• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS (Unconfirmed?)

Somnid

charlequin said:
Neither system lets you actually run things directly from the SD card; it always copies it to the internal flash, helping to wear it out faster in the process. It's an improvement but not a sufficiently huge one.

A fairly non-existant problem means it's not "sufficent" when the solution offers huge usability improvements and has effectively solved issues for nearly everyone?

I don't agree and even if I did there are better arguments you could make (I'll give you a hint: file size limit), which indicates you probably haven't given this much thought and are just trying to fit what you can find to your preconceived argument.

Somnid said:
A fairly non-existant problem means it's not "sufficent" when the solution offers huge usability improvements and has effectively solved issues for nearly everyone?

Nope, it's still garbage, and people who aren't transparent fanbots (or perhaps are just actually familiar with what the options on competing systems provide) are generally pretty clear on that.

Nintendo completely failed to deliver a decent solution for DD content this generation, which is why their systems' DD content sells poorly and is undervalued compared to their competition.

SD cards would be a great solution if Nintendo would allow the Wii to come with one of at least 16GB as well as update the OS to directly download and open files on it.

charlequin said:
Neither system lets you actually run things directly from the SD card; it always copies it to the internal flash, helping to wear it out faster in the process. It's an improvement but not a sufficiently huge one.

I understand the issue here, but has anyone actually had a bad flash module? Seems like a non-issue.

EDIT: Haha, noticed my complete contradiction there. But you get the point! :)

KuwabaraTheMan said:
We're not seeing the DS2 until 2011 at the earliest. That's just plain simple, given the recent release of the LL. As long as the DS is printing money, they've got no reason to push out the next iteration.
There is a reason. First mover advantage.

If they get a jump on their competition by a year, it can help cement their new system as the market leader. It's not a slam dunk maneuver by any means, but it certainly helps - see the XBox 360 in the US.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
bmf said:
There is a reason. First mover advantage.

If they get a jump on their competition by a year, it can help cement their new system as the market leader. It's not a slam dunk maneuver by any means, but it certainly helps - see the XBox 360 in the US.
+ Its not like the DSi will just stop sellin because of that, they will still sell very well just like the ps2 did... the next ds would be the high tech ds for us geeks i guess. i guess end of 2010 in japan...

FoxSpirit

If the things got better 3D than the PSP and the upcoming OLED screens which provide good daylight reading, I'm all for it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
FoxSpirit said:
If the things got better 3D than the PSP and the upcoming OLED screens which provide good daylight reading, I'm all for it.

Better 3D graphics than the PSP should be a lock if the Tegra rumor are true...

Koren

Shin Johnpv said:
OLED screens need to be the future of everything. I have a Zune HD and the screen on it is amazing.
Isn't Sony working on small-size (mobile phones, but I guess that could fit a PSP2) laser screens?

I think this technology is far better than OLED... (will probably not be ready for PSP2, though)

I have no idea how good/bad a laser screen is as I've never seen one. I have sceen an OLED screen (like I said Zune HD has one) and its the first thin screen technology I've seen that matches CRT in image quality. It kills plamsa's and lcds in blacks and colors.

Durante

Yea, OLED contrast is amazing. I certainly hope both future handhelds will use OLED, but I can see Nintendo at least holding back on that for the first refresh.

sfried

I suggest Nintendo use Pixel Qi for their next handheld. Not only does it have better contrast in indoorlighting, but it's the only one with visibility better than TFT outdoors.

zigg

charlequin said:

I don't know what the specs are on these, but each sector on a typical commercially-available chip sports 100,000 write cycles. Considering that these systems constantly write to (admittedly smaller) sections every time you turn them on and off, I don't think you're going to find it's a problem unless you're launching 100 different games every day that take up the same blocks every time... and even then you're going to take three years to wear it out.

It's not ideal by any stretch, but it's hardly markedly worse than what any other designed-to-last-till-next-upgrade-season consumer equipment does.

FoneBone

charlequin said:
Nintendo completely failed to deliver a decent solution for DD content this generation, which is why their systems' DD content sells poorly and is undervalued compared to their competition.
Not that the storage issues are irrelevant, but I'd say their failure to promote DD content to their userbase is a much bigger factor.

FoneBone said:
Not that the storage issues are irrelevant, but I'd say their failure to promote DD content to their userbase is a much bigger factor.

I don't really want to get into a "if your cat pisses and shits on the couch, which one made the couch dirty?" argument (especially since in this case the cat also dragged garbage onto the couch and then threw up on it) but the storage problems are what stopped people who actually were already buying content to, by and large, stop.

Durante said:
OLED isn't any worse in direct sunlight than backlit LCD displays.

no really. in direct sunlight an oled screen is impossible to see. dunno if new iterations of the tech improved, but i heard a lot of complaints about it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Somnid said:
Yeah, Nintendo is releasing a new DS only 2 years after the DSi (less for NA and Europe), and in the same year as the world-wide release of the DSi XL while both systems are burning up the sales charts.

What fantasy world do you people live in anyway?
A fantasy world where they did the same with the GBC, GBA and DS?

turnbuckle

charlequin said:
I don't really want to get into a "if your cat pisses and shits on the couch, which one made the couch dirty?" argument (especially since in this case the cat also dragged garbage onto the couch and then threw up on it) but the storage problems are what stopped people who actually were already buying content to, by and large, stop.

Absolutely. In the case of the Wii, the storage limit is what prompted me to just box the system and put it in the closet. I blew a few hundred on the virtual console within the first 18 months of its release, and got to a point where I was forced to either use an SD card or delete/re-download. Being too lazy to do either and seeing the comments about the whole fridge thing (or something to do with cleaning out a fridge being akin to clearing out data as opposed to offering a real and convenient fix), I gave up. The key selling point of the console was about useless to me, and with PSN/XBLA getting more support I just accepted that since I don't have time and money to play and buy everything, I'll only play and buy the things I want that allow me to do so with the least hassle.

As for the rest of the thread -

I would be surprised if the successor came out next year, but it wouldn't be because of its proximity to the release of the DSI and the DSXL (can't remember what it's called). Nintendo has got to be making a killing on the hardware now, and it's still selling incredibly well. I don't think the "first mover" factor will matter much, because many of the things a PSP2 would offer over the DSi to attract new customers are already in place with the PSP.

I would prefer a PSP2 than a DS2 at this point though, because the DSi still gets a lot of play while my PSP has been sitting in its box next to the Wii for a little while. I think Sony really screwed things up by releasing the Go (captain obvious). The PSP brand has been having a renaissance of sorts in the last year or two, and I really felt if they could just carry that momentum to the PSP2 then they'd be in a good position. Instead, it looks like we're going to see yet another revision and I can only imagine that would stand to push back any plans for a successor a little ways further.

But as I'm not getting any younger, the sooner either of these come out the better. By keeping the DS relatively understated all along, a DS2 released at any point will undoubtedly be a huge jump and I certainly look forward to it. If Nintendo decides to preempt Sony and release it next year, I'll be first in line. :D

Somnid

charlequin said:

I took Nintendo Channel figures at two points, one last year and one this year, roughly a year apart, many of Nintendo's DD games doubled in sales during that time frame. I really don't think people stopped buying games, in fact it looks more like they bought more.

grandjedi6 said:
A fantasy world where they did the same with the GBC, GBA and DS?

This would be a much closer cut than the micro in terms of schedualing.

Massa said:
The head of Ubisoft Brasil, Bertrand Chaverot, recently said they were selected as one of the companies to work on concepts for next-gen DS games, and their São Paulo studio is already working on that.

Link

Odd. When I checked the translated site, it was talking about the PC :s

felipeko

vectorman06 said:
Odd. When I checked the translated site, it was talking about the PC :s
The problem is here:
Today we are preparing the concept to make a game to a new machine, the successor to the current generation of laptops.
Google translates "laptops" from "portáteis" when actually it's handhelds.

Datschge

FoxSpirit said:
Yes, the upcoming OLED screens will fix that and be actually better than transflective LCDs.
The video you linked makes the OLED screen look worse than the transflective LCD screen when the sunlight from the window falls on it though. Colors by the OLED in room light conditions seem to be much better and brilliant, but I see nothing anymore once sunlight drops onto it. The transflective LCD screen next to it "only" washes out even more, but you can still see there is something on the screen.

FoxSpirit

Datschge said:
The video you linked makes the OLED screen look worse than the transflective LCD screen when the sunlight from the window falls on it though. Colors by the OLED in room light conditions seem to be much better and brilliant, but I see nothing anymore once sunlight drops onto it. The transflective LCD screen next to it "only" washes out even more, but you can still see there is something on the screen.

Are we watching the same video and reading the same labels?

Datschge

FoxSpirit said:
Are we watching the same video and reading the same labels?
Are you?

The video is crap since there is only a very short section starting at 0:50 where sunlight falls directly on the screen. On the OLED Samsung one on the left the sunlight is reflected fully while on the transflective LCD Nokia on the right the reflection is dimmed allowing whatever little light the screen still has left to pass through.

I will readily agree the OLED is the way to go. Fully reflective screen covers like used here on the Samsung still are not the way to go, even with OLED behind it like that video section succinctly shows.

nightez said:
Iwata just confirmed the next generation DS will output high resolution graphics. It will also use a motion sensor.

http://www.asahi.com/digital/pc/OSK201001050110.html
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/0...ds-successor-with-motion-sensor-in-the-works/

Motion control and handhelds are such a terrible, terrible mix, why does it feel like I'm the only one that sees this?

Still confirmation of a higher resolution display is nice, guess the rumours of a Tegra DS are a little more likely now.

Datschge

brain_stew said:
Motion control and handhelds are such a terrible, terrible mix, why does it feel like I'm the only one that sees this?
Detection of orientation (for changing display between normal orientation and left/right handed book orientation) should have been in DS from day one though.

swerve

brain_stew said:
why does it feel like I'm the only one that sees this?

Because you never played Wario Ware Twisted, Happy Panechu, or KoroKoroKirby? Or perhaps because you don't care about having a LocoRoco game done right?

Top Bottom