• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

I wonder when the 3080ti will be announced? It looks like the 3080 20GB version isn't a ti/super.
It's the same thing. The only thing they could improve on the the 3080 Standard is to either add more memory, which is what's happening. OR give it the same BUS as the 3090 and/or add more memory.

Siri

Banned
It won't be called Ti but there will be 3080 with more VRAM (20GB).

Edit: maybe.

But the TI versions are always 20-30% faster than the base xx80 version. That’s what makes it a TI. If it’s not faster then it’s not a TI. No TI card has ever been just a VRAM upgrade???

Or are you saying that the card that will be slotted into the position that was formerly taken up by the TI version will be the tweaked 3080 version? You must be saying that?

Either way, it looks like we won’t be getting a faster version of the 3080 that runs almost as fast as the 3090, but costs less (which, again, is what the TI was all about).

EDIT: I don’t think I’m speaking for just myself here.... weren’t some of you hoping for a TI version, say, 6 months from now? I sure was.

Last edited:
I wonder when the 3080ti will be announced? It looks like the 3080 20GB version isn't a ti/super.

I thought there wasn't enough room between the 3080 & 3090 (besides VRAM) for a Ti. Nvidia themselves are saying 10-15% performance difference at 4K and below. AIB partners could just slap another 10GB on, but that's not a new model and Nvidia wouldn't necessarily need to manufacture or announce it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
But the TI versions are always 20-30% faster than the base xx80 version. That’s what makes it a TI. If it’s not faster then it’s not a TI. No TI card has ever been just a VRAM upgrade???

Or are you saying that the card that will be slotted into the position that was formerly taken up by the TI version will be the tweaked 3080 version? You must be saying that?

Either way, it looks like we won’t be getting a faster version of the 3080 that runs almost as fast as the 3090, but costs less (which, again, is what the TI was all about).

EDIT: I don’t think I’m speaking for just myself here.... weren’t some of you hoping for a TI version, say, 6 months from now? I sure was.

How could they add more performance to the 3080 for a Ti version when the gap towards the 3090 is only 15-20% (at best), there's simply no possible room for a Ti.

Last edited:

I think a lot of us were hoping for a what you speak of, essentially a 20% boost over the 3080, but with how little a performance differential there is between the 3080 and 3090, there's not much room for a Ti model in between. Which, in other generations would be reason to be upset, but with how much performance we are getting from the 3080, there's no real reason to be upset. More memory is just a nice buffer and offers some overhead for the 3080 to help a bit with future proofing.

waylo

Banned
No way they do a Ti version of the 3080 when the 3090 is only 10-15% better. What are they gonna do, release a card 5% faster? They might call the 20GB version the Ti, but it'll be in name only and not the typical performance boost.

No way they do a Ti version of the 3080 when the 3090 is only 10-15% better. What are they gonna do, release a card 5% faster? They might call the 20GB version the Ti, but it'll be in name only and not the typical performance boost.
This has been what we've all been saying for the better part of the last 2 weeks.

Eil5zC5XcAAEXQa

Rikkori

But the TI versions are always 20-30% faster than the base xx80 version. That’s what makes it a TI.

Usually the Ti skus are based on a superior chip which would be used for Titans. In this case 3090 & 3080 share the same chip but a bit cut down for the latter. So there's a lot less room to make a further cut for it. It's still possible, but I don't think it's likely.

TheContact

It won't be called Ti but there will be 3080 with more VRAM (20GB).

Edit: maybe.

Very likely

Gigabyte RTX 3060 (Ti/SUPER)Gigabyte RTX 3070 16GB (Ti/SUPER)Gigabyte RTX 3080 20GB
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 30 Series (unreleased)
Gigabyte RTX 3060 (Ti/SUPER) EAGLE OC8GB
GV-3060SEAGLE OC-8GD
Gigabyte RTX 3070 (Ti/SUPER) GAMING OC 16GB
GV-3070SGAMING OC-16GD
Gigabyte RTX 3080 GAMING OC 20GB
GV-308GAMING OC-20GD
Gigabyte RTX 3070 (Ti/SUPER) AORUS MASTER 16GB
GV-307SAORUS M-16GD
Gigabyte RTX 3080 AORUS MASTER 20GB
GV-308SAORUS M-20GD

Below: watch dogs compatbility, compare it to the 20GB SKU

GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-3080-20GB.png

Also a 3060 likely as well:
VideoCardzGPUBoard (FE/Ref)CUDA CoresMemoryLaunch Date
RTX 30908nm GA102-300PG136/132 SKU 30

24GB G6X
September 24th
RTX 3080 20GB8nm GA102-TBCPG133/132 SKU 20

20GB G6X
After Big Navi
RTX 3080 10GB8nm GA102-200PG133/132 SKU 10

10GB G6X
September 17th
RTX 3070 Ti/SUPER8nm GA104-TBCPG142/141 SKU 10

16GB G6
After Big Navi
RTX 30708nm GA104-300PG142/141 SKU 10

8GB G6
October 15th
RTX 3060 Ti/SUPER8nm GA104-200PG190 SKU 20

8GB G6
Late October
RTX 3060TBCnm GA106TBCTBCTBCNo date

Not really any different than the 20xx series and their main releases, super variants, and even the crazy amount of different 2060's.

I guess that's true. In some ways I still base their offerings and the performance differences between said offerings on the older gens, like the 7xx and 9xx series. Remember when the x90 cards were dual gpu? Ah, those were the days.

You've gamed at 8K on an 8K screen before?
It will be noticeable but not as noticeable as the jump from 1080p to 4k (x4 vs x2).

I'm also wondering how noticeable it will be on most popular TV sizes for sofa gaming (55/65 inches). On a big ass 80+ inch TV obviously it will make a huge difference...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It will be noticeable but not as noticeable as the jump from 1080p to 4k (x4 vs x2).

I'm also wondering how noticeable it will be on most popular TV sizes for sofa gaming (55/65 inches). On a big ass 80+ inch TV obviously it will make a huge difference...
It really depends on the end user's past experience, the viewing conditions, and the equipment. There's a lot of variables out there.

Take your first sentence, for example. It's biased towards an enthusiast point of view in that it assumes the average person is going from 4K to 8K. It completely disregards the possibility of someone's mind getting blown by going from 1080p to 8K.

Take your first sentence, for example. It's biased towards an enthusiast point of view in that it assumes the average person is going from 4K to 8K. It completely disregards the possibility of someone's mind getting blown by going from 1080p to 8K.
It's not biased, it's based on the progression of technology. We went from 720p to 1080p to 4k to now 8k for HD TV resolution.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then no.

No offense, but I don't think you have the proper experience to justifiably make the claim that going to 8K isn't that noticeable.
Even 1080p to 4k is not too justifiable visuals to performance ratio. But it looks sharp and I hate aliasing. 8k downsampling looks like a ground truth render

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's not biased, it's based on the progression of technology. We went from 720p to 1080p to 4k to now 8k for HD TV resolution.
Think of it this way,

1080p-4K-8K-Resolution-Graphic.jpg

That is not going to be the end user experience of every person on Earth, because everyone has a slightly different history and so the jump for enthusiasts like us who are very familiar with that progression of technology is going to be very different from someone, say, who is has only really experienced 1080/30p gaming the majority of their life.

Last edited:
If I get 3080 and it will be obsolete because even 3070ti will have 16gb of vram... I will not be happy
It wouldn't be obsolete at all. The memory bus alone is a huge difference not to mention the quality of the memory in GDDR6X being completely different and substantially better than GDDR6. The vast difference in bandwidth alone is what puts the 3080 in a class above the 3070 or any Ti variants.

Last edited:
Think of it this way,

What you said is completely factual : "It will be noticeable but not as noticeable as the jump from 1080p to 4k (x4 vs x2)."

But that is not going to be the end user experience of every person on Earth, because everyone has a slightly different history and so the jump for enthusiasts like use who are very familiar with that progression of technology is going to be very different from someone, say, who is has only really experienced 1080/30p gaming the majority of their life.
Pointless discussion, I was wrong. 1080p to 4k = the same jump as from 4k to 8k.

It will be noticeable. The bigger the screen, the bigger the difference.

Last edited:
lol I was so preoccupied with pointing out the importance of acknowledging the subjective difference, I didn't even notice that error.
Yesterday I bought LG CX 65'' and I honestly don't know if more pixels are needed for this screen size and screen viewing distance (~ 2.5 meters). I guess it's one of those things that you don't know that can be better until you see it with your own eyes and then you can't go back.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yesterday I bought LG CX 65'' and I honestly don't know if more pixels are needed for this screen size and screen viewing distance (~ 2.5 meters). I guess it's one of those things that you don't know that can be better until you see it with your own eyes and then you can't go back.
That's what I mean when I stress the importance of viewing conditions and end user experience and history. There are so many variables that influence this subjective viewing experience. The more picky among us could objectively measure things like pixel pitch and viewing distance until screen door effect and other such things, but that just sucks the fun out of what should be an enjoyable entertainment experience.

Ulysses 31

I guess it's one of those things that you don't know that can be better until you see it with your own eyes and then you can't go back.
People with 4K screens go back all the time to consoles games at 1080p or even lower with Switch. 8K won't bring a dramatic difference unless it's a very HQ 8K source and then you'd have to be close to the screen to see it.

BWJinxing

I had camped the stock pages yesotray. i had 3 attempts and fucked up.

1) Stepped away to let my cat in and missed stoc
2) Newegg started selling the cards in bundles, and caught people off-guard ... but i forgot my paypal password
3) People caught on to newegg selling the cards as bundles, the website imploded. by the time i got to the shipping speed, all you could buy was the combo add-on.

BWJinxing

I'd feel so much better if I could just preorder my shit and step away and have them send me my card within a few weeks. I don't mind waiting, I just hate having to camp by my PC to even hope for a spot of a chance that maybe I can order a card.

I was looking at CDW, and they have some on backorder and will allow you to order one, but there is no guaranty of potential ship date, the prices are abit high, and ive never ordered from them before.

Also thy just have MSI and Zotac

I was looking at CDW, and they have some on backorder and will allow you to order one, but there is no guaranty of potential ship date, the prices are abit high, and ive never ordered from them before.

Also thy just have MSI and Zotac

I called them this morning when the TUF said it would be available in 1-3 days. She said that was an error and that they have no idea when they will be getting more 3080s of any flavor.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I just got off the phone with Microcenter. I was told that there are already over ten people lined up for the RTX 3090! I'm headed there now. Hopefully I can get there before there are twenty people.

Herr Edgy

Valve got this right. When the Index got back in stock in, what was it, March? It was available for about 3 seconds. But if you managed to push that green button, it was reserved for you. Due to server traffic I couldn't pay for it for multiple hours, yet I still got it once I could finally pay.

Top Bottom