• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS (Unconfirmed?)

According to brightsideofthenews.com
When Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of nVidia announced that he expects to see Tegra capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years, a lot of people thought that this is a smoke screen to sway the attention from its battles against AMD and Intel.

Incredibly how it may sound, from what we are hearing nVidia is dead on achieving its course. With a very aggressive approach, the company managed to sway not just Microsoft with the Zune HD multimedia player [based on Tegra APX 2600], but also a long-time IBM and ATI customer - Nintendo.

Launched in 2004, the Nintendo DS and its two latter redesigns [DS Lite and DSi] sold in massive 111.49 million units. With almost 40 million handheld consoles sold in United States alone, Nintendo DS owns 68.3% of worldwide market share.

As the time passed by, Nintendo started to work on the successor of its handheld console with a debut planned for late 2010 [Tokyo Game Show?]. According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

Given the fact that Nintendo DS hardware is based upon 16-bit and 32-bit ARM cores, it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library. According to our sources, all of the apps that came for old DS could run on a single ARM11 core, yet alone the next-gen CorTex-A9-based Tegra, leaving graphics subsystem to do "something smarter".

Currently, we have no information what exact chip is being used [just that nVidia won the contract], but with the debut set for February 2010, the second generation of Tegra chips could make an excellent base [to be launched at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona].
The question of power consumption and performance is quite aninteresting one. With Gen2 Tegra offering quite a graphics punch;GeForce 9 based hardware [CUDA-enabled design] should offer immenseexperience on small screens - we see no reason why you could not have4x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering on a dual-screen system.If Nintendo picked the current gen hardware, i.e. Tegra 600 or APX 2600- it will be getting 65nm chips. If they go with 2nd gen parts, theywill get 40nm chips offering higher performance and lower powerconsumption. The moment we learn about the exact hardware going intoNintendo's next-gen console, we'll inform you.

Thus, it is not hard for us to imagine that Tegra could outship GeForce boards just like Intel's Atom CPU shipped in more units than expensive Nehalem processors. Naturally, the profit ratio is significantly different, but something in the range of $4-5 per chip would mean nVidia could earn half a billion USD from a single deal [over the course of life for the Nintendo's next-gen part].

Now, the billion dollar question is: if Nintendo chose nVidia for the handheld console, does that mean nVidia may have an entrance into the lucrative Wii business? Bear in mind that Wii console was sold in 53.97 million units, taking almost half of current console market [48.4%, according to ********.com]. Also, we wonder what is going to be in next-generation PlayStation Portable...

Cool if true. Recently on a podcast I heard the graphics of Project Gotham Racing on the Zune HD to be "just below Xbox 1" graphics.

Well, I guess DSi is the next GBC after all.

assuming it eventually gets more than two exclusive retail games, and from publishers people have actually heard of

CO_Andy

I was fearing for nVidia but this is good news.

At this point the company needs to do whatever it can to stay relevant, even if that means working on the cheap.

Chrono

Banned
What does this mean in terms of power, how much more powerful than DS and PSP would that handheld approximately be?

ShinNL

I really hope not because I've heard many stories about nVidia cards frying in notebooks. Also my own :(

(now switched to ATI permanently)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is that chip more potent than the PSP or iPhone GPU ?

it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library.

Best handheld ever if true ;-)

rezuth said:
I would expect a machine that matches the iPhone 3GS.

Does the iphone 3gs do 4 x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering??it seems i havent noticed that, although i havent seen a graphic intense game on that system.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Good, can't come soon enough. Sub-N64-level 3D should have gone the way of the dodo in 2000.

Deku

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Is that chip more potent than the PSP or iPhone GPU ?

Best handheld ever if true ;-)

Would be pretty dumb of them to note make DS-2 backwards compatible considering their biggest hardware platforms in company history had that feature.

But power is a bit irrelevant especially going up again the iPhone. Considering Apple cranks one out every 6-8 months, I'm sure by the time the DS-2 rolls out, Apple would have a similar if not more capable iphone on the market for thrice the cost.

What would be of most importance is the the chip doesn't overheat, and is a good base for the next 6 years of portable gaming. I certainly have faith Nintendo will design a good platform that doesn't break every 2 months.

Though all this is based on a speculative piece. I wouldn't expect the DS2 for another 2 years.

CTLance

Hmmm hmmm. Although I'd have preferred a PowerVR core because I have a boner for tilebased rendering, this is good news. At least this design won't have a hardcoded 300k-triangle limit or other oddities. I hope.

rezuth

Bluemercury said:
Does the iphone 3gs do 4 x Anti-Aliasing and 8x Anisotropic filtering??it seems i havent noticed that, although i havent seen a graphic intense game on that system.
The chip supports it and the iPhone OS uses it by default but I'm uncertain if developers can use it. However with OpenGL ES, I don't see why they should not be able to do it on the iPhone 3GS.

Raistlin

rezuth said:
Nintendo DS has aged pretty badly.

That's hardly surprising, given it wasn't even state-of-the-art at launch.

godhandiscen said:
That is over a generation ahead of the PSP/DS. Hopefully the chip Nintendo gets is as powerful.

Is this somehow implying the PSP and DS are similar generations? :lol

inner-G said:
come on nintendo, put video out on it!!

that wouldn't make sense if it's 2 screens again.
you have seen that enormous thingy they need to display the 2 screens of the DS on one TV screen?

Onix said:
That's hardly surprising, given it wasn't even state-of-the-art at launch.

Is this somehow implying the PSP and DS are similar generations? :lol
considering how they are direct competitors, that would put them in the same generation, unless you mean to imply that my connotation of a generation of hardware is wrong?

Biff

This actually explains all of Nvidia's strange activity the past couple weeks. Talking specifically about the whole giving-this-quarter-to-ATI-as-an-early-Christmas-gift thing.

"Here ATI, enjoy your 58xx sales, you deserve them! Oh, btw, you're done by 2011. lol"

inner-G

Banned
Somnid said:
You mean 2 video outs?

they could show both screens at once, with black space around it.It would be small, but playable. It's only a 2" screen to start with.

It would suck for touch games, but be awesome for RPGs.

Instro

This would be pretty huge for Nvidia, people already seem to be jumping on the stock...assuming it turns out true. :lol

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
TouchMyBox said:
I want to believe, but this sounds too good to be true. :\

I know what you mean.

All this does is make me wonder just what direction Nintendo plans to take with the Wii's successor, if there is one.

Top Bottom