Where do you draw the line? 50 percent? 80 percent? 99 percent? Why not just have the game be a close up zoom on a part of the weapon while you try to play by sound cues :p

Vex_

Banned
As a pad player, that doesn't really look all that fast turning speed wise. There is heavy use of motion blur that may give that illusion, but that doesnt look like anything I havent seen before.

The MOVEMENT speed is super fucking fast tho. Dude is gliding around the stage. Looks great. Might have to get on my 980.

coastel

Game looks really good, I will getting this on PC seeing as I'm not interested in the multi player. Can't wait to see it maxed out (or close on a 970) I hope. Damn though does that look quick going to be some getting used to as I usually play on console or does the console version look just as fast?

Aurongel

Game looks really good, I will getting this on PC seeing as I'm not interested in the multi player. Can't wait to see it maxed out (or close on a 970) I hope. Damn though does that look quick going to be some getting used to as I usually play in console or does the console version look just as fast?

This PC footage uses a wider FOV than the console footage if I'm remembering it accurately. A wider FOV exaggerates distances and gives the illusion of increased speed. Also, the game just moves really damn fast on a normal day so there's that too.

coastel

This PC footage uses a wider FOV than the console footage if I'm remembering it accurately. A wider FOV exaggerates distances and gives the illusion of increased speed. Also, the game just moves really damn fast on a normal day so there's that too.

Ah I see and will have to get better with a keyboard and mouse for this as usually use the xbox controller for FPS games I have played on PC so far.

I recall there being a FOV slider in the console game as well, was in one of the longer videos interviewing some ID guy. Not 100 percent sure though..

kuYuri

It might be me, but the animations look really sped up? I don't remember them being that fast. Both the super shotgun reload animation and the executions look faster than previous trailers that I had seen.

It might be me, but the animations look really sped up? I don't remember them being that fast. Both the super shotgun reload animation and the executions look faster than previous trailers that I had seen.
The player has upgrades/runes/whatever that increase movement, reload, and glory kill speed. You won't be that fast at the start of the game.

Top Bottom